Photo

Sources: Chris Paul's Rep's: Don't Bother Calling, He's Re-Signing With The Clips (Pg. 2)

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,605 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted February 09, 2013 - 12:17 PM

Source: Chris Paul 99.5% Chance Of Staying With Clippers

Chris+Paul+Los+Angeles+Clippers+v+Golden

By Marc Stein

The Los Angeles Clippers remain confident that they will re-sign Chris Paul this offseason, but they are also in win-now mode and might be a player or two short from truly contending for a title.

"I'm saying 99.5 percent." said one source close to the situation about the odds of Paul remaining with the Clippers beyond the current season.

The Clippers know trading away Eric Bledsoe before Paul signs a new deal is a major risk, but trading him away is also their best shot at significantly improving their roster. Sources say doing nothing before the deadline could be the bigger gamble in regards to Paul.

http://espn.go.com/n...10/weekend-dime

Edited by LALakersFan4Life, June 29, 2013 - 10:26 PM.

#2 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is A Wanker!

• 7,042 posts
  • Name:Prince George
  • Fan Since:2014
  • Fav. Laker:Prince & The Revolution

Posted February 09, 2013 - 02:36 PM

What!?!

Posted Image

Edited by Mr Terrific, February 09, 2013 - 02:38 PM.

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#3 Alpha Four

Alpha Four

Fugitive Alien

• 501 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 09, 2013 - 06:54 PM

Cloppers better hope he does. They turn into a bottom-tier team without him on the floor as evidenced this season.

MDADefense_zpsb51f57fb.jpg

#4 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted February 09, 2013 - 07:37 PM

Cloppers better hope he does. They turn into a bottom-tier team without him on the floor as evidenced this season.

:cool2:
Posted Image

#5 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,395 posts

Posted February 09, 2013 - 08:12 PM

Shocking.

#6 K-Kris

K-Kris

Forum Browser

• 615 posts
  • Name:Kris
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 10, 2013 - 09:23 AM

.5% lakers lol

#7 Alpha Four

Alpha Four

Fugitive Alien

• 501 posts
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted February 10, 2013 - 05:41 PM

HUURRR IT'S FUNNAY CAUSE HE LIEKS MLP AND SAID CLOPPER!

Step your game up.

MDADefense_zpsb51f57fb.jpg

#8 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,605 posts

Posted February 24, 2013 - 07:37 PM

Chris Paul Publicly Denies Having Already Made Free Agency Decision

Posted Image

By T.J. SIMERS
Los Angeles Times
Published: Friday, Feb. 22, 2013 - 12:00 am
Last Modified: Sunday, Feb. 24, 2013 - 11:24 am

LOS ANGELES-I'm thinking the best place for Dwight Howard's statue outside Staples is right beside Oscar De La Hoya's 7-foot likeness.

That way they can keep the guys together who have been beaten up the most in the building.

De La Hoya was 0-1 in Staples and so Mitch Kupchak probably has it right: Dwight really doesn't need to do all that much to get his own.

But now what do they do if Chris Paul completes one of the greatest turnarounds in sports history and leads the Clippers to an NBA championship?

"I'm just happy I made it through the trading deadline," cracked Paul, as humble as he has been huge in making the Clippers relevant.

OK, so maybe the Clippers weren't prime-time TNT fare the way they played against the Spurs Thursday night. Actually, they were more road kill than NBA feel-good story, down by 28 after three quarters.

Some of the blame for the post-All Star malaise has to go to Paul, who isn't always aggressive on offense early. He took four shots in the first half, too slow to notice that his teammates didn't have it.

But still bound for the playoffs - and don't the Lakers wish they could be so certain? - Paul and the Clippers have something special brewing.

Blake Griffin has become basketball's answer to football's Peyton Manning when it comes to commercials. And in addition to pushing insurance as his twin brother Cliff, Paul will soon start hawking Untouchable cologne for Avon.

Now why a man would want to wear a cologne that makes him untouchable with the ladies, I don't know.

Paul has already taped commercial spots with his son, little Chris, which will be shown beginning Father's Day - potentially the date of Game 6 of the NBA Finals.

"I remember I had Michael Jordan stuff when I was a kid," said Paul. "I thought if I smelled like him I might play like him."

He might not be Jordan, but he's such a force, if Commissioner David Stern hadn't stopped him from being traded to the Lakers, folks might be talking today about how smart Jim Buss was in acquiring him.

How many lives have been changed because he's not with the Lakers and instead playing like he loves the Clippers?

Like Howard, who will be free to play anywhere when the season ends, Paul will make more money if he stays with the team currently employing him.

Yahoo.com's Adrian Wojnarowski recently reported inaccurately that Paul is "planning to re-sign with the Los Angeles Clippers, punctuating his pick-and-roll partnership with Griffin with a maximum contract extension and final say about every move their franchise now makes."

It sounds good to the Clippers, and might happen. And DeAndre Jordan still might become a force at center for the Clippers.

But Paul said, "No, I haven't decided what I am going to do next season, and no, I haven't told anyone what I'm going to do."

It's a good guess Paul will return. And too often that's journalism today. You know that if you were following all the reports from sources that had players being traded by the NBA deadline.

Now maybe the day is coming when Paul will have the final say in every move the Clippers make, possibly beginning with Coach Vinny Del Negro's future with the team.

But Paul passed on the opportunity to vote thumbs up or down on talking with Boston about Kevin Garnett, preferring to remain the team's starting point guard rather than its personnel director.

"I like what we have going on here," he said. "And the most exciting thing, the thing that makes me the happiest is Chauncey (Billups) is back and going through this with us."

The Clippers didn't have Billups a year ago when they were swept out of the playoffs by the Spurs, but San Antonio didn't seem unnerved by his return.

The Spurs have the best record in the West, and it's easy to understand why after they reminded everyone what it was like to go to a Clippers game before Paul arrived.

Five of the Clippers next seven games come against teams with winning records, one blowout no big deal as long as there is no carryover.

As it is, folks now expect more out of the Clippers, a statue of one of their players outside Staples no longer such a farfetched idea.

But it's going to take more than a 1-for-6 shooting performance from Paul over three quarters.

I would have told him so, too, knowing how much he likes to be challenged. But that would have meant staying to the very end of Thursday's debacle, and I can take only so much after watching as many Lakers games as I have this season.

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/02/22/5208718/tj-simers-despite-thumping-paul.html#mi_rss=Kings/NBA

#9 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,605 posts

Posted May 05, 2013 - 07:08 PM

Chris Paul Undecided On Future

Chris+Paul+Los+Angeles+Clippers+v+Memphi

By Arash Markazi | ESPNLosAngeles.com

PLAYA VISTA, Calif. -- Chris Paul left the Los Angeles Clippers' training facility Saturday afternoon for the last time this season, giving no indication of whether he would return.

"I don't know how this whole thing is going to play out," Paul said. "I'm going to pray about it. We'll see."

Paul passed on a chance to sign a three-year, $60 million extension with the Clippers last year, but can sign a five-year, $108 million deal this summer. He said he will take his time before deciding what he will do as an unrestricted free agent.

"All season long, it's something that I said I would address after the season and I really didn't think about it all during the season," Paul said. "The season's not even 24 hours from being over, so I really haven't thought about it. The craziest thing is that this season is over. I still haven't got that wrapped around my brain."

The best season in Clippers franchise history ended Friday night with a 118-105 loss to the Memphis Grizzlies in Game 6 of their first-round series.

Despite leading the Clippers to their first division title and a record 56-win season, Paul was still hurting from being eliminated in the playoffs. He never has advanced past the second round and has missed the playoffs or has been eliminated in the first round six times.

As he looks at where he wants to spend the next five years of his career, Paul said the opportunity to win a championship and play well into June will be a big factor.

"When I woke up this morning, little Chris had gotten in my bed and the first thing he said was, 'Daddy, why you lose again?' " Paul said. "I told my wife last night on the bus riding to the airport, that's the toughest thing now. He's old enough to understand what's going on and that we don't have any more games to go. I think about that type of stuff because that's my guy and we don't have any more games. He's going to be a little confused."

Blake Griffin signed a five-year, $95 million extension with the Clippers last summer and said he and his teammates would talk to Paul about re-signing in the offseason.

"He's a huge piece to our team moving forward," Griffin said. "He's going to know that we want him back and we would love for him to re-sign and keep moving forward with this franchise, but ultimately this is his decision. He has to do what's right for him and his family and we're going to be behind him."

Paul was influential in recruiting several players to sign with the Clippers in the offseason, including Matt Barnes and Grant Hill, and was a big reason why Chauncey Billups was comfortable converting to shooting guard in order to start alongside Paul.

Billups said he would like to return to the Clippers. He was only able to play 22 games during the regular season after coming back from a ruptured Achilles and dealing with several other injuries, but said he feels as good as he has in two years.

"I would love to be back here and continue to help in this process," Billups said. "I feel like we are getting closer. I definitely want to be a part of it and I'll be able to show everybody who I've always been with a summer of getting myself together, so hopefully it works out like that."

Billups, who will be 37 at the start of next season, said he hopes to play two more seasons and has no aspirations to be a head coach when his career is done.

"I'm focused on playing a couple more years," he said. "Two more years is my goal and after that my desire is more to be in the front office, not coaching. You never say never but my desire has never been to coach. It looks like I'm doing that now but I can't help myself. I would feel better about being in management and putting a team together."

Billups also said he would talk to Paul about returning.

Hill, who will be 41 at the start of next season, had hinted several times that this would be his last season after battling various injuries and only playing in 29 games. Hill, under contract for next season, didn't rule out the possibility he could come back for one more season after feeling healthy again.

"I feel as good as I've felt in the last two years," Hill said. "That may mean you should continue to play or get out while you're healthy, but I do feel great. It certainly may factor into what I may do going forward."

Barnes was able to have a career season after he signed with the Clippers for the veteran's minimum before training camp began at the urging of Paul. Barnes had 30 points and 10 rebounds Friday against the Grizzlies. He said he will explore his options but hinted that Paul already had begun recruiting him to re-sign with the team.

"Chris and I have already been talking about it," Barnes said. "We talked about it on the plan last night. He's obviously the franchise player but we also talked about what I was thinking about doing. Without giving anything away, he was doing his job (in recruiting me)."

Paul said he wouldn't necessarily have to be recruiting to stay with the Clippers, but also wasn't patting himself on the back for turning around the franchise from where it was before he arrived.

"I don't know. This right here was unacceptable," Paul said. "We lost in the first round to a good Memphis team but a team we were capable of beating. There are no moral victories ... I have nothing to do. This is unreal. We only played two weeks long than everyone else that didn't make the playoffs. That sucks. That stings."

Whether Paul believes the Clippers are capable of playing more than two weeks into the postseason likely will go a long way in deciding whether or not he will re-sign this summer, but he's in no rush to make that decision.

"I'm going to take my time," Paul said. "I haven't even thought about it. I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do the rest of the day. I might go home and swim with my son or something. This is nuts. I don't know what to do. I purposely didn't put anything on my calendar because we're supposed to still be playing."

http://espn.go.com/l...pers-eliminated

#10 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,170 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 05, 2013 - 07:35 PM

Go to the Lakers then.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#11 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

• 7,042 posts

Posted May 05, 2013 - 07:50 PM

Hope Grant Over the Hill comes back

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#12 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted May 06, 2013 - 08:40 AM

Well its a big comitment especially now hes only getting older and this coming contract will probably be a long term one so he should go to the team that gives him the best shot at winning . For some reason i think he will go to ATL
Posted Image

#13 TheOriginalCZM

TheOriginalCZM

Rookie

• 823 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fav. Laker:Brian Scalabrine

Posted May 06, 2013 - 11:50 AM

. For some reason i think he will go to ATL

Hell naw...if that's the case he might as well just retire now cause he's not getting a ring no time soon with them.

#14 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,395 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 11:58 AM

I'm very interested in this Chris Paul situation. I think he'll re-sign with the Clippers, but his attitude caught me off guard because this year we had heard how he wanted to stay a Clipper and how he thought they had a good thing going.

Now all of a sudden he needs time to think about it and the day after he said he doesn't know what will happen. 

Chris Paul believing he can win with the Clippers will be the deciding factor in his decision.  Does he believe that? I'm not sure.  

#15 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,170 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted May 06, 2013 - 01:14 PM

I'm very interested in this Chris Paul situation. I think he'll re-sign with the Clippers, but his attitude caught me off guard because this year we had heard how he wanted to stay a Clipper and how he thought they had a good thing going.

Now all of a sudden he needs time to think about it and the day after he said he doesn't know what will happen. 

Chris Paul believing he can win with the Clippers will be the deciding factor in his decision.  Does he believe that? I'm not sure.  

Maybe he realizes with Griffin as their second option(likely only true second option that's gonna ever be on that team) and all their depth they are still a first round exit team.

He isn't winning a championship with Griffin as the second option of that team no matter how hard he plays, I think that finally just hit him.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#16 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

• 7,042 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 02:08 PM

EyeTVSnapshot1.jpg

#17 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,605 posts

Posted May 06, 2013 - 06:20 PM

Clippers 'Very Confident' Of Chances To Re-Sign Chris Paul

Paul_Chris_lac_121212.jpg

PLAYA VISTA, Calif. -- When Chris Paul left the Los Angeles Clippers' training facility on Saturday, he was uncertain about his future with the team. On Monday, Clippers vice president of basketball operations Gary Sacks said he was "very confident" the All-Star point guard would eventually re-sign with the team.

Sacks met with Paul on Saturday during the team's exit interview and believes that he will be back, but was cautious about getting into details with Paul becoming an unrestricted free agent and not being able to sign an extension until July 1.

"A lot of that information we'll keep private, because that's an internal thing, but I feel very confident," Sacks said. "I think he's an integral part of this. We feel like we had a great partnership for the last couple of years and we want to continue it obviously. These are decisions that have to be made and some of them will be taken care of at the appropriate time. We can't talk to him until July 1, so we'll go ahead and do that. We'll move forward when it's appropriate."

Paul is eligible to sign a five-year, $108 million extension after July 1. He turned down a three-year, $60 million extension last summer. But that's mostly because the Clippers could only offer him a three-year extension at that point, under the terms of the new collective bargaining agreement.

"The No. 1 priority for us right now has to be re-signing our star player, Chris Paul," Sacks said. "That's our goal, that's what we want to do. We want to put ourselves in a position to do that. We feel this organization is in a position to move forward with that goal in mind. It's always difficult, it's never easy, but we feel confident we can be successful."

The Clippers will have to make another big decision before they are eligible to re-sign Paul as Vinny Del Negro's contract expires after June 1. The Clippers coach met with the media on Monday and understands that his future may be tied to the wishes of Paul and Blake Griffin, who signed a five-year, $95 million extension last year.

"I think all that plays a part," Del Negro said. "I enjoy working with them. They're great guys and they're incredibly talented. They're the nucleus of the team obviously that you want to keep intact and move forward with. I've enjoyed working with them and have seen their development."

Sacks said he would indeed meet with Paul, Griffin and others before deciding on who will be the team's next head coach.

"We want to have feedback from our players to hear what they have to say," Sacks said. "Whatever we do, we do as an organization. Of course you're going to listen to your star players. You're going to listen to all your employees when you're making these decisions but I don't think that's unusual."

After losing in the first round of the playoffs to the Memphis Grizzlies last week, Sacks understood how important this offseason would be to the future of the franchise with the team's franchise player and head coach becoming free agents.

"It's huge," Sacks said. "Every offseason is huge. Last offseason was huge. Vinny and I worked really closely to put this team together and get what we thought were the right pieces for our team to compete and be as good as we possibly could be as an organization. We came up short and that's a disappointment. But we have to look at a lot of the positives. I thought he and the staff did a really good job during the season. We need to move forward looking for ways of improving ourselves to go further and achieve our goals."

Paul was noncommittal about returning to the Clippers when he met with the media on Saturday but had previously stated that he loved living in Los Angeles and changing the culture of the long-suffering Clippers franchise.

"I'm going to take my time," Paul said. "I haven't even thought about it. I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do the rest of the day. I might go home and swim with my son or something. This is nuts. I don't know what to do. I purposely didn't put anything on my calendar because we're supposed to still be playing."

Sacks was hesitant to speak for Paul on Monday but was hopeful that there would be another news conference in July announcing Paul's long-term commitment to the Clippers.

"I think he enjoys living here and being in L.A.," Sacks said. "Obviously we enjoy having him here and having him a part of this team, so that's the most important thing, just moving forward with that."

http://espn.go.com/l...ul-re-sign-team

#18 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,926 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted May 06, 2013 - 10:31 PM

Chris is just watching the Knicks right now.

#19 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,605 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 09:46 PM

Source: 'Zero Chance' Chris Paul Bypasses Extra Guaranteed Year

Chris+Paul+Los+Angeles+Clippers+v+Memphi

By Marc Stein

Chris Paul has yet to commit to re-signing with the Los Angeles Clippers, but it is considered a probable outcome.

One source said that there are "too many positives" for Paul to remain with the Clippers.

Another source predicted that there's "zero chance" of Paul giving up the fifth year and nearly $30 million in additional guaranteed money.

The Clippers need to improve their roster in order to become a legitimate title contender, and Paul could potentially force his way out via trade after signing a new deal should the pieces not come together.

http://espn.go.com/b...is-paul-staying

Edited by LALakersFan4Life, May 10, 2013 - 09:53 PM.

#20 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

• 10,605 posts

Posted May 10, 2013 - 09:54 PM

Matt Barnes Betting On Chris Paul Re-Signing With Clippers

Matt+Barnes+Memphis+Grizzlies+v+Los+Ange

LOS ANGELES -- Matt Barnes is one of six unrestricted free agents on the Los Angeles Clippers roster this off-season, but if he were a betting man, he would wager that Paul would be back with the Clippers, and he hopes the same for himself.

"Chris and I have seen each other a few times after the season and that's something we've discussed," Barnes told the Mason & Ireland Show on ESPNLA 710 on Wednesday. "Not to really get into his business too much, but I think the Clippers are one of his of top teams to say the least and if I was betting guy I would say he would be back with the Clippers next year."

Paul helped recruit Barnes to the Clippers before this season, and Barnes was signed to a one-year contract for the veteran's minimum. Barnes, who had a career season, averaging 10.3 points and 4.6 rebounds, hinted during his exit interview that Paul was again recruiting him to come back to the Clippers. Barnes said he was hoping to do that this summer if were to be given a raise.

"I'm going to sit down and talk to my family and see where the market's at," Barnes said. "I've been one of those guys the last three or four years that's always been a great bargain. I've played for the mid-level and have played well but have yet to see a pay day. Not to say that I'm asking for the world, but I'm definitely looking for a salary increase."

Barnes, who scored 30 points and grabbed 10 rebounds in Game 6 of the Clippers first-round series against the Memphis Grizzlies, said he was open to going elsewhere but his preference would be to stay in Los Angeles.

"I had a great season with the Clippers and my family is very comfortable here in L.A.," Barnes said. "So the Clippers are going to be one of my top choices, but we're looking for a pay increase."

Before signing with the Clippers, Barnes, who played collegiately at UCLA, played two seasons with the Los Angeles Lakers. Barnes said he enjoyed his time with the Lakers but did not have the best relationship with former Lakers coach Mike Brown, which is why he believes he wasn't re-signed by the team last year.

"From what I heard after it ended, Mike Brown didn't want me back," Barnes said. "However true that is but that was from a pretty reliable source that I talked to throughout the year. That was the deciding factor. Mike Brown wanted to go in a different direction and give some of the younger guys a try."

Barnes said he enjoyed his time playing for Clippers coach Vinny Del Negro but wasn't sure if Del Negro would still be the coach after the Clippers' season ended with a first-round exit last week.

"I'm not sure," Barnes said. "After all we accomplished as a team this year to win the division and win the most games in Clippers history, unfortunately the playoffs are when your names are made or broken and to go out in the first round is obviously a disappointment for all of us. Management has a lot of tough decisions this summer."

http://espn.go.com/b...opes-he-can-too

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users