• Please log in to reply
151 replies to this topic

#1 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 06, 2013 - 11:57 PM

Kobe Bryant once again has urged Dwight Howard to play through some pain while claiming that the Los Angeles Lakers center "worries too much" about media and fan criticism.

Howard has missed the past three games because of a torn labrum in his shoulder, aggravating an injury he initially suffered earlier this season.

Despite winning the three games Howard has missed, the Lakers (23-26) are 10th in the Western Conference playoff race. They also will be without star forward Pau Gasol, who could be sidelined four-to-six weeks with a tear in the plantar fascia of his right foot, an MRI revealed Wednesday.

"We don't have time for (Howard's shoulder) to heal," Bryant said Wednesday in an exclusive interview with ESPNBoston.com's Jackie MacMullan. "We need some urgency."

The interview with MacMullan came one day after Bryant publicly challenged Howard, stating that playing through an injury is "something that you have to balance out and manage."

Bryant also asserted that Howard is preoccupied with how he is perceived by fans and media.

"Dwight worries too much about what people think," Bryant told MacMullan. "I told him, 'You can't worry about that. It's holding you back.' He says, 'OK, OK, OK,' but it's always hovering around him.

"He just wants people to like him. He doesn't want to let anyone down, and that gets him away from what he should be doing."

Bryant also speculated that Howard, in his first season with Los Angeles, may not be accustomed to the Lakers' standards.

"(Howard) has never been in a position where someone is driving him as hard as I am, as hard as this organization is," Bryant told MacMullan. "It's win a championship, or everything is a complete failure. That's just how (the Lakers) do it. And that's foreign to him.

Posted Image

"When you think about it, there aren't many organizations that look at it that way. There are only two that can really honestly say that's what they live by -- Los Angeles and Boston."

Howard preached patience in a recent interview with ESPN's Stephen A. Smith, pointing to the fact that Bryant and Shaquille O'Neal needed three years before winning a championship with the Lakers.

But the 34-year-old Bryant, who is averaging 27.6 points per game in his 17th NBA season, is approaching this season with more desperation.

"We don't have three years," Kobe said. "We've got this year."

Howard is listed as day to day, and his status is uncertain for Thursday's game against the Boston Celtics.

The Lakers are hopeful Gasol's injury will prompt Howard to return "sooner than later," a team source told ESPNLosAngeles.com.

http://espn.go.com/l...njury-play-pain

Lots of back and forth going on

- Dwight wont play because he wants to make sure shoulder is 100%
- Kobe says hes played with a torn labrum before and Dwight can play on it
- Dwight says Kobe is a guard but when Dwight is in the paint you got a couple of goons hanging on you and fouling you at every chance. Says it took Shaq 3 years in LA to win a ring
- Kobe says we need more urgency, stop worrying what people think and we dont got 3 years to wait for you to get there LOL

I honestly think Dwight might get scared and run away to Houston or Atlanta in the offseason, hes not handling this well at all. Yes the dude might just leave $30 mil on the table to get peace of mind and take pressure off him. The injuries have limited him but hes not making adjustments either to deal with the injuries...how do you think Kobe and Nash have lasted this long, Dwight?? You gotta change it up. Get stronger fundamentally. Put your hard hats on. All this sacrifice and grinding is needed to win a ring, thats what it takes

Kobe publicly to the media, in the last 3 years has coddled the teammates and had their back even if theyre wrong. He usually speaks his mind and points out the truth when the team has reached point of crisis (Ex: After game 6 in Denver saying glad MWP is back since hes the only one who he can count on). Lets see how Dwight responds.

Edited by MDI, February 07, 2013 - 12:03 AM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#2 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,518 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted February 07, 2013 - 12:20 AM

That's a cleverly worded article.

Like many others I'd rather "hear" Kobe say these things rather than have his quotes and dwights conveniently placed in orders top make people think they are bickering in some way.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#3 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,232 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted February 07, 2013 - 12:28 AM

If dwight leaves he will be branded a wimp. People will know he left cuz kobe scared him and he wasnt willing to do everything to win. If thats really how he feels. He shouldn't be on the lakers. Kobe is right. We and boston are the only organization that is championship or bust. Thats what gives us our advantage. We playing better and all we need to do is get our selfs into the playoffs. Then from there we just need to play our best. Right now I think we will take the 8th seed by the end of the month and by the end of the season we will be at around the 6th seed. Yea it may not be a great seed but who cares.

#4 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,239 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted February 07, 2013 - 12:59 AM

Watch kobes gonna push Dwight into not caring what other people think of him which will then make it easier for Dwight to leave. >:(

#5 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,412 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted February 07, 2013 - 01:13 AM

but bryant is right...

Germanys Craziest & Finest LA Lakers Fan #Manaro90

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

#6 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,142 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 02:37 AM

Man. We need Fisher! He is normally the guy that handles this business with other players, not Kobe. What Kobe says is completely true, we need sense of urgency, but Dwight is also right for not wanting to risk it. He's too frustrated with the injury and whole that circus that happened for a year now. We need some third party to engage those two views. We put ourselves in perfect position to overtake Houston these past couple of games, it'd really kill our spirit (and season) if we waste this chance.

#7 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,733 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted February 07, 2013 - 02:40 AM

I wish Howard had Kobe's winning attitude and approach to the game.

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#8 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,829 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 07, 2013 - 02:45 AM

Dwight is comparing himself to shaq?

I thought he hated that

#9 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,518 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted February 07, 2013 - 02:58 AM

Its funny cause if people wanted to they'd take Dwight saying "If you look at Shaq and Kobe, it took them three years. So I'm patient, we'll get it etc.".

You could take that as Dwight being willing to stay with us through thick and thin because he has faith in our organization and that he cares more about our long term goal of championships rather than a 'quick fix' but that would require positive thinking :P

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#10 Lord Flashheart

Lord Flashheart

I do the walk of life.

• 1,820 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted February 07, 2013 - 04:49 AM

Man. We need Fisher! He is normally the guy that handles this business with other players, not Kobe.

Don't we have Nash for that matter? He is a Fisher type locker room guy.
Impossible is nothing.

#11 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,568 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 07, 2013 - 06:23 AM

If dwight leaves he will be branded a wimp. People will know he left cuz kobe scared him and he wasnt willing to do everything to win. If thats really how he feels. He shouldn't be on the lakers. Kobe is right. We and boston are the only organization that is championship or bust. Thats what gives us our advantage. We playing better and all we need to do is get our selfs into the playoffs. Then from there we just need to play our best. Right now I think we will take the 8th seed by the end of the month and by the end of the season we will be at around the 6th seed. Yea it may not be a great seed but who cares.

You got that right! If Dwight leaves he is going to be picked apart by the media unless he wins a championship right away, which he wont.

#12 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,142 posts

Posted February 07, 2013 - 06:39 AM

Don't we have Nash for that matter? He is a Fisher type locker room guy.

not quite. Nash is too beta.

#13 Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Rookie

• 393 posts
  • Fan Since:@birth

Posted February 07, 2013 - 06:49 AM

not quite. Nash is too beta.

A beta PG as successful as Nash has been? Hmmmmm...

#14 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,092 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted February 07, 2013 - 07:24 AM

I wish Howard had Kobe's winning attitude and approach to the game.

^This. Unfortunately, he doesnt and there is no indication he will ever be close to it.

Debbie Downer

#15 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,228 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted February 07, 2013 - 07:59 AM

I hope he doesn't leave, but as time passes and how Kobe is throwing shots at him he might do it

and on the torn shoulder thing, didn't Lamar had the same injury and he played through it very well

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#16 ColStac

ColStac

Bleed Purple and Gold

• 483 posts
  • Name:Colmon
  • Fan Since:1996

Posted February 07, 2013 - 08:57 AM

I don't know. I can't say whether or not Dwight is able to play through this injury with any certainty, but this i know. There isn't a doubt in my mind that if Kobe had this same injury he'd be on that floor, be he a guard a center, or whatever.
The game changes, the players turnover, but the Mamba remains a constant!

#17 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,287 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 07, 2013 - 09:04 AM

Kobe is right again.

#18 soldier4death

soldier4death

Makaveli Trained GS

• 910 posts
  • Name:Ruben
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Me

Posted February 07, 2013 - 09:07 AM

5>0

#19 24allday

24allday

Rookie

• 1,391 posts
  • Name:Gavin
  • Fan Since:3rd grade - first started watching and loved Kobe
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba, #STAYSWAG

Posted February 07, 2013 - 09:09 AM

Anyone else having doubts about our future with Dwight? I mean if he stays and we build around him I'm skeptical right now.. dude doesn't seem mentally tough enough to get it done. Nothing like Kobe at all.

#20 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,287 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted February 07, 2013 - 09:13 AM

Nope I have no doubts about building around Dwight.

This team, this city, this situation is totally different than what he has been used to.

He will get it.

Kobe is unusual, you can't judge a player's motivation based on Kobe's.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users