TheOriginalCZM

Rookie

• 823 posts
  • Name:J
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Brian Scalabrine

Posted January 31, 2013 - 03:34 PM

Posted Jan 31, 2013 4:46 PM - Updated Jan 31, 2013 6:27 PM

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -- Ricky Rubio is standing up for his fellow Spaniard Pau Gasol, saying he doesn't think it's fair that the Los Angeles Lakers are bringing Gasol off the bench this season.

Posted Image

Rubio was asked about his close friend Gasol on Thursday, one day before his Minnesota Timberwolves were scheduled to host the Lakers. The two talk often during the season and seek each other out during tough stretches.
It's been a difficult season for Gasol, who was coming off a dominant performance for Spain at the London Olympics. He's missed big chunks of time with tendinitis in his knees and a concussion and hasn't seemed to find a role in Mike D'Antoni's offense. D'Antoni has been starting journeyman Earl Clark in Gasol's place, something that Gasol and Rubio don't like.
"He proved to the league he is one of the best," Rubio said. "He can pass. He can shoot. He can rebound. He can do a lot of things. I think if you use him in the right way he is a top player in this league. If they don't want him, we are more than welcome to get him."
Gasol has been the subject of trade rumors for the last few seasons now, much to the chagrin of Kobe Bryant, who has openly campaigned not just to keep one of the league's most gifted post players, but to continue featuring him on offense.
"It's been the last two years that it seems like they don't want him, but actually they need him," Rubio said. "He's a great player. He can do a lot of things and he had some issues with the knees, too. It's been a lot of years without resting for him. But he's a veteran. He knows how to play."
The Timberwolves have often been mentioned as a potential landing spot for Gasol. Wolves coach Rick Adelman has long been intrigued by the possibilities of a Gasol-Kevin Love pairing in the frontcourt, seeing similarities to the Chris Webber-Vlade Divac tandem that he employed to great success with the Sacramento Kings.
But the Wolves have been decimated by injuries this season and are 17-25, a distant 12th in the Western Conference, so making a trade for a highly paid veteran like Gasol seems like a stretch. The 32-year-old Gasol is making $19 million both this season and next, a big salary that makes it difficult to trade him.
"It's hard, when you are hearing things with the rumors that you are going to be traded, to be focused," Rubio said. "Like he says, he's a professional and he's been playing for a long time and he's going to keep doing what he doing."
Gasol is averaging a career-worst 12.8 points per game and is shooting a career-low 44.8 percent during this messy Lakers season. Not normally one to vent publicly, Gasol has complained about his role, most recently when he was benched for the entire fourth quarter of a win over the Hornets.
"Well, you know, `all for one' didn't last (very) long, did it?" D'Antoni quipped to reporters before the loss to Phoenix. "Forty-eight-hour shelf life. That's not bad. We'll take what we can get."
It's been one thing after another for D'Antoni and the Lakers, who were considered one of the favorites for the title after acquiring Dwight Howard in a trade in the offseason. Mike Brown was fired five games into the season, with D'Antoni getting the job over Phil Jackson. Howard hasn't been his usual dominant self for much of the year while recovering from a back injury last season and also has been bothered by a right shoulder injury over the last month.
Howard aggravated his shoulder injury in a loss to Phoenix on Wednesday night. The Lakers announced that he was evaluated on Thursday and is considered day-to-day.
The Lakers have shown signs of life in the last week, with consecutive victories over the Jazz, Thunder and Hornets. But they're still just 20-26 and in 10th place in the West, four games behind Houston for the eighth and final playoff spot.

http://www.nba.com/2013/news/01/31/rubio-defends-gasol.ap/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpts

Edited by Mr.Sources, January 31, 2013 - 03:34 PM.

#2 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,592 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted January 31, 2013 - 03:36 PM

If Rubio wants him as a starter he's welcome to have him, just send K-Love on over ;)

#3 ツ  

ツ  

All-Star

• 5,696 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 31, 2013 - 03:42 PM

Give me D. Will and/or Kirilinko straight up for Pau.

#4 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 38,566 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 31, 2013 - 03:46 PM

Send us D will and kirilinko or pekovic and take duhon and ebanks off our hands and he's all yours.$

Actually pekovic backing up dwight howard isnt a bad idea at all!!

Give us ak and pekovic and take ebanks and gasol and duhon and you got yourself a deal

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#5 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,566 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 03:49 PM

http://espn.go.com/n...tradeId=acn2kcs

Do it Mitch!!!

#6 jax24

jax24

Starter

• 880 posts
  • Name:Jax
  • Fan Since:1979

Posted January 31, 2013 - 03:51 PM

Have him I know you want him. Just tell your owner Kahn to give us some Love lol.

#7 God Shammgod

God Shammgod

"Drink Hennessey straight, with tomato juice"

• 643 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 03:58 PM

Of course he'd agree with his paisa

He can take Pau...NOW

#8 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,421 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted January 31, 2013 - 04:25 PM

hahahaah do it mitch

Germanys Craziest & Finest LA Lakers Fan #Manaro90

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

#9 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 31, 2013 - 04:57 PM

http://espn.go.com/n...tradeId=acn2kcs

Do it Mitch!!!

That would be a solid package. Only one extra year in Williams but he won't make too much.

Only question is if we can get more than that this summer.

#10 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,566 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 05:07 PM

That would be a solid package. Only one extra year in Williams but he won't make too much.

Only question is if we can get more than that this summer.

Pretty much. Solid package gets us a project with Williams and also a legit backup center in pekovic that would be aggressive, also nets us another defensive 3 that can stretch the floor.

So our starting lineup would be

Nash
Kobe
Clark or AK or Metta
Metta or Clark
Dwight

Bench would be

Blake
Meeks
AK or Jamison or Clark
Jamison or Clark or Metta
Pekovic

Looks fine to me! Either way we're solid defensively at the wing and Metta could stay guarding 4s and we could always switch that up depending on matchups.

Also having Pekovic come in if they hurt Dwights shoulder again is NOT a bad trade off especially if Dwight had to sit out a game or two.

Edited by Majesty, January 31, 2013 - 05:10 PM.

#11 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Parasyte

• 8,699 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 05:13 PM

He's all yours Minny.

Just give the Lakers Love/Williams.

If not that, Williams/Kirilenko/Shved

Edited by Hey, January 31, 2013 - 05:14 PM.

MMiRi9s.png

#12 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted January 31, 2013 - 05:18 PM

^
We're not getting Love. Can guarantee that.

#13 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,566 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 05:20 PM

He's all yours Minny.

Just give the Lakers Love/Williams.

If not that, Williams/Kirilenko/Shved

Williams Kirilenko and Pekovic(for backup center) and they got a deal.

#14 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Parasyte

• 8,699 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 05:22 PM

^ Pekovic would be a great back up center.

Forgot all about him, AND he can make his free throws.

Edited by Hey, January 31, 2013 - 05:22 PM.

MMiRi9s.png

#15 Majesty

Majesty

• 38,566 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 05:26 PM

Also consider that if Dwight was hurt during a game Pekovic coming in is very different than Pau coming in.

#16 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,037 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted January 31, 2013 - 05:31 PM

Why don't you take him off our hands then, Rubio?

#17 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,092 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted January 31, 2013 - 07:20 PM

^you guys really dont think much of the Minny GM I guess. Almost any of these trade scenarios are screw jobs for Minny. Rubio can offer all the "support" he wants, he does not speak for the franchise, any more than say Nash speaks for the Lakers.

Debbie Downer

#18 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,113 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted January 31, 2013 - 07:40 PM

Lol

Pau Gasol is GONE

#19 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,854 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 07:54 PM

Rubio is an idiot .. hate these nationality bonds ..

#20 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,821 posts
  • Name:Shamim

Posted January 31, 2013 - 08:08 PM

^you guys really dont think much of the Minny GM I guess. Almost any of these trade scenarios are screw jobs for Minny. Rubio can offer all the "support" he wants, he does not speak for the franchise, any more than say Nash speaks for the Lakers.

Rubio is their future, Nash is our 3 year rental before he enters retirement. If Rubio is serious about wanting to play with Pau, the Wolves will do what they can to acquire him. If it means securing Rubio for the future, then there is no reason why they wouldn't pursue a trade centered around Gasol. They've designated Rubio as their franchise and they made that clear during their negotiations with Kevin Love.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users