107 replies to this topic

#41 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 31, 2013 - 08:48 PM

i think saying Metta is dead weight is pushing it. He's probably better suited as a high minute bench guy playing 25-30 minutes. The only problem is that the Lakers don't have a lot of options on this roster.

Definitely not dead weight.

Just a bad contract.

#42 EJ06

EJ06

Rookie

• 775 posts
  • Fan Since:1995-96
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 31, 2013 - 08:54 PM

i think saying Metta is dead weight is pushing it. He's probably better suited as a high minute bench guy playing 25-30 minutes. The only problem is that the Lakers don't have a lot of options on this roster.

if he actually knew how to play his role, i'd agree.

#43 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted January 31, 2013 - 09:02 PM

Well, Metta was willing to come off the bench this season and he handled not playing as many minutes last season ok.

I think part of the reason that he's shooting poorly is that he's playing too many minutes. He seems to fade later in the game. I think that's supported by his poor FG% in the 4th compared to the rest of the game.

That plus him getting his shots with the bench unit would make him ok to me.

Posted Image

#44 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,812 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted January 31, 2013 - 09:03 PM

He can't shoot consistently, can't defend, can't dribble, and he's definitely not quick up and down the floor. Metta hurts us more than he helps us. He shot us out of the game last night and he didn't do a damn thing on the defensive end despite his billing as a stopper. He's not a starting caliber player in the league anymore, we just play him out of necessity.

And I'm not only referring to him when mentioning dead weight. Half the roster consists of useless players who can't contribute on a nightly basis.

#45 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,354 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe,Magic

Posted January 31, 2013 - 09:20 PM

He can't shoot consistently, can't defend, can't dribble, and he's definitely not quick up and down the floor. Metta hurts us more than he helps us. He shot us out of the game last night and he didn't do a damn thing on the defensive end despite his billing as a stopper. He's not a starting caliber player in the league anymore, we just play him out of necessity.

And I'm not only referring to him when mentioning dead weight. Half the roster consists of useless players who can't contribute on a nightly basis.

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

#46 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 09:46 PM

Dead weight is Ebanks. He does absolutely nothing for this team.

Metta is not dead weight. He may not help us as much anymore as his defensive prowess has lessened, but he's not dead weight. Agree he shouldn't really be starting anymore, but I think it's unfair to call him dead weight. I'd like him on the team if it was for the veteran minimum, but we love our bloated contracts, so...

Edited by hotpocket, January 31, 2013 - 09:46 PM.

#47 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 37,377 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 31, 2013 - 09:58 PM

Well, Metta was willing to come off the bench this season and he handled not playing as many minutes last season ok.

I think part of the reason that he's shooting poorly is that he's playing too many minutes. He seems to fade later in the game. I think that's supported by his poor FG% in the 4th compared to the rest of the game.

That plus him getting his shots with the bench unit would make him ok to me.

Yes often metta starts 3 for 4 from 3 and then falters a little after halftime. Especially on back to backs.

But the thing is he doesn't care if he plays 48 minutes and wouldn't asked to be taken out. Kobe and him have tthe same dna in that aspect. But the main problem is, that we have to look at the others around his position.

Gasol plays the 4 or the 5. When Gasol was a 4 metta subbed for him and often finished games instead of him(till Pau cried) and then if Jamison's shot wasn't falling, Metta played for him. So having Clark has taken SOME stress off him but with Gasol's constant nagging D'antoni rushes to put Pau in so he stops complaining. So then Metta has to stay longer till Clark comes in to pair with Jamison. And if Jamisons shot stops falling his defense is non existant so Metta is put in again.

For Ketta to get "rest" it depends on the performances of 3 other players that take up space at the 3 and or 4.

So given the inconsistencies of both Gasol. Jamison and sometimes Clark, Metta doesn't get much rest. And he's depended on because he's more consistent than all 3. Though Clark seems on his way in a good way.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#48 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted January 31, 2013 - 09:59 PM

His season numbers are still alright. 41% FG and 35% from 3. Going by the quarter splits from NBA.com, he's ok through quarters 1 and 3. He's just awful in the 4th where he's shooting 33%. If he played less, I think he could be more efficient.

I define dead weight as contributing nothing at all. I don't think he's that.

Posted Image

#49 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,488 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 10:06 PM

His season numbers are still alright. 41% FG and 35% from 3. Going by the quarter splits from NBA.com, he's ok through quarters 1 and 3. He's just awful in the 4th where he's shooting 33%. If he played less, I think he could be more efficient.

I define dead weight as contributing nothing at all. I don't think he's that.

I agree. I just think he needs to be contained. Open 3s with his feet set and playing defense is what he should focus on. He shouldn't be allowed to dribble the ball and under no circumstances should he shoot off the dribble.

#50 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 10:10 PM

I agree. I just think he needs to be contained. Open 3s with his feet set and playing defense is what he should focus on. He shouldn't be allowed to dribble the ball and under no circumstances should he shoot off the dribble.

Agreed, except I think if he has a smaller man matched on him he should be given the green light to post up on him given his strength.

#51 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,363 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted February 01, 2013 - 03:04 AM

If we replace metta we gotta get someone like Iggy or Gallo..love those type of players

Man the Nuggets are deep on the 3 position!!

Germanys Craziest & Finest LA Lakers Fan #Manaro90

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

#52 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,377 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 03:37 AM

Clark is like mini Iggy for us. Not as good defensively and game isn't as crisp but he's as close as we'll get without having the guy himself ;)

#53 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,363 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted February 01, 2013 - 03:48 AM

still iggy is much better hhahahah

Germanys Craziest & Finest LA Lakers Fan #Manaro90

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

#54 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,377 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 03:59 AM

Never get Iggy :P. Clark is best suited if you want an athletic 3 that can play the 4 guard 2 3 and 4, stretch the floor while also being a willing passer and can run the fast break.

Which is what Iggy and Clark both do and are, Iggy is a bit more polished and a lot better at it but Clark as our mini iggy-riza is fine with me lol

#55 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,812 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted February 01, 2013 - 05:01 AM

If we replace metta we gotta get someone like Iggy or Gallo..love those type of players

Man the Nuggets are deep on the 3 position!!

So what does Mitch use as a trade asset to land a player of that caliber and how does that higher caliber guy get paid given the Lakers payroll situation?

Put another way, I could say "I want to get a new car and I think I want a Mercedes" but I cant afford down nor the monthly payment nor the gas nor the maintenance because I pissed away all my $ in Vegas already and ran up a bunch of credit card debt. Wishful thinking, thats all.

#56 Yaboy

Yaboy

Sixth Man

• 3,893 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 05:18 AM

Definitely not dead weight.

Just a bad contract.

Imagine if Lakers would've gave him a bigger contract.

de__anthony_thomas_by_eksde-d5e4v29.png

"Love me or hate me it's one or the other. Always has been. Hate my game, hate my swagger, hate my fade-away, my hunger, hate that i'm a veteran, A champion, hate that. Hate it with all your heart, and hate that i'm loved for the exact same reasons." - Kobe

#57 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted February 01, 2013 - 07:28 AM

Metta is not the defender he was

#58 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,812 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted February 01, 2013 - 08:02 AM

^Elegantly understated.

#59 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,147 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 08:57 AM

Ron artest isn't useless in that he can still score pretty well and pretty diversely every now and then.

But he's definitely far better suited for a bench role. Ideally you have an athletic wing who can shoot, Clark at the 4 and artest rotating with Clark.

That's the ideal scenario. Now if minnesota would get desperate and trade us kirilenko for pau then we'd have an awesome starting 5.

Dwight
Clark
Kirilenko
Kobe
Nash

That's some length and defense. Though id take any athletic SF at this point. Let Ron and Jamison come off the bench, let them save energy. I bet Ron could play better defense if he only played 25 min a night.

That's what needs to happen. Pau for an athletic wing who can shoot and a back up big.
Posted Image

#60 Majesty

Majesty

• 37,377 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 12:59 PM

Yep this is why the Pek, Kirilenko, Williams for Pau trade makes sense for us.

Because we have a starting 3 we'd need if we want to shift Metta around at the 4 off the bench as well as having a true backup center.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users