Photo

Chris Bosh: "I'm a hall of famer."

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,736 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted January 29, 2013 - 10:47 AM

Posted Image

By Kelly Dwyer | Ball Don't Lie – Mon, Jan 28, 2013 9:00 AM EST

Since his jump to Miami in 2010, eight-time All-Star forward/center Chris Bosh has turned into a bit of a punch line. His smart batch of humor, slender build of frame, and status as a distant third among the Heat’s Big Three triptych including LeBron James and Dwyane Wade allow for that. Bosh, working on a championship defender and out of the city of his choice, doesn’t seem to mind. It’s a refreshing nuance, stuck in the middle of a league that at times seems to be full of insecure types that hedge their quotes.

This is probably why Bosh didn’t hesitate for a second to call himself “a Hall of Famer” in a discussion with FOX Sports’ Chris Tomasson on Friday night. Chris’ borderline-stunning take can be found here:

"Hell, yeah, of course. I've been a Hall of Famer like four years ago," the Miami Heat center told FOX Sports Florida after Friday's 110-88 victory over Detroit. "And I say that very serious, though. I've talked about it before with my friends."

This is “borderline stunning” because modern athletes are conditioned not to speak like this. To not speak out about legacy, no matter how sober the take. There’s a reason that the line “excuse me while I take my first step toward the Hall of Fame” was penned for Willie Mays Hayes in ‘Major League’ as a joke. As hubris to be mocked.

Is Bosh to be mocked? The guy knows his media, he’s aware that saying something like this to Tomasson will surely get around once pen leads to paper, which leads to modem and social media, and he’s obviously aware that some people still view him as a poorly-rebounding hanger-on with the Heat’s top tier.

He’s not wrong, though.

He may feel like a newcomer of sorts, but Chris Bosh was drafted into the NBA nearly 10 years ago. He’s in his 10th season, and he’s played fantastic basketball throughout his career. Whether he was working by his lonesome in Toronto or hungering for scraps in Miami, Bosh has remained a potent offensive performer that can rebound and help defensively with his length. At just 28 years of age, he’s already amassed nearly 13,500 career points.

Of course, we have no idea what that number means. Basketball just doesn’t have the sort of end-all numerical touchstones that baseball does. There’s no “500 homers” or “3,000 hits” or “wasn’t listed in the Mitchell Report” that allows us to sign off on a potential Hall of Famer midway through his career. Toss in the NCAA and international influence (to say nothing of shoe company heavy-handedness) on the Basketball Hall of Fame’s voting process, and it’s really hard to get a grasp on who will get in some years down the line, and who won’t.

Bosh turns 29 in a couple of months, though. His touch and smarts will allow for him, health-willing, to remain an All-Star level contributor for perhaps another half-decade. All-Star appearances shouldn’t be a barometer of greatness, both fans and coaches can get these things wrong, but Bosh’s efficient work and ability to either pick up the pieces on a great team or hold his own on a terrible team should be in place well into his 30s.

Bosh's career averages round out to nearly 20 points per game and nine rebounds, while shooting 49 percent. His per-game averages have dipped for three consecutive years, but that’s sort of par for the course when you line up with two of the biggest ball dominators in the game in LeBron James and Dwyane Wade. Bosh’s minutes have dipped since he’s hit Miami as well, the coaching staff’s nod to the fact that they need their big man to be fresh in June and not dragging it out in January. All of these hallmarks hurt the raw numbers, but they don’t blur the overall picture. If Chris Bosh continues apace for the next five or six years, he’ll be a deserved Hall of Famer.

And to preemptively take on the critics … what’s wrong with a player admitting as much?

We want these players to exude confidence, to bathe in bravado and pretend like nothing can get to them. Up until a point – a nebulous point – where we hold our nose and complain about confidence or cockiness gone wrong. We want these guys to not only play like Hall of Famers, but act like one as well. But heaven forbid these guys actually say what we’re already talking about online or on a barstool – that Chris Bosh will probably end up in the Hall of Fame some day, and that this reality was already in place “like four years ago.”

Keep talking, Chris Bosh, because we dig your honesty. And keep playing Hall of Fame-basketball, because we’re more than happy with your career arc. Someday Springfield will be as happy as we are, we’re guessing.

http://sports.yahoo....Y3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

Edited by LALakersFan4Life, January 29, 2013 - 10:55 AM.

#2 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is A Wanker!

• 7,211 posts
  • Name:Prince George
  • Fan Since:2014
  • Fav. Laker:Prince & The Revolution

Posted January 29, 2013 - 10:55 AM

Posted Image

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#3 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,376 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 29, 2013 - 11:12 AM

No you're not ..

Check me out on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/str8ridah

Soul Smooth

#4 24allday

24allday

Rookie

• 1,394 posts
  • Name:Gavin
  • Fan Since:3rd grade - first started watching and loved Kobe
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba, #STAYSWAG

Posted January 29, 2013 - 11:13 AM

No Chris..

#5 JEN

JEN

Legend

• 27,102 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 11:19 AM

Posted Image

#6 Lakerace24

Lakerace24

Sixth Man

• 3,500 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 29, 2013 - 11:27 AM

"I've been a hall of famer like four years ago"

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH

#7 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 11:29 AM

Posted Image

#8 Makaveli

Makaveli

where will i go?

• 13,323 posts
  • Fan Since:'06
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe 'Bean' Bryant.

Posted January 29, 2013 - 12:15 PM

this is the first thing that comes to my mind when i see a Chris Bosh thread
Posted Image

#9 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,597 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted January 29, 2013 - 12:38 PM

Posted Image

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#10 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted January 29, 2013 - 01:04 PM

Dont think raptors or heat will retire his # what makes hIM think hes a HOF
Posted Image

#11 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,966 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted January 29, 2013 - 01:14 PM

lol The only reason you even have a ring is cuz you are on the heat. The fact you were even mentions in the top 3 guys is ridiculous. Unless you were one of the main options for a team for years and that team went deap in the playoffs many times you shouldn't even be mentions as a HOF.

#12 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 03:13 PM

Yes hes a hall of famer. Im serious

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#13 Nego

Nego

El Duro

• 1,143 posts
  • Fan Since:Lakers traded for Kobe

Posted January 29, 2013 - 03:14 PM

He's not but I wouldn't be surprised to see him making it into the HOF. The selection process sucks.

Posted Image

#14 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,951 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 03:17 PM

Hes only 28 yrs old, already has 1 Gold Medal, 1 NBA title, 8 All star selections. Averages 20pts/9 rebs over 1 block in his career. Hes probably the best jump shooting power forward after Dirk. Chris is good. He is finesse like Pau but just like Pau his resume speaks for itself.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#15 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 29, 2013 - 05:06 PM

He's not yet, but if he continues on the route he's on he can be a second or third ballot kind of Hall Of Famer.

Right now though, no.

#16 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,963 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 29, 2013 - 08:54 PM

Yyyyyaaaaannooooooooo!
#WaiveWes

ezk2ds.jpg