#21 jax24

jax24

Starter

• 878 posts
  • Name:Jax
  • Fan Since:1979
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 29, 2013 - 04:16 AM

I think Nash's role on THIS team should be primarily as a shooter. He is the best shooter on the team. Kobe as the facilitator allows Nash to not only move around off the ball, but to get open looks. Nash maybe one of the best passers ever but on this team we have Kobe and Pau who can also facilitate. This means Nash can concentrate on his other greatest strength, his shooting. That doesn't mean Nash can't facilitate also which is an added bonus and makes Nash our own Steve Kerr with benefits. I'm glad Nash can see that this role is the best for him with this Laker team.

#22 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,628 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 29, 2013 - 04:24 AM

I am glad too. Nash seems really HAPP about it. If you saw the interview wityh him I posted he sounded beyond joyful at the prospect of being used as a scoring point guard.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#23 J-H!zZl3

J-H!zZl3

New season, same goal.

• 13,773 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Worthy, Kareem, Kobe

Posted January 29, 2013 - 12:44 PM

I think Nash's role on THIS team should be primarily as a shooter. He is the best shooter on the team. Kobe as the facilitator allows Nash to not only move around off the ball, but to get open looks. Nash maybe one of the best passers ever but on this team we have Kobe and Pau who can also facilitate. This means Nash can concentrate on his other greatest strength, his shooting. That doesn't mean Nash can't facilitate also which is an added bonus and makes Nash our own Steve Kerr with benefits. I'm glad Nash can see that this role is the best for him with this Laker team.

I agree. Nash is one of the best pure shooters in the league who also has the ability to do many other things. But at this stage of his career and with this team, he is best used as a floor spreader who can also create for himself and others (with P&R's, ocassional ISO's, etc.) Playing off of Kobe is the best option, because even at this stage in his career, he is still guarded differently than any other superstar in the league and he commands attention that no other player on this team does.

Teams will certainly adjust but as long as other players continue to cut to the basket and move off the ball with Kobe being the facilitator, good things will happen. But other players have to knock down their open shots, which is what they have been doing these past two games.

Posted Image

#24 integrate0

integrate0

Rookie

• 73 posts
  • Name:j
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:magic

Posted January 31, 2013 - 12:33 AM

Kobe can keep up this type of play. It saves energy and makes teams payy for double teaming him so he can go to work late when defenses are hesitant to switch to him.

Teams are afraid when Kobe decides to use his whole game

It's nice to see. Kobe saving his energy while everyone else scores is always nice to see and in all honesty Kobe said it best.

"If they double team me they leave Nash, Nash is the ultimate "never leave" guy and if they decide to constantly leave him wide open to worry about me..bless them.."

So much for Kobe keeping up this play.

#25 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,865 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 31, 2013 - 12:37 AM

So much for Kobe keeping up this play.

...he did, until our shooters started missing every shot they launched, and Dwight injured his shoulder.

Bryant only had maybe 2-3 shots out of the offense in that stretch, also.

#26 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,628 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 12:49 AM

...he did, until our shooters started missing every shot they launched, and Dwight injured his shoulder.

People like to ignore that kind of stuff when they want to make a 'point'.

#27 integrate0

integrate0

Rookie

• 73 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 12:52 AM

7-17, 6 turnovers, and no defense from Kobe. I really don't think he's saving much energy because he still has to create off the dribble which takes a lot of energy. Anyone who plays basketball knows this. Once teams adjust to him - which Phoenix did tonight - he won't be nearly as effective. He'll go back to old "20+ shot a game" Kobe.

#28 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,628 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 01:12 AM

We were winning and probably would have held on to win. I doubt dwight getting injured is 'teams adjusting'. And you keep waiting for Kobe to go back to his old ways. The only way it happens is if one of our main weapons goes ouit of the game early or that no one is hitting a shot, or both. Kobe still had 9 assists tonight despite guys being off and wasn't looking to score till Dwight was injured.

Sounds like you want Kobe to go"back" cause ui want to be right whether we win or lose. Subtle.

#29 integrate0

integrate0

Rookie

• 73 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 01:14 AM

People like to ignore that kind of stuff when they want to make a 'point'.

Watch the 4th quarter of the Phoenix game and see how the Suns adjusted to Kobe. He had 1 assist attempt. Kobe couldn't get one assist in the 4th.

#30 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,865 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 01:14 AM

7-17, 6 turnovers, and no defense from Kobe. I really don't think he's saving much energy because he still has to create off the dribble which takes a lot of energy. Anyone who plays basketball knows this. Once teams adjust to him - which Phoenix did tonight - he won't be nearly as effective. He'll go back to old "20+ shot a game" Kobe.

Kobe was 1-4 FG, 4 points in the last 2:18 of the game.

That means he was 6-13, with 9 assists, the rest of the way.

Phoenix didn't adjust to Kobe. They scored 19 points in the last five minutes of the game, no Dwight. We lost because we didn't have a defensive anchor.

#31 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,865 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 01:16 AM

Watch the 4th quarter of the Phoenix game and see how the Suns adjusted to Kobe. He had 1 assist attempt. Kobe couldn't get one assist in the 4th.

That doesn't mean they adjusted. Kobe kicked the ball out multiple times, and shots were missed. If you watched the game, you'd know this.

#32 integrate0

integrate0

Rookie

• 73 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 01:27 AM

We were winning and probably would have held on to win. I doubt dwight getting injured is 'teams adjusting'. And you keep waiting for Kobe to go back to his old ways. The only way it happens is if one of our main weapons goes ouit of the game early or that no one is hitting a shot, or both. Kobe still had 9 assists tonight despite guys being off and wasn't looking to score till Dwight was injured.

Sounds like you want Kobe to go"back" cause ui want to be right whether we win or lose. Subtle.

No. My point is that once teams learn how to play the Lakers (with Kobe "facilitating"), the Lakers won't be that much better than before, if at all. I don't want Kobe to go back to before at all. I want a completely new offense that can utilize two seven footers. In the 4th quarter of the Phoenix game, Kobe and Steve had 0 and 1 assist, respectively.

Look at the 4th quarter game against the Hornets. Kobe only had 1 assist and the Lakers shot 42%. Steve had 0 assists in the 4th. That's unacceptable by your guards.

#33 integrate0

integrate0

Rookie

• 73 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 01:27 AM

That doesn't mean they adjusted. Kobe kicked the ball out multiple times, and shots were missed. If you watched the game, you'd know this.

In the 4th, he never kicked it out. I just watched...and watched them score a huge 13 points.

Edited by integrate0, January 31, 2013 - 01:30 AM.

#34 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,865 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 01:58 AM

Teams aren't going to be able to adjust to Kobe because he does more than pass the ball. He's a scoring threat from outside, slashing to the rim, and from mid-range...and now, he's a threat to pass to open teammates from 40 feet away.

Correction: teams can't adjust to Kobe as long as his teammates play their roles.

Him, and Nash (once Nash establishes himself as a shooting threat, which he can be), are the guys the ball will go through because, simply put, Gasol is not aggressive enough to matter AND we don't have the spacing to dump the ball into an injured Dwight every time down the court.

You may want a double-post motion offense, but it's not going to work if we don't have the right pieces. At first, I initially thought Gasol could do it, and we'd execute it half of the time...but as of late, he's being a drama queen...and now, with Dwight Howard playing injured every game AND our shooters missing shots like they do, we're not going to be able to install a double-post.

As far as what Kobe did in the fourth...we went an entire six minutes to start it without him truly involved in the offense. Dwight was injured around the seven-minute mark. Kobe's first shot attempt (a three that he made) came at around 6:08 (assisted by Steve Nash). The second soon followed, and then he didn't attempt another for two minutes.

Because we were down, and because we didn't have Dwight, we put the ball in Nash's hands, and Kobe became the go-to guy to score baskets, to TRY and stay on their hip since our defense was going to be pathetic.

Unfortunately, we don't have any other option because Ron Artest shot 1-50 from downtown, Clark was passive, Gasol doesn't want to get too close to the rim, and Nash isn't a scorer.

If you wanted to know what should have happened...Kobe should have had the ball in his hands each time down the court, Nash moving off the ball and off of Gasol's screens, catching and shooting mid-range and threes...and if the Suns had an answer for that, Gasol would be headed to the rim off of that screen anyway...and if Kobe couldn't find him OR Nash, it has to be one-on-one ISO due to mismatches down low (assuming Gasol moves).

Does that happen? Hell no. Without Dwight drawing attention, Gasol can't get open 16 feet away, Nash can't get free, and Kobe's only options are Artest and Clark.

#35 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,628 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 02:08 AM

Gasol setting an off ball screen for nash then rolling to the rim? Oh I wish that gasol still existed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users