Photo

Nash on playing off-ball: "It's better this way."

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,054 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 28, 2013 - 01:48 AM

Nash openly candid about his desire to continue for the Lakers to play this way.

On scrapping D'antoni's system and running a new offenses.

"It's not a new offense. It's basic basketball."

This is true, and something that was long overdue with us for a while.

Steve Nash on preferences for Kobe being main ball handler and facilitator.

"I've always believed that Klobe had the potential to do that. When he plays that way he reminds me of Magic Johnson the way he can command the court and set everyone up. I've been impressed."

On why the offense is better this way as opposed to D'antoni trying to make him primary ball handler over Kobe and why him playing off ball now is necessary.

"I think that's what we need. When you look at the scores, everyone is in double figures. We're shooting a decent percentage, and we're keeping the defense honest. It's much better that way. It gets the bigs engaged. Also, it allows Kobe not to have to go against five guys if he's looking to spread it around. I think most importantly, our defense is better."

To Nash apparently this helps in all aspects but also helps team morale as well as defense.

"I think everyone feels a part of the team. The ball is moving, and guys are getting opportunities. I think guys feel enthusiastic about what's happening out there," he said.

Nash is more than willing to sacrifice being main ball handler and facilitator because he knows how much better it is for the team.

It was also said that teams fear Bryant more when he is asked to play a full court game of his skills as opposed to being a pure scorer, because of this teams will try to force him back into a scoring role as a hope of throwing off the Lakers new offensive identity.

When asked about how they plan to counter this type of strategy, this time Pau Gasol answered.

"We'll be ready for it.".

And closed off his thought with one key message on this new Nash off ball Kobe main facilitative style is gonna be the Lakers route going forward.

"I think it's one of the main things, if not the main thing," he said of what has keyed their success in the last two games. "When he distributes the ball like that, guys are ready to catch it. He sets everybody up, and sets up such a good energy on offense it carries over to the defensive end. It's worked great."

Seems like we're all finally on the same page! Hopefully now some people can stop saying that it was Kobe's fault for not running D'antoni's system and now they win because he is, Nash just basically said they AREN'T running D'antoni's system(the way he initially intended), and he prefers it that way.

Straight from Nash himself. Hope that puts it to bed.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#2 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,047 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 28, 2013 - 01:56 AM

So we decided not to run the offense through the 39 year old PG and good things happened? :hmm:

#3 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,054 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 02:01 AM

So we decided not to run the offense through the 39 year old PG and good things happened? :hmm:

Nash felt that way since the beginning of the season too :) but no one wanted to listen to him lol

How many times did we hear "omg! Just run pick n roll with Nash every time down!! Its so freaking easy!! How u gonna have the best pick n roll point guard and not use him!?!"

Midway through the season and look who's right :). Nash!

Edited by Majesty, January 28, 2013 - 02:02 AM.

#4 integrate0

integrate0

Rookie

• 73 posts
  • Name:j
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:magic

Posted January 28, 2013 - 02:27 AM

So the point of hiring D'antoni was....?

MDA and Jim Buss look like bigger fools everyday.

#5 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,054 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 02:35 AM

D'antoni

"This is much easier than the OTHER way. (Laughs) much MUCH easier! So I hope Kobe is having fun!"

D'antoni on Kobe beiing main facilitator over Nash

"You can't expect Nash at 39 to make EVERYBODY better running it all through him. Kobe on the other hand can do that and Nash and Kobe TOGETHER can do that!"

That sounds familiar...

Also D'antoni isn't going to break this way of playing and try to force "the other way' again and is sticking with this system that has won the last 2 games.

"The guys gotta know, we all gotta know, that this is the way we HAVE to play this point forward. Even if we'd have lost today or take any losses down the road, we MUST continue to play this way, if we do, then we'll be fine."

Seems that D'antoni has swallowed his pride finally and is changing. As did everyone really. But it's nice to see players and coach on the same page.

Here's the presser :)

Typing out all this on a cell phone is hectic! But it's worth it to give ya'll some content :)

#6 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,054 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 02:53 AM

Also, notice now EXCITED Nash is at the prospect of being used as a "scorer" for the first time in his career.

The enthusiasm when he says "I've never been in a position in my career where I got the ball in a catch and shoot situation or got it for an iso to take someone to the basket."

Nash is talking like a freaking kid in the candy store and I love it!! Hope you guys do too :)

#7 Saber

Saber

O.G.

• 13,376 posts
  • Name:Ivan
  • Fan Since:year 2000

Posted January 28, 2013 - 02:59 AM

Kobe will pretty much have to do everything now and the other guys will have to knock their shots. And if Kobe continues to play as a facilitator his scoring will go down which means guys like Nash and Gasol will have to step up on offense (I can add Dwight too).

Check me out on Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/str8ridah

Soul Smooth

#8 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,054 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 03:16 AM

It will be nice that the point guard that Kobe will get the wide open shots and iso moments is one of the greatest shooting pgs in nba history then. :)

#9 Bjork

Bjork

Sugg

• 1,329 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:bean

Posted January 28, 2013 - 03:18 AM

It will be nice that the point guard that Kobe will get the wide open shots and iso moments is one of the greatest shooting pgs in nba history then. :)

Man, you need to sleep. its already 6am bruh #justsayin

#10 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,054 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 03:20 AM

3 am here and been typing all this out on my cell phone. I'd love to sleep but I'm writing script for my anime series. May as well give some Lakers updates along the way ;)

#11 Batz

Batz

God dammit...

• 7,771 posts
  • Name:Ahmed
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted January 28, 2013 - 03:48 AM

Brand recognition.

Posted Image

#12 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,737 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted January 28, 2013 - 04:38 AM

Mike Brown wanted to use Nash as a spot-up shooter. He is one of the greatest shooters of the history of the game, so it is wonderful to have him ready to knock down the 3 ball.

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#13 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,597 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted January 28, 2013 - 05:33 AM

MDA got back to basics and implemented a game plan that played to our strengths. Imo he cleared his name of being "a fool".
A fool would be a coach that does nothing to fix whats obviously broken.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#14 Listen2TheBeatt

Listen2TheBeatt

6th Man

• 692 posts
  • Name:Colin
  • Fan Since:1991
  • Fav. Laker:Ariza

Posted January 28, 2013 - 06:53 AM

Its just like with Bickerstaff. No stupid offensive system that doesn't fit the players. We are overloaded with talent, let the players play and good things will happen.
Videographer for LakerNation.com & STNTV
Follow me on Twitter @Listen2TheBeatt

#15 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,349 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted January 28, 2013 - 07:46 AM

Why couldn't we do this with Phil?

:smh:

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#16 JGuez

JGuez

Sixth Man

• 3,103 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 09:20 AM

MDA got back to basics and implemented a game plan that played to our strengths. Imo he cleared his name of being "a fool".

No no. Let's keep bashing the dude we hired for his system, get mad at him for implementing said system and then [expletive] when he changes his own ways so we can win. :thumbup:

#17 steven v

steven v

Off The Bench

• 1,880 posts
  • Name:steven
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:The L.A. LAKERS

Posted January 28, 2013 - 11:45 AM

Nash is a great player. Probably a better guy off the court.

But he has lost a step and teams are finding it easier to trap and force turnovers on him.

switching kobe over to the PG is nice to see.
The Lakers FO knows more than you. Sorry.

#18 Thanatos

Thanatos

Rookie

• 1,249 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted January 28, 2013 - 12:35 PM

I've been wanting to see Kobe play like this for years. Just move the ball instead of isoing all the time. It's much more efficient and it gets him easier baskets in the long run too, since teams will be forced to play him with single coverage more.
Posted Image

#19 integrate0

integrate0

Rookie

• 73 posts
  • Name:j
  • Fav. Laker:magic

Posted January 28, 2013 - 05:01 PM

D'antoni's a total fool and an overrated coach. It took him this long to figure out how to use 4 hall of famers and I bet he still doesn't exactly know what he's doing. A lot of this is Kobe playing like the Kobe of the 2005-2006 play off team, where he went bananas against the powerhouse Suns. We all remember how bad that Laker team was. Kwame Brown was averaging 14 pts/game because of Kobe.

D'antoni had to tweak his system because he had no other option and nobody believed in his "system." He clearly stated that he didn't want Pau in the post and also that Nash would fix everything (which was absurd to think so). A big reason Pau is coming off the bench is because he wasn't playing well under D'antoni's offense, so the only way D'antoni knew how to get him in the post was to back up Dwight for a handful of minutes, because you can't have two guys in the post with a pick'n'roll offense. Only now has D'antoni figured out how to use Pau and Dwight in the high-low post game, primarily because he was too stubborn before. In the last game, Pau and Dwight weren't even on the floor that often together, until the final 4-5 minutes of the game.

I really hope Kobe and Steve share the ball equally because Kobe can't keep up this type of play, trying to get triple-doubles every game.

Edited by integrate0, January 28, 2013 - 05:01 PM.

#20 Majesty

Majesty

• 41,054 posts

Posted January 29, 2013 - 04:10 AM

Kobe can keep up this type of play. It saves energy and makes teams payy for double teaming him so he can go to work late when defenses are hesitant to switch to him.

Teams are afraid when Kobe decides to use his whole game

It's nice to see. Kobe saving his energy while everyone else scores is always nice to see and in all honesty Kobe said it best.

"If they double team me they leave Nash, Nash is the ultimate "never leave" guy and if they decide to constantly leave him wide open to worry about me..bless them.."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users