#1 wydellmd

wydellmd

Rookie

• 443 posts
  • Name:dell d
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 27, 2013 - 10:58 PM

The biggest problem that Howard has with his mechanics is that he does not lock out his elbow when he shoots, If you watch Dwight shoot free throws, you will notice that his elbow is not locked out....By not locking out his elbow, he does not get the proper arch, rotation, and conistency with his shot...If D12 would lock his elbow out in his shot, it would solve one of the major mechanical problems in his shot....Using his legs while shooting could also help his shot......The perfect example of the perfect shot is Steve Nash.....Their is a reason why he is such an effecient shooter, his mechanics are near perfect....Knees bent, elbow in, shoots with arch, follow through, locks out his elbow, and uses his legs in his shot......I used to not have the greatest mechanics, but by studying guys like Steve Nash, I have increased the effeciency of my shooting, and also know the mecnanical reasons as to why my shots are more consistent......I just wish Dwight would actually take the time and study Nash, learn from him, and fix his mechanics.....Dwight making free throws would make it a lot easier to execute the new slower, half court style of ball we have been running the last few games......

#2 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,242 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted January 27, 2013 - 11:05 PM

Posted Image

#3 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 11:07 PM

He could probably improve if he tried hard enough. It is what it is though. It's not going to get better this season. It might not ever.

I'm sure the torn labrum doesn't help either.

#4 ツ  

ツ  

All-Star

• 5,697 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 27, 2013 - 11:13 PM

there's nothing wrong with his shooting form if he makes it. in practice he makes it consistently. i think it's more of a mental thing.

#5 wydellmd

wydellmd

Rookie

• 443 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 11:17 PM

there's nothing wrong with his shooting form if he makes it. in practice he makes it consistently. i think it's more of a mental thing.

Well, is he making it.......Answer. No.....Then there is something wrong.....It is not about trying harder...It is also not a mental thing....Conistent mechanics, like locking out your elbow on your shot, will lead to more conistent results...

#6 wydellmd

wydellmd

Rookie

• 443 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 11:27 PM

He could probably improve if he tried hard enough. It is what it is though. It's not going to get better this season. It might not ever.

I'm sure the torn labrum doesn't help either.

It is not about trying harder, its about being smarter....He can improve, but he needs to change what he is doing wrong....Trust me, I have been around basketball a long time, and have meticously studied the mechanics that are used by the most consistent shooters in the game.....And the one thing that they all have in common is that they lock out their elbow....By locking out their elbow, shooters like Nash, Nowitzki, are able to hone in in the muscle memory needed to be consistent shooters.....When you do not lock out your elbow, a shooter, like Dwight can't develop any consistency, because it is nearly impossible to replicate the same amount of elbow bend in every shot to develop consistent muscle memory....You also don't get proper back spin, wrist snap, and arch to become a conistent shooter....

#7 wydellmd

wydellmd

Rookie

• 443 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 11:33 PM

Posted Image

Yes....but it is also scientific fact.....Physics can be proven, and shooting a basketball is physics....I can prove my theory, and demonstrate through science that the mechanics that I just talked about will lead to a more conistency when shooting a basketball....

#8 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 11:40 PM

It is not about trying harder, its about being smarter....He can improve, but he needs to change what he is doing wrong....Trust me, I have been around basketball a long time, and have meticously studied the mechanics that are used by the most consistent shooters in the game.....And the one thing that they all have in common is that they lock out their elbow....By locking out their elbow, shooters like Nash, Nowitzki, are able to hone in in the muscle memory needed to be consistent shooters.....When you do not lock out your elbow, a shooter, like Dwight can't develop any consistency, because it is nearly impossible to replicate the same amount of elbow bend in every shot to develop consistent muscle memory....You also don't get proper back spin, wrist snap, and arch to become a conistent shooter....

Changing your shooting motion after you've ingrained it into your brain as muscle memory over many years takes quite a bit of effort and commitment.

#9 wydellmd

wydellmd

Rookie

• 443 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 11:46 PM

Shaq had horrible mechanics as well.....Shot flat footed, no arch, Shaq looked like he was playing darts instead of shooting......Mechanics play an enormous role in ones ability to shoot a high percentage.....And it is something that can be fixed, but you have to actually understand the mechanics and the results that proper mechanics produce....The best shooters are students of the game, like Steve Nash...

#10 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,242 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted January 27, 2013 - 11:48 PM

Ill tell you right now. If dwight has to do math to make Ft's his FT% will drop even more.

#11 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 11:55 PM

Ill tell you right now. If dwight has to do math to make Ft's his FT% will drop even more.

ha probably.

He just needs to get together with Nash in the offseason (providing he's still on our team and not recovering from another surgery) and really work on his mechanics. It's not going to change this season though.

#12 wydellmd

wydellmd

Rookie

• 443 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 11:58 PM

Changing your shooting motion after you've ingrained it into your brain as muscle memory over many years takes quite a bit of effort and commitment.

Yes it does...I have done it....I used to have poor mechanics, And didn't really understand the proper mechanics of shooting a basketball....However, with study and practice, I was able to change and tweak my mechanics, and I now understand the proper mechanics that produce consistent shooting, and could teach them to anyone willing to learn.....I was also in my mid twenties when I did this, so I know it is possible...Of course, unlike Dwight, I did not play basketball for a living...Dwight has all the time in the world to perfect his shot, and change his mechanics....He can do it, and has the time to do it....He just needs the right coach and the right attitude....He could do what I did.....study Steve Nash, and figure out the mechanics he uses to become one of the most conistent shooters of all time.....And don't say...well Steve Nash is a gaurd, Howard is a post......It doesn't matter....Proper shooting mechanics are the same for everyone...Just look at Dirk...He is 7ft tall, but still has great mechanics....It can be done.....

#13 wydellmd

wydellmd

Rookie

• 443 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 12:03 AM

It is really not that difficult.....If I had two days with Dwight, and if he was willing,,,,I could show him what he was doing wrong and how to fix it....Then it is a matter of practicing the new form......It would then take another few days of solid shooting to break the old habit, and get the new habit integrated.....

#14 wydellmd

wydellmd

Rookie

• 443 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 12:05 AM

It is really not that difficult.....If I had two days with Dwight, and if he was willing,,,,I could show him what he was doing wrong and how to fix it....Then it is a matter of practicing the new form......It would then take another few days of solid shooting to break the old habit, and get the new habit integrated.....

There is always fine tuning after ward...I continue to fine tune, and every great shooter does....But you need to lay a solid foundation first.....Dwight just doesn't have a solid foundation, due mainly to his lack of locking out his elbow.....

#15 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,592 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted January 28, 2013 - 01:29 AM

Posted Image

Lol, that was on today. Excellent usage sir

#16 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,299 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 28, 2013 - 01:55 AM

Paragraphs and sentences are your friends.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users