47 replies to this topic

#21 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,052 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted January 31, 2013 - 09:59 AM

^I have had the same injury with a different experience I guess. Motorcycle accident 3 years ago, landed on the shoulder at 30mph and tore the cuff. It does heal over a long period of time, but before it heals it does hurt like #$%^ when it gets hard bumped or if I try to do an extended range of motion or put heavy pressure on it.

Debbie Downer

#22 idontevenknow

idontevenknow

Rookie

• 91 posts
  • Name:Zeus
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted January 31, 2013 - 12:03 PM

My mistake. You can play with it and have no pain whatsoever until you aggravate it. So if you get hit by something or hit at the wrong angle it will be painful but this morning im sure dwight is only feeling sore. Unless he fractured a bone around his shoulder area, which is a possibillity when aggravating it, the injury really cant get any worse from here.

#23 idontevenknow

idontevenknow

Rookie

• 91 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 12:10 PM

And one more thing, If the Lakers training staff is so great, then they would have realized that when he first sprained his shoulder they should have sat him for a couple of weeks. If you dont let the AC sprain heal, it makes you much more likely to get the Labrum tear. Especially for a pro athlete who plays as often and as hard as a Dwight Howard

#24 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,204 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 12:22 PM

i don't have that injury and i don't mean to undermine your own personal experience, but dwight looked like he was in some severe [expletive]ing pain last night

It hurts when pressure is inflicted on the ligament
Posted Image

#25 Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Rookie

• 393 posts
  • Fan Since:@birth

Posted January 31, 2013 - 12:33 PM

And one more thing, If the Lakers training staff is so great, then they would have realized that when he first sprained his shoulder they should have sat him for a couple of weeks. If you dont let the AC sprain heal, it makes you much more likely to get the Labrum tear. Especially for a pro athlete who plays as often and as hard as a Dwight Howard

I thought the initial diagnosis was a tear and not a sprain. If that's the case, rest would have done nothing other than let the pain subside. Re-injury is always going to be an issue until Dwight gets it surgically repaired.

#26 idontevenknow

idontevenknow

Rookie

• 91 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 01:29 PM

He sprained it and took a week off, then he tore it. Its hard to just straight up tear your labrum without a recent sprain in a sport like basketball where contact is minimal.

#27 muncher

muncher

Rookie

• 528 posts
  • Name:Simon
  • Fav. Laker:Gary Vitti

Posted January 31, 2013 - 03:12 PM

I was listening on Mason and Ireland a while back, when they had a doc on about the Labrum.

Apparently if the tear or rip is in an area where there is high circulation, it will heal by itself over time. If it's in an area closer to the 'cup' (if I remember correctly), where the circulation is low, he will need surgery and be out for fair while.

#28 Bjork

Bjork

Sugg

• 1,297 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:bean

Posted February 01, 2013 - 10:51 AM

Los Angeles Lakers@Lakers

RT @LakersReporter: Dwight Howard is out tonight due to his sore right shoulder. Expect Pau Gasol to start at center & Earl Clark at PF.

#29 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,420 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 01, 2013 - 11:01 AM

Unfortunately, I see Dwight opting for surgery very soon.

#30 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,239 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted February 01, 2013 - 11:15 AM

#31 soooobased

soooobased

llama

• 226 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Horry, Fisher

Posted February 01, 2013 - 11:20 AM

I dont see how we can win a game with him sitting, we have almost zero defense without him as the anchor =/
Posted Image
Props to fkMikeBrown

#32 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,174 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted February 01, 2013 - 11:44 AM

might be best thing cuz teams will continue to hunt that arm & hack away.
Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#33 God Shammgod

God Shammgod

"Drink Hennessey straight, with tomato juice"

• 637 posts

Posted February 01, 2013 - 12:11 PM

I think the question now becomes, how long 'til he's 100%? October? Christmas? This time next year? Furthermore, is he going to be injury prone and decline sooner? Is he still worth a max contract?

I'm still 100% behind Dwight, but this FO better think long & hard about these issues.

#34 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,226 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted February 01, 2013 - 12:37 PM

Mike Bresnahan@Mike_Bresnahan

Dwight Howard returning to L.A. to receive PRP (platelet-rich plasma) treatment in his shoulder. Will rejoin team Sunday in DET.

Basically, it is used to relieve pain. Good, but teams will still try to hack the arm

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#35 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,590 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted February 01, 2013 - 01:33 PM

If the Lakers can't finish this road trip 5-2 he should opt for surgery in my opinion. To me, they can realistically afford to lose one more game on this trip. They put themselves in a hole losing to Phoenix (sounds familiar, huh?) 4-3 isn't going to help our playoff chances. If they don't start winning games NOW, they don't have a shot at the post-season and Dwight doesn't need to be playing through injury for the 10th seed.

The front office should do what they can to trim some of the fat on this team, and somehow get Pau outta here (if not before the deadline than during the offseason). Start setting up for next season, do whatever they can to assure Dwight that next season will be different (firing D'Antoni would be a good place to start) and Dwight should just do what he needs to do to get right physically.

Hang on to Clark, Hill, and Meeks, find a real backup point guard and a small forward capable of running either via trade or free agency. Get some athletes on the team. Half court offense isn't our problem, we don't have any guys who can run or jump and this is basketball, that's our problem. Transition offense is practically non-existent, and zero perimeter defense. We don't need another shooter, we don't need anymore veteran presence. We need quickness and explosiveness at the two positions which arguably require it the most; pg and sf.

So if it were my decision, I'd say go ahead and get the surgery if you feel you need it Dwight, and when you get back there won't be anymore of D'Antoni or his offense, and we'll work on shipping some of your teammates to the D-League and retirement homes and bring in some fresh legs to help you out on defense.

#36 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,409 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted February 01, 2013 - 02:02 PM

good that he returns !!!!

Germanys Craziest & Finest LA Lakers Fan #Manaro90

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

#37 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,226 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted February 02, 2013 - 12:27 PM

KEVIN DING@KevinDing

Dwight is said to be getting on a plane now in LA. Seems likely he will play tomorrow here in Detroit for the Lakers.

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#38 24allday

24allday

Rookie

• 1,391 posts
  • Name:Gavin
  • Fan Since:3rd grade - first started watching and loved Kobe
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba, #STAYSWAG

Posted February 02, 2013 - 12:49 PM

Hope to God we get the Dwight from Orlando sometime.. that guy was an absolute monster :eh:

#39 The Big Fish

The Big Fish

AKA Michael Knight

• 6,001 posts
  • Name:Travis
  • Fan Since:My dad showed me "showtime".
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe to Shaq.

Posted February 02, 2013 - 12:57 PM

Hope to God we get the Dwight from Orlando sometime.. that guy was an absolute monster :eh:

Probably won't till next year.Two major injuries in back-to-back years is quite alarming.

tysonsigv1ui2.jpg

REST IN PARADISE, Queen Fefe

I love you Ma!

October 26th, 2013

#40 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted February 02, 2013 - 09:53 PM

One way to not keep getting hurt is to stop getting stripped...which means you aint getting the ball unless you're rebounding or defending or dunking or putting back rebounds. No more post ups or creating from you. Resulting in a turnover, missed free throws or injuries. Hope he buys into the Tyson Chandler role

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users