Bjork

Sugg

• 1,280 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:bean

Posted January 27, 2013 - 06:11 PM

Posted Image

The center hopes his injured shoulder will heal without his having surgery and sitting out six months. As Howard describes it, the labrum in his right shoulder is intact but torn away from the bone.

The prospects of Dwight Howard's injured shoulder healing during the season may be far-fetched and surgery could knock him out for a considerable period of time.

"Six months," said Howard. "I'd rather live with it than have six months out again. That'd be two summers in a row, so I don't want that."

Instead he hopes to play through the injury. As Howard describes it, the labrum in his right shoulder is intact but torn away from the bone.

"Will it heal?" said Howard. "I hope so."

Howard undergoes regular therapy, icing it after games. During games it may numb out from time to time if he gets hit in the wrong spot.

At night he can't sleep on the shoulder.

Can it reattach to the bone on its own?

"Nah," said Howard. "Hopefully it won't bother me. I'll just have to keep rehabbing it and all that stuff."

For a true repair, Howard needs surgery. Instead he hopes that the Lakers' training staff will help him manage the pain. With some rest over the off-season, inflammation may subside and Howard would carry on with an imperfect shoulder.

If not, he could be in danger of another procedure and a lengthy recovery.

Howard was happy after the Lakers' 105-96 win over the Oklahoma City Thunder.

His teammates tried to get the ball early to Howard, who said recently, "For a lot of us bigs . . . give us some food, we're good. We don't eat, we're grumpy."

While Howard got opportunities, the Thunder was quick to foul him. Howard hit just two of 10 from the free-throw line. He also struggled with foul trouble, playing just 13 minutes in the second half.

Even with the injured shoulder, fouls and free throws, Howard's presence was enough as the Lakers took out one of the elite teams in the NBA.

Blake ready

Reserve point guard Steve Blake said he's ready to play Tuesday night when the Lakers host the New Orleans Hornets.

Blake has been sidelined since Nov. 11 because of multiple injuries. He underwent surgery to repair a torn abdominal muscle Dec. 5. More recently Blake had a platelet-rich plasma injection and cortisone short to heal a sore groin.

The Lakers have relied on guards Chris Duhon and Darius Morris in Blake's absence, with mixed results.

Edited by Bjork, January 27, 2013 - 06:11 PM.

#2 ツ  

ツ  

All-Star

• 5,654 posts
  • Fan Since:2003
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 27, 2013 - 06:19 PM

[expletive]

#3 Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Rookie

• 388 posts
  • Fan Since:@birth

Posted January 27, 2013 - 06:24 PM

For a true repair, Howard needs surgery. Instead he hopes that the Lakers' training staff will help him manage the pain. With some rest over the off-season, inflammation may subside and Howard would carry on with an imperfect shoulder.

I'd rather he get surgery in the off season than have to deal with it season to season, game to game.

#4 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,478 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted January 27, 2013 - 06:33 PM

I'd rather he get surgery in the off season than have to deal with it season to season, game to game.

Yea but then we would have to deal with another dwight rebuild over the offseason with possible missed games next season. That may ruin his carear.

Thing is his doctors and the trainers wont risk a long time injury for him. We have great trainers here and they are pretty good at knowing what you can play with and what not. Its probably just gonna be a pain thing for him and I am going to guess he can deal with it.

• 40,365 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 06:35 PM

Sign K-Mart & rest Dwight a little more. After all, K-Mart actually makes his free throws, doesn't turn the ball over as much/get stripped, can actually make the outside shot, finishes strong as well (dunking most of the time), plays decent to solid D contesting/blocking shots, and is tough.

yo.

#6 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,919 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 09:58 PM

Since admitted he needs surgery on the shoulder and its not 100% I hope he plays like the old Dwight, just focus on Defense, get putbacks or what not but not many plays are gonna run through you since you have a bum shoulder. Just leave it up to Pau, Kobe and Nash and they'll find you for open buckets but bring the DPOY version of yourself of D and rebounding. He got a nice stop on Durant and Westbrook late in the game deflecting balls away

PS Im kinda gland Jeff Van Gundy owned the hell out of him tonight lol he pretty much spoke what his brother wanted to say. Thats why you left Orlando because you didnt have any help now you come into a championship situation and you're pointing to shots as a copout you know the media will buy, just because you're frustrated with your physical limitations and cant dominate anymore on either end.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#7 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,402 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted January 27, 2013 - 10:47 PM

Since admitted he needs surgery on the shoulder and its not 100% I hope he plays like the old Dwight, just focus on Defense, get putbacks or what not but not many plays are gonna run through you since you have a bum shoulder. Just leave it up to Pau, Kobe and Nash and they'll find you for open buckets but bring the DPOY version of yourself of D and rebounding. He got a nice stop on Durant and Westbrook late in the game deflecting balls away

PS Im kinda gland Jeff Van Gundy owned the hell out of him tonight lol he pretty much spoke what his brother wanted to say. Thats why you left Orlando because you didnt have any help now you come into a championship situation and you're pointing to shots as a copout you know the media will buy, just because you're frustrated with your physical limitations and cant dominate anymore on either end.

Ummm....he might not be 100% but he sure as hell is still dominate on the defensive end

#8 RobBlake

RobBlake

Off The Bench

• 2,056 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, Fisher, Magic

Posted January 27, 2013 - 10:57 PM

hes not as dominate as he can be. hes not very mobile on the offense side either..mpre in the way

ap1.png

#9 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,478 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted January 27, 2013 - 11:09 PM

I doubt we get the old dwight. He isnt gonna be that dwight again I think. Though his defense is still great. He gets lots of rebounds, leads the league. If he can just improve on his offense more which really would just to fit in to the team better. I think with the more willing passing of kobe dwight will start to get more points. Todays game was just rough for him.

#10 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 35,899 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 27, 2013 - 11:33 PM

Todays game was rough cause he missed his free throws. Otherwise he'd have had 18 points.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#11 alvinlu

alvinlu

Rookie

• 1 posts
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 29, 2013 - 07:21 AM

another injury on another cartilage[labrum]. maybe Dwight is gonna take a trip to germany this summer???

#12 Calisupra2nr

Calisupra2nr

Rookie

• 849 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic & Kobe

Posted January 29, 2013 - 07:45 AM

Kind of sucks that we have to give this guy max contract this summer. If he can show any sign of being to return to form, then obviously he is a max player, but a bit better than Tyson Chandler at this point...idk.

#13 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,696 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted January 29, 2013 - 04:00 PM

Watching the Celtics do the self examination in the last few days. The C fans' consensus is that they are screwed for a pretty long time. Big contracts, old players, injured star in his prime. Sound familiar?

Rondo- wont see him again for 9+ months, whcih means next season may be shot as well. Unclear what kind of player he will be even when he gets back and in game form.
Garnett- untradeable huge contract
Pierce- maybe tradeable in the right situation, but the C's wont send him into a loser situation
Bass and Green- big contracts, little impact

Wanna become the Celtics in another year or so? Assuming Dwight wants to stay ... is it blasmephous to suggst that the Lakers should be very careful about what contract they sign him to? I realize it will have to be a max deal, but perhaps the numbers of years can be negotiated, a team option etc. The decline in effectiveness tis year is obvious to all ... what will he look like in another year or two?

No one really questioned Pau's big contract when he signed it, but now the Lakers are paying a well past his prime big man huge $ to come off the bench. Just saying, it could easily happen again with Dwight.

#14 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 35,899 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 29, 2013 - 06:08 PM

Dwight isn't gonna become a Pau. He will always be the 2nd option on this team. First, when Kobe retires. He's got many years before he's 33. Don't compare what Pau is going through now with what Dwight will be. Not the same

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#15 idontevenknow

idontevenknow

Rookie

• 91 posts
  • Name:Zeus
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:KB24

Posted January 30, 2013 - 11:32 AM

I have this same injury on the same shoulder.
1) it doesnt heal
2) it doesnt hurt
3) he probably wont get surgery until he retires
so theres really nothing to worry about

#16 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted January 30, 2013 - 05:27 PM

Sign K-Mart & rest Dwight a little more. After all, K-Mart actually makes his free throws, doesn't turn the ball over as much/get stripped, can actually make the outside shot, finishes strong as well (dunking most of the time), plays decent to solid D contesting/blocking shots, and is tough.

I told everyone we should have signed Kmart

#17 ツ  

ツ  

All-Star

• 5,654 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted January 30, 2013 - 05:30 PM

ehh i haven't heard much about the lakers in discussions for smith...

#18 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,268 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 30, 2013 - 05:35 PM

ehh i haven't heard much about the lakers in discussions for smith...

The only Lakers trade we knew was coming was the Dwight trade, that was a two year saga. The rest just pop up out of the blue.

Edited by Chad, January 30, 2013 - 05:36 PM.

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

• 40,365 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 11:45 PM

Gonna' have to play through even more apparently. It's only gonna' get worse before it gets better it seems. What a disastrous season for Dwight's health overall. Out of his whole career, it had to be with us that we didn't or haven't yet gotten' the real Dwight Howard.

yo.

#20 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,673 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted January 31, 2013 - 09:41 AM

I have this same injury on the same shoulder.
1) it doesnt heal
2) it doesnt hurt
3) he probably wont get surgery until he retires
so theres really nothing to worry about

i don't have that injury and i don't mean to undermine your own personal experience, but dwight looked like he was in some severe [expletive]ing pain last night

2div

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users