A positive sign that shows some promise

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

The Don, Cappo & Consigliere'

• 11,486 posts
  • Name:LT
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted January 26, 2013 - 02:34 PM

We our the only team in the NBA with a positive point differential that's under .500.
+1.2
PF: 102.3
PA: 101.1
Verify that for yourself at http://espn.go.com/nba/standings

If we can do what we did against the Jazz last night where we play the 2 man game with KB and D12 and Nash playing off the ball, with Ron free roaming but playing defense as a priority we will not only improve our offensive production but we will slow game tempos and limit transition baskets. I believe that alone will put us in a position where we can limit opposing teams to under 25 points per quarter. And that basic strategy will lead us to a win percentage of around .600 for the remaining games. That would put us in a 7th, maybe 6th seed position.
If we can continue to build chemistry and cohesion and Coach Pringles sticks to a back to basics strategy our seed position is irrelevant because we are definitely a team with upset potential. Lots of room for improvement before being a serious contender. But I believe they want it.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#2 God Shammgod

God Shammgod

"Drink Hennessey straight, with tomato juice"

• 637 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 02:45 PM

That is both sad and encouraging :no:

Let's take it one game at a time (no more season do overs lol) and see what we can do

#3 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,847 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 02:47 PM

Everybody wants to be the champ and thats not enough.. yeah they played good yesterday(something we never saw this year), but i learned that 1 ,2 ,heck 7 games streak is not a sign the team is playing good .. Until we get above the .500 ,and compete for the 7th or 6th(not sure what their record is) then i might have hope .. but for now, i am not impressed..

#4 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,158 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted January 26, 2013 - 02:47 PM

Law of averages say we will have a above .500 record lol

#5 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,786 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted January 26, 2013 - 03:20 PM

So yesterday they looked good. Very unlikely mw trash shoots 50% from behind the arc, pau is 7/8, the lakers make 11 straight fgs, and Kobe takes 10 shots again. I don't think that Trashtini is a good coach and last time I checked Duhon was still on the roster. I hope I'm wrong, but i think tomorrow wont be good.

#6 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,239 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted January 26, 2013 - 05:22 PM

So yesterday they looked good. Very unlikely mw trash shoots 50% from behind the arc, pau is 7/8, the lakers make 11 straight fgs, and Kobe takes 10 shots again. I don't think that Trashtini is a good coach and last time I checked Duhon was still on the roster. I hope I'm wrong, but i think tomorrow wont be good.

Your attempt at jokes were failures

#7 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,420 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 26, 2013 - 06:56 PM

Well one, Metta didn't shoot 50% from beyond the arc, he was at 45% and has shot over 50% percent from three a few times this season. Lakers possibly won't score 11 straight FG's because that's insane to do for any team. And Kobe probably won't take just ten shots again, although its the second time he's done it this season, but I think we'll all be content with anything under 20.

It was a nice attempt at humor though. Keep trying.

#8 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

• 1,786 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 06:58 PM

Yeah. Wasn't making jokes. Sorry. I was pointing out to win it took a lot of aberrations. I was using hyperbole To underscore my point. If I were attempting humor I would do a better job.

#9 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,239 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted January 26, 2013 - 07:31 PM

Yeah. Wasn't making jokes. Sorry. I was pointing out to win it took a lot of aberrations. I was using hyperbole To underscore my point. If I were attempting humor I would do a better job.

I don't think that Trashtini is a good coach

#10 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

• 1,786 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 07:41 PM

Fantastic. Thank you for your help!

#11 Notorious Arab

Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts
  • Fan Since:When I came to the USA

Posted January 26, 2013 - 07:46 PM

^ How about you make a quality post and actually contribute rather than give a half assed reply that sounded really dumb.

Anyway, I still believe the Lakers can still make a run into the playoffs if they keep up the type of effort and strategy they used in yesterday's game. They just need a more cohesive effort on PnR defense. Everybody needs to be on the same page.

Posted Image

#12 Phil Jackson

Phil Jackson

Rookie

• 158 posts
  • Name:Phil Jackson
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted January 26, 2013 - 07:47 PM

shouldnt it be trashtoni or something

#13 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

• 1,786 posts

Posted January 26, 2013 - 10:21 PM

I think a multitude of issues plague this team. Effort isn't consistent. Transition defense is abyssal. I think the coach is ill suited to this roster, and I think the only way to make a run with an old team is to emphasis team defense. It is frustrating that Kobe is having an amazing year and the team doesn't find any consistency.

We are halfway through the season and the coach can't settle on a rotation. I think the coach is more concerned with his system versus finding a way to maximize the roster he has. I find it sad that a player, like Pau, is shooting 20 foot jump shots. I think that to win, it will take a bunch of synergetic events that have happened rarely this season. I've been to too many games this year when the wheels have come off. Yes, the last game was great, I just don't think it will continue.

Edited by RonRonshandles, January 26, 2013 - 10:23 PM.

#14 Red September

Red September

Your Future Ex

• 2,720 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000ish
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24`

Posted January 26, 2013 - 10:27 PM

Kobe should be the pg role and nash should take the shooting guard role. if you know what i mean

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

#15 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 11,486 posts
  • Fan Since:When Magic crossed over the entire Warriors team in like 88. Chis Gatling looked like he was gonna cry.

Posted January 27, 2013 - 08:24 AM

I think a multitude of issues plague this team. Effort isn't consistent. Transition defense is abyssal. I think the coach is ill suited to this roster, and I think the only way to make a run with an old team is to emphasis team defense. It is frustrating that Kobe is having an amazing year and the team doesn't find any consistency.

We are halfway through the season and the coach can't settle on a rotation. I think the coach is more concerned with his system versus finding a way to maximize the roster he has. I find it sad that a player, like Pau, is shooting 20 foot jump shots. I think that to win, it will take a bunch of synergetic events that have happened rarely this season. I've been to too many games this year when the wheels have come off. Yes, the last game was great, I just don't think it will continue.

While you are correct in all of the above when referring to our season, the outcome was the exact opposite of everything you said in the game vs the Jazz.. If they continue to play the 2 man game between KB and Dwight with Nash off the ball, as they did against the Jazz were gonna be a threat to everyone in the league from here out.
If we didn't fail in trying what we've already done, then we couldn't try to change things going forward. Thats what makes progress possible.

Kobe should be the pg role and nash should take the shooting guard role. if you know what i mean

Yea, 14 assists proved that. I believe that a deviation from the norm is what makes teams a competitor. So I agree. Coach Dantoniomos tried something and it worked. Lets pray he sticks to it.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#16 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

• 1,786 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 10:09 AM

I hope that the Utah game was the new norm, I have just gotten excited too many times only to see one good game and 7 bad ones. Here is hoping the good times continue.

#17 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,420 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 03:50 PM

Good call

#18 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

• 1,786 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 04:10 PM

Im glad I was wrong.

#19 LakersGAFan

LakersGAFan

• 11,486 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 04:31 PM

The game was great. Through all the improvements the team has made that I pointed out, only the end result matters:
Qt. 1 2 3 4 Total
OKC 23 30 22 21 96
LAL 27 25 23 30 105
We held OKC under 25 points for 3 of 4 quarters. As I said in my OP if we can continue this game plan and limit transition baskets we should be able to accomplish this consistently. And that equals more wins.

A good thing to focus on the the 2nd quarter when we didnt hold them under 25 points:
When D12 went to the bench with foul trouble we deviated from the game plan. We tried to run with OKC for about 3-4 minutes and it resulted in a 14-4 OKC run.
HOWEVER
KB the God and Pau the trusted side kick started running the high pick n roll and it worked. The entire team fed off their efforts. It re-focused us and we fought back. We settled back into out game plan.
We could have choked, panicked and let the game slip away. But as a team they held their composure and kept it close. And in the 2nd hald that momentum continued.
The team learned a lot in that 2nd quarter. I was proud.

Edited by LakersGAFan, January 27, 2013 - 04:37 PM.

KBdive_zpsa0338da3.jpg

#20 lakersince75

lakersince75

Off The Bench

• 1,412 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted January 27, 2013 - 04:40 PM

If they play hard as they did the last two games, we will easily make the playoffs. I told you guys in another thread that other teams have to hit their bumps in the road also. But believe me, we have a long way to go and alot of wounds need to heal. Let's hope it's not too late

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users