421 replies to this topic

#301 muncher

muncher

Rookie

• 517 posts
  • Name:Simon
  • Fav. Laker:Gary Vitti

Posted January 27, 2013 - 10:36 PM

Back on topic. Do you really think Rudy Gay will be moved by trade deadline?

#302 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 17,689 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 27, 2013 - 10:39 PM

If he does get traded, I hope he goes to an East team.

#303 Notorious Arab

Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts
  • Fan Since:When I came to the USA

Posted January 27, 2013 - 10:40 PM

Stein just posted that Grizz aren't interested in Pierce. Looks like its not gonna happen.

Posted Image

#304 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 27, 2013 - 10:40 PM

Just refuting what you said as bull[expletive]. Predictably, you have nothing else to say.

I'm just done engaging with you. It goes nowhere.

I'm clearly not going to change any of your opinions on Gasol whatsoever, so what's the point? You have this odd fixation on hating Pau no matter what, at all costs. So, go ahead, do your thing. Don't expect me to bother reading any of it though. You seem more concerned about making sure everyone knows how much you hate Pau then the Lakers actually winning and saving a lost season.

Edited by hotpocket, January 27, 2013 - 10:42 PM.

#305 magicbalala245

magicbalala245

Call Me Mr. Clutch or Mr. Automatic

• 3,456 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born in '91
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Lamar

Posted January 27, 2013 - 10:43 PM

Grizz, I'm told, highly unlikely to pursue Pierce. Fear No. 1: How happy would Pierce be trading Boston for Memphis? They can guess answer

If Grizz move Gay they hope to address depth/shooting deficiencies and/or add youth and/or balance payroll better. Pierce doesn't quite fit

Celts, meantime, have shown exploratory interest in Gay but they're $1.3M over tax line. Adding long-term money at this juncture? Unlikely

Sense I get is it's far likelier Celts pursue Kyle Lowry and his cap-friendly contract. But do Celts have assets to land Raps PG? We'll see

Danny Ainge seen as a try-anything dice roller but trading legends like Pierce & KG way harder than shopping Rondo. Skeptical Danny's ready

Danny Ainge is ready to trade KG and Pierce now.

Edited by magicbalala245, January 27, 2013 - 10:44 PM.

Posted Image

#306 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 10:44 PM

Stein just posted that Grizz aren't interested in Pierce. Looks like its not gonna happen.

Eh, I'd rather have Smith.

Wouldn't surprise me if Pau doesn't get traded though.

#307 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,624 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted January 27, 2013 - 10:55 PM

Eh, I'd rather have Smith.

Wouldn't surprise me if Pau doesn't get traded though.

Cuz the smith trade is so much more likely. Litterally no reason to think they would want pau when they have had many chances before to get him.

#308 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 11:03 PM

Cuz the smith trade is so much more likely. Litterally no reason to think they would want pau when they have had many chances before to get him.

Never said it was. Just wasn't that sold on Gay to begin with.

If we were to somehow land Smith it would likely be a 3 team trade. They exist, you know.

Edited by hotpocket, January 27, 2013 - 11:04 PM.

#309 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,624 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted January 27, 2013 - 11:06 PM

Never said it was. Just wasn't that sold on Gay to begin with.

If we were to somehow land Smith it would likely be a 3 team trade. They exist, you know.

My point is gay is being shopped and right now smith isnt. Saying no to gay because we want smith is ridiculous being that smith isnt even being shopped.

#310 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 11:09 PM

My point is gay is being shopped and right now smith isnt. Saying no to gay because we want smith is ridiculous being that smith isnt even being shopped.

Didn't say 'no' to Gay, just that there are definite concerns about acquiring him and I'm not too upset if we don't get him.

If you look above, it's looking a lot less likely we land Gay now anyway.

#311 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,797 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted January 27, 2013 - 11:20 PM

Either Gay or Smith would be an upgrade over Pau Gasol. They'd actually be earning much of their contracts with their play unlike Pau. Expectations have fallen so low that any half-decent showing is cause for celebration. You make the move to get younger and more athletic on the wing if it's available to you. We have desperately needed that for two seasons now, it's a move for both now and the future. You don't just simply pass it up and hold out for some perfect dream trade that might never come, not when Gasol's value fluctuates on a weekly basis.

Holding onto Pau Gasol longer than we should has been our biggest mistake. We had better make a move prior to the deadline.

#312 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 11:52 PM

If Gay was completely earning his contract Memphis wouldn't be looking to get rid of him, they'd move other pieces. What makes you think he will here? Also, he makes what like $17 mil a year? He's not exactly a bargain. Combined with his low efficiency and suspect D, it all raise causes for concern.

I'm not completely sold on him, but I would agree it's a better move for the future than hanging on to a fluctuating Gasol.

#313 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,797 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 12:12 AM

They'll get rid of him because he doesn't fit their long term plan. They have no need for him because he doesn't fit their system at all. It's much easier to get rid of the one piece that doesn't fit as opposed to dealing away two other core pieces. The only thing down about Rudy Gay this season is his shooting percentage. He's literally only making one less shot a game than he was the last five years. That's it, just one less field goal. Virtually everything else has stayed the same across the board. I'm not really worried about his efficiency at all, especially if he can adapt to playing off-ball and thriving off Kobe and Howard. That's the key to him being successful if he does end up here, playing like a Shawn Marion type would make him invaluable.

His "suspect D" has been very overstated in the last few days. He's not an elite Tony Allen type lockdown defender, but he can more than hold his own on that end against elite competition. He's got great length, athleticism, and he's quick on his feet in transition. All things that we desperately need on the defensive end. For once we'd also have a wing-man other than Kobe capable of creating his own shot and actually making the opposition work on the defensive end. Making elite players play two sides of the ball as opposed to only focusing on offense makes a world of difference.

His contract ends in 2015 as well, which isn't bad at all for us. Best case is that we've found a suitable running mate for Howard and we pick up a guard that can push the pace and make use of two of the most athletic players in the league in the middle of their prime. Worst case scenario is that we free up a bit of cap space at the end of his contract and make a run at some of the FAs in that 2015 class. You can't really go wrong with a trade like this.

#314 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,318 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 02:03 AM

Sense I get is it's far likelier Celts pursue Kyle Lowry and his cap-friendly contract. But do Celts have assets to land Raps PG? We'll see
If Grizz move Gay they hope to address depth/shooting deficiencies and/or add youth and/or balance payroll better. Pierce doesn't quite fit

http://espn.go.com/n...tradeId=asodkft
I made a trade work, and even got Wroten!

Or This. Toronto GM is terrible, I'm sure he would take this deal.
http://espn.go.com/n...tradeId=9wwgwxz

Edited by Chad, January 28, 2013 - 02:21 AM.

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#315 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,102 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 08:19 AM

Any player the lakers get for pau will include Minnesota as a 3-way IMO
Posted Image

#316 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,177 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted January 28, 2013 - 09:51 AM

http://espn.go.com/n...tradeId=asodkft
I made a trade work, and even got Wroten!

Or This. Toronto GM is terrible, I'm sure he would take this deal.
http://espn.go.com/n...tradeId=9wwgwxz

14 player 4 team trade? Don't think so.

#317 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 05:03 PM

They'll get rid of him because he doesn't fit their long term plan. They have no need for him because he doesn't fit their system at all. It's much easier to get rid of the one piece that doesn't fit as opposed to dealing away two other core pieces. The only thing down about Rudy Gay this season is his shooting percentage. He's literally only making one less shot a game than he was the last five years. That's it, just one less field goal. Virtually everything else has stayed the same across the board. I'm not really worried about his efficiency at all, especially if he can adapt to playing off-ball and thriving off Kobe and Howard. That's the key to him being successful if he does end up here, playing like a Shawn Marion type would make him invaluable.

His "suspect D" has been very overstated in the last few days. He's not an elite Tony Allen type lockdown defender, but he can more than hold his own on that end against elite competition. He's got great length, athleticism, and he's quick on his feet in transition. All things that we desperately need on the defensive end. For once we'd also have a wing-man other than Kobe capable of creating his own shot and actually making the opposition work on the defensive end. Making elite players play two sides of the ball as opposed to only focusing on offense makes a world of difference.

His contract ends in 2015 as well, which isn't bad at all for us. Best case is that we've found a suitable running mate for Howard and we pick up a guard that can push the pace and make use of two of the most athletic players in the league in the middle of their prime. Worst case scenario is that we free up a bit of cap space at the end of his contract and make a run at some of the FAs in that 2015 class. You can't really go wrong with a trade like this.

Yeah, he doesn't fit their long term plans because he has a huge contract and isn't worth the money vs. production. That is the reason they are moving him, period. He was supposed to be a franchise player but he hasn't quite lived up to it. His efficiency is definitely an issue this year with career lows in FG% and 3P%. Also that is a huge if on playing well off the ball. From what I've seen, Gay is a player who creates for himself. That's what he's good at.

Being athletic doesn't mean you're a good defender. It's a skill and mind set along with basketball IQ. He is hardly a great defender. Agree he could definitely help in transition though (offense and defense).

#318 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,797 posts

Posted January 28, 2013 - 05:42 PM

Yeah, he doesn't fit their long term plans because he has a huge contract and isn't worth the money vs. production. That is the reason they are moving him, period. He was supposed to be a franchise player but he hasn't quite lived up to it. His efficiency is definitely an issue this year with career lows in FG% and 3P%. Also that is a huge if on playing well off the ball. From what I've seen, Gay is a player who creates for himself. That's what he's good at.

Being athletic doesn't mean you're a good defender. It's a skill and mind set along with basketball IQ. He is hardly a great defender. Agree he could definitely help in transition though (offense and defense).

He was never a franchise player, but his contract isn't nearly as terrible as you're making it out to be. This isn't Rashard Lewis or Gilbert Arenas here. It's better than what Pau is getting currently, at any rate. He'll be 28 years old right smack dab in his prime in that final year. Again, that FG% is the result of making one less basket per game. Just one shot. He hasn't fallen off the map or anything, it's literally one less basket a game. That's the only difference between him this season compared to any other time from '07-12.

If he's playing off ball, then his speed and athleticism play a major role for us because he'd be getting more open looks than at any other point in his career. A freak athlete on the wings will thrive on a team with Kobe and Howard soaking up the majority of defensive attention. He's not going to start shooting 60% or anything, but he'd definitely see an uptick in that efficiency with easier looks on the floor.

I never said being athletic made anyone a good defender, but he has all the tools necessary to be one. The fact that he's athletic with great length is a major plus for on the defensive end. Skill and mindset isn't everything at the NBA level, physical ability is extremely important as well. Half of playing defense is having the physical tools necessary to keep up with your man. A 6'8 athlete with major hops and a 7'3 wingspan has all the physical tools necessary to become a great defender. The potential to develop into a lockdown defender is there, he just needs to buy into that role. With the right tutelage he could become a monster.

All he'd need to do is buy into his role here. With both Kobe and Howard here, I don't see us having much trouble in convincing him to do so.

#319 magicbalala245

magicbalala245

Call Me Mr. Clutch or Mr. Automatic

• 3,456 posts
  • Fan Since:I was born in '91
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Magic, Lamar

Posted January 28, 2013 - 05:43 PM

The Memphis Grizzlies continue to field calls from teams interested in Rudy Gay and are engaged in active trade discussions with the Toronto Raptors, sources with knowledge of the talks told ESPN.com.
Although the framework of a workable trade has not yet been established, sources told ESPN.com that Toronto -- known to be perhaps Gay's most determined suitor -- has continued to make a hard push for the swingman.
The Grizzlies, though, maintain that last week's luxury-tax-slashing trade with Cleveland means they no longer feel the same pressure to move Gay or another high-priced player before the NBA's Feb. 21 trade deadline.
New Grizzlies CEO Jason Levien told local reporters late last week that "we really like our team" and that it is "more likely than not that we do nothing" in terms of breaking up Memphis' marquee foursome of Gay, point guard Mike Conley, forward Zach Randolph and center Marc Gasol.
But sources say that the Raptors, undaunted by that stance, continue to pursue Gay and also covet Grizzlies forward Darrell Arthur. Toronto, sources said, has made veteran point guard Jose Calderon and blossoming young forward Ed Davis available as the two cornerstones of its offer.
Other teams remain engaged with the Grizzlies as well, as Memphis officials continue to weigh whether it is best to trade Gay or keep together the core of a team that has ranked among the top four in the Western Conference.
If talks with the Raptors do progress, according to sources, it's possible that a trade with Memphis could expand to include other teams and players. NBA front-office sources have maintained for weeks that Calderon (who has an expiring contract), fellow Raptors point guard Kyle Lowry (only $1 million in guaranteed salary next season) and former No. 1 overall pick Andrea Bargnani all are available.

Edited by magicbalala245, January 28, 2013 - 10:35 PM.

Posted Image

#320 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&#

• 23,091 posts
  • Name:Kyler Hay
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Nash.Young, Farmar

Posted January 28, 2013 - 05:44 PM

Legion Sports@MySportsLegion

The Grizzles & Raptors are "engaged" in active discussions on a potential trade that would include Rudy Gay, Ed Davis & Jose Calderon (ESPN)

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users