192 replies to this topic

#141 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,866 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 30, 2013 - 12:53 PM

You truly did ruin a good topic. Whatever. I'm done replying to you. Continue looking foolish on here, and please, don't create a fake account just so you have ONE person in agreement with you, because that's what you'll need to do.

#142 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,777 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 30, 2013 - 01:29 PM

You were the one that said running MD's system was the right thing......turns out you are the one that is wrong

You try to say Real Deal blames everything on Nash and MD but take a look in the mirror......you blame everything on Kobe.

Haters gonna hate :81:

I said trusting the offense and sharing the ball was the right thing to do. I stick by that. You say the offense was the problem and I say we couldn't run the offense without Kobe passing like he's doing now.

I'm not blaming everything on Kobe. I blamed ONE THING on Kobe (offensively). The offense didn't have a chance to work if he held the ball. The offense could NOT work if it wasn't free flowing, without any one player taking the majority of the shots on a consistent basis. You refute that?

Agree to disagree?

This is where you are wrong and what everyone else is refuting you on. Nash being the center of the offense caused it to fail, forcing Kobe to have to bail the Lakers out late into the shot clock. That was D'Antoni's original system and it wasn't working.

Just take a look at the difference in Nash playing off the ball and Kobe in the same position. The ball NEVER sticks to Nash's hands. Nash doesn't get the ball from Kobe and backs it out for 1-on-1. That's
the difference. It's not Nash is a better player than Kobe. It's Nash is playing the right way for the offense than Kobe.

HUGE difference. That's why Kobe "had to bail them out late in the shot clock". That's why the offense never FLOWED with Kobe off-the-ball. It wasn't "Nash couldn't run this offense". That's a statement that doesn't make sense since it's an offense that Nash has won MULTIPLE MVPs in...yet, Nash and the offense was the problem? That makes sense to you? 1+1? SMH...

But now Kobe is "the spoke in the middle of the wheel" and good things are happening as a result. Nash and MDA's comments indicate this change brought a positive impact with it.

Kobe's the spoke so that the ball doesn't stick. Plain and simple. If he's not, ball sticks. That's the change. That's all they needed to change. Kobe won't do that unless he's in control...Nash is a great player who is willing to adjust. Kobe refused to relinquish control.

How you can argue against Nash orchestrating the offense is incredulous. How you don't see that Kobe finally getting teammates involved as a catalyst for the teammates success is even more so. It is what it is.

Your own words here and in multiple previous posts have been turned against you, it's impossible for you to be able to reconcile that with the Laker's new style as I've just shown.

My words have not changed. Not since Kobe putting up 40 shots. Not since Nash was first acquired. Not since Brown and the Princeton. Get the team involved and don't worry about a 1st, 2nd or 3rd option. Move the ball and find the open man.

You ignore the fact that Kobe going Kobe was the problem. You ignore the fact that Kobe's play and actions within MDA's offense were diametrically opposed to everything the offense was about. You focus ONLY on Kobe being out front and the Lakers winning, ignoring simple logic. Good luck with that.

NO-ONE outside of Magic Johnson could run MDA's offense as well as Steve Nash. What Kobe's doing now is running a shell of MDA's offensive principles the only way he knows how to play basketball: with the ball in his hands...

I hope you realize that is, by definition, running an offense through Dwight. In fact you just described the 4 out 1 in, the offense Orlando used to reach the finals in 2009, when they were running it through a certain player.

The number of contradictions here is getting to be ridiculous.

I'm sorry. That was meant for Real Deal because I know he understands coaching lingo. For the layperson, running an offense thru someone means they are the focus of the offense, whether they touch the ball most plays or not. For coaches, running an offense THRU a player means they are specifically involved, touching the ball on each play (or the vast majority) and most times, most off-ball movement is initiated once the ball touches their hands. That's the wrong way to use Dwight.

You can run an offense THRU Pau because he's such a good passer and back-to-the-basket player (well, he was at one point in his career). He passes well with either hand and has excellent court vision. Running the offense thru Pau in the Triple post (Triangle) is a great example of what it looks like and what a coach means.

Dwight can be the focal point of an offense without him TOUCHING the ball until he's in SCORING position...it's the BEST way to utilize his specific talents. By keeping Dwight involved in screens, picks, rubs and cuts, you force Dwight's man to help and move out of proper defensive position (on Dwight) and allows his teammates to hit him in stride against smaller players or late help. That's what the 4-out is all about. That offense is predicated on spacing created by ball movement and Dwight flashing from weak to strong and setting picks to free up players moving without the ball (along with weak side players setting screens for each other, at times). The player movement around Dwight is only significant in the 4-out when he's surrounded by shooters because of the rotations it forces the defense to make and it DEPENDS on Dwight's man not being able to stay glued to Dwight.

That's NOT the same as running the offense thru Dwight. Trust me, I've learned a LOT from some of the best coaches around. I wouldn't make these statements without confidence that I know what I'm talking about.

Running an offense THRU a player and having them as the FOCAL POINT is NOT the same thing. Dwight is a focal point...based on his skill set, running an offense THRU him is asking for trouble.

BIGs you can run an offense THRU?

Dirk
Pau
LeMarcus
LBJ
Duncan
KG
Marc Gasol
Love
Boozer (young Boozer)
Greg Monroe
Bogut

Notice a pattern? Good passers, face-up game, mid-range shot, handles...

Dwight is not the same as these guys. Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by GCMD, January 30, 2013 - 01:31 PM.

#143 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,777 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 01:34 PM

You truly did ruin a good topic. Whatever. I'm done replying to you. Continue looking foolish on here, and please, don't create a fake account just so you have ONE person in agreement with you, because that's what you'll need to do.

Sorry you feel that way my friend. If this discussion has become that personal to you, I take all the blame for that.

Have a good day.

#144 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,777 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 02:13 PM

All you're doing is putting the blame on Kobe for the entire season MINUS the last three games, which is pretty sad. And you're lying to yourself in the process, with most everything you say.

And this comment...

If that makes you feel better, go with that. I said Kobe needed to use his teammates more for the Lakers to win...it happened...sounds like I was right to "blame" him...

Is funny. It won't work HERE because Nash didn't establish himself as a shooter. It would work, though, if we had him, Ron, and maybe one other (oh, that Earl Clark guy) doing so...and we had at least 10-15 games doing it.

How do I know? Because he did it FOR YEARS IN ORLANDO. You obviously don't understand just how much the lack of spacing hurts his effectiveness in the post, so it's whatever.

Let's go over this one more time. Nash vs Kobe on the wing. Both will demand attention. Help can NOT come from the guy defending either. Yet, Nash shooting from 3 is the reason we have better spacing? No. Kobe refused to be a decoy. He only operates with the ball in his hands. Instead of adjusting his game to accommodate a ball dominant PG (which is what Nash CLEARLY was BEFORE coming to LA), he demanded the ball, making it impossible for Nash to be Nash. Fine.

Doesn't matter if you swap Kobe or Nash out on the wing. Defense can't leave either. How does Nash shooting from the wing increase our spacing? I'm not getting what you're trying to say...actually, I do get it but it makes no sense.

Nash draws more attention on the wing than Kobe...yeah....no.

Kobe is not playing PG. He is playing facilitator. You need to know the difference, and why it's important in this offense. Why the hell do you keep saying that?

As for your major question that, really, doesn't make sense...

Ok...semantics. Kobe's playing FACILITATOR...doesn't change my point. But if it makes you feel better...

Try to read, not stare.

Kobe is NOT running an uptempo offense. He's not bringing the ball up and pushing the tempo, dumping the ball off quickly. He's waiting for doubles that come to him WITHOUT the drive...he doesn't even need the P&R. That's the difference between a player who is still a superstar (KB) and who is now a role player (Nash). He did this multiple times last night. Five or six of his assists came to Dwight Howard, who was NOT playing like Amare (out of the P&R or spotting up for 15-footers). LEARN the difference. It's not the same offense.

Neither was Nash. He didn't sprint down the court, no matter how hard you try to make people believe that...doesn't make sense that he would, coming off a leg injury, missing almost a third of the season...he would not be ABLE to play that fast...sorry, still not buying it. AND we didn't see that on the court.

And Kobe's not playing the same as Nash? Wow...thanks...would NEVER have guessed that...it's not like he ever COULD replicate what Nash and Amare did in PHO because Kobe isn't Nash and Dwight ISN'T Amare.

I didn't say it was the same offense. I said they are executing the same PRINCIPLES from MDA's offense, namely the free-flowing, share the ball aspect. We have gone away from Kobe's ISO/Post-ups to Kobe LOOKING to setup teammates. And many of those assists came from Kobe attacking to PASS instead of Kobe attacking to force up a SHOT. That's something he could have done from the 2 in MDA's offense...not sure why he's getting so much credit for it now.

Kobe scoring less is better? No, players taking advantage of Kobe's primacy is better. It's better than them standing there and doing absolutely nothing. Nash didn't do a damn thing without the ball for how many games now?

What do you expect them to do on ISOLATION plays? Read Kobe's MIND? You crack me up. Players are darned if they do, darned if they don't. I guess these guys didn't WANT the ball until now? LOL...

Blame the rest of the team when Kobe wasn't passing them the ball and claim they are now TRYING because KOBE's orchestrating the offense, not Nash...LOL...

"Logic" fails us again.

I love the fact that D'Antoni AND Nash both told you there really isn't an offense. D'Antoni would have just come out and said that it's the same offense, with Kobe replacing Nash's role...but he didn't. Get that through your skull, dude.

Holy [expletive], man...what has happened to you? :facepalm:

Kobe CAN'T replace Nash because Kobe could NEVER do what Nash did. What Kobe has done is replaced Nash as the primary ballhandler and playmaker, implementing PRINCIPLES of off-ball movement, cutting, slashing and quick passes to find the best shot every possession.

Sorry my earlier statements confused anyone...Kobe is not Nash...but Kobe's playing PG/Facilitator/Playmaker for us now instead of Nash.

It would be an INSULT to Nash or any pure PG to say they are running MDA's offense. To be fair, it's more like we've added ANOTHER PG to the lineup because we all know Nash, no matter what position you put him at, will make the best play, be it an aggressive drive, quick shot or pass for an easy score.

That's what we did NOT get from Kobe at that 2 spot.

D'Antoni's offense DID NOT WORK. They changed it. MDA and Nash admitted that they changed it. You still think they didn't. Shut the hell up already.

Wow...guess being a MODERATOR or ADMINISTRATOR has it's perks. This is how you treat your members who are here to have spirited discussion?

A member who has NEVER sworn or cursed at ANYONE on the site? Wow. Thanks.

As for your statements, they changed everything...yes. It didn't work...yes. Now ask yourself why! The same reason it DIDN'T succeed is the same reason we are winning. Kobe's passing.

Want to talk about what was said about the offense?

How about Dwight talking about "TRUST" on the team?
How about Nash talking about sharing the ball?
How about MDA talking about them not buying into the offense?
How about any and everyone talking about Kobe shooting too much?

Yes, you are right. It didn't work...that's MUCH different from it COULDN'T work. It COULD have worked if we didn't have people trying to play superhero...that's all I've got to say.

And if you're going to be so hostile, just put me on your IGNORE list!!! I'm not MAKING you read or respond to me nor am I hurting anyone else.

#145 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 30, 2013 - 02:35 PM

Let's face it GCMD, you're the one that came into this topic with a condescending attitude and its obvious you have an issue with RD.

You did ruin this topic and you can't accept being wrong because over the past few days the players, analysts, and other reporters have ALL said this isn't D'Antoni's offense.

So unless you're more knowledgable than the players, you're wrong. That's it. Now move on, get back on topic or don't post in this particular topic anymore.

#146 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,777 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 02:51 PM

Let's face it GCMD, you're the one that came into this topic with a condescending attitude and its obvious you have an issue with RD.

You did ruin this topic and you can't accept being wrong because over the past few days the players, analysts, and other reporters have ALL said this isn't D'Antoni's offense.

So unless you're more knowledgable than the players, you're wrong. That's it. Now move on, get back on topic or don't post in this particular topic anymore.

Was I really condescending? If so I apologize.

Did I go off-topic? If so, I apologize.

Did I not say the offense was scrapped? If I didn't, I apologize.

I've stuck by what I've said and what this topic was about. The Lakers and their performance thus far. I have had my own theory of why they performed so poorly and have outlined it clearly (if not succinctly). All comments I made to Real were because we have history long before this BOARD was started, not just this thread. Anything I've said about his posts or reasons for these posts are between US, as we have had PERSONAL conversations and discussion on previous boards. They are based on HIS words and actions, not slander or unfounded accusations.

The Lakers would have performed better this year if we shared the ball more, from top to bottom. If that's off topic, I apologize. Say so and I'll leave this discussion.

As far as I'm concerned, MDA and Nash abandoning the offense PROVES my point, not the other way around. Kobe averaging over 10 apg in our recent wins also supports what I was saying. I believe this IS the point of this thread. Am I wrong?

#147 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,694 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 30, 2013 - 03:02 PM

Your point always seems to be that Kobe doesn't use his team mates and you insinuate that he's a ball hog and that he has to pass for us to be successful. But you insinuate it as Kobe not being a passer. And you couldn't be further from the truth. Here's how wrong you are.

Kobe's been the number one passing SG and was always main facilitator of all Laker teams.

The only reason that dropped this year was because Nash was thought to be the one to do that and use Kobe off ball. It didn't work out. Now Kobe is back to being mnain facilitator and because of the talent surrounding him he's had 14 14 and 11 assists. Kobe has ALWAYS passed. He's been main facilitator since the triangle days. In fact even with his assist numbers down because he's been off ball most of this year there's only 2 people in the league(not point guards) that avg more assists than him. Lebron and Harden.

So even playing off ball, only lebron and harden average more assists per game than Kobe... And now being main facilitator Kobe if he stays on pace will be in the top 10 11th at least in assists in the league...

So what were you saying?

So even playing off ball there's only TWO people in the league(not point guards) that average more assists than Kobe, Lebron and Harden.. THAT'S IT!

And now being main facilitator as he's been his entire career but finally surrounded by great talent and better shooters Kobe is on pace to finish top 10 in the league in assists. So yeah..

You were wrong there too. Even when Kobe "wasn't using his team mates" as you try to always say... Only LeBron and Harden averaged more assists than him

So yeah..

Edited by Majesty, January 30, 2013 - 03:09 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#148 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,777 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 03:34 PM

Your point always seems to be that Kobe doesn't use his team mates and you insinuate that he's a ball hog and that he has to pass for us to be successful. But you insinuate it as Kobe not being a passer. And you couldn't be further from the truth. Here's how wrong you are.

So even playing off ball there's only TWO people in the league(not point guards) that average more assists than Kobe, Lebron and Harden.. THAT'S IT!

And now being main facilitator as he's been his entire career but finally surrounded by great talent and better shooters Kobe is on pace to finish top 10 in the league in assists. So yeah..

You were wrong there too. Even when Lobe "wasn't using his team mates" as you try to always say... Only LeBron and Harden averaged more assists than him

So yeah..

Agree to disagree.

Kobe shot entirely too much at the beginning of the season. Him having the 30th best apg this year has nothing to do with his shot selection and decision-making. With a team this talented, averaging 5.3 apg isn't as outstanding as it may seem...if you exclude his first 3 years in the league, know what his assists per game average over the last 14 years has been?

5.18....or 5.2 apg. 0.1 less than this year to date. So where is the "oh wow" in that?

And Harden? A combo guard?

As far as your point, I'm not seeing anything he's done this year that he hasn't done in previous years. If you want to get technical, when the Lakers have won, he's averaged more apg...that's exactly what I've said...is your point that he was already doing ENOUGH for the Lakers to win? That he was PASSING enough for the Lakers to win? If so, explain...

If you really want to compare what Kobe's doing as far as his apg compared to other guards, you have to compare how many shots he takes, how much he has the ball in his hands compared to PGs who average more apg and his A/T per game. That will adequately express how Kobe's doing as far as passing the ball.

I can tell you right now that Kobe ball dominance and use of possessions is up there with most PGs who average at least 3 apg MORE than he EVER has. So comparing his apg to theirs is an immediate and EPIC fail.

And I'm not "insinuating" that Kobe's a ball hog. I'm STATING it. On previous teams, it was acceptable because we just didn't have the talent and Kobe was YOUNGER and much more ATHLETIC than he is now. It's unacceptable for him to continue to play the same when he CLEARLY doesn't have to.

#149 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,866 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 03:47 PM

Guys, guys...Mike D'Antoni just wanted them to PASS THE BALL! Like every [expletive] coach in NBA history. That's all.

And now he's got it. Done! He's a genius, guys.

Mike D'Antoni: "Fellas...let's ditch the Nash-led offense. We just need to pass the ball!"

Nobody said to construct the offense around Nash, huh? Haha...okay.

Before the offense changed, Kobe was still having one of the best seasons he has ever had in his career...shooting-wise and scoring-wise, still averaging around five assists a night, still pulling down around five boards. Doing exactly what he did in the other championship seasons, but with a 48% FG% that was a career high.

And he was the problem, for being a ball hog... :81:
Excuses for everything. The fact remains that the offense was ditched, and the ball was put into Kobe Bryant's hands, and the team's new offense was constructed around his play...because he is the biggest threat on this team. He is the BEST player on this team, hands down (it's not even close). He is the franchise player, the superstar, and that's who you build a team around...not a 39-year old PG that admits in an interview just days ago that he no longer has that ability to do what Kobe is able to do (and he never did anyway...if Nash didn't have shooters knocking down shots, he was toast, and that's why his Suns teams never made it to the Finals).

#150 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,866 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 04:26 PM

In fact, let's stop playing games. Didn't feel like doing this, but whatever...some older posts of yours, just so we can see what offense you wanted to run:

Steve Nash is a walking offense. There is nothing for the Lakers to learn or change except make basketball plays.

Wrong, says Nash and D'Antoni.

Yeah right...if he wants to "do everything" to help this team, he'll watch tape of Nash in PHO to see where he can find shots WITHIN the offense.

Ah, so...the Phoenix offense, the Phoenix Nash.

This team needs to buy into the offense. It's proven to get us easy shots and mask one of our chief weaknesses: lack of 1-on-1 players.

Which offense? D'Antoni and Nash say there isn't any particular offense they are playing now. Their words, not mine.

When Nash dominants the ball, everyone knows to keep their hands ready and they will get a chance.

Nope.

All of the "heavy lifting" (read: volume shooting) Kobe's doing is because Dwight's NOT 100%.

Wait, I thought you said he was just going after his numbers? Didn't you disagree with me when I said Kobe was scoring so much because Nash was out, and Dwight wasn't 100%? Hmm...

And what does Kobe "doing it alone" get us? 13-14...that alone proves my point. He needs help...REAL help. Not Dwight-Lite.

Ah!

Kobe's got to use his teammates. That's something he can do.

BE
A
DECOY.

Interesting. He needs help, but he has to use his teammates? And he has to score because Dwight isn't 100%, BUT you want him to be a decoy?

In the Princeton, you gain structure...but you lose Nash being Nash. Which is more valuable? Which is more important to our offensive efficiency? Which would you rather have?

Hmm...well, doesn't seem like a simple question now, does it?

Steve Nash will be the architect of our offense. The PRINCETON is only for the rest of the team when Nash isn't available and out of bound plays (and special circumstances). I really wish people would get that thru their heads...

From the start, you wanted Nash's offense...and not just ball movement, but Nash's offense.

You want to claim that Nash could still be "Nash" in the Princeton...why even ATTEMPT that? That's the very definition of "re-inventing the wheel". COuld we force it on him? Sure...but why?

Why? Because he's 39 years old, and not the superstar of this team. And we did.

In a fun n gun type offense, a lot of the mental fatigue goes out of the window and the effort will be there on defense.

BAM. You made it pretty specific what you wanted in that post.

Clark's offense would be dependent on Pau and Nash's passing...the 7 sec creates opportunities to FINISH, not create.

And again...seven-second offense. Run and gun. Build around Nash.

AND the 7 sec offense would REST our starters for most 4th quarters...something we are going to need in a long regular season.

At that point, you were 100% supporting the seven-second offense here.

Nash is the biggest winner in all of this. He gets to play in a system that maximizes his strengths which are making his teammates better. There is absolutely no downside, as far as he's concerned. This team will play better than it has EVER played...and everybody will get shots where they will have the best chance to score.

Nash didn't even do a good job in his own offense.

If this doesn't work, it's on Nash. He's the key. He will make everything run smoothly and will make the team more efficient. EFFICIENCY is the key.

I'll correct you: it's on D'Antoni AND Nash.

I can see a lot of you have no idea what D'Antoni's offense is about...

In a nut shell, it's like rolling the Princeton and Triangle up into Steve Nash and he creates scoring opportunities. All that is required of his teammates is to be able to set good picks, catch and shoot, slash and/or dunk a basketball.

Steve Nash will simplify the game for his teammates. He will find them in position to score or make a pass that leads to the pass that gets the easy score. Nash will lengthen Kobe's career. Nash will make the game easier for Dwight. Our shooters will shoot at a higher percentage.

You guys are worrying about the post...Nash will always make the right decision. I trust Nash implicitly. Without Nash, this thing does NOT work. With Nash, there is nothing to worry about.

Dead wrong.

Anyway...yeah, it was clear you wanted the fast-paced, uptempo, seven-second offense that was ran by Steve Nash, while turning Kobe into a jumpshooter that relied HEAVILY on Steve to create his shots.

You just wanted ball movement? Nah, you wanted more than that. Every coach, every player, every fan wants ball movement. Very generic cop-out there. Question: what does every single offense in basketball history encourage? Ball movement.

Guess what? Kobe is the superstar, and Nash is going to be the guy relying on him in a much-slower offense that sticks the ball into Bryant and Dwight's hands. Why? Because that's how basketball is played. Ask Nash and MDA.

Good game.

#151 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 11:32 PM

There you effin go

https://twitter.com/...882503095042049

Suns guard Goran Dragic: "The plan was ... let Kobe pass to the corner, and if (Metta) is gonna make shots, he is gonna make shots."

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

• 40,395 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 11:34 PM

^ Can't blame them. Pretty easy strategy and I'd take my chances with it too. More teams should try that.

yo.

#153 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,694 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 11:41 PM

Many teams will do that when Dwight is out of the game. Otherwise its going to dwight or to nash.

#154 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,866 posts

Posted January 30, 2013 - 11:52 PM

Nash said after the game that more than a couple of players (and I'm pretty sure I know who he's talking about) will have to make sacrifices to make this particular offense work. I'm 100% sure he was saying that he and Kobe were the two that changed.

I want to add that Earl Clark is still doing great working in this offense (may have said that already). He didn't shoot that well tonight, but he also didn't get many opportunities with Gasol pouting his ass off.

It would be nice to see Gasol dealt. Kobe actually told him to "wake up" during the game, after Pau had 3-4 possessions where he was just horrible.

Nash hits Artest with a pass quite a bit, or the ball swings to Artest (I think Earl Clark did this 2-3 times). We have to stop doing that. Ron can't take that many shots, don't care how many he makes.

The most frustrating thing, though, is Gasol and Dwight in the P&R with Nash. It's really not even there. Every attempt is a botch, and for multiple reasons. Dwight gets crowded a lot when Kobe isn't out there, Gasol is too afraid to catch the ball at the rim, and Nash isn't a threat to pop a three if the big man isn't open.

We need to give half of Ron's threes to Nash. He's going to have to adjust quick. He made the statement that he was doing something he hasn't done in a long, long time, and he's still trying to get used to it...but we really don't have time for it. He has to start moving around and trust Kobe as a facilitator, instead of standing and waiting for Bryant to kick it out to him to reset (which isn't going to happen often).

#155 reryo

reryo

Rookie

• 1,321 posts
  • Name:Lee
  • Fan Since:2006
  • Fav. Laker:Odom

Posted January 31, 2013 - 12:06 AM

There you effin go

https://twitter.com/...882503095042049

Great strategy! So when we play Miami, lets take our chances with Lebron passing it to the corner to Battier/Miller and pray that they brick.

#156 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,694 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 01:33 AM

Nash said after the game that more than a couple of players (and I'm pretty sure I know who he's talking about) will have to make sacrifices to make this particular offense work. I'm 100% sure he was saying that he and Kobe were the two that changed.

I want to add that Earl Clark is still doing great working in this offense (may have said that already). He didn't shoot that well tonight, but he also didn't get many opportunities with Gasol pouting his ass off.

It would be nice to see Gasol dealt. Kobe actually told him to "wake up" during the game, after Pau had 3-4 possessions where he was just horrible.

Nash hits Artest with a pass quite a bit, or the ball swings to Artest (I think Earl Clark did this 2-3 times). We have to stop doing that. Ron can't take that many shots, don't care how many he makes.

The most frustrating thing, though, is Gasol and Dwight in the P&R with Nash. It's really not even there. Every attempt is a botch, and for multiple reasons. Dwight gets crowded a lot when Kobe isn't out there, Gasol is too afraid to catch the ball at the rim, and Nash isn't a threat to pop a three if the big man isn't open.

We need to give half of Ron's threes to Nash. He's going to have to adjust quick. He made the statement that he was doing something he hasn't done in a long, long time, and he's still trying to get used to it...but we really don't have time for it. He has to start moving around and trust Kobe as a facilitator, instead of standing and waiting for Bryant to kick it out to him to reset (which isn't going to happen often).

They actually talked about that in a vid I saw on youtube, it was the Thunder game and big game james pointed out how on one play metta actually pointed him in the direction to run and get open while Kobe was posting up. Turns out Westbrook had sagged and when Nash ran where Metta told him to he got the dish for the open three. It shows teammates helping him out but it also shows him adjusting to be an off ball scorer. This is actually something he should watch how Blake and Fisher have done.

Blake said that playing off ball to Kobe is second nature and he's done it his whole career. That's something Nash should look at. Nash is getting there but not quite yet. His three wasn't really falling tonight either sadly.

You'd think Gasol would have the fresh legs cause he sat the end of the Sth last night...nope..

#157 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,694 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 04:17 AM

Kobe: we need to work on our spacing.

A calm cool and collected Kobe Bryant after the game seemed completely confident in his team's ability.

Now that the Lakers have found their identity offensively it seems like the only thing left is perfecting it and this is what Kobe has been doing. In losses like this Kobe considers them learning experiences and doesn't worry about them like he did at the beginning of the season.

"When I'm out there I'm looking for things here and there in the offense we need to improve on. Right now it's spacing. We need a little more movement off the ball when I have the ball and when I am backing people down, and that is something I will talk to the guys about and we will work on. We got a couple of guys that need to move a bit more off ball when I have it and am drawing the defense."

On spot!

On what happened when Dwight went out. Kobe responded

"Beasley got to his strongside and then the defense had no support."

Talking about Gasol.

I agree with everything Kobe said. But reading through this thread and a few others and going with Kobe's comments.. I'm starting to wonder if Real Deal has been personally emailing Kobe. Timing seems too coincidental!!! Its a conspiracy I tells ya!

Edited by Majesty, January 31, 2013 - 04:18 AM.

#158 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,694 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 04:33 AM

One nore from Kobe about spacing.

Kobe: "I noticed we're a little too bunched up on the weak side when im backing guys down but we'll work on our spacing and pick them apart next time."

The reporter asked how Kobe is gonna do that.

Kobe: "we'll just work on it. You see assignments you see matchups and we work on where guys need to be. I'll tell them."

Like to hear that our spacing is the next to be worked on.

#159 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,866 posts

Posted January 31, 2013 - 05:24 AM

But reading through this thread and a few others and going with Kobe's comments.. I'm starting to wonder if Real Deal has been personally emailing Kobe. Timing seems too coincidental!!! Its a conspiracy I tells ya!

:ph34r:

#160 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted January 31, 2013 - 07:41 AM

MWP single handily lost us the game yesterday he had like 5 turnovers and missed like 8 shots in a row and Kobe kept passing him the ball

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Kobe, Lakers, Dwight, Nash, Gasol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users