#82 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,848 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 27, 2013 - 03:42 PM

Will this fatigue him more or less? We are running the floor up with the PG passing it to kobe, and kobe runs the offense. He takes less shots. Idk about the energy needed though

We haven't pushed the ball at a breakneck pace the last two games so energy shouldn't be an issue. We've slowed the game down, worked Kobe more in the post and in isolation, and we're not compromising our transition defense with long misses like before. If Kobe is playing out of the block and posting up, it doesn't take up nearly as much energy as before when we were forced to Iso him at the end of terrible possessions.

The more we slow the game down, the better it is for this team.

#83 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,273 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted January 27, 2013 - 03:46 PM

We haven't pushed the ball at a breakneck pace the last two games so energy shouldn't be an issue. We've slowed the game down, worked Kobe more in the post and in isolation, and we're not compromising our transition defense with long misses like before. If Kobe is playing out of the block and posting up, it doesn't take up nearly as much energy as before when we were forced to Iso him at the end of terrible possessions.

and we can still score 105 a game, take that D'Antoni

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#84 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,919 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 27, 2013 - 03:47 PM

Will this fatigue him more or less? We are running the floor up with the PG passing it to kobe, and kobe runs the offense. He takes less shots. Idk about the energy needed though

This is pretty much the answer.

What would help even more? If we had a PG that could play defense, so Kobe doesn't have to chase around someone like Westbrook all game long.

Although, I will put this out there...nobody in the NBA, in the last five years, has defended Westbrook better than #24.

#85 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,119 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted January 27, 2013 - 03:59 PM

if we could get an athletic Defensive PG with Kobe out their with the Second unit we could be WAY better because Steve Blake and Chris Duhon are completely useless on both ends of the floor and finding a young athletic player that plays defense could help this team immensley more than trading pau for Rudy Gay

AT THIS POINT AND TIME... If Gasol can continue to be productive off the bench.. we should look into just improving our perimeter play

since Earl Clark starting is being very useful for us...

the only players we should move is either... Duhon Blake, Morris, Meeks Jamison or MWP but everybody else should be locked in

#86 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 40,026 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 27, 2013 - 04:00 PM

Yep mwP must have read this thread as he does read these forums lol

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#87 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 04:02 PM

if we could get an athletic Defensive PG with Kobe out their with the Second unit we could be WAY better because Steve Blake and Chris Duhon are completely useless on both ends of the floor and finding a young athletic player that plays defense could help this team immensley more than trading pau for Rudy Gay

AT THIS POINT AND TIME... If Gasol can continue to be productive off the bench.. we should look into just improving our perimeter play

since Earl Clark starting is being very useful for us...

the only players we should move is either... Duhon Blake, Morris, Meeks Jamison or MWP but everybody else should be locked in

We NEED a legit back up point guard and a back up wing.

Hopefully the front office can pull something off.

#88 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,119 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 04:11 PM

We NEED a legit back up point guard and a back up wing.

Hopefully the front office can pull something off.

That's what I said

#89 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 04:13 PM

That's what I said

I know, just reinforcing your point. :laughing:

#90 Phil Jackson

Phil Jackson

Rookie

• 158 posts
  • Name:Phil Jackson

Posted January 27, 2013 - 04:23 PM

The Duhon-Meeks-Artest-Gasol-Howard lineup to start the 4th has actually been able to build leads or at least keep the game close until Kobe Bryant and Nash come back.

#91 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,119 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 04:27 PM

I know, just reinforcing your point. :laughing:

LOL okay I think we could see Mitch probably trading away one of our second round draft picks probably paired with players like Meek, Ebanks, Jamison, Morris, and Blake.... I just wonder what he's going to do

#92 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,426 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 05:01 PM

Just thinking of this but everyone remembers that Mitch & Jim gave D'Antoni the "vote of confidence" in a meeting Thursday right?

Well is it a coincidence that this team is playing essentially a different, inside out system since that meeting?

Makes me wonder if it was actually a "vote of confidence" meeting or a "adjust your system for these players or you're gone" meeting.

#93 Lord Flashheart

Lord Flashheart

I do the walk of life.

• 1,868 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted January 27, 2013 - 05:16 PM

^ That's a good assumption.
Impossible is nothing.

#94 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,328 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 05:25 PM

Just thinking of this but everyone remembers that Mitch & Jim gave D'Antoni the "vote of confidence" in a meeting Thursday right?

Well is it a coincidence that this team is playing essentially a different, inside out system since that meeting?

Makes me wonder if it was actually a "vote of confidence" meeting or a "adjust your system for these players or you're gone" meeting.

so what your saying is the jim and mitch vote of confidence is like the warning shot before the kobe death stare
Posted Image

#95 stillshining

stillshining

Rookie

• 640 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:Slava Medvedenko

Posted January 27, 2013 - 08:55 PM

This is pretty much the answer.

What would help even more? If we had a PG that could play defense, so Kobe doesn't have to chase around someone like Westbrook all game long.

Although, I will put this out there...nobody in the NBA, in the last five years, has defended Westbrook better than #24.

Haha there was a time during the game where the camera caught Kobe saying something to Westbrook and from lip reading I think he said "Nobody in the world guards you better than me", I'm not sure if anyone else caught it. As for the statement, I agree. If folks remember Westbrook ate us up in 2010 when the series was still up in the air after game 4, he averaged 21.7 points on a easy 55% from the field. The last two games when Kobe switched on him he shot a combined 11/33 and had 8 turnovers. It's pretty easy to see Westbrook lights up every Laker not named Kobe on the perimeter, he puts up superstar numbers when Kobe's not on him and has been held in check when Kobe switches. Just last year Westbrook embarassed the Lakers with 36 on the last game of March, Kobe switched on him a few weeks later and Westbrook scores 14 points on 3/22 shooting. It's not a coincidence

#96 Phil Jackson

Phil Jackson

Rookie

• 158 posts
  • Name:Phil Jackson

Posted January 27, 2013 - 09:03 PM

I noticed this too. I've been calling for them to slow the pace down and play more like the Knicks (low turn-overs, great half-court execution). They like to use Carmela as a facilitator in the post as well. I was actually saying they should have tried to feature Pau as the post guy because I never really considered using Kobe as the post guy.

Coach Nash should diagram some sets they can run using this setup or they should get some triangle sets going or something

#97 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,867 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 27, 2013 - 09:13 PM

Finally got a chance to spend an hour or 2 responding to this...I may have to break it up into a few different posts so bear with me....

Long read, hope you sit down and look it over, though. :basketball:

Well, eventually, my confidence in this team collapsed. I've been spitting the same thing about D'Antoni and Nash since September or October (mostly Nash, until D'Antoni arrived, and then I was in full panic mode). When this happens, you can always expect a write-up from me, right?

And we can also expect illogical arguments that fully display your hatred for all things D'Antoni and Nash, right? Yep...that's why this post was a waste of time and all of the people who didn't know, it was ONLY to further YOUR opinion, not be a rational analysis of the situation...

Sad that you need people to validate this diatribe...

Took me a bit, but I figured it would be great to go in and see just how each of these coaches have done. I realize the first two played just five games each, but if that bothers you, ignore that and just take a glance at D'Antoni's numbers.

Yeah because having such a small data set doesn't matter when it supports your argument but if I did the same thing with Kobe's shot selection, I will have committed heresy? Wow...double standards from the start...most people should have stopped reading right there.

------------------------------------

The team is 12-12 without Nash this season.

And HOW many of those games were with a hobbled Dwight, WITHOUT Pau, in a HOME heavy stretch...?

But that doesn't matter....just blah blah blah, Nash sucks...blah blah blah, fire D'Antoni...that's close to 50% of your argument in a nutshell. Ignore anything other than what's important which is Nash sucks and Fire D'Antoni...

Gotcha...thanks for the long write up just to reiterate your stance on those "important" points.

Our original starting five (Kobe, Howard, Nash, Gasol, Artest) is 0-5 together.

Again, ignore Brown. Ignore the Princeton (which was KOBE'S idea). Ignore Dwight fresh out of rehab...ignore everything that could explain this stat. Throw it in for dramatic effect and LOOSELY (and that's being generous) tie it in to the most important points:

Nash SUCKS
Fire Mike D'Antoni.

Stick with me because I will be able to connect most of his statements with those 2 POINTs...

Mike Brown Era (1-4, Nash for two games, both L's)
Lakers: 47.0% FG, 34.8% 3PT (18.4 3PTA/G), 66.3% FT, 44.6 RPG, 19.6 APG, 8.0 SPG, 5.0 BPG, 18.2 TO, 21.4 PF, 97.2 PPG
Opponent: 44.7% FG, 35.6% 3PT, 22.8 FTA/G, 35.4 RPG, 21.0 APG, 9.6 SPG, 5.2 BPG, 12.4 TO, 24.2 PF, 98.8 PPG

Five games into an offense that KOBE wanted and only KOBE benefited from...ok...what's your point?

Bernie Bickerstaff Era (4-1, no Nash)
Lakers: 45.6% FG, 34.2% 3PT (22.8 3PTA/G), 72.1% FT, 49.0 RPG, 23.0 APG, 7.4 SPG, 6.8 BPG, 14.8 TO, 14.2 PF, 103.8 PPG
Opponent: 42.2% FG, 33.3% 3PT, 15.6 FTA/G, 40.8 RPG, 22.2 APG, 8.8 SPG, 4.4 BPG, 13.4 TO, 22.6 PF, 92.2 PPG

Again, almost every team plays better in the short term after a coach is fired...that explains EVERYTHING in this part, NOT Nash sucks....

Mike D'Antoni Era (12-20, Nash for 16 games, 11 L's)
Lakers: 45.0% FG, 35.7% 3PT (26.2 3PTA/G), 69.8% FT, 44.3 RPG, 21.8 APG, 7.1 SPG, 5.6 BPG, 14.5 TO, 19.3 PF, 102.9 PPG
Opponent: 45.8% FG, 35.9% 3PT, 21.4 FTA/G, 44.0 RPG, 24.2 APG, 8.1 SPG, 5.2 BPG, 12.9 TO, 23.1 PF, 103.4 PPG

Again, the point here is more about Nash sucking and making this team worse than connecting any real truth...Bernie installed NO OFFENSE. He told them to go out and have fun. MDA came in and installed an offense that took the ball out of Kobe's HANDS...the rest of the team is taught to play off each other...so what's going wrong? Is it Nash?

NO. It's quite simply Kobe not buying into the offense. ISO is ANTI-MDA...ISO is ANTI-Nash. ISO is ANTI-Team.

But your suggestion is Nash and MDA is why the Lakers have struggled offensively and they are what we need to change?

No...

Nash SUCKS
Fire MDA.

I've highlighted the concerning numbers in red...all being the lowest among the three coaches.

32 games vs 10 total? Seriously? You wasted your and our time writing up an entire page to analyze that? And you think this was INTELLIGENT and logical?

You think you provided strong arguments to any points outside of Nash SUCKS and Fire MDA? LOL...no.

It's clear we are a worse defensive team with D'Antoni...by quite a bit. We allow teams to play at a faster pace, and PART of that is us launching more threes every night, and taking shots early in the clock.

Faster pace? How about TURNOVERS leading to run-outs by the other team? How about Dwight getting stripped? Kobe's bad passes? Over dribbling? Lack of offensive rebounds? Lack of transition D? Lack of consistent DEFENSIVE rebounding?

We aren't pushing the ball up the floor.
We aren't shooting early in the shot clock.
We aren't trying to play at a fast pace.

There are so many other factors that have a lot to do with EXECUTION on OFFENSE that lead to transition baskets for the other team, leading to quicker scores for the opposition, leading to more POSSESSIONS per 48 for US!!!!

But you IGNORE everything that doesn't support your FLAWED stance of: Nash SUCKS and Fire MDA...

We are a worse defensive team and that's to be expected. We lost our defensive coach (Mike Brown) and MDA didn't hire one. That's the explanation. It's not Nash. It's not MDA. We knew going in that MDA specialized in offense...now you want to blame him for not being a great defensive coach?

That's stupid. Blame the Lakers Front Office for not being proactive and finding someone to fill that role. You don't buy a Ferrari and expect to find place for a baby seat or stroller.

MDA is not nor has he ever been a great defensive coach...but that doesn't mean he actively preaches BAD defense. There is a HUGE difference. Your stance is we will never be able to play good defense with him as the Lakers head coach...not now or in the future. My stance is that's stupid. Hire a good defensive coach and we are ok.

Nash SUCKS, Fire MDA.

Our Pace Factor (number of possessions in 48 minutes) is second in the NBA, at a staggering 94.7. For a team that has four of five original starters in their thirties (Kobe, Nash, Gasol, Artest are all out of their ultimate primes), that's a super-fast pace. But what do you expect with a D'Antoni/Nash-led offense?

What do you expect with our turnover rate (11th - leading to quick scores for the other teams and more possessions for us), offensive rebounding rate (10th, increasing our number of possessions), good total rebounding rate (7th - again increasing # of possessions) with the #7 PER in the league?

Instead of giving the offensive credit, you bash it in an attempt to prove your point: Nash SUCKS, Fire MDA...but it doesn't make sense.

We are CLEARLY not trying to play like PHO. We are TRYING to share the ball. We are having to play more possession because of our DEFENSE, which again, is not bad BECAUSE of Nash or MDA...which is your point.

Well, unfortunately, when we run...the opposing team runs. That's how it goes. D'Antoni was quoted saying that the Memphis Grizzlies outran us tonight.

WRONG. The opposing teams RUN when they get STEALS or TURNOVERS...ask your boy DWIGHT. Posting him up results in as many offensive fouls, steals and turnovers as fouls on him or easy scores. And Kobe going KOBE? Who DOESN'T have a gameplan to defend that?

If we play the right way, we cut down on all of the things that are giving other teams a chance to run...that starts with taking care of the ball...and the last time I checked, Nash is the best ballhandler and passer on this team...so pushing Nash OFF the ball is actually counter-productive, no?

Do you want to know what the Grizzlies' Pace Factor is? It's 28th in the league.

------------------------------------

Just to correct you, Lakers's pace is 3 highest at 96.8 and Memphis's is 26th at 92.3...5.5 possessions less per game.

Know why? 3pt shot attempts per game.

Lakers are 3rd (25.0/g)
Memphis is 29th (13.8/g)

Does that mean we are a bad team because we shoot so many 3's? LOL...no.

1. NYK - 28.7
6. SAS - 22.5
9. MIA - 21.8

Difference? Percentage made - LAL 15th (35.3% 3pfg)

3. MIA - 38.7%
4. NYK - 38.5%
5. SAS - 38.2%

What's interesting is the pace of those 4 teams:

3. LAL - 96.8
5. SAS - 96.5
21. MIA - 93.1
24. NYK - 92.8
26. MEM - 92.3

See a pattern? The older teams have a higher pace...not just the Lakers or MDA or Nash...
1. NYK - 31.3 (because of Kidd/Thomas, both near or over 40)
2. MIA - 29.9 (because of Battier/Allen)
4. LAL - 28.9 (yes, MIA is older than the Lakers and SAS is younger than both - LOL)
8. SAS - 27.9
21. MEM - 25.3

The major difference in LAL and MEM statistically is the Lakers take almost twice as many 3's as MEM does but they shoot them at a slightly higher %. That's a part of the offense that is required for spacing that's good when we're hitting them and not so good when we aren't...but that's not something we should go away from permanently. I agree that this is a source of an increase on our pace because of the long shots leading to long rebounds but that's for ALL teams...

That's not a factor of our age nor does it indicate that we are forcing the tempo as implied and stated by you. We are NOT playing like a faster, younger team. We are taking open shots that we need to hit more of. Either that, or let Nash run the show.

But either way, it does NOT mean Nash SUCKS, Fire MDA.

It means we have to have a better shot selection. It means that we have to adjust our attack from spot up shooting to finding cutters. That only happens when we keep the ball moving and share the ball...basically, Kobe has to pass the ball to get BETTER shots for his teammates. And that's not always a simple drive and kick.

My point is pace is not as simple as "running up and down the court". Pace is influenced by many factors. This stat does NOT mean what you are implying.

Steve Nash is a major defensive liability.

On ball? Yes. He's not athletic enough to stay with players at his position but who is athletic enough to stay with Nash 1-on-1 on the other end? It ends up a wash.

As a team defender? He's pretty good...a better off-ball defender than Kobe has been all season.

Because he can't defend his man, Kobe Bryant is having to spend more energy defending PG's. That means less help defense by the best help defender on our team, other than Dwight Howard. And with less help defense comes more defensive exposing, all directed at Pau Gasol and Antawn Jamison...who are awful defenders.

All of this is false. Kobe is playing PGs on defense? Is that new? No. Name the last time we had a PG that played well defensively? Fisher routinely guarded SGs...Chucky Atkins? Harper...Blake, et cetera...

But not to you...Kobe's suffering because of Nash...

Nash SUCKS, Fire MDA.

And help defense is our problem? LIE. It's a lack of a defensive SCHEME or PLAN for the TEAM! It's not about horrible individual defenders. We are getting beat more on screens, picks, rubs, cuts...plays that use TEAMWORK and MISDIRECTION.

One or 2 good help defenders will NOT make up for a lack of TEAM defense.

MIDDLE SCHOOL and HIGH SCHOOL coaches will tell you that.

I don't know what kind of team you coached.

#98 24allday

24allday

Rookie

• 1,394 posts
  • Name:Gavin
  • Fan Since:3rd grade - first started watching and loved Kobe
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba, #STAYSWAG

Posted January 27, 2013 - 09:13 PM

We looked young wild & free the last couple games. No more Antoni ball.

#99 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,867 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 09:15 PM

Pau Gasol can't post up with Dwight? Yes he can.

He can but it's not ideal. The reason why? Pau needs space. Dwight needs speed. They won't work because Pau is a passer and Dwight is a finisher. They need to either be opposite hi-lo or free each other up with motion and screens at the elbow/high post.

You're just CLINGING to denial. Howard is NOT a back-to-the-basket go-to post guy. GET OVER IT. You can't throw the ball into the post, clear out and let Dwight go to work. Dwight needs to be fed. He HAS to be fed. His post scoring is efficient when he catches on the MOVE, not on ISO. He's NOT who you WANT him to be.

He NEVER was.
It's not likely he will EVER BE at this stage of his career.

Feed him...feed him in a much different way than Pau. That's why what you're saying makes NO SENSE.

Run a double-post motion offense.

Maximizes Pau.
Waste of time for Dwight.

Bad idea...unless you're setting a lot of big-to-big screens.

It doesn't work?

No...not the way you want to run it.

Gasol doesn't need to be two feet from the rim...he can take short jumpers off the block, or make passes out of the low post, all while Dwight maintains his position. Ah, and that gives us two offensive rebounders near the rim.

No. What it does is put 2 defenders between Pau and Dwight...and Pau's strength is his passing...and it puts 2 big defenders in the lane, cutting off all lanes directly to the rim....you want to force into more 3pt shots? You have succeeded.

We don't have shooters? We would have a lethal shooter, if Nash (who is a 50/40/90 shooter and arguably the greatest shooter we've ever seen at the PG position) would take just a few more shots a night, playing off of two superstars (Kobe and Howard). He could settle for a 5-8 assist night, correct? I'm appalled to find out that this offensive genius can't adjust accordingly.

So, instead of Kobe playing off the ball like a true SG, you want him to play on the ball, take most of the shots and Nash become Fisher?

You have typed yourself into inebriation...that or your hate for Nash has risen to new heights. One of the top 5 assist guys in the HISTORY of the NBA should play off the ball because YOU think he should?

You make this too easy.

And think that will solve our turnover problems?
Think Kobe's going to PASS the ball enough to make this matter?

You're playing yourself, Brandon...seriously. This makes no sense whatsoever.

So with two threats from outside (Nash and Artest), how does that help our pick and roll? Significantly, especially if Nash establishes himself as a shooting threat. Why? Well, why would any player, in their right mind, leave him open to follow Howard to the rim?

So instead of the SHOOTING GUARD becoming the off-ball SHOOTING THREAT, you want the POINT GUARD and FLOOR GENERAL to become the SHOOTING threat? LOL...

And the problem with the P&R isn't the threats from 3 (or lack thereof)...it's Dwight SLIPPING screens too often not giving the guard room or time to find him on the roll.

And that's not even hard to see...but for you, it's NASH not being the SHOOTING threat?

One of the best P&R PGs in the HISTORY of the NBA?

Nash SUCKS, Fire MDA...

Why would any player leave Howard for a split second? Confusion is best generated by two scoring threats in that particular P&R situation.

Because they are sending HELP. They are sending a smaller player to bump Howard before he can take off, negating his athleticism. They are TRAPPING Nash/Kobe after the PICK to take away the passing lanes or make the pass MUCH harder than it would be if Dwight took out the guard and let Nash take on the Big.

Basketball 101, buddy...OR

Nash SUCKS, Fire MDA...gotcha.

If Nash doesn't solidify himself as a threat, it's an easier decision for the opponent.

See Above. Nash SUCKS, Fire MDA. Don't do what makes sense. Do what BRANDON says to because Nash SUCKS, Fire MDA.

Where can Kobe play once one of our bigs take a seat? In the post.

LOL...he plays where-ever he wants regardless of who's on the court...but guess what? The OFFENSE is not designed to accommodate a Kobe POST UP...guess what? It's an equal opportunity offense...

But to you, that's stupid. Kobe-Ball FTW!!!!!

Let's get real. If you cared about the Lakers, you'd want what's best for the Lakers, regardless if it's best for Kobe.

And no, not everything that's best for Kobe is best for the Lakers.

It's ok if they pass the ball. It's ok if Dwight scores more than Kobe. It's ok if the Lakers don't have a 20ppg scorer on the team. It's ok if Kobe doesn't shoot 20 or more shots per game. It's all about the WIN.

Run the offense. Trust the offense...but wait:

Nash SUCKS, Fire MDA...how could I forget that! I so dumb.

Can't do that in a D'Antoni offense, though, because he's not a ball-handler UNLESS he's in ISO on the perimeter.

WRONG. Can't do that in the MDA Offense because the offense is a FREE-Flowing, EQUAL Opportunity offense. It's about keeping the ball moving and getting EASY scores, not post-ups.

It's about motion.
It's about sharing and teamwork.

But I'm not sure that's the best thing for KOBE...therefore, you're AGAINST it.

Kobe=good. Anything that doesn't glorify Kobe=BAD. Gotcha.

Nash SUCKS, Fire MDA.

Meanwhile, what is Nash doing when Kobe engages? Nothing. He doesn't cut to and through to the corner, he doesn't use a screen, he doesn't curl...so we basically play one half of the court, and weak side play ceases to exist (Kobe's perspective).

Are you TRYING to be obtuse? Kobe waves EVERYONE away when he goes ISO. He doesn't want anyone over there unless he calls for a screen. What do you want them to do? Read Kobe's mind? If Nash isn't doing anything, it's NOT in the offense.

DUH!!!!

Kobe's not playing within the system! DUH, DUH!!

And Nash knows the offense 1,000,000x better than KOBE!

You're TRYING to prove my points, aren't you?

Kobe ISO is bad for the offense. How much PLAINER can I make that for you?

And a correction: Nash is one of the ONLY players setting OFF-BALL Screens. He's the only one making the right reads to free teammates up OFF THE BALL. So remember that when you say "Nash isn't doing anything...", especially in reference to the offensive end.

We go without multiple shooting threats, we lose spacing.

Kobe/MWP/Meeks/Jamison...and we are DOOMED because we don't have NASH as a shooting threat? EXAGGERATE Much?

Nash SUCKS, Fire MDA.

Starting to get it now...you have almost convinced me.

We lose spacing, our two superstars are much, much easier to defend.

We don't need 2 Superstars in this offense. Yet you are being intentionally ignorant of this. The offense isn't about scoring threats and go-to-guys. It's about moving the ball and using passes to get good shots, not 1-on-1 play, which is implied in your "Superstar" statements. We don't need to have a 2 man game with Kobe/Dwight.

We need the TEAM (Kobe) to buy into the offense. We need to SHARE the ball! We need to play TOGETHER. Nash and Dwight believe in that. Kobe has conditioned Pau into believing the opposite.

With Phil, we could get away with that. With MDA, Nash and Dwight, not even close.

This team will be BETTER if we play together...it's just that simple...unless you think your propaganda makes any difference to the Lakers Brass (heads up: it doesn't)

Howard becomes easier to front in the post with multiple players...not so hard to slide 5-10 feet over and cover him with backside help.

Dwight shouldn't be a post up option in the paint. He should be in constant motion. Why? That's what the offense requires AND that's how he's been successful his entire CAREER...but you think he should SUDDENLY become Shaq? REALly?

Kobe has a man on him AND one within two steps of a charge. In pick and roll, the opposing team can come out and push Nash 30 feet from the rim, simply because Dwight Howard is not a shooting threat, Nash doesn't establish himself as one, and Gasol is too slow to roll to the rim, as well as him being passive and choosing not to score.

That's the worst statement I've ever seen you post.

Kobe has a man on him AND one within 2 steps of a charge...why? Because they KNOW he's going to SHOOT IT!!! Why play your man if you thought for a SECOND Kobe's going to pass it? Is it because Nash isn't a good 3pt shooter? NO.

How about Dwight being a poor finisher? Absolutely NOT.

Gasol? He's the only one you're right about...why? Because Pau has become accustomed to Kobe NOT passing the ball to him unless KOBE gets into trouble...or just can't get a shot off...which isn't often (the shot part, he gets into trouble every time he goes ISO).

You think it's everyone else and not KOBE?

LOL...Nash SUCKS, Fire MDA. FTW!!!!!

#100 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,867 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 09:15 PM

The result? Ron Artest becomes our secondary scoring option...and to no one's surprise (maybe), he's shooting threes, not in the post.

LOL...there should be NO scoring options within this offense. Every player on the court should have an equal opportunity to score on any given possession.

That's the most important principle of the MDA offense...one that doesn't GLORIFY Kobe...SHOCKER that you're against it.

Nash SUCKS, Fire MDA...crystal clear now.

Kobe is strictly in ISO most of the game, once the ball comes to him.

First COMPLETELY true statement I've encountered...and guess how often he's supposed to be in ISO? 0%. WHY? That's the OFFENSE!!!

Nash SUCKS, Fire MDA.

Dwight is being fronted, and because he has lost a bit of jumping ability, and because the spacing is horrible, he can't get the ball over the top.

WRONG. Howard is fronted because he's getting poor position and he's standing still. You CAN'T pass over the top in a DOUBLE POST offense because the HELP is RIGHT BEHIND DWIGHT!!!!! Remember? Pau's man?

You make the pass to the wing, they front Dwight, you immediately pass to the CORNER and throw the PASS from there!!!!!! All he has to do is SEAL his man to receive the pass while NEGATING the help guy.

But you're going to ignore that, right. Because it's basketball 101 and requires Kobe passing the BALL. And doesn't help your "Nash SUCKS, Fire MDA" mantra...

Once that ball reaches its peak elevation, and headed towards Dwight's fingertips, the opposing defenders are taught to lead him close to the baseline OR pack around him in the paint, then go "hands out" to cause the strip and prevent him from bringing the ball over his head.

And that's DWIGHT's fault, not a lack of scoring threats. It doesn't matter if Dwight is fronted or not. If the ball is on the strong side of the floor, the perimeter defender is playing 1-pass-away. It gives him time to converge on Dwight if Dwight puts it on the floor or brings the ball down at ALL. It's got NOTHING to do with Nash not becoming a scoring threat.

All you're doing is reiterating MY points. Dwight is NOT good as a go-to post guy. He's a finisher. He needs to be fed and he needs to keep moving. Doing that will put him in position to score without putting the ball on the floor too much and will prevent strips/turnovers from doubles or help. He needs to score quickly.

What does getting Dwight easy shots do for the offense? It makes the help D and shotblocking a step slower because they are afraid of leaving Dwight's body to help on penetration. What does that do for the 3pt shooting? DECREASES the number of long shots we take because there is LESS opposition right at the rim. What does that do for Kobe/Nash? Makes them more efficient because both will have a lot easier time penetrating the defense. It also opens passing lanes. That makes cutting and slashing more of an option. It makes post passing easier. It makes Pau more aggressive off the bounce because he only has to beat 1 guy.

When Dwight's man is allowed to roam, that closes down the lane and makes penetrating the D harder.

Feed Dwight and it makes everything else work for the offense. Force him to play with his back to the basket and you make it easier to guard him and everyone else.

We are scoring buckets on the offensive end, and our Offensive Rating is in the top 10. That doesn't mean we're a good offensive team, it means we're relying on Kobe far too much.

FALSE. It means we have a LOT offensive talent that can score 1-on-1 even if they AREN'T playing well as a team.

It means Kobe is playing too much Kobe ball and is IGNORING the vision of the coach/offense. He's doing something that he shouldn't do.

He always asks for help. He claims he doesn't want to do all of the heavy lifting...guess what? You've got PLENtY of help buddy and what are you doing?

Same S---, Different Season...

Use the help as they are MEANT to be used. FOLLOW THE COACH! TRUST the OFFENSE. Play WITH your teammates. You'd think I was preaching "Kobe needs to shoot more"...but I'm the one who doesn't get it? LOL...

Nash SUCKS, Fire MDA....

Bryant should not have to play 40 minutes, score 30 points, and throw 5-6 assists for us to be within reach in some of these games.

He wouldn't if he PASSED the ball more. This team has plenty of scoring options. Use them and Kobe doesn't have to work as hard. It's not that hard.

Our offense is not good if Ron Artest is our second scoring option, and he is shooting more shots per game (11.1) than Dwight (10.3) and Nash (8.3), and as many as Gasol (11.3). Yes, no joke...this is happening.

He's not...nor is he supposed to be. The offense is EQUAL OPPORTUNITY. Please realize that before you post again. It will save a LOT of space. It doesn't matter who shoots the most. And BTW, MWP is the reason we are shooting so many 3's...is that GOOD?

I think we've covered that.

And MWP is NOT our 2nd scoring option. He is taking the 2nd most SHOTS because he's open, it's in the offense and he doesn't wait for Kobe to pass it back to him. He's the other guy who doesn't really "get" the offense. Hint, hint.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Kobe, Lakers, Dwight, Nash, Gasol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users