Photo

Woj article: "Forget Kobe vs. Dwight, the Lakers will pay for doubling down on failed D'Antoni-Nash reunion"

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,035 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 24, 2013 - 01:28 PM

This is exactly what I've been trying to say. D'Antoni is too stubborn and is forcing this system on a team that just isn't made for it. The offense needs to allow Dwight to post up and facilitate and let Kobe do what he does best, using Nash to space the floor, instead of the other way around.

#42 integrate0

integrate0

Rookie

• 73 posts
  • Name:j
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:magic

Posted January 24, 2013 - 02:21 PM

You also think ebanks should play

Over Jamison, I wouldn't mind it, AT ALL.

#43 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,044 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 24, 2013 - 03:13 PM

I don't see the Lakers firing D'Antoni. They committed to him for 4 years, and they're still paying Mike Brown.

Dwight making clear that he wants D'Antoni fired would actually help here. If they think there's any hope Dwight will re-sign while he's still here, they won't do it.

Posted Image

#44 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 03:17 PM

I don't see the Lakers firing D'Antoni. They committed to him for 4 years, and they're still paying Mike Brown.

Dwight making clear that he wants D'Antoni fired would actually help here. If they think there's any hope Dwight will re-sign while he's still here, they won't do it.

Actually D'Antoni only has a three year deal.

But regardless, I think there's a good chance D'Antoni is given the boot despite the money. The money that Howard would generate as the franchise player is a significant difference then what they be paying their crap coaches.

We'll see though. I can't tell what direction the front office is going at this point

#45 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,757 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted January 24, 2013 - 03:18 PM

Dwight's views on yet another coach ... classic.

#46 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,082 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted January 24, 2013 - 03:19 PM

I can't tell what direction the front office is going at this point

Pau Gasol is GONE

#47 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,044 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 03:21 PM

Actually D'Antoni only has a three year deal.

But regardless, I think there's a good chance D'Antoni is given the boot despite the money. The money that Howard would generate as the franchise player is a significant difference then what they be paying their crap coaches.

We'll see though. I can't tell what direction the front office is going at this point

They're also still paying Mike Brown though. I think it would be tough on them to fire another coach so soon.

Dwight needs to make it clear that it's either him or D'Antoni if that's the case. That's the only way that it may be possible for him to get fired so soon.

Posted Image

#48 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,797 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted January 24, 2013 - 03:30 PM

They're also still paying Mike Brown though. I think it would be tough on them to fire another coach so soon.

Dwight needs to make it clear that it's either him or D'Antoni if that's the case. That's the only way that it may be possible for him to get fired so soon.

The blow financially is nothing compared to the blow to their ego. Tried to get away from Phil and the success that came with his system and it completely blew up in their faces. If the front office is serious about righting this ship, they've got to take drastic measures. Fire another bad hiring? Tough luck. Make a better decision next time.

#49 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,923 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted January 24, 2013 - 03:36 PM

At this point, unless you think the playoffs are salvageable, you probably don't fire MDA until the off - season, even if you don't expect to bring him back next year.

With the Lakers out of the play-offs, they will need something big for media attention. Firing MDA will buy them some solid media time, when there is really no reason to be talking about the Lakers anymore.

If you are gonna blow another $12 million, you have to time it right.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#50 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 03:37 PM

RT @KevinDing: Lots of speculation, but I am told today the Lakers are not considering a buyout or firing of Mike D'Antoni as head coach.

Well [expletive]

#51 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,044 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 03:59 PM

The blow financially is nothing compared to the blow to their ego. Tried to get away from Phil and the success that came with his system and it completely blew up in their faces. If the front office is serious about righting this ship, they've got to take drastic measures. Fire another bad hiring? Tough luck. Make a better decision next time.

I'm with you. I think their ego will ultimately win out and they'll keep him though. I've lost a lot of faith in the front office.

Posted Image

• 40,395 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 04:34 PM

Remove D'Antoni and ride the rest of the season out with Bickerstaff.

This has been mentioned countless times already by many and will continue to, but ultimately at the end of the day, it's just a matter of how damn stubborn the FO is to admit this their mistake and eventually make that change.

Well [expletive]

Yeah. No fixing anytime soon then. What a message.

Edited by    , January 24, 2013 - 04:35 PM.

yo.

#53 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,757 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted January 24, 2013 - 04:50 PM

i cant believe that it may come down to a Dwight or MDA scenario. The choice is easy but letting Dwight force the decision sucks. I am realy not sold on this guy as a franchise player in many regards. I view Kobe as a great player but lousy leader. Dwight is starting to look like just an ok player and lousy leader.

#54 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Kara no Kyoukai

• 8,464 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 04:58 PM

Well [expletive]

Ain't that a peach?

MMiRi9s.png

#55 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,035 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted January 24, 2013 - 05:03 PM

Well [expletive]

Pretty sure the same stuff was said around the time of the Mike Brown firing. Not with as much conviction but it was still rather sudden.

Either way, I predict they just let MDA finish out the season. If we make the playoffs, great, maybe he even stays if the Lakers somehow get their [expletive] together and hires a defensive coordinator during the offseason. If not, he's gone over the summer to appease Dwight, and the Lakers start looking elsewhere for coaching help.

#56 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,082 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted January 24, 2013 - 05:16 PM

i hope we have a players mutiny against Mike D'Antoni.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#57 Rad

Rad

• 1,628 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 05:22 PM

This has been mentioned countless times already by many and will continue to, but ultimately at the end of the day, it's just a matter of how damn stubborn the FO is to admit this their mistake and eventually make that change.Yeah. No fixing anytime soon then. What a message.

True. We already look inept and incompetent. How much worse can it possibly get?

#58 evil Monkey

evil Monkey

Rookie

• 418 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted January 24, 2013 - 08:01 PM

"At this point, unless you think the playoffs are salvageable, you probably don't fire MDA until the off - season, even if you don't expect to bring him back next year.

With the Lakers out of the play-offs, they will need something big for media attention. Firing MDA will buy them some solid media time, when there is really no reason to be talking about the Lakers anymore.

If you are gonna blow another $12 million, you have to time it right." - UKUGA

this.

Edited by evil Monkey, January 24, 2013 - 08:01 PM.

Posted Image

L.E.G.I.T.

#59 MidnightMarauder

MidnightMarauder

Off The Bench

• 1,479 posts
  • Name:Michael
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Lamar, Worthy, Magic

Posted January 25, 2013 - 12:00 AM

Pretty sure the same stuff was said around the time of the Mike Brown firing. Not with as much conviction but it was still rather sudden.

Either way, I predict they just let MDA finish out the season. If we make the playoffs, great, maybe he even stays if the Lakers somehow get their [expletive] together and hires a defensive coordinator during the offseason. If not, he's gone over the summer to appease Dwight, and the Lakers start looking elsewhere for coaching help.

He's not gonna hire a Defensive assistant. The moron said no to freaking Tom Thibodeau when PHX management wanted him to hire someone to help him with defense.

#60 Anautikus

Anautikus

#DominateLA

• 688 posts
  • Fan Since:All Star Weekend '98
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Pau, the Candyman

Posted January 25, 2013 - 12:04 AM

#SetBickerstaffFree

#DominateInjuries

#DominateHashtags

#DominateDominating

#KobeSystem