30 replies to this topic

#1 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,875 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted January 23, 2013 - 11:55 AM

Chris Paul is the best point guard in the game.

But living in LA, Clippers fans and the LA media have elevated this guy to BEST little guard EVER status so I have to dissect his game a bit.

But I think he gets too much credit for his team's successes and not enough blame for his team's failures.

First of all look at how the Clippers without Chris Paul are built like the Nuggets but with Blake Griffin. And even though Blake Griffin's game has suffered with Chris Paul by his side to some degree, he has a Top 10-12 IMPACT on the floor, just because of his athletic ability and strength.

When CP3 fought the Lakers in the 2011 playoffs, it was talked about how he dragged that team to the playoffs.

As if David West isn't a Top 5 PF TODAY without them, now I know he was injured IN the playoffs, but he got them there.

Carl Landry outperformed Pau in that series and Kobe tweaked his FOOT, and was FAR from 100% and his overall impact on that series was STILL greater than CP3's.

They talk about how he elevates his players but again. I watched Blake Griffin closely that first year and he was DAMN near the best PF that season. And because Chris is a BALL dominant guard, Blake is not able to LEARN ion the fly the way he was able to when it was HIS team. But that is a moot point to some degree.

Let's look at what players had their best years with Kobe.
Shaq,Pau,Bynum,Odom,Fisher,Fox,Ariza,Farmar,Vujacic,Kwame,Luke,Smush, etc

I would love to see someone make a list like that for Chris Paul or dispute my claims

And that being said, he is having a great season but not doing what Durant in particular is doing.

I honestly think this is more about the point guard MYTH of elevating teammates. I mean Amare had a GREAT run with the Knicks pre-Anthony with 8 straight 30 point games all wins, I think. But people tried to make it seem as though Steve Nash created Amare( his injuries are another story)

I think all GREAT players, to some extent or another, create easy opportunities for the players around them and recently they have been fawning over points guards like Chris Paul, but if we swapped out Westbrook with CP3 would the OKC Thunder be undefeated ? And would the Clippers be struggling to Top the Pacific? I say no.

So is Chris Paul better than Isiah who won 2, I say NO. is he better than Iverson who took a team to the Finals? I say no. Is he a better point guard than Kidd...He isn't in those conversation quite yet. All those guys elevated some teams without much offensive talent, and was the TRUE offensive catalyst on virtually EVERY PLAY.

And NEVER put him in the Kobe discussion. He might be in the same room, but Kobe sits in a much more exclusive section.

#2 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,096 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 23, 2013 - 01:41 PM

Wtf

Pau Gasol is GONE

#3 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,394 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 23, 2013 - 01:55 PM

He's in the discussion.

• 40,400 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 02:09 PM

^ Like I said earlier in another thread, as an overall pure team leader, he is arguably better than Kobe and it makes sense as naturally so being the franchise player that he is AND point guard (more importantly and also of course the most influential position of power as far as leading a team).

yo.

#5 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,209 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted January 23, 2013 - 02:27 PM

^ Like I said earlier in another thread, as an overall pure team leader, he is arguably better than Kobe and it makes sense as naturally so being the franchise player that he is AND point guard (more importantly and also of course the most influential position of power as far as leading a team).

Arguably better than Kobe at being a leader? He is better.

• 40,400 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 02:43 PM

^Trust me, as clear as it may sound to you, there's always some people out there who can disagree, wrong or right, that's why I put the arguably cause it's true.

yo.

#7 ace™

ace™

Most Interesting

• 10,144 posts
  • Name:Ray Donovan
  • Fan Since:1997

Posted January 23, 2013 - 03:11 PM

I think he's the best PG right now, and has been for a couple seasons now.

• 40,400 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 03:18 PM

Any PG out there who has more killer instinct and more clutch than CP3?

yo.

#9 ace™

ace™

Most Interesting

• 10,144 posts
  • Name:Ray Donovan
  • Fan Since:1997

Posted January 23, 2013 - 05:12 PM

None that I can think of.

#10 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,721 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted January 23, 2013 - 08:38 PM

Rose but we will see how well he is when he comes back.

#11 Drazard

Drazard

The Death Bringer

• 1,753 posts
  • Name:Drazard

Posted January 23, 2013 - 09:14 PM

atleast I didn't read it all :laughing:

33bkfif.jpg

#12 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,394 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 09:21 PM

Rose but we will see how well he is when he comes back.

Rose DOES NOT have more killer instinct than Chris Paul.

#13 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,721 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted January 23, 2013 - 09:24 PM

I guess he got that MVP for nothing

#14 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,394 posts

Posted January 23, 2013 - 09:45 PM

I guess he got that MVP for nothing

Did I miss something where winning MVP means you have a killer instinct?

Steve Nash has two MVP awards to Kobe's one, I guess that means Nash has more of a killer instinct over Kobe?

I'm NOT SAYING that Rose doesn't have a killer instinct, what I am saying is he doesn't have more of one than Chris Paul. CP3 has a killer instinct that is second to only Kobe Bryant, maybe even more.

#15 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,868 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 23, 2013 - 11:48 PM

but if we swapped out Westbrook with CP3 would the OKC Thunder be undefeated ?

No team is going to be undefeated, but they would be strong, strong contenders for a 65-win season and heavy favorites for the championship.

Westbrick is more of a roadblock than people think. His poor decision-making, poor shooting, and inconsistent defense hurts the team as much as it helps. You replace him with CP3 OR Rondo, and suddenly, you have a team who distributes the ball better than most + the best scorer in the league + incredible defense. That = championships.

#16 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,875 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 11:43 PM

#17 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,875 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 11:48 PM

No team is going to be undefeated, but they would be strong, strong contenders for a 65-win season and heavy favorites for the championship.

Westbrick is more of a roadblock than people think. His poor decision-making, poor shooting, and inconsistent defense hurts the team as much as it helps. You replace him with CP3 OR Rondo, and suddenly, you have a team who distributes the ball better than most + the best scorer in the league + incredible defense. That = championships.

How many more points can KD score? I mean I think the way the team is constructed, Ibaka and Perkins can't give you 30 between them. Thabo isn't a guy who can put up more than 10-11. I guess you can have Martin scoring more, but I'm not sure that Westbrook isn't getting short-changed because of his questionable shot selection.

For some reason, I see a lot of Kobe in him and Kyrie.

WB is like the cocky , brash , athletic side of a young 8, and Kyrie is the polished, poised, and skilled side of a young Kobe. But to me, those are the two most special players after the Durant and Rose level youngsters.

I like CP3 a lot, but as I said, who has really played "better" under his leadership?

#18 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,132 posts

Posted January 25, 2013 - 11:10 AM

I think Derrick rose is a better player when healthy, but killer instinct goes

Kobe
Durant
Paul
Dirk

Paul though I hate him is a fiesty little F'er

But Derrick at full health (if he ever gets there) is a transcendent player. A guy who is a future champion, a guy who is special.

Paul is great and special, but rose to me is in the Lebron James, Kobe Bryant mold of special.

Having said that noone in the NBA, and I mean noone dominates the half court set as a distributor/scorer like Paul. Not Lebron, Durant, or Kobe

Paul is the best half court player
Posted Image

#19 BlueJab23

BlueJab23

Rookie

• 472 posts
  • Fan Since:Not a Fan
  • Fav. Laker:Not a Fan

Posted January 26, 2013 - 11:07 PM

Lol. This thread obviously failed. Clippers are on a losing streak without chris paul.

Good thing you're not an analysts.

#20 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,118 posts

Posted January 27, 2013 - 02:39 AM

Top 5 PGs currently:

1. Chris Paul
2. Rajon Rondo
3. Russell Westbrook
4. Kyrie Irving
5. Deron Williams

Rose had the potential to fight Paul for #1 title, who knows how he will be after he returns. Also I agree that if you swap Westbrook with Paul or Rondo, Thunder becomes very dangerous. They have the most consistent scorer in the league, good role players in Ibaka and K-Mart, you would think that they would be unbeatable with a PG of Westbrook's reputation, but they are not for obvious reasons. Decision making is the the most important attribute - not athleticism - for PGs that's often overlooked. With incompetent Scott Brooks coaching that team you would want a guy self-concious of what he's doing on offensive end, and Rondo/Paul fits the bill.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users