63 replies to this topic

#21 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,869 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted January 24, 2013 - 09:06 AM

Well...I said bring Kobe off the bench NOT BENCH Kobe.

There is a HUGE difference.

I mean was Vinny Johnson "benched" , do you guys even know who that is?

Was Ginobli benched when he was the catalyst for San Antonio being championship level?

No, Pop knew that Parker and Duncan can create for everyone else and Manu is a offense creator who did not benefit the way others did, by being on the floor.

Nash doesn't really attack in a manner that gets KObe easy shots.

But I also said, you can start Kobe and Dwight and have Nash and Pau come off the bench...

We've seen the starters be competitive when Pau and Nash were out, so you throw in Jamison and Duhon and Metta and we will hang.

Nash needs to be on a minute restriction anyway, and Kobe can get more rest if you don't have him finish quarters, only halfs.

#22 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,093 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 24, 2013 - 09:09 AM

what the [expletive] is wrong with some people???

Edited by Windu, January 24, 2013 - 09:10 AM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#23 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,869 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 09:10 AM

So you want us to bench Kobe. And have 0 people that can create their own shot start.Got it.

They can create for each other. Nash couldn't create for himself the last few years and he didn't play with a guy who could since Joe Johnson.

But I don't care if Nash or Kobe starts, I just want them out there at different times.

A lot of you guys want to criticize, but have no vision on how to help the lakers grow. you also have ZERO perspective on how to keep Laker Pride.

It's EASY to cheer for the Lakers when we are winning titles or when KObe was the Beast Player on the Planet, but NOW...Jim Buss and Mike D and Pau and Nash and Dwight all SUCk, because some people are afraid to criticize KOBE.

Then you have the Kobe haters who blame this entire season on him, who still claims he is selfish and all this other nonsense.

Everyone has to improve in some form or fashion to turn this around.

#24 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,868 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted January 24, 2013 - 09:10 AM

Kobe would leave LA if D'Antoni (or any coach here) made the decision to bring him off the bench. And being one of two superstars here, you don't bench him.

If you want to bring two starters off the bench, you select Gasol and Ron. That does two things:

1) Helps keep Howard and Gasol off the floor together (limits the amount we'll see the duo)
2) Limits Ron Artest's shot attempts

#25 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,869 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 09:14 AM

I think Kobe is more mature than people give him credit for.

Firstly, Windu, I'm not suggesting KOBE is the problem. Not close.

What I'm saying is Nash and Kobe on the floor doesn't help us the way ONE of them coming off the bench.

Kobe makes a little more sense because , Kobe would make Jamal Crawford ashamed the way he would come off the bench gunning, plus it HELPS his LEADERSHIP legacy. And I have seen Scoring Guards have success of the bench.

But If you start Kobe, Dwight, Jamison, Clark and Morris.. I think they can hold it down.

But I don't want Nash and Kobe to be on the floor together, nor do I want Pau and Dwight on the floor for long stretches of time.

#26 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,093 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 09:17 AM

CRAZY or Brilliant or a good idea?

Pau Gasol is GONE

#27 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,869 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 09:19 AM

True, it won't happen. People so scared of Kobe, that they don't want the perception of him getting downgraded.

So playing Nash and Kobe at the same time seems to be the best option to you Windu?

#28 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,093 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 09:20 AM

Novel idea to play a PG and a SG together, huh?

Pau Gasol is GONE

#29 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,869 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 09:24 AM

Novel idea to play a PG and a SG together, huh?

I wonder why a team MUCh deeper than ours, has Crawford off the bench for WILLIE GREEN?

Because Crawford doesn't need Chris Paul.

Manu comes of the bench because he doesn't NEEd Tony Parker like Kawhi Leonard or Splitter does.

So I understand why you're confused, but your sarcasm is not justified.

#30 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,468 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted January 24, 2013 - 09:28 AM

I wonder why a team MUCh deeper than ours, has Crawford off the bench for WILLIE GREEN?

Because Crawford doesn't need Chris Paul.

Manu comes of the bench because he doesn't NEEd Tony Parker like Kawhi Leonard or Splitter does.

So I understand why you're confused, but your sarcasm is not justified.

None of those guys are putting up 30 points a game. None of those guys are top 5 players.

You don't bring Kobe off the bench. Stupidest thing I've heard after we should trade Kobe

#31 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,869 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 09:42 AM

I think Manu was a Top 5 player when they started doing that.

And Kobe is Top 5, but the tEAM is not playing well together.

KObe is probably Third Best Player right now, but that doesn't matter.

We need to have every 5 man unit playing good ball to win games and right now, Nash and Kobe don't gel.

Bring Nash off the bench, all you Kobe fan-boys, getting offended when this record should be the most offensive thing, I don't care, I just don't think they should play many minutes togther

#32 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,868 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 09:46 AM

Bring Nash off the bench, all you Kobe fan-boys, getting offended when this record should be the most offensive thing, I don't care, I just don't think they should play many minutes togther

Basically everyone but you is a "Kobe fanboy" then, because you're the only one I know that thinks you should bring a top three player in the NBA off the bench. It has never been done before...not one time in league history a player, #1 at his position, has come off the bench...and you suggest we do that because we're a bad team?

He is our best perimeter defensive player. He defends Nash's assignments. Do you suggest that Jodie Meeks does this? That's laughable.

He is our #1 scoring option. Bring him off the bench?

The resolution: Nash starts to play off of the two superstars he's being teamed with. Simple as that.

#33 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,468 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted January 24, 2013 - 09:59 AM

I think Manu was a Top 5 player when they started doing that.

And Kobe is Top 5, but the tEAM is not playing well together.

KObe is probably Third Best Player right now, but that doesn't matter.

We need to have every 5 man unit playing good ball to win games and right now, Nash and Kobe don't gel.

No....we just understand that you don't make your best player come off the bench and that if you bring Kobe off the bench you better be ready for something much worse than his "death stare".

#34 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,869 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 10:05 AM

Again, just the fact that EVERYONE ignores that it's not as much about Kobe off the bench as it is, Nash and Kobe not starting together.

Every post I mentioned that Nash could be the one that comes off the bench. But because the suggestion for Kobe to come off bench, everyone wants to make a hige deal about it.

Again, I only said Kobe because there have been a history of SGs coming off the bench on great teams to great success.

Vinny for the Pistons, Manu for the Spurs, Terry for the Mavs.

But I don't really care who starts, we know Kobe and Nash HAVER to finish.

I rather have Kobe and dwight start anyway, but Pau and Nash aren't assertive , so I just said maybe Kobe is a better option to light it up off the bench.

PS Kobe would average 27 or more off the bench, because he would still play 35 minutes( which should be his limit anyway)

But THE bottom line is

Kobe and Nash separate minutes

Dwight and Pau separate minutes AND

Earl Clark off the bench

#35 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,563 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted January 24, 2013 - 10:09 AM

Phrase it however you want to, benching Kobe or bringing him off the bench, whatever, it's a BAD idea. You don't put your best players with the 2nd unit just to add the illusion of depth, that's not how it works.
Nobody's best player is their six man. If the Heat brought Lebron in with the 2nd unit instead of starting him, that wouldn't suddenly give them front court depth. It's still the same personnel

#36 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,869 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 10:13 AM

Lol, okay dude. I see you are stuck on ONE thing once again.

It's all good

#37 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,786 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted January 24, 2013 - 10:20 AM

This situation is so screwed up, I think almost any idea, however far out there, is worht discussing. However, bringing Konbe off the bench just turns 10 point losses into 20 point losses.

#38 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,868 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 10:22 AM

Vinny for the Pistons, Manu for the Spurs, Terry for the Mavs.

None of those could hold Kobe's jock...not even today's Kobe, and ANY of those three in their primes.

Doesn't matter the minutes. Kobe becoming a sixth man, even at 35 minutes a night, is a slap in the face to the one man this team can't afford to lose...the one guy that actually wants to win every single game he plays.

I gave you major reasons why you shouldn't. Nash is a pathetic defensive player. Kobe is the #1 scorer on this team, and without him, defenses would have it far too easy.

No logic in this: bring Kobe off the bench with our worst players, so he's super-easy to defend (just double him, and force a bench player to beat us)...while our starting five becomes easier to defend BECAUSE Kobe isn't out there as much with them.

Doesn't matter what reason...Kobe is a starter. Steve Nash needs Kobe FAR more than he needs Nash.

Like I said...find me a player that was/is #1 at their position...that came off the bench for more than just a game or two (which is usually for injury purposes). In NBA history. Microwave and Jet aren't even CLOSE to that caliber, and Ginobili was, at best, a #3 player...who was brought off the bench so the Spurs could have a defensive stopper in their lineup (like the Thunder did with Harden, and now Martin...both being #3's on that team).

#39 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,118 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 10:29 AM

brain pussification.... all I'm gonna say.

#40 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,563 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted January 24, 2013 - 10:39 AM

You're the one who is stuck on this idea sir. Just accept that the large majority of people here said "crazy" over "good". It doesn't matter how much you push for us to think it's a good idea, you're beating a dead horse. You suggested bringing arguably the 4th best player in the league off the bench, that's nuts. Kobe is NOT Manu, he's NOT K-Mart, he's NOT Terry. Those guys are good players, but they're role players. Kobe is our best player, and he would be the best player on 26 other teams who would be out of their minds to not start him.

It doesn't matter how you flip it, let's say you go the other way and bench Nash. It still doesn't fix anything, now we have a garbage starting PG and a good backup. The only positional players that need to be separate are the forwards with limited range and the centers. Pau and Dwight shouldn't play together all the time, nor should Pau and Sacre, etc. It kills the spacing. There's nothing wrong with Nash and Kobe starting, there's something wrong with D'Antoni, Pau, Dwight, and our lack of athleticism.

It's a creative idea, but no, it wouldn't fix anything. It would get you fired for trying it, that's about all you would accomplish.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users