Shelbourne: Lakers May Consider Trading Dwight Howard Before Deadline

• Please log in to reply
181 replies to this topic

#161 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,098 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 04:46 PM

I think Dwight will most likely stay too. Atlanta and Houston have young talent on their rosters, but I don't think that's enough of a supporting cast for Dwight to win a championship with. And, they've never been mentioned as places Dwight has been interested in.

I've always been shocked that Dallas was one of the places he requested. They really only have Dirk. Mayo is a good player, but I don't think he's somebody that would attract a superstar.

houston can't sign him, too much money tied up, and atlanta, well atlanta has youth but it's all in the front court as teague is merely decent.

dirk is pretty much done, it's sad but his legs are shot. i'm glad he got a title in 2011 because had he not, he wouldn't be winning one
Posted Image

#162 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,044 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 02, 2013 - 07:59 PM

houston can't sign him, too much money tied up, and atlanta, well atlanta has youth but it's all in the front court as teague is merely decent.

dirk is pretty much done, it's sad but his legs are shot. i'm glad he got a title in 2011 because had he not, he wouldn't be winning one

Looking at their salary page on hoopshype, Houston should have enough for a max contract. The big salary bump for Lin and Asik isn't next season.

I agree Atlanta isn't a great fit as is. I don't think either Smith or Horford are 2nd options on a championship team. Smith, Horford, and Howard is too big of a frontline.

The Mavs aren't a good situation at all. I don't see him going there. Like I said, I'm curious as to why they were even on his list in the first place.

Posted Image

#163 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,750 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted February 02, 2013 - 08:15 PM

Stopped when you first ignored the "only chance" i said that Lebron would ever join.

And then realized you have no clue when you said the Clippers have a better owner than the Lakers. Idiocy at it's best.

Majesty, dont get your panties in a wad, its just a fan board. I'd rather have a good debate with than hurl insults.

Lebron will only come if the Lakers meet him in the finals the next 2 years in a row, going to 7 games for 1 year and 5 games the last year? What realistic chance do the Lakers have of going to the finals this year???? Do the players have to rub their tummies and pat there bellies, sing carols and light candles on a Tuesday at a full moon as well? What sort of analysis is that?

Lets talk owners ... Jimmie vs Sterling. No argument, not even close that the Lakers have historically had the better owner. How about lately say the last 2 years? Are you happy with the most recent coach hiring by Jimmie? How about the one he didnt hire? How about the one before that? Has the GM, employed by the Lakers owner been doing a stellar job? Have you liked his penchant to chuck draft picks and get B grade in return?

Ok, Clippers. Not a great coach but he has kept it simple. How has the GM done the last couple of years with trades, FA signings? Has the owner opened his wallet and allowed the GM to spend?

Now Majesty, try hard to analyze and debate the above in your response, cheap invectives just do not become you. :o)

#164 Red September

Red September

Your Future Ex

• 2,710 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000ish
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24`

Posted February 02, 2013 - 08:54 PM

not going to trade howard. lakers are stupid to do that.

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

#165 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,172 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted February 02, 2013 - 09:40 PM

Why is this thread still relevant. Lakers aren't trading dwight

#166 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,098 posts

Posted February 02, 2013 - 10:12 PM

Looking at their salary page on hoopshype, Houston should have enough for a max contract. The big salary bump for Lin and Asik isn't next season.

I agree Atlanta isn't a great fit as is. I don't think either Smith or Horford are 2nd options on a championship team. Smith, Horford, and Howard is too big of a frontline.

The Mavs aren't a good situation at all. I don't see him going there. Like I said, I'm curious as to why they were even on his list in the first place.

when they were on his list deron was a free agent and dirk hadn't fallen off the deep end yet.

houston i'm not 100% sure if they'll have room. if they do then they aren't a horrible spot, though having said that lin has proven he's just ok. it'll depend on how howard views harden, because asik is useless for dwight, their rookies are all barely producing.

so to me none of those situations make sense. the only somewhat sensible situation is if chris paul leaves LA and goes to atlanta or dallas, but why would CP3 leave a contender to play for one of those teams with dwight howard being an unknown health wise
Posted Image

#167 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,604 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted February 03, 2013 - 01:22 AM

'LakerGeezer'

Lebron will only come if the Lakers meet him in the finals the next 2 years in a row, going to 7 games for 1 year and 5 games the last year? What realistic chance do the Lakers have of going to the finals this year???? Do the players have to rub their tummies and pat there bellies, sing carols and light candles on a Tuesday at a full moon as well? What sort of analysis is that?

My reply: it was me showing HOW unlikely it was for LeBron to come here. But you didn't get that apparently.

'Geezer'
Lets talk owners ... Jimmie vs Sterling. No argument, not even close that the Lakers have historically had the better owner. How about lately say the last 2 years? Are you happy with the most recent coach hiring by Jimmie? How about the one he didnt hire? How about the one before that? Has the GM, employed by the Lakers owner been doing a stellar job? Have you liked his penchant to chuck draft picks and get B grade in return?

Myreply.

We've got two championships in the last five years. The Clippers have been in the playoffs once in that time.

The Clippers got Chris Paul from us AFTER we already got him. Stern did that, not the 'brilliant owner of the Clippers'

Not to mention he net us Steve Nash and Dwight Howard in the same off-season.

Yes I can say I'm quite happy with the majority of things our owner has done the last few years. All I have to say is in 5 years we've have two championships, in that same time the Clippers...made the playoffs. That was only last year. We finished higher in the standings than them last year too despite all we dealt with and we both lost in the second round. This year has yet to be concluded and the playoffs are a long ways away. I'm not gonna blame the owners for our injuries. They did what they had to do ti make us a winning team. If not hiring one coach you wanted trunmps 2 championships in 5 years and chris paul, dwight howard and steve nash in back to back off-seasons then I don't need to insult you. You do it yourself just fine trying to sell that the Clippers owner is better than ours.

'Geezer'
Ok, Clippers. Not a great coach but he has kept it simple. How has the GM done the last couple of years with trades, FA signings? Has the owner opened his wallet and allowed the GM to spend?

My reply

Again, stupid question. Our payroll and money we spent which by the way helped us win those championships was the reason we couldn't sign and spend "big bucks". In FACt us getting chris paul while trading lamar odom and pau gasol would have cleared our payroll also allowing us to not have to endure the tax. The Lakers owner mastered the new GA the day it was signed and the other owners got pissed cause he beat them all to it.

Again, point to us :)

'Geezer'
Now Majesty, try hard to analyze and debate the above in your response, cheap invectives just do not become you. :o)

Myreply
There is nothing to analyze from you. Same brainless argument from someone that has no clue that is dealt with everyday around here.

But you try to use the one decent season the clippers have had over us(last season we finished higher than them too) to try to say the Clippers have better ownership than the Lakers..

I don't NEED to insult you. You summed up how much you know in a sentence.

Don't worry though kid, if you missed all that, here's Willy Wonka with the summary

Edited by Majesty, February 03, 2013 - 01:26 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#168 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,750 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 11:29 AM

^Not really much to reply to Majesty. I certainly cannot top analysis from you such as "stupid", "brainless" and the like. Wow, do I ever feel put in my place! I humbly bow before your superior intellect and deeply thought out retorts. I can see now that I just dont get it and you do. Let's do this ... let's call a truce and just save the thread for a year or so. Time will tell whether my view has more vaildity or yours, agreed?

#169 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,044 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted February 03, 2013 - 02:03 PM

when they were on his list deron was a free agent and dirk hadn't fallen off the deep end yet.

houston i'm not 100% sure if they'll have room. if they do then they aren't a horrible spot, though having said that lin has proven he's just ok. it'll depend on how howard views harden, because asik is useless for dwight, their rookies are all barely producing.

so to me none of those situations make sense. the only somewhat sensible situation is if chris paul leaves LA and goes to atlanta or dallas, but why would CP3 leave a contender to play for one of those teams with dwight howard being an unknown health wise

Yeah, I think the Clippers winning is probably helping the Lakers out more than anything else. I think not being able to pair Dwight with another true superstar is going to hurt everybody else when trying to get him.

Posted Image

#170 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,455 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted February 03, 2013 - 02:07 PM

^Not really much to reply to Majesty. I certainly cannot top analysis from you such as "stupid", "brainless" and the like. Wow, do I ever feel put in my place! I humbly bow before your superior intellect and deeply thought out retorts. I can see now that I just dont get it and you do. Let's do this ... let's call a truce and just save the thread for a year or so. Time will tell whether my view has more vaildity or yours, agreed?

Don't worry ....he also said Mike Brown was a good coach and won't get fired...lol

#171 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,604 posts

Posted February 03, 2013 - 02:29 PM

Don't worry ....he also said Mike Brown was a good coach and won't get fired...lol

So last year. I've been right about Metta playing well to close out last year and him having his most productive year this one.
I was right about Nash NOT running PnR everytime down as it wouldn't bring us long success back when people were mad at Mike Brown.
I was right about Nash having to play off ball and emulating something similar to how Blake uses Kobe.
I was wrong about them firing Mike Brown and keeping Bynum.

So was many others. And everyone that thought Mike Brown was an idiot for not running PnR with Nash every time down and trying to get Nash off ball more were wrong.

But if you want to say I was wrong about Mike Brown being fired so I must be wrong that the Lakers have a better owner than thew Clippers, go ahead. Only Geezer will agree with you.

#172 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,455 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted February 03, 2013 - 11:14 PM

So last year. I've been right about Metta playing well to close out last year and him having his most productive year this one.
I was right about Nash NOT running PnR everytime down as it wouldn't bring us long success back when people were mad at Mike Brown.
I was right about Nash having to play off ball and emulating something similar to how Blake uses Kobe.

So was many others. And everyone that thought Mike Brown was an idiot for not running PnR with Nash every time down and trying to get Nash off ball more were wrong.

But if you want to say I was wrong about Mike Brown being fired so I must be wrong that the Lakers have a better owner than thew Clippers, go ahead. Only Geezer will agree with you.

lol...looks like I hurt your ego a bit.

Lakers obviously have a better owner......and how does you being wrong about Mike Brown mean you are wrong about that(which you aren't)...lol

Edited by LakeShow805, February 03, 2013 - 11:18 PM.

#173 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,172 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted February 03, 2013 - 11:42 PM

Lol and you were wrong about 50 other times, but you don't mention that because you want to make yourself look better.

You don't like to talk about the lakers, you like to argue about the lakers.

Edited by MrKnowItAll, February 03, 2013 - 11:43 PM.

#174 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,604 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 05:32 AM

lol...looks like I hurt your ego a bit.

Lakers obviously have a better owner......and how does you being wrong about Mike Brown mean you are wrong about that(which you aren't)...lol

Because you like to bring up when I was wrong then to unjustify or belittle an opinion of mine. So why waste your time doing that if you agree with me? Or did you not read the discussion at all and just felt like taking a jab at me for no reason? :)

And my ego isn't hurt on an online forum, my ego gets hurt when my girlfriend beats me at chess. Not when someone I don't know takes a jab at me online for no reason other than to get my attention :)

Lol and you were wrong about 50 other times, but you don't mention that because you want to make yourself look better.

You don't like to talk about the lakers, you like to argue about the lakers.

50 other times? Name them :) im willing to bet bynum getting replaced by dwight and mike brown getting fired is all u got.

Then again you're the "do as I say not as I do" troll here so if I expected anything more from you I'd only be disappointed :)

You're the guy who would say "you're stupid for saying 2+2 is 4!! Because 2+2 is obviously 4 and thats exactly how you should say it. Eventhough im doing what im bashing you for I'm hoping you don't notice"

Don't ever change kid.

Edited by Majesty, February 04, 2013 - 05:37 AM.

#175 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,750 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 07:54 AM

^Majesty, you have a girlfriend? And you play chess? Who woulda thunk it.

#176 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,750 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 08:18 AM

"Lakers obviously have a better owner."

LakeShow, no disagreement, historically. But I would submit that it is a closer call for the next, say 5 years or so. Sterling has showed the ability to leave his GM alone to make decent decisions and the desire to spend the $ to field a winning team. Dont know what has bit him, but something has changed. As a result, the Clippers have a well constructed roster, control of the payroll, and attractive spot for veteran FAs and a nice culture. That all starts with the owner.

Jimmy B is not Jerry B. What level of confidence do you have that Jimmy will stop meddling and allow the FO to make decent bball decisions (to the extent Mitch can do that, I have my doubts about him)? What is to stop the Buss clan, which appears to barely talk to each other, from openly clashing to the point where their disfunction affects the team's ability to function as a business and as a team on the court?

All I am saying is that the past is the past. Sometimes it is an indicator of the future, all things being equal. But not all things are equal in this analysis. Sterling has changed and the Lakers ownership has passed withing the family.

Now all that being said, the Clippers are still the Clippers. Paul signs elswehere in the off season, and the smart money is on them reverting to their historical norm. Focusing solely on the Lakers, ownership decisions in the hands of the strange Jimmy B worries me alot.

#177 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,098 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 09:33 AM

Jim buss since 2004 when he was given majority control of basketball operations has acquired gasol, chris paul, Steve Nash, dwight Howard, Lamar odom, seen 2 rings, 3 finals appearances, and drafted Andrew Bynum

That's all under Jim buss holding the same power he has now

The only difference between Jim buss and sterling is one of those owners was unethically given Chris Paul and the other had Chris Paul unethically taken away

Edited by last stand 2.0, February 04, 2013 - 09:34 AM.

Posted Image

#178 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,750 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 09:52 AM

^Not saying that you posted it, but many here keep claiming that Jerry has until recently continued to be the ultimate decsionmaker on most moves, titles notwithstanding.

I am not the only one concerned about the future ownership picture.

http://www.ocregiste...1-buss-jim.html

Edited by LakerGeezer, February 04, 2013 - 09:53 AM.

#179 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,092 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 09:58 AM

Per Steven Marcus of Newsday, the Lakers will not be trading Howard, nor do they have plans to trade any of their "principal" players:

Asked about his remaining options to salvage this season, Kupchak said, "We will not make a trade. We will not trade Dwight Howard. We have no intention of making a trade. It's unlikely that we'll make any trade with any of our principal players. To make another change at this time of the year being behind the eight-ball like we are, I think that would just make it more difficult. The talent is there. We have to find our way."

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#180 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,098 posts

Posted February 04, 2013 - 10:10 AM

^Not saying that you posted it, but many here keep claiming that Jerry has until recently continued to be the ultimate decsionmaker on most moves, titles notwithstanding.

I am not the only one concerned about the future ownership picture.

http://www.ocregiste...1-buss-jim.html

Since 2004 it's been Jim and Mitch doing the Actual deals and orchestrating them, jerry did and still does hold final approval ability.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users