181 replies to this topic

#81 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,044 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 24, 2013 - 12:22 AM

To me, having the clean slate is better than whatever the Lakers can get for Dwight at this point. What are those middling pieces for the Lakers going to do after next year by themselves? It'll keep the Lakers from bottoming out like most teams who aren't competing want to do. I don't want the Lakers to build around Rajon Rondo or Josh Smith.

Posted Image

#82 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted January 24, 2013 - 12:25 AM

To me, having the clean slate is better than whatever the Lakers can get for Dwight at this point. What are those middling pieces for the Lakers going to do after next year by themselves? It'll keep the Lakers from bottoming out like most teams who aren't competing want to do. I don't want the Lakers to build around Rajon Rondo or Josh Smith.

You wouldn't really build around Rondo, but he is an assist machine who could be the supporting guy to another star.

I wouldn't mind just letting everything go until everyone's contracts run out after next season, but I feel that's such a disservice to Kobe. I really want him to get his sixth.

#83 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 24, 2013 - 12:29 AM

This is the problem, if you don't get pieces now, then in 2014 you don't get a marquee free agent, where do you go from there?

Go out and get young pieces now and build the team back up from there. That's the best plan.

#84 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,866 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted January 24, 2013 - 12:36 AM

Most teams that aren't competing...aren't in big markets, and especially aren't in LA.

The Lakers can pick up a guy like Horford or Rondo, and still let Gasol's contract expire, negotiate with Kobe and hope he's cool with 50% or less than he's making now, and you'd have room to look at FA's (and you'd have a max contract, if you play the cards right).

LA would bottom out if they let Dwight walk at the end of this season. Next season, we would be incredibly bad...and absolutely no room to spend any money, at all ($59 million for just Kobe, Nash and Gasol).

If we go through something like that next season, Kobe will likely retire...or, and I never would have thought this before, he could go somewhere else and play.

At that point, we end up with a team containing Nash...and nothing else, assuming we let them all go.

Suddenly, while LA is still the place to go...it's the Clippers, not the Lakers. The shift is complete.

We need Howard to re-sign, or we need to make a big trade before the deadline. We can't risk letting him walk.

#85 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 12:43 AM

3 team with Atlanta and Boston that lands us Rondo, Korver, and maybe a pick or two sounds appealing to me.

Then, like RD said we wait for Gasol/MWP/Kobe contracts to expire, resign Kobe, and get some more players through FA.

Not sure what we'd do with Nash though. I'd assume trade him.

#86 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,044 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 12:47 AM

What I see happening if the Lakers trade for Dwight is the Lakers getting a good but not great player. Those guys don't attract FAs, so the Lakers will be stuck trying to build around that good player. That's the worst place for a team to be in. If the Lakers don't have a number one guy like Dwight Howard, I doubt they'll be able to attract a top level player to play there.

If the Lakers bottom out, they can use that cap space to get draft picks from teams looking to dump contracts. That's the proper way to rebuild.

Edited by Japago, January 24, 2013 - 12:49 AM.

Posted Image

#87 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,853 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 24, 2013 - 12:49 AM

Hopefully the Lakers can wrangle their way into grabbing the Bobcats pick that theyre supposedly considering moving.

#88 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,866 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 12:50 AM

The only place I could see Nash playing at, before he retires, is Toronto...simply because he'd be a huge, huge fan favorite in Canada.

The Raptors aren't going to trade Ed Davis, Jonas Valanciunas, or DeMar DeRozan to us, though...not for Nash...so we'd be dumping him off for a draft pick. Would be nice to get Lowry for him, though.

#89 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 12:50 AM

What I see happening if the Lakers trade for Dwight is the Lakers getting a good but not great player. Those guys don't attract FAs, so the Lakers will be stuck trying to build around that good player. That's the worst place for a team to be in. If you don't have a number one guy on the Lakers like Dwight Howard, I doubt they'll be able to attract a top level player to play there.

If the Lakers bottom out, they can use that cap space to get draft picks from teams looking to dump contracts. That's the proper way to rebuild.

You could get some draft picks by trading Dwight and possibly Nash if we landed Rondo.

Rondo/Kobe + a [expletive] ton of cap space would be appealing to FA's.

#90 King Joseph

King Joseph

Rookie

• 153 posts
  • Name:Jonas Joseph
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Lamar Odom

Posted January 24, 2013 - 12:52 AM

LAC would have to give us BG + Bledsoe and someone else for me to even consider it. Nash Kobe MWP Griffin Pau with Bledsoe someone like Crawford Clark and Hill off the bench isnt terrible

if they gave us griffin and bledsoe for dwight thatll be a laughing stock. They would never do that trade in a million years lmao.
Terry "Mother[expletive]ing" Kennedy: "Skateboarder Pro"

Posted Image

#91 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 12:55 AM

What I see happening if the Lakers trade for Dwight is the Lakers getting a good but not great player. Those guys don't attract FAs, so the Lakers will be stuck trying to build around that good player. That's the worst place for a team to be in. If the Lakers don't have a number one guy like Dwight Howard, I doubt they'll be able to attract a top level player to play there.

So I don't understand your logic of starting with a clean slate then.

We'd have nothing that would attract free agents if Dwight leaves so what's the difference? Isn't getting pieces and draft picks better then nothing?

#92 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,866 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 12:56 AM

Regarding that Clippers trade, I wouldn't go for that. DeAndre Jordan is only useful in an uptempo offense, and while Bledsoe is a pretty good backup PG, he's going to need to play full-time starter-level basketball before I go off trading a superstar for him.

If the Clips ended up with Dwight, CP3, and Griffin, pencil them in as a top two contender every single year. Unlike Nash, Chris Paul can run ANY type of offense, uptempo or half court, WILL run P&R to death with both of those guys, and he doesn't need Dwight to meet his man at the rim.

#93 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,044 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 01:00 AM

So I don't understand your logic of starting with a clean slate then.

We'd have nothing that would attract free agents if Dwight leaves so what's the difference? Isn't getting pieces and draft picks better then nothing?

The Lakers should take the risk of Dwight leaving because the reward for trading him isn't much.

Having those pieces or not 2 years from now isn't going to make much of a difference. In fact, it might be bad.

Edited by Japago, January 24, 2013 - 01:01 AM.

Posted Image

#94 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 01:07 AM

The Lakers should take the risk of Dwight leaving because the reward for trading him isn't much.

Having those pieces or not 2 years from now isn't going to make much of a difference.

That's assuming they don't get good pieces for him.

If you get someone like Rondo for example, that's definitely worth something down the line. Not saying that would happen but who knows.

Lakers aren't going to trade Dwight for a bad package if it comes down to that. I still say if you get a couple good young players and draft picks, go for it.

You trade Dwight for pieces, the rebuild is quicker cause you start it now. But you let Dwight walk and THEN miss out on a big free agent in 2014, you're looking at a potential rebuild of 5 years or more.

#95 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,044 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 01:12 AM

That's assuming they don't get good pieces for him.

If you get someone like Rondo for example, that's definitely worth something down the line. Not saying that would happen but who knows.

Lakers aren't going to trade Dwight for a bad package if it comes down to that. I still say if you get a couple good young players and draft picks, go for it.

You trade Dwight for pieces, the rebuild is quicker cause you start it now. But you let Dwight walk and THEN miss out on a big free agent in 2014, you're looking at a potential rebuild of 5 years or more.

Getting Rondo would keep the Lakers in the playoffs, but not as a championship contender. I'm not a fan of being in that middle area. If you get a non-superstar and can't get an actual superstar to play with him, the Lakers will be stuck there.

What the Lakers could do with just cap space in 2014 is pair big time FAs together(better than any player the Lakers could get for Dwight) or use it to load up on draft picks by taking on bad contracts.

Edited by Japago, January 24, 2013 - 01:24 AM.

Posted Image

#96 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,116 posts

Posted January 24, 2013 - 02:03 AM

http://espn.go.com/n...tradeId=b6hpx79

Lakers also get 2 future 1st round picks.

http://espn.go.com/n...tradeId=aoa6sfe

Lowry/Morris
Kobe/Hayward/Meeks
Ron/Hayward/Kleiza
Horford/Clark
Pau/Horford

:/ it sucks even arguing this sort of thing.

#97 lakersince75

lakersince75

Rookie

• 1,374 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted January 24, 2013 - 06:06 AM

I'm not sure if anyone is interested in coming to the Lakers if it means playing with Kobe. As great as he is, he isn't easy to play with. We're all talking about not letting Dwight walk but if Dwight walks AND you trade Gasol, the immediate cap space could be huge. However, if we take on some mediocre pieces for Dwight with long term contracts, Kobe will never see 6. I think the key to all this is finding a way for Kobe to be on the court for only 32 or 33 minutes per game. That will give those that claims he shoots too much 15 minutes or so without him and gives them time to prove themselves. I watched the game against Memphis and it was crazy how Kobe's teammates would stand completely still once Kobe got the ball. It was BANANAS!!

#98 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,089 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted January 24, 2013 - 07:47 AM

All of these ideas won't matter if Mike D'Antoni remains our coach and if Pau Gasol remains on this team.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#99 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,143 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted January 24, 2013 - 07:50 AM

Regarding that Clippers trade, I wouldn't go for that. DeAndre Jordan is only useful in an uptempo offense, and while Bledsoe is a pretty good backup PG, he's going to need to play full-time starter-level basketball before I go off trading a superstar for him.

If the Clips ended up with Dwight, CP3, and Griffin, pencil them in as a top two contender every single year. Unlike Nash, Chris Paul can run ANY type of offense, uptempo or half court, WILL run P&R to death with both of those guys, and he doesn't need Dwight to meet his man at the rim.

I agree except 1 thing about Cp3 - he is never in good shape (always lil pudgy) & he gets hurt all the time.
Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#100 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,190 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted January 24, 2013 - 07:53 AM

D'Antoni is maybe 1000 times that problem that Pau is. I think Pau has way more value as an expiring contract next season, and D'Antoni has demolished any value he would have had by making him play 18 feet from the basket and benching him repeatedly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users