• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,948 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 22, 2013 - 09:43 PM

Offensively, with both Gasol and Howard on the floor, the Lakers have scored at a rate that would rank 12th in the league. With only one of the two on the floor, they’ve scored at a rate that would rank second.

Defensively, with both Gasol and Howard in the game, the Lakers are defending at a rate that would rank 19th in the league. With only one of the two in the game, they’re defending at a rate that would rank ninth.

Overall, with Gasol and Howard on the floor together, the Lakers have the point differential of a 37-win team. With only one of the two on the floor, they have a point differential of a 61-win team.

The question, of course, is why the Lakers can’t play well with two of the best big men in the league on the floor together. And it’s hard not to point at the coach, because things were OK before D’Antoni took over.
Lakers efficiency with Gasol and Howard on the floor together Coach GP MIN OffRtg DefRtg NetRtg +/- Brown 5 135 110.8 95.4 +15.5 +41 Bickerstaff 5 130 105.4 100.8 +4.6 +6 D’Antoni 18 346 98.6 107.7 -9.1 -61
Five games apiece for Mike Brown and Bernie Bickerstaff are small sample sizes, but it’s clear that the Lakers’ early issues weren’t with their bigs. When they got off to a 1-4 start under Brown, the bench was more of a problem.

The big man issues under D’Antoni are on both sides of the ball. Offensively, Gasol is a different player when he’s on the floor with Howard. In those 612 minutes, just 44 percent of his 208 shots have come from the paint. With Howard on the bench, 67 percent of Gasol’s 109 shots have come from the paint.

D’Antoni’s system calls for three shooters around a point guard (who can also shoot) and a pick-and-roll big man. And Gasol can’t space the floor like a true stretch four.
Gasol’s shooting with Howard on and off the floor Howard on/off FGM FGA FG% %FGA paint Howard on floor 83 208 39.9% 44.2% Howard off floor 54 109 49.5% 67.0%
Here’s the thing: Gasol played 5 1/2 seasons with Andrew Bynum. And with Bynum on the floor, Gasol still took 66 percent of his shots from the paint, because Phil Jackson‘s offense allowed for two post players. The Lakers were a very good offensive team with the two bigs on the floor together.

Defensively, the Lakers have breakdowns all over the place this season, mostly with guards Steve Nash and Kobe Bryant. But there’s no clear explanation why they’re much better with only one of the two bigs on the floor. It may be a foot speed issue, and they may just be able to recover better with a smaller, quicker player at the four. Under Jackson, they were better defensively with Lamar Odom at the four than with Bynum and Gasol out there together.

Still, this is all kind of ridiculous. And it’s all too familiar. On the last team D’Antoni coached, he had two guys making about $40 million combined who couldn’t play well together either.

Under D’Antoni, the New York Knicks were a minus-137 and absolutely awful defensively in 1,506 minutes with Carmelo Anthony and Amar’e Stoudemire on the floor together. The coach’s inability to get his two stars on the same page is a big reason he isn’t in New York anymore. Under Mike Woodson, the Knicks are even (plus-0) in 497 minutes with Anthony and Stoudemire on the floor together.

The Lakers probably aren’t going to be making another coaching change. Instead, Gasol is probably on his way out the door. And we can only wonder what might have been had L.A.

hired Jackson when they let go of Brown in November … or if they had just kept Brown.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

• 40,431 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 11:49 PM

Ab4sure the sequel?

He has his moments, but I don't think he's as bad nor as active.

yo.

#63 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,805 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 23, 2013 - 03:25 AM

great post mdi

dantonie is the problem

#64 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,733 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 23, 2013 - 04:43 AM

D'Antoni is one of the most pressing concerns, but Kobe's shooting has been awful in the last couple of games. He should concentrate on involving everyone else and stop taking contested fadeaway long-range jumpers.

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#65 netlord

netlord

Flying high

• 10,689 posts
  • Name:Alexi

Posted January 23, 2013 - 04:45 AM

It was obvious since day 1 the D'Antoni has a major part in this, let's see how much more we can suck before something happens.
Posted Image

#66 t-1

t-1

Rookie

• 559 posts
  • Fan Since:2009

Posted January 23, 2013 - 04:50 AM

Time for a mutiny...

#67 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,409 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted January 23, 2013 - 05:26 AM

why just not firing this guy? then get a new coach and dwight gets happy !!!

Germanys Craziest & Finest LA Lakers Fan #Manaro90

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users