Photo

Steve Kerr Says Trade Dwight

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

• 40,603 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 11:22 PM

Steve Kerr ‏@SteveKerrTNT

If I'm the Lakers, I'd look to trade Howard, not Pau. Dwight may walk next year anyway, and if Gasol is gone they'd be left with nothing. So disappointing to watch the Lakers right now. They sucked the life out of me, and I'm just an analyst. Can't imagine how Laker fans feel.

yo.

#2 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,865 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Nick Van Exel

Posted January 21, 2013 - 11:25 PM

But Steve Kerr is a horrible gm!

#3 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,280 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 11:29 PM

We should entertain this idea if it comes to it. We could get legit draft picks and youth/athleticism out of this. It sucks for Dwight but couldn't care less.

Then ship Nash's ass for Lowry, it's all good.

#4 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 21, 2013 - 11:31 PM

I'm starting to lean towards trading Dwight as well.

I mean I want this guy here long term but will he ever recovery fully from his back injury concerns me.

This team in the long run concerns me as well. Kobe may not be happy with it BUT he's not getting any closer to a title in the next two years with the way this is going.

Trade him for young talent and draft picks, play out this season (can't get any worse IMO) and start out fresh next year. As of right now, we are not taking out the Thunder or Heat anytime soon so that's what we need to build towards.

#5 Alpha Four

Alpha Four

Fugitive Alien

• 501 posts
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted January 21, 2013 - 11:31 PM

But Steve Kerr is a horrible gm!

Well you got LOADS of armchair GM's on this forum.

MDADefense_zpsb51f57fb.jpg

#6 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,047 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted January 21, 2013 - 11:36 PM

You don't trade Dwight.

He's still the best center in the league. Look at his averages right now, not shabby at all, and that's coming off major back surgery. Superstar centers are very, very hard to come by. There's only one in the league right now, and the Lakers have him. The next one, potentially Anthony Davis, is still years away from reaching that level.

The Lakers need to do everything they can to keep Dwight. He's the piece to build around for the future. Give him all the money he wants, do whatever it takes. They need Dwight to stay. [expletive] Gasol.

#7 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 21, 2013 - 11:37 PM

If Dwight walks, the Lakers have almost nothing on the payroll for 2014.

Just risk it, and try to pair a couple of good players together like the Knicks did a few years ago if that doesn't work out. And if that doesn't work out, just start from the bottom.

All of that seems better than getting random players right now. With Dwight being a FA after this season, you're probably not going to get something great for him anyway. Remember, it was reported that even the Rockets didn't offer as much as it was originally reported.

It seems like a lot of people want change just for the sake of change.

Edited by Japago, January 21, 2013 - 11:37 PM.

Posted Image

#8 ace™

ace™

Most Interesting

• 10,287 posts
  • Name:Ray Donovan
  • Fan Since:1997

Dwight doesn't exactly look ecstatic out on the floor, our terrible record and team play don't help either, wouldn't REALLY surprise me if he walks, even if it meants leaving $20M or whatever it is on the table.

He probably thought "I can come in and average 18 and 12, catch some Nash lobs and look good doing it, coast to 60 wins, and me and Kobe will whoop on Lebron in June, then i'll get PAID a few weeks after that, what can go wrong?".

Instead, we're not even in the playoffs, he's struggling, been ejected twice, his mates are horrible on D and it's always up to him to make the stop, can't make a FT, etc.

Our situation as a whole will get worse before it gets better IMO.

#9 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,280 posts

I'm starting to lean towards trading Dwight as well.

I mean I want this guy here long term but will he ever recovery fully from his back injury concerns me.

This team in the long run concerns me as well. Kobe may not be happy with it BUT he's not getting any closer to a title in the next two years with the way this is going.

Trade him for young talent and draft picks, play out this season (can't get any worse IMO) and start out fresh next year. As of right now, we are not taking out the Thunder or Heat anytime soon so that's what we need to build towards.

yeah, and next year Pau's expiring contract may come even handier. We are so caughted up with this "Kobe's remaining years" stuff that we are ignoring the problems we have. And it is not getting any better.

#10 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 11:40 PM

Trading Dwight is obviously a last resort. Just something to consider for the future.

I'm worried about this 2014 plan turning out like the Mavs plan.

#11 lakers1o1

lakers1o1

Off The Bench

• 2,564 posts
  • Name:The Black Mamba Will Rise
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted January 21, 2013 - 11:42 PM

Yeah, but who are you going to trade Dwight for is the real question?
If you mention picks then get out because I'm not going to rebuild when we still have Kobe.

It really disturbs me that some Laker fans manage to go from blaming the coaching staff, front office, then from one player to another player.
Yes each of them may be an issue but there's really nothing we can do and trading our future center-piece isn't the soltion RIGHTNOW, and even if Dwight walks then the Lakers will have 19 million in their pockets.

kb24_zpscc8c9e5b.jpg

#12 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,432 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted January 21, 2013 - 11:44 PM

Trading Dwight is obviously a last resort. Just something to consider for the future.

I'm worried about this 2014 plan turning out like the Mavs plan.

Ultimately, that's what it might come down to. The only guys in 2014 that I would want to build a team around would be LeBron and John Wall. If LeBron wins another ring in Miami before that I can't see him leaving.

#13 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted January 21, 2013 - 11:45 PM

Not gonna happen. No team is gonna give the farm for a half season rental of Dwight. Keep him, and try to convince to sign long term. If not at least you get alot of financial flexibility.
htCCl0m.png

• 40,603 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 11:47 PM

The only guys in 2014 that I would want to build a team around would be LeBron and John Wall.

John Wall? Call me when he's got a jumpshot.

Now if he had more to his all-around game to make up for it like Rondo, then I could understand, but c'mon now.

yo.

#15 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,432 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Fan Since:1994

Posted January 21, 2013 - 11:50 PM

John Wall? Call me when he's got a jumpshot.

Now if he had more to his all-around game to make up for it like Rondo, then I could understand, but c'mon now.

I know John Wall is a stretch, but he is honestly the second best option in the 2014 free agent class. And obviously guys like Paul Pierce, Nowitzki, and DWade shouldn't be considered. And I'm still not sold on Carmelo as a team leader. The 2014 free agent market is pretty much LeBron or bust.

#16 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 2,046 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 11:51 PM

yeah, and next year Pau's expiring contract may come even handier. We are so caughted up with this "Kobe's remaining years" stuff that we are ignoring the problems we have. And it is not getting any better.

You're right, but fo did more than their job by surrounding him with Howard and nash, and securing the team w/ a franchise player..

Instead of speculations, id say It didn't play out any good , which doesn't make sense.

And if you want to think of it in another way , FO were relying on Nash as a focal point to any strategy the team might conduct.

Im sure one of the reasons they didn't want the triangle is because it doesn't benefit Nash.

FO thought the personnel issue would heel with this Mda and nash's Phoenix..

#17 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,527 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 11:52 PM

nobody worth trading him for. we'd be better off having him walk and getting the cap space and draft picks from sucking and rebuild that way.

having said that i think he'll stay
Posted Image

#18 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,913 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted January 21, 2013 - 11:52 PM

I hate Stever Kerr!

But yea......you don't trade the best center

"No Justice. No Peace. Jail the Racist Police!"

#19 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,054 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted January 21, 2013 - 11:53 PM

I don't think people realize that even he doesn't have great value right now. Remember the offers before the season?

Even those won't be available now that he's potentially a 1/2 season rental. That plus the fact that he's shown on the court that he's not the same player(at least for right now). Plus, it would signal even further attitude problems.

All those would scare off teams from trading a lot of value for him.

Posted Image

#20 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted January 21, 2013 - 11:54 PM

I dont think we should trade Dwight just yet. But i was one of the first people to say we should consider it just in case he decides to walk. That was is early December im not sure about now but i think his decisions is still up in the air. Even he does not know if he is staying or leaving although like ACE said he does look unmotivated and frustrated out there on the court. I think Mitch should call and shop him a little twoard the trade deadline to see who bites and what is offered. Dwight can still command a pretty high asking price, but Pau still needs to be dealt. No way we can afford a 19 million dollar avg Center. But first things first MDA had to go or else Dwight Will.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users