#102 K0be10-11

K0be10-11

Starter

• 4,494 posts
  • Name:Don't Worry About It
  • Fan Since:Since 2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 21, 2013 - 09:14 AM

This will never happen, he did so much for the Lakers, first of all trading Kwame for Pau. Then Getting Nash Easily, and then Trading for Dwight. He did a great job, only stupid move was the coach
Posted Image

#103 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,122 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 09:34 AM

It was Jimmy who wanted to get Nash, not Mitch. Mitch said it himself that Jimmy told him the first thing he should do was call Nash's agent once teams were allowed to speak with free agents. If Jimmy did not say anything, I doubt we would still have Nash.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#104 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,177 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted January 21, 2013 - 10:04 AM

It was Jimmy who wanted to get Nash, not Mitch. Mitch said it himself that Jimmy told him the first thing he should do was call Nash's agent once teams were allowed to speak with free agents. If Jimmy did not say anything, I doubt we would still have Nash.

Source?

#105 InterNLakerNajkihh

InterNLakerNajkihh

Rookie

• 389 posts
  • Name:Besnik
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 21, 2013 - 10:14 AM

So it was mitchs fault that he made a super team, because he should have kept the picks, the same picks that would be so valuable for this franchise that we love, that tanks year after year to get the highest picks possible, the same dude who turned kwame brown into Gasol, who turned odom and Gasol into cp3, than he went on to get Dwight and Nash, [expletive] it I quit, some of you have really some up issues, and also the last person who needs blame for coaches is the GM, because lets face it GM makes ish happen , it was jerry/jimbo who wanted the Lakeshow with dudes who are all over 30 years old, its not Mitchs fault that we hire semi retarted coaches when we can hire coaches like Phil Jackson or Jerry Sloan.

I am done really done , I knew we as fans were spoiled but blaming the gm the same gm who put in the same team Nash, Dwight, Kobe, Gasol all future HALL OF FAMERS just because our retarded coaches can't coach for ish, this is just INSANE!

#106 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 10:17 AM

Don't pass the profanity filter Inter

#107 InterNLakerNajkihh

InterNLakerNajkihh

Rookie

• 389 posts
  • Name:Besnik
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 21, 2013 - 10:20 AM

sorry wrote that really angry, if it is forbidden you can edit it. Wasn't aware of this.

#108 Scooter123

Scooter123

Rookie

• 297 posts
  • Fan Since:1966
  • Fav. Laker:Jerry West

Posted January 21, 2013 - 10:29 AM

Its hard to assess blame when we don't know what decisions the GM made and what decisions the owner made.

Assuming this is a typical, The GM runs 90% of the operations kinda business model, Mitch is a disaster. I didn't see Mike Brown being that bad, and indeed he took a vastly inferior team to the playoffs last year. To replace Brown in mid-season without a training camp was dumb.

There are many jewels of basketball out there, young guys who are cheap and want to play and who can play. I look at the Clippers and see 2 ex-Lakers combining to make that team the best in the West with a superb bench. Even Toronto yesterday showed me that there are far better players out there than the crop the Laker bench has, save and except Earl. I mean the Clips can find these guys, why can't Mitch?

I also fault Mitch for the Nash trade. As great as a player that he was, he is slow and a defensive liability. What they needed at point was a young defensive stud, not an aging, three years past his expiration date pick and roll guy.

#109 Notorious Arab

Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts
  • Fan Since:When I came to the USA

Posted January 21, 2013 - 10:46 AM

Jerry Buss is dying .. He doesn't have power now, even at that time i really believe his(jerry) opinion was asked but decision was already made.

"Make no mistake about it, Jerry Buss made the final call on firing Mike Brown, passing over Jackson and ultimately deciding on D'Antoni," confirmed an NBA source who requested anonymity. "The management structure is a democracy up to a certain point; but when something very big comes up, Jerry makes the decision.

http://www.foxsportswest.com/11/15/12/DAntoni-move-brings-showtime-back-to-LA/landing_lakers.html?blockID=820341

Posted Image

#110 24allday

24allday

Rookie

• 1,388 posts
  • Name:Gavin
  • Fan Since:3rd grade - first started watching and loved Kobe
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba, #STAYSWAG

Posted January 21, 2013 - 11:14 AM

That's actually true I remember reading that. But Mitch isa great gm and I would honestly be pissed if he got canned over this .

#111 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,122 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 11:50 AM

Throughout most of a 30-plus minute press conference in which Mitch Kupchak flanked his newest signing, twice-MVP point guard Steve Nash, the Lakers GM had a steady (if subtle) grin on his face.

Considering L.A.’s financial situation, Nash didn’t even seem like an option at first when free agency began on July 1, the Lakers having only the mini-mid level exception to offer, but executive vice president Jim Buss kept stressing to Kupchak that they had to “make the call.”

After the Nash press conference, we asked Kupchak how the process to acquire Nash began and was ultimately executed. Below are his answers, along with two addition responses to questions about where else L.A. must improve (bench depth) and the difficulty in acquiring star players:

On how the Lakers acquired Steve Nash:
Kupchak: That is very interesting, because beginning with free agency, we always do a list — (Jim Buss and I) work with my staff — of the players that we’re going to contact on July 1 at 12:01 a.m. We always like to call our players that are free agents first, Ramon Sessions and Jordan Hill and players that were on our roster. So we did that, and coincidentally, Steve Nash is also represented by Jordan Hill’s representative. Steve was at the top of our list in terms of point guards, but it never occurred to me that he’d actually be available. All we had was the mini-mid, which is a $3 million exception. Jim Buss kept saying, ‘Hey Mitch, don’t forget to call.’ Of course (Nash) was at the top of our list, and I said, ‘Jim I’m not sure this is something that can even begin to work out.’ But I said, ‘You never know unless you try.’ So when I spoke to Bill Duffy, we talked about Jordan Hill and Steve Nash, and (Duffy’s) first comment was ‘Well Mitch, would you like to speak with (Nash).’ I said ‘Of course.’ And then 10 seconds later, (Nash) was on the phone. (Duffy) was with Steve Nash when I called at 12:01 a.m.; I think they were together in New York. So that doesn’t happen very often. Looking back on it, maybe it was a sign, if you believe in those things. I didn’t hear much for a day or two, and then we got a call from Bill Duffy saying ‘Steve thought about the conversation we had and he’d like to make this work.’ So that started the whole thing with Phoenix in motion.

On how the complicated sign and trade with Phoenix was figured out:
Kupchak: It was a long process. As everybody knows, we used Lamar’s exception*. It had to be a sign and trade. The market for Steve was pretty vibrant out there. He had other options. I believe some of those options would have resulted in more compensation. This was the largest deal that we could offer, provided Phoenix cooperated.
*The Lakers had a large trade exception from a preseason trade that sent Lamar Odom and a second round pick to Dallas for the exception and a first round pick they later moved to Houston.

On the need to improve the bench from where it was last season:
Kupchak: We didn’t have a great bench last year, and I think we have to look to improve our bench a little bit. We have challenges in front of us, and hopefully in the next couple of weeks we’ll be able to figure it out. A lot of it has to do with our coach and how many minutes the guys are going to be playing, of the five starters. One is under 30, and the other four are above 30. I don’t think any of them would ever ask to play less, so we’re going to have to manage minutes. Therefore, you’re going to have to have guys that come off the bench that could do no worse than keep things at the same level they were before the starter’s left the court. You hope to get a player that can add (to the score margin) coming off the bench, so that will be a challenge. The new (CBA restrictions) make it difficult, but we’ll find a way to improve the team.

- From the official Lakers website

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#112 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 11:52 AM

So Nash was on the top of their list and Jimmy made sure Mitch called. Sounds to me like they both wanted him but Jim was the only one who thought they had a chance.

#113 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 01:45 PM

So it was mitchs fault that he made a super team, because he should have kept the picks, the same picks that would be so valuable for this franchise that we love, that tanks year after year to get the highest picks possible, the same dude who turned kwame brown into Gasol, who turned odom and Gasol into cp3, than he went on to get Dwight and Nash, [expletive] it I quit, some of you have really some up issues, and also the last person who needs blame for coaches is the GM, because lets face it GM makes ish happen , it was jerry/jimbo who wanted the Lakeshow with dudes who are all over 30 years old, its not Mitchs fault that we hire semi retarted coaches when we can hire coaches like Phil Jackson or Jerry Sloan.

I am done really done , I knew we as fans were spoiled but blaming the gm the same gm who put in the same team Nash, Dwight, Kobe, Gasol all future HALL OF FAMERS just because our retarded coaches can't coach for ish, this is just INSANE!

How bout looking at everything as a whole and the results of what he has done...

#114 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 01:51 PM

Its hard to assess blame when we don't know what decisions the GM made and what decisions the owner made.

Assuming this is a typical, The GM runs 90% of the operations kinda business model, Mitch is a disaster. I didn't see Mike Brown being that bad, and indeed he took a vastly inferior team to the playoffs last year. To replace Brown in mid-season without a training camp was dumb.

There are many jewels of basketball out there, young guys who are cheap and want to play and who can play. I look at the Clippers and see 2 ex-Lakers combining to make that team the best in the West with a superb bench. Even Toronto yesterday showed me that there are far better players out there than the crop the Laker bench has, save and except Earl. I mean the Clips can find these guys, why can't Mitch?

I also fault Mitch for the Nash trade. As great as a player that he was, he is slow and a defensive liability. What they needed at point was a young defensive stud, not an aging, three years past his expiration date pick and roll guy.

I made that exact same statement when we got him and everybody called me crazy

#115 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 02:24 PM

I made that exact same statement when we got him and everybody called me crazy

This is the problem with what you said though, and it's not that you said Nash was a defensive liability, everyone knew that.

The problem is there's only a handful of point guards that can be considered "defensive studs". The Lakers were in a position where they needed a playmaking guard who is also defensive minded and when you need those two things, those point guards are out of reach because unless it's Rondo, CP3, D-Will, Conley or Westbrook, you can't find those players and if you do, they aren't cheap.

In your opinion, who do you believe the Lakers could have realistically acquired at the time that could be labeled a 'young defensive stud'

#116 steven v

steven v

Off The Bench

• 1,876 posts
  • Name:steven
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:The L.A. LAKERS

Posted January 21, 2013 - 03:19 PM

Mitch isn't in the hotseat.

What a hack writer.
The Lakers FO knows more than you. Sorry.

#117 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 03:33 PM

This is the problem with what you said though, and it's not that you said Nash was a defensive liability, everyone knew that.

The problem is there's only a handful of point guards that can be considered "defensive studs". The Lakers were in a position where they needed a playmaking guard who is also defensive minded and when you need those two things, those point guards are out of reach because unless it's Rondo, CP3, D-Will, Conley or Westbrook, you can't find those players and if you do, they aren't cheap.

In your opinion, who do you believe the Lakers could have realistically acquired at the time that could be labeled a 'young defensive stud'

When it comes to defensive studs... they are usually a surprise for the most part or they excel more than expected players like Shumpert, Bradley, and Bledose were pretty much dirt cheap players that are great defenders and ball hawks... but I won't be able to give you any names on who we could have realistically got in the off season because I don't remember off hand exactly who was available and I would have to find out who was

#118 Phil Jackson

Phil Jackson

Rookie

• 158 posts
  • Name:Phil Jackson

Posted January 21, 2013 - 03:53 PM

Mitch made a huge mistake by cheaping out and counting on Ebanks to be the backup 3 / perimter defender Ariza figure. I mean, there really were no decent guys available. Pietrus signed with Toronto for the vet min and even though he's overrated, he's still better than what Ebanks has shown.

#119 lakersince75

lakersince75

Rookie

• 1,369 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted January 21, 2013 - 06:04 PM

My only problem with Mitch is he didn't protect our draft picks he traded. Also when we barely beat Boston in the Championship he should have seen the train coming. Moves for Pau, Blake or Metta should have been made then. Oh thats right Stern screwed us!!!

#120 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted January 21, 2013 - 06:07 PM

My only problem with Mitch is he didn't protect our draft picks he traded. Also when we barely beat Boston in the Championship he should have seen the train coming. Moves for Pau, Blake or Metta should have been made then. Oh thats right Stern screwed us!!!

true people forgrt this veto
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users