• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#61 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 21,344 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 20, 2013 - 08:35 PM

I agree with the Lakers going for it now, but the Lakers just didn't "go for it now" correctly like the Spurs have.

The Spurs surrounded their older core with the correct players. The have a good mix of youth and experience on their team. The Lakers just have all old players. Most of the young players the Lakers have gotten over the years are bad.

This goes back to my point in another thread here when talking about scouts. The Spurs have excellent scouts, the Lakers don't. We waste our draft picks. That's a change that is needed immediately.

#62 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,474 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted January 20, 2013 - 08:37 PM

This goes back to my point in another thread here when talking about scouts. The Spurs have excellent scouts, the Lakers don't. We waste our draft picks. That's a change that is needed immediately.

Well being that we dont have any draft picks for a while I figure we have plenty of time do get on that.

#63 Team of the 80's

Team of the 80's

Rookie

• 4 posts
  • Fan Since:46 years
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe

Posted January 20, 2013 - 08:40 PM

Our fan base is arrogant as hell when we win and a bunch of [expletive]es when we lose.

This season is part of being a fan. Not everyone understands that, especially the younger ones, but you have years like this. Just be glad that the Lakers don't have many of them.

I'll take a bad season like this over being a fan of a team that misses the playoffs ten years in a row.

16 NBA titles and missing the playoffs only 5 times in its existence. I always know that the Lakers will be back sooner than later.

The most intelligent thing I've read all day.

#64 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted January 20, 2013 - 08:43 PM

Our fan base is arrogant as hell when we win and a bunch of [expletive]es when we lose.

This season is part of being a fan. Not everyone understands that, especially the younger ones, but you have years like this. Just be glad that the Lakers don't have many of them.

I'll take a bad season like this over being a fan of a team that misses the playoffs ten years in a row.

16 NBA titles and missing the playoffs only 5 times in its existence. I always know that the Lakers will be back sooner than later.

This. We have been so excellent for so long we're kind of due for a bad season like this. We'll be back. Can't stay on top forever. Can't complain with so much success.
htCCl0m.png

#65 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 21,344 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 08:44 PM

Well being that we dont have any draft picks for a while I figure we have plenty of time do get on that.

Haha well we do have one next year. I wouldn't be surprised if we acquire a first rounded this year at some point either.

#66 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,039 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 20, 2013 - 08:44 PM

It's one thing to not win championships every year, but it's another to drop the ball completely.

Bad roster moves in the offseason, keeping Pau for too long, and a bad coaching hire all in the same season are a lot of mistakes.

Posted Image

#67 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 21,344 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 08:47 PM

It's one thing to not win championships every year, but it's another to drop the ball completely.

Bad roster moves in the offseason, keeping Pau for too long, and a bad coaching hire all in the same season are a lot of mistakes.

Yeah but how many times can we say they dropped the ball completely?

And of course in hindsight they dropped the ball, but when the moves were made, everyone had us as a contender. No one said they dropped the ball completely when we acquired Nash and Howard

#68 Notorious Arab

Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts
  • Fan Since:When I came to the USA

Posted January 20, 2013 - 08:53 PM

jim buss

Jerry made the final call for MDA. We went over this already.

Posted Image

#69 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,039 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 08:54 PM

Yeah but how many times can we say they dropped the ball completely?

And of course in hindsight they dropped the ball, but when the moves were made, everyone had us as a contender. No one said they dropped the ball completely when we acquired Nash and Howard

Well, the GM has to sure to make the right moves to get a team to win or win in the future. He's just made a lot of moves that haven't worked out, especially when it comes to role players.

He also wasn't flexible enough to change when it was apparent that the Lakers weren't doing well early this season. It was specifically said that he wanted to wait until Nash got healthy until even evaluating this team.

Posted Image

#70 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted January 20, 2013 - 09:20 PM

So than can we say Mitch is great at landing great talent through trade ,but management hasn't hired the right Scouts for players and Mitch didn't look into getting young talent to replace our core group when they retire instead of burning out our older core

#71 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,039 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 09:27 PM

And it's not just scouting talent. Plenty of under 30 proven players have been available for the MLE over the years.

But, the Lakers used their MLEs on old guys when it was bigger, and bad younger players the last 2 seasons.

Edited by Japago, January 20, 2013 - 09:28 PM.

Posted Image

#72 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 21,344 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 09:33 PM

So than can we say Mitch is great at landing great talent through trade ,but management hasn't hired the right Scouts for players and Mitch didn't look into getting young talent to replace our core group when they retire instead of burning out our older core

The front office's mistake is they changed course this off season and went the super team route instead of doing what they did that got us two titles a few seasons ago.

Obviously we thought having a super team was great but that wasn't the case looking back on it.

During our last two titles, Mitch did a good job of bringing in players that were young but serviceable players like Ariza, Brown, etc. This time around they went for it all because Kobe's age and they pissed away draft picks in the process.

In hindsight, the front office panicked and went all in for the present, not accounting for the future, all while not planning for injuries and other problems.

This isn't all on Mitch though. This is also on Jim Buss and Jerry Buss, who still signs off on decisions. Collectively our front office screwed up by not planning head. They rolled the dice on the present and lost.

#73 Jackson

Jackson

All-Star

• 5,662 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant/Kareem/Sasha(LOL)

Posted January 20, 2013 - 09:34 PM

Mitch has to take a lot of the blame, but to his credit, he did try to get Chris Paul, trade Pau, and get younger. When Stern nuked that trade, all hell broke loose making the Mitch try to start over and figure everything out again. That's a monumental task. Getting players at the lowest price was their mission and they did that, with Jamison and Meeks. Unfortunately, these guys are total trash. Lakers really did not have many options. Were they handcuffed? Or simply lazy?

They worked so hard on the Dwight trade, I'm sure they were strapped on time for other players. I have to wonder if Rudy Tomjanovich has been giving some bad consulting to Mitch.

But, a lot of the problems stem from coaching.

A big problem is that the bench is awful, as usual, and there is no depth at 1 and 2.

If you're going to run an offense that relies on the guards, you have to teach them to run an offense with confidence. Duhon and Morris took a combined two shots in the Raptors game. Your point guards have to be able to score. Also, running an offense that relies so much on a 38 year old point guard is absurd.

Morris played 2-4 mins.

#74 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 21,344 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 09:34 PM

And it's not just scouting talent. Plenty of under 30 proven players have been available for the MLE over the years.

But, the Lakers used their MLEs on old guys when it was bigger, and bad younger players the last 2 seasons.

Well that's tough to say because we can say "This player was available" or "We should have signed that guy" but as fans we only know as much as we get through reports on TV or the Internet.

#75 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,039 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 09:38 PM

Well that's tough to say because we can say "This player was available" or "We should have signed that guy" but as fans we only know as much as we get through reports on TV or the Internet.

All I know is that the Lakers have consistently gotten bad players. I don't think that's by bad luck.

Under that logic, we don't know if anybody is doing a bad job because we don't see what's going on behind closed doors.

Posted Image

#76 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 21,344 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 09:49 PM

All I know is that the Lakers have consistently gotten bad players. I don't think that's by bad luck.

Under that logic, we don't know if anybody is doing a bad job because we don't see what's going on behind closed doors.

Um no cause its not the same situation.

We KNOW that Mitch, Jerry, and Jim make the decisions. They have defined roles in the organization that make them decision makers. The blame goes to them when things don't go well.

We DON'T KNOW what free agent players are looking for, if they want to be a Laker, etc. All we hear about free agents is whether they are interested or if the Lakers are interested. You almost never hear why the Lakers didn't get a certain player.

My point is that it's easy for us to look at the Lakers not getting a player and calling the front office stupid. Which is fine but what I'm saying is that more times than not, there are reasons unknown to the fans why it didn't happen.

#77 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,039 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 09:55 PM

Um no cause its not the same situation.

We KNOW that Mitch, Jerry, and Jim make the decisions. They have defined roles in the organization that make them decision makers. The blame goes to them when things don't go well.

We DON'T KNOW what free agent players are looking for, if they want to be a Laker, etc. All we hear about free agents is whether they are interested or if the Lakers are interested. You almost never hear why the Lakers didn't get a certain player.

My point is that it's easy for us to look at the Lakers not getting a player and calling the front office stupid. Which is fine but what I'm saying is that more times than not, there are reasons unknown to the fans why it didn't happen.

But it consistently happens though. The Lakers have had awful role players for years, even during the back to back championships. Mitch signed Luke Walton and Sasha Vujacic to big extensions.

Because the Lakers have frequently had bad role players for many years, you have to question whether or not the Lakers are going after the right players.

It's hard to believe that it's because the right players are never available to the Lakers every single time.

Posted Image

#78 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 21,344 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 10:04 PM

But it consistently happens though. The Lakers have had awful role players for years, even during the back to back championships. Mitch signed Luke Walton and Sasha Vujacic to big extensions.

Because the Lakers have frequently had bad role players for many years, you have to question whether or not the Lakers are going after the right players.

It's hard to believe that it's because the right players are never available to the Lakers every single time.

I question it, I'm not saying we should assume the Lakers haven't made mistakes on players, I was just pointing out that really don't know the EXACT reason for why players don't sign here.

They definitely need to switch it up with their thinking when it comes to getting players. I've always wondered why we don't go after those blue collar type players that bust their ass, diving for loose balls, flying into the stands. We need players that play hard and aren't afraid to mix it up.

That's a big reason why we won our last two titles because we had attitude. This team really has Kobe and Metta. The rest don't have that attitude from what I've seen and we have gotten punked the last two seasons from teams around the league.

#79 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,023 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 10:13 PM

Mitch is a guy who believes in veterans. He said it himself.
What pisses me off sometimes is when the Lakers trade their draft picks to shed salary.
We went all in for this year. Management believed, and so many fans did as well, that this was a championship roster before the playoffs started. No one expected this mess to happen. The Lakers thinking in my opinion is that we were going to win the championship thks season or the next. Two years later, after recently winning one and with Dwight as your star and cap space to spare, they could sign a top free agent and build around them. Again, that's my thinking.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#80 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,919 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 10:19 PM

What a load of BS. He put 4 hall of fame players together. 3 of them have underperformed due to injuries or whatever mental reason (Pau) Not his fault

Mitch will be one of the last people to leave the Lakers. He aint going nowhere

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users