• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#41 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,173 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 04:44 PM

It's all about results not expectations

The talent is there. It's now the coach's responsibility to make it work.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#42 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,037 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 20, 2013 - 05:02 PM

Mitch doesn't need to go

Whoever signed off on the two Mikes needs to go, whoever decided to keep Pau needs to go.

Jerry Buss pulled the trigger for D'Antoni, but I wouldn't blame him. I thought D'Antoni would be smart enough to cater an offense to this roster instead of let his love of Nash influence everything.

#43 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted January 20, 2013 - 05:06 PM

That would be incredibly stupid to fire the best GM in the business.
htCCl0m.png

#44 fedefox

fedefox

Guilty By Affiliation

• 5,979 posts
  • Name:Federico Mauccione
  • Fan Since:Since my father showed me a Lakers tape, when I was 4
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant - Derek Fisher

Posted January 20, 2013 - 05:07 PM

In all reality is Mitch Kupcheks legacy really that good?
he traded away shaq.... and had a horrible team until 2008 when we got Pau
and now he has assembled this team together with the coach and we are well below .500... with no draft picks no young talent or anything... I applaud him for getting Steve Nash and Dwight Howard I think those were legitimate transactions.. but those transactions are not giving us the results that we need/want...

Second Round Exit 2003
Finals 2004
didn't make playoffs 2005
First round Exit 2006
First Round Exit 2007
Finals 2008
Champions 2009
Champions 2010
Second Round Exit 2011
Second Round Exit 2012
didn't make the playoffs 2013

So since he's been here we've made 4 Finals Appearances and have won twice with a team he put together...
and The team he put Together was pretty much Kobe, Pau, Odom, and Bynum...

and one of those finals appearances really go to Jerry West because of the Shaq and Kobe Duo he put together

Tell me 2 teams that have been to the finals 4 times from the west, or even east in the last decade. This past decade has been all about us and the Spurs, since 1999 we won 9 championships combined and 11 outta 12 West Conf Championships.
There's arguably no team that has had more success than us in the last decade, 4 NBA Finals appearences, maybe it sound easy for you, to me it's really hard to accomplish

There's 31 other teams out there trying to get to the finals also and almost 10 that are really serious about it, you make it look like we didnt face any good team in the years we didnt win, thats not the case, the two finals we lost, we did to teams that were built to be champions

Edited by fedefox, January 20, 2013 - 05:11 PM.

Posted Image
"I don't like it when you call me Big Poppa, from South Central n' I hate helycopters"
I REP THAT WEST

#45 Alpha Four

Alpha Four

Fugitive Alien

• 501 posts
  • Fan Since:1992

Posted January 20, 2013 - 05:23 PM

I wish the team was owned by the fans. Then we could vote on certain things, like who to hire at HC. I think 98% of us would have voted Phil.

Lol no.

MDADefense_zpsb51f57fb.jpg

#46 Honey Boo Boo

Honey Boo Boo

I <3 Weezy's Lil' Wayne

• 1,486 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Eminem

Posted January 20, 2013 - 05:40 PM

Most important people in this mess franchise right now -

Kobe
Mitch
Everyone else
Posted Image

#47 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,116 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 06:13 PM

Tell me 2 teams that have been to the finals 4 times from the west, or even east in the last decade. This past decade has been all about us and the Spurs, since 1999 we won 9 championships combined and 11 outta 12 West Conf Championships.
There's arguably no team that has had more success than us in the last decade, 4 NBA Finals appearences, maybe it sound easy for you, to me it's really hard to accomplish

There's 31 other teams out there trying to get to the finals also and almost 10 that are really serious about it, you make it look like we didnt face any good team in the years we didnt win, thats not the case, the two finals we lost, we did to teams that were built to be champions

Our franchise is successful but my point is... Mitch really a person we can't fire? somebody that is irreplaceable?... Like I said he got us to 3 finals appearances and we won twice and now with his recent transactions we are faced with no draft picks, with a Lottery Team that isn't going to head into the playoffs and won't be able to sign anybody till after next season

#48 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 2,050 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted January 20, 2013 - 06:19 PM

Good discussion. I agree with Cj200nw for the most part. For many years, the Lakers have mortgaged the future to try to win "now". Eventually that cacthes up to you ... and here we are. Who made this series of decisions that has resulted in an ancient roster, a bloated payroll, a bad record, clueless coaches and no draft picks? Well, Mitch is the GM so we start there, but the owner(s) bear responsibility as well.

Edited by LakerGeezer, January 20, 2013 - 06:21 PM.

Debbie Downer

#49 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,376 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 20, 2013 - 07:32 PM

The GM gets the green light from the owner. The owner says yay or nay.. I am not in favor of firing Mitch.
Yes the Laker will be paying big in 30 mil in luxury taxes...BUT if the Lakers were winning it wouldn't matter, we'd all be saying money well spent.... Unfortunately we are not and the fingers are starting to get pointed.... You took a gamble on two Mikes and Dwight.... So far, it's a mess. In this Mikes defense..... He hasn't had an off season with this team, nor has this team been 100% healthy this whole season... Now to play devils advocate..... His rotation experiments, dissing Pau ( rightfully so) and his pure stupidity in not using the bigs correctly and allowing every player hoist up jumper after jumper is just WOMPS!

The homer in me feels this team can make the playoffs, but every loss like this one...... Makes it harder and harder to believe it.
Posted Image

#50 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,239 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted January 20, 2013 - 07:41 PM

Our franchise is successful but my point is... Mitch really a person we can't fire? somebody that is irreplaceable?... Like I said he got us to 3 finals appearances and we won twice and now with his recent transactions we are faced with no draft picks, with a Lottery Team that isn't going to head into the playoffs and won't be able to sign anybody till after next season

THE GUY TURNED LOW VALUE 1st ROUNDERS AND ANDREW BYNUM INTO DWIGHT FREAKIN HOWARD AND STEVE NASH.

If you were in his position you wouldn't have taken that Nash deal? You wouldn't have taken that Dwight deal?

#51 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,116 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 07:43 PM

THE GUY TURNED LOW VALUE 1st ROUNDERS AND ANDREW BYNUM INTO DWIGHT FREAKIN HOWARD AND STEVE NASH.

If you were in his position you wouldn't have taken that Nash deal? You wouldn't have taken that Dwight deal?

You didn't read my other post did you?

#52 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,239 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 07:48 PM

You didn't read my other post did you?

Your other post is basically telling me you are not satisfied with 2rings and 4 finals appearances in 10 years.

#53 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,713 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s

Posted January 20, 2013 - 07:48 PM

don't think he's the problem...but i think all of us know significantly less about what goes down behind the lakers closed doors than we'd like to think

Posted Image

#54 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,239 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 07:50 PM

don't think he's the problem...but i think all of us know significantly less about what goes down behind the lakers closed doors than we'd like to think

Exactly. There is A LOT we don't know.

#55 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 20, 2013 - 08:01 PM

He's made great moves to get really good players, but he's also failed to put together complete rosters over the years.

The Lakers have had a lot of bad supporting casts over the years, and this year has been no different. Coupled with the fact that the Nash signing has proven to be a mistake and his mishandling of Pau, I think it's completely justified that his job is on the line.

Posted Image

#56 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,037 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted January 20, 2013 - 08:14 PM

Right now what Jim Buss or Mitch or whoever needs to do is go down to D'Antoni's office and say, "Change the system or you're out of here." Then let's see who's on the hot seat.

#57 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,129 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted January 20, 2013 - 08:20 PM

Good discussion. I agree with Cj200nw for the most part. For many years, the Lakers have mortgaged the future to try to win "now". Eventually that cacthes up to you ... and here we are. Who made this series of decisions that has resulted in an ancient roster, a bloated payroll, a bad record, clueless coaches and no draft picks? Well, Mitch is the GM so we start there, but the owner(s) bear responsibility as well.

lol so just cuz the championships aren't now then that means we failed. Can't get everything right all the time.

#58 Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Rookie

• 393 posts
  • Fan Since:@birth

Posted January 20, 2013 - 08:22 PM

lol so just cuz the championships aren't now then that means we failed. Can't get everything right all the time.

[expletive] the process. We're spoiled and demand championships every season.

#59 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,050 posts
  • Name:Pat
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 20, 2013 - 08:33 PM

I agree with the Lakers going for it now, but the Lakers just didn't "go for it now" correctly like the Spurs have.

The Spurs surrounded their older core with the correct players. The have a good mix of youth and experience on their team. The Lakers just have all old players. Most of the young players the Lakers have gotten over the years are bad.

Posted Image

#60 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,418 posts

Posted January 20, 2013 - 08:34 PM

Our fan base is arrogant as hell when we win and a bunch of [expletive]es when we lose.

This season is part of being a fan. Not everyone understands that, especially the younger ones, but you have years like this. Just be glad that the Lakers don't have many of them.

I'll take a bad season like this over being a fan of a team that misses the playoffs ten years in a row.

16 NBA titles and missing the playoffs only 5 times in its existence. I always know that the Lakers will be back sooner than later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users