Photo

Do you really want to see the Lakers make the playoffs?

• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#41 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,570 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted January 19, 2013 - 09:52 AM

Hell yes I want them to make the playoffs. I don't care if they get swept by the Clippers. Chris Paul can flop a million times throughout the series if he wants to, Blake can posterize the entire team and then just stand there with that stupid blank caveman-like stare while DJ runs around the court like a freakin clown because his BFF just scored two points, and Del Negro can stand on the sidelines with a clipboard, just like a real coach.

I'm not afraid to see the Lakers lose. It's basketball, I want to see them play. If you don't want to seem them in the playoffs, you're only a fan when the team is winning, that makes you a fairweather fan and that's weak.

Honestly there are only about 4 or 5 teams who are actual contenders right now (MIA, OKC, LAC, SAS, NYK). That doesn't mean that Bucks fans don't want to see their team in the playoffs. Blazers fans aren't going to sell their tickets because their team is playing someone better than them.

Some Lakers fans need to get off their high horses. New York is the Mecca of basketball, MSG is EVERY players favorite arena, it's the biggest market, rich owners, and guess what? They haven't won a 'ship since the 70's.

It's a game, by June there will be one winner and 29 losers. Odds are the Lakers will be one of the 29 more often than the one.

#42 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,432 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 19, 2013 - 10:19 AM

Some Charger fans (myself included) were wary of making the playoffs if it meant keeping Norv, etc.

I'm glad I wasn't alone haha.

#43 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,396 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 19, 2013 - 11:08 AM

To answer the original question of this thread.... Yes. 110% no doubt about it.

Despite contrary belief amongst Lakers fans, making the playoffs doesn't mean you win a title. We've saw that a couple years ago when we were going for a three-peat and got swept by the Mavs. How many fans before those playoffs were saying "I just hope we don't face the Mavs because they will more than likely sweep us".... No one. I don't even think Mavs fans were thinking that way.

Is this team equipped to win a title? Before the season 95% of the fan base said yes, no doubt about it. But after a rough start to the season, that changed. Why? The roster is the same, the only thing that is different is the coach and system we play. Many thought we'd win a title under Mike Brown and that was with many calling for him to be fired since the end of last season. I still believe fully this team was built for a playoff run, I said that before the season. Obviously this season hasn't gone the way we wanted it but there's nothing we can do about it. Despite that bad start, we are only three games out with plenty of time left in the season.

I just really laugh with this mindset of some of the fans here and really shows how spoiled this fan base is. We have teams like the Timberwolves and Rockets who fan bases are wishing and hoping their teams get into the playoffs meanwhile our fan base is talking about "Do we really want the Lakers to make the playoffs?" Think about that.

If the reason for you saying you don't want the Lakers to make the playoffs is because you're in all reality scared of the top seeds, well that's weak.

IF the Lakers make the playoffs, that will come down to us playing good basketball to get in. Get into the playoffs and the script stays the same when you're a team without HCA. Win one of the first two and you take home court away. In the playoffs, there are no back to backs, so that is very key with players like Steve Nash and Kobe Bryant, plus Dwight Howard who gets a day of rest for his back.

There are no positives to not making the playoffs. We can't talk about the lottery because we don't have a first rounder, we have an impending free agency with Dwight Howard, Kobe and Nash will both be getting older, and we don't have money to go out and rebuild this roster for another season.

With the Lakers, I'll take my chances in the playoffs where anything can happen. For most of you, you're scared of losing to a top seed because of the trash talk you'll get from other fans. So what? It's part of the game. The fact of the matter is that the only team that can talk after the playoffs is the one team holding up the Larry O'Brien trophy. As Lakers fans, we should know that's the only thing that matters in the end.

#44 Nego

Nego

El Duro

• 1,136 posts
  • Fan Since:Lakers traded for Kobe

Posted January 19, 2013 - 11:12 AM

I wouldn't put teams like the Bucks in the same category as the Lakers. We are a championship class organization of course if I was a Bucks fan I would want my team to make the playoffs regardless but for LA if we're making the playoffs it better be to win otherwise it would be considered a failure. Why do you think we make huge trades to contend?

Posted Image

#45 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,396 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 11:14 AM

I wouldn't put teams like the Bucks in the same category as the Lakers. We are a championship class organization of course if I was a Bucks fan I would want my team to make the playoffs regardless but for LA if we're making the playoffs it better be to win otherwise it would be considered a failure. Why do you think we make huge trades to contend?

The ultimate failure is to not make the playoffs. That's in fact embarrassing with the moves we made.

If this team gets into the playoffs, they will be there to win it all. The players are there to win a championship, they aren't there to lose in the first round. The fans may have a different mindset, but the players play to win.

#46 Nego

Nego

El Duro

• 1,136 posts
  • Fan Since:Lakers traded for Kobe

Posted January 19, 2013 - 11:51 AM

To answer the original question of this thread.... Yes. 110% no doubt about it.

Despite contrary belief amongst Lakers fans, making the playoffs doesn't mean you win a title. We've saw that a couple years ago when we were going for a three-peat and got swept by the Mavs. How many fans before those playoffs were saying "I just hope we don't face the Mavs because they will more than likely sweep us".... No one. I don't even think Mavs fans were thinking that way.

Is this team equipped to win a title? Before the season 95% of the fan base said yes, no doubt about it. But after a rough start to the season, that changed. Why? The roster is the same, the only thing that is different is the coach and system we play. Many thought we'd win a title under Mike Brown and that was with many calling for him to be fired since the end of last season. I still believe fully this team was built for a playoff run, I said that before the season. Obviously this season hasn't gone the way we wanted it but there's nothing we can do about it. Despite that bad start, we are only three games out with plenty of time left in the season.

I just really laugh with this mindset of some of the fans here and really shows how spoiled this fan base is. We have teams like the Timberwolves and Rockets who fan bases are wishing and hoping their teams get into the playoffs meanwhile our fan base is talking about "Do we really want the Lakers to make the playoffs?" Think about that.

If the reason for you saying you don't want the Lakers to make the playoffs is because you're in all reality scared of the top seeds, well that's weak.

IF the Lakers make the playoffs, that will come down to us playing good basketball to get in. Get into the playoffs and the script stays the same when you're a team without HCA. Win one of the first two and you take home court away. In the playoffs, there are no back to backs, so that is very key with players like Steve Nash and Kobe Bryant, plus Dwight Howard who gets a day of rest for his back.

There are no positives to not making the playoffs. We can't talk about the lottery because we don't have a first rounder, we have an impending free agency with Dwight Howard, Kobe and Nash will both be getting older, and we don't have money to go out and rebuild this roster for another season.

With the Lakers, I'll take my chances in the playoffs where anything can happen. For most of you, you're scared of losing to a top seed because of the trash talk you'll get from other fans. So what? It's part of the game. The fact of the matter is that the only team that can talk after the playoffs is the one team holding up the Larry O'Brien trophy. As Lakers fans, we should know that's the only thing that matters in the end.

I still believe this team is equipped to make a deep playoff run I haven't changed my mind about that but it doesn't mean we will make it deep into the playoffs. All I'm saying is why make it by a hair if we're playing like crap and don't deserve it.

Teams like the Wolves, Rockets etc. cannot be compared to us we win championships and make deep playoffs runs at least, those other teams just strive to make the playoffs and be competitive.

Just because we make the playoffs doesn't mean we'll be playing great basketball If this team actually goes on a tear and plays very well showing they have actually fixed some issues then we could and should finish around the 6th heck maybe even 5th seed. It's definitely not about being scared its actually very simple if we make the playoffs by playing bad basketball like we have been and not improving then you bet that we will get swept its not easy beating the currently top teams in the west which by the way we haven't beaten not even once this season.

All I'm saying is that I would like to see an improved Laker team in the playoffs and not a team that will get bounced like trash in the first round.

Posted Image

#47 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,934 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted January 19, 2013 - 11:55 AM

Despite contrary belief amongst Lakers fans, making the playoffs doesn't mean you win a title.

:hmm:

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#48 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,350 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted January 19, 2013 - 12:21 PM

its over

Germanys Craziest & Finest LA Lakers Fan #Manaro90

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

#49 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,098 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 19, 2013 - 12:59 PM

*shrug*

Pau Gasol is GONE

#50 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,151 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 01:04 PM

I still believe that if we sneak into the playoffs, we can defeat anyone and win it all. However, change needs to be done.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#51 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,396 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 01:13 PM

:hmm:

Thank you for quoting that part. I butchered the [expletive] out of that lol

#52 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,396 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 01:15 PM

its over

This coming from the guy that essentially called out Jack Nicholson for not being a real fan cause he left his seat early.

#53 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,136 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted January 19, 2013 - 01:20 PM

Get Em Johnny! fake Manaro

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#54 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,934 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted January 19, 2013 - 01:28 PM

Thank you for quoting that part. I butchered the [expletive] out of that lol

Okay, I was curious. I do that all the time.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#55 Projekt

Projekt

Sixth Man

• 3,062 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Derek Fisher

Posted January 19, 2013 - 02:39 PM

Anything can happen in the playoffs. If we miss the playoffs that'd just be pathetic and depressing.

This isn't baseball or hockey. You don't sneak into the playoffs and win the championship.

#56 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,211 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted January 19, 2013 - 02:45 PM

This isn't baseball or hockey. You don't sneak into the playoffs and win the championship.

I dont think us rolling into the playoffs after winning 65-70% of our last 43 games is "sneaking in"

#57 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,207 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted January 20, 2013 - 12:59 PM

I dont think us rolling into the playoffs after winning 65-70% of our last 43 games is "sneaking in"

Any indication that will be happening. Lets talk about reality now.

#58 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,926 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 20, 2013 - 01:03 PM

At this point, no.

I want this team to get punished for the terrible play they've had all year long. Rewarding them with a playoff appearance after the shameful way they've represented the jersey, the city and the fans is not what these guys need.

They need a butt kicking, and a hard one to wake them up.

Besides they'd be out in 4 or 5 games in the first round anyway, which does nobody any good anyway.

#59 fedefox

fedefox

Guilty By Affiliation

• 5,979 posts
  • Name:Federico Mauccione
  • Fan Since:Since my father showed me a Lakers tape, when I was 4
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant - Derek Fisher

Posted January 20, 2013 - 01:25 PM

What kinda question is this? Of course I do, who wouldnt? Im not a fan of this go fishing and recharge for next year, nah, give me the playoffs and most of all, give me a shot to get better THIS year. You never know what can happen next year, I'll take now over tomorrow every day of the week

Edited by fedefox, January 20, 2013 - 01:26 PM.

Posted Image
"I don't like it when you call me Big Poppa, from South Central n' I hate helycopters"
I REP THAT WEST

#60 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,793 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted January 20, 2013 - 01:33 PM

Good question. Under normal circumstances (like a lottery team with a meaningful draft pick) I would say no, since there is not much damage this flawed team can do in the playoffs anyway.

But yeah, I'd like to see them make it, get bounced early and learn from the mistakes. Maybe just maybe the FO will wake up and realize that this is not the way to build a roster for the long term. Didnt work with the Payton/Malone/ Kobe/ Shaq iteration and it is worse this time around.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users