MadSci

Stay Gold

• 4,752 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 17, 2013 - 12:15 AM

Lakers address Heat and expectations

By Arash Markazi
ESPNLosAngeles.com

LOS ANGELES -- Miami Heat forward LeBron James recently said the Los Angeles Lakers haven't had to go through the same level of scrutiny he and the Heat did two seasons ago.

On Wednesday, Kobe Bryant responded as only he can.

"What does it matter?" Bryant said. "What does he want, a cookie for that?"

The Lakers will play the Heat on Thursday with both teams looking for a win rather than bragging rights about dealing with expectations and adversity.

In 2010-2011 when James joined forces with Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh in Miami, the Heat started the season 9-8 before finishing 58-24 and losing to the Dallas Mavericks in the NBA Finals. This season, the Lakers with Bryant, Dwight Howard, Steve Nash and Pau Gasol are 17-21. Various injuries to Howard, Nash and Gasol have prevented the Lakers' core from playing together at the same time much this season.

Howard said he understood where James was coming from with his comments, considering the widespread backlash James received after announcing his decision to take his "talents to South Beach" during a nationally televised special.

"Most people hated LeBron for what he did and how he did it," Howard said. "Not just that he left, but the manner that he left as far as doing it on TV and the whole thing. In this situation, I don't think people have hate for the Lakers for [trading for Howard and Nash]. I think that's a little bit different. As far as pressure, with our team, everyone expected us to go 82-0 so there's a lot of pressure on us. We feel it every time we step on the court and we can hear it every time we miss a shot or somebody scores. People are upset. They don't expect anybody to score on us. It's a lot of pressure."

Howard said he was actually pulling for James to win a championship last season as Howard recovered from back surgery.

"I was happy for him," Howard said. "I was mad that I was hurt. I had to watch the Finals in bed, but I was happy to see him overcome things people were saying and all the things he had to go through from leaving Cleveland.

"We all have different paths that we have to take. I'm on my path and he's on his. We both want to win, that's why we play this game. He's had three times to win a championship and last time it worked for him. Hopefully it won't take me that long."

Howard also addressed criticism he received from former Laker Robert Horry, who was a guest on ESPNLA 710 on Tuesday and said he would like to see Howard more serious and focused and not smile as much.

"I'm going to continue to be me," Howard said. "I'm going to continue to do what I do. It's made me successful the last nine years. I'm not going to stop smiling. This is what I do for a living and if you have a problem with me smiling we can talk about it. I'm playing basketball. I get paid a lot of money to play basketball.

"I'm going to have fun and I don't care who has a problem with it. He had his time. His time has come and gone. Don't try to tell me how I need to play because I think it's stupid. I never judged him on how he played. Just because I smile and have fun doesn't mean I don't take this game seriously. I don't want anybody to ever get that twisted. I came here to win championships and I came here to dominate but I'm going to do it with a smile on my face."

The North Remembers

• 40,364 posts

Posted January 17, 2013 - 12:19 AM

Those are some fightin' words by Dwight, damn haha. Wonder if they'll bring this up on the next Lakers' Access Sportsnet Pre-Game or Post-Game with Rob in the studio. That'll make for some interest.

yo.

#3 MadSci

MadSci

Stay Gold

• 4,752 posts

Posted January 17, 2013 - 12:24 AM

Those are some fightin' words by Dwight, damn haha. Wonder if they'll bring this up on the next Lakers' Access Sportsnet Pre-Game or Post-Game with Rob in the studio. That'll make for some interest.

Lol, that would be good television. Howard just fed up, first Shaq now Horry.

Edited by MadSci, January 17, 2013 - 12:24 AM.

The North Remembers

• 40,364 posts

Posted January 17, 2013 - 12:27 AM

Even James Worthy had a lot of critical comments towards Dwight BEFORE he came here. Haven't heard any since he's been here, but who knows.

yo.

#5 Phil Jackson

Phil Jackson

Rookie

• 158 posts
  • Name:Phil Jackson
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted January 17, 2013 - 12:52 AM

They have to tone it down when they're doing analysis for TWC Sportsnet. I don't really like the new channel. Dave Miller needs to go back to radio and they need to get someone hotter than Andy Adler if they're going to continue shoving generic fluff pieces down our throats. I don't mind Horry, he deserves a pass for that game-winning shot against the Kings in 02.

Horry admitted that he has to tone down his takes for the network broadcast but was more willing to speak freely at the event.

http://www.latimes.c...er&dlvrit=53297

• 40,364 posts

Posted January 17, 2013 - 12:58 AM

they need to get someone hotter than Andy Adler.

Hotter? She's not even hot, but I get you & I agree. I mean if you're gonna' bring in a chick who's not even attractive, the least she can possess is some smarts, but she doesn't even bring much to the table mentally either so she's practically unqualified. Terrible hire, terrible decision.

While we're somewhat on it too, Billy Mac and his "foody calls" can go for all I care as well.

yo.

#7 Rad

Rad

• 1,613 posts

Posted January 17, 2013 - 01:01 AM

LOL, "not smile as much".. basketball, serious business.

• 40,364 posts

Posted January 17, 2013 - 01:05 AM

If Dwight was still smiling the way he does while putting up Pau-like numbers, then yes, I could certainly see how people could get upset, but that's just not the case. The guy is still producing at an All-Star level at not even 100%. You've gotta' go with Dwight on this one imo.

yo.

#9 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted January 17, 2013 - 01:20 AM

No one ever had a problem when Shaq would always, but they do now with Dwight. You can't ask someone to change their personality at this juncture. You are what you are. Dwight is a terrific player who loves to goof around alot, I have no problem as long as he plays solid basketball.
htCCl0m.png

#10 Nego

Nego

El Duro

• 1,135 posts
  • Fan Since:Lakers traded for Kobe

Posted January 17, 2013 - 03:10 AM

These old retired players need to lay off the guy seriously everyone just keeps throwing stuff at him I personally don't have a problem with how Dwight acts as long as he is playing well and he has since he came back.

Posted Image

#11 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,078 posts

Posted January 17, 2013 - 03:10 AM

He is who is. Dumb comment by Horry.

#12 lildvl10

lildvl10

Rookie

• 736 posts
  • Fan Since:6
  • Fav. Laker:kobe bryant

Posted January 17, 2013 - 03:27 AM

http://www.nba.com/l....nba/index.html

what do you guys think about c-webb's opinion on howard? saw this last night on nba tv for the lakers-heat preview

#13 Rad

Rad

• 1,613 posts

Posted January 17, 2013 - 03:27 AM

These old retired players need to lay off the guy seriously everyone just keeps throwing stuff at him I personally don't have a problem with how Dwight acts as long as he is playing well and he has since he came back.

Exactly.

#14 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&#

• 23,006 posts
  • Name:Kyler Hay
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Nash.Young, Farmar

Posted January 17, 2013 - 03:50 AM

to be honest, I haven't seen Dwight smiling or joking with the media lately in the practice videos and/or the post game interviews

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#15 MadSci

MadSci

Stay Gold

• 4,752 posts

Posted January 17, 2013 - 05:52 AM

Well it looks like Horry isn't stopping there, he has also called out Kobe on his defense.

http://www.foxsports...675&feedID=3707

The North Remembers

#16 RayRay

RayRay

Sixth Man

• 3,522 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 96
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Hobe

Posted January 17, 2013 - 07:18 AM

I never understood why people gave a ish if he smiles or not as long as hes playing hard.
Theres a reason hes Dwight Howard and the best center in the league and hes been smiling the whole time.

IF his game gets worse and hes goofing around, then I understand people should get mad.
His game so far this season (until recently) obviously hasn't been his best but hes getting used to a new offense and a new team and also recovering from back surgery at the same time.

If he decides to ditch the smiles, it wont make us a championship team.
only Kobe can stop Kobe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users