Photo

Manti Te’o's girlfriend, who supposedly died in September, never existed according to Deadspin

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#41 Projekt

Projekt

Sixth Man

• 3,062 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Derek Fisher

Posted January 17, 2013 - 04:29 PM

- Knew her since 2009, never met in person

- "Love of his life" is in car accident that leaves her on life support, never visits her in the hospital

- During recovery from car accident, doctors discover that she has leukemia, again never visits her in the hospital

- She dies, doesn't go to the funeral at the previous request of this girl who only asked for him to send white roses to her when she passed

If we've learned anything it's that you shouldn't date Manti Te'o. He was just as absent as his fake girlfriend.

#42 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 17, 2013 - 05:05 PM

Okay, i do not follow college football... (gave up once the BCS game into existence, said i would never watch another game until playoffs were in college)

BUT WHAT IN THE WORLD IS GOING ON HERE!!!
If i could post a clip of Stan from south park, saying

"This is pretty #*(&#$ up right here..."

I would, but i cannot find the clip...

But seriously...
What is going on here?
And how did it take so long for this to be found out?

#43 Projekt

Projekt

Sixth Man

• 3,062 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Derek Fisher

Posted January 17, 2013 - 06:05 PM

It took so long because everybody liked the story that was being told: A young star battling through personal loss and bringing a storied football program back to glory.

Death is also such a sensitive subject. The last thing people want to do is question it because it isn't something people typically lie about and will only make the person feels that much worse.

I will say this though, it's inexcusable for the media to not do their research prior to making all these articles.

#44 Game

Game

Your Daddy

• 10,872 posts
  • Fan Since:Late '80s
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 17, 2013 - 06:50 PM

whole thing is dirty...

Posted Image

#45 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,244 posts

Posted January 17, 2013 - 09:02 PM

Wow, another bizarre twist

Lennay Kekua, Manti Te’o’s fake girlfriend, might not be so fake after all.

Arizona Cardinals fullback Reagan Mauia told ESPN that he not only knew Kekua, but that he was close with her family.

***record scratch***

This after Notre Dame athletics director Jack Swarbrick held a press conference – a tearful press conference – Wednesday claiming Te’o had been the victim of an elaborate hoax created by a host of perpetrators who conspired to make Te’o fall in love and subsequently lose Kekua in grandiose fashion.

But Mauia said Notre Dame might have been misinformed. He said he met Kekua in person when he went to do charity work in American Samoa with Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Troy Polamalu and several other Polynesians back in June 2011.

"This was before her and Manti," Mauia said Wednesday evening. "I don't think Manti was even in the picture, but she and I became good friends. We would talk off and on, just checking up on each other kind of thing. I am close to her family. When she was going through the loss of her father, I was... I offered a comforting shoulder and just someone to bounce her emotions off. That was just from meeting her in Samoa."

"She was tall," he said. "Volleyball-type of physique. She was athletic, tall, beautiful. Long hair. Polynesian. She looked like a model ... "

He said it is his understanding that Kekua's mother is operating her Twitter account. He said he'd never met her mother. When told by a reporter that she apparently might not have existed, Mauia said: "No, she is real."

Is it possible there are two Lennay Kekua’s? Sure, but that would be one heck of a coincidence.

If you’re not familiar, here’s the short version:

Te’o’s girlfriend, Lennay Kekua, passed away on Sept. 12 after a short battle with leukemia. It was the same day Te'o's grandmother passed. Te’o, heartbroken, shared the story with the media and of course the media ran with it. Unbeknownst to Te’o, the girlfriend wasn’t real and he was the victim of an elaborate hoax.

[Related: ND presents believable explanation for Manti Te'o girlfriend hoax]

Or at least that’s what we’ve been told.

Both Notre Dame and Te’o, who issued a statement Wednesday afternoon, said the hoax was cruel and detailed how the entire play went down. Te’o said they had met online and Swarbrick confirmed the entire relationship was online. Swarbrick also said – but didn’t elaborate – that the university hired a firm to investigate the woman, who called Te’o on Dec. 6 and told him she wasn’t actually dead. And that firm seemed to confirm Te’o’s story.

It all seemed fishy considering there were quotes from Te’o’s dad that said the two had met and there was a description of the initial meeting at Stanford. But Swarbrick said Te’o told him that every time he wanted to meet Kekua, she’d come up with an excuse not to.

So who to believe?

Mauia said he met Kekua in June 2011 and he said he thought that was before Te’o met her. The story in the South Bend Tribune claims Te’o met Kekua at Stanford in 2009. Te’o’s father, Brian, said the two have carried on a relationship since that time and said the two met when they were home in Hawaii. He even went as far as to as to say that he thought she could be his daughter-in-law, though it’s unclear whether he’d ever met her.

According to Swarbrick, Te’o’s parents didn’t know the truth about the relationship until Te’o told them on Dec. 26.

[Related: Manti Te'o's girlfriend: a tall tale everyone wanted to believe]

What we can glean from Te’o’s statement was that he was duped for three years before he finally realized – after his dead girlfriend called him claiming not to actually be dead – that this was a hoax.

Naïve, gullible or lying? You decide.

Also, On Dec. 8, two days after Te'o supposedly found out his girlfriend was not dead, he told media at the Heisman Trophy presentation: "I don't like cancer at all. I lost both my grandparents and my girlfriend to cancer."

Um.... no you didn't. Unless it was a different girlfriend.

We’ve yet to hear from Te’o other than the statement. Swarbrick said that he would address the media soon. But it’s hard to believe Te’o was the victim of a hoax when so many holes continue to be punched in his story.

- - -

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/arizona-cardinals-fullback-manti-te-os-fake-girlfriend-051106606--ncaaf.html

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#46 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted January 17, 2013 - 11:37 PM

This story fascinates me...

If this could go by so long...
What other lies are being spoon fed to the media, and having the media run with it?

Whats more likely?
This is A once in a decade lie?
Or...
That we are so inendated with LIES and propaganda, we can be spoon fed any BS and accept it...

I believe it is the latter

• 40,603 posts

Posted January 17, 2013 - 11:57 PM

Surprised nobody's posted this yet, but fyi and for what it's worth, ESPN's Bob Holtzman today reported that he spoke with a teammate or more of MT's and he/they told him that he and a lot of other teammates already knew MT never had a real GF, but that supposedly when MT knew how much attention he was getting with the story, he decided that it would be cool to ride it out and keep it going and also that he would semi-brag about seeing himself on TV with the inspirational pieces/feel-good stories about him. Others on campus said that they feel betrayed.

yo.

#48 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted January 18, 2013 - 07:37 AM

^ thought that was "common knowledge"?

Edited by Windu, January 18, 2013 - 07:37 AM.

Pau Gasol is GONE

#49 BleedPurple&Gold

BleedPurple&Gold

All-Star

• 6,487 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic

Posted January 18, 2013 - 11:37 AM

Friend: Tuiasosopo admitted to hoax

Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, the man who has been publicly identified as being behind the Manti Te'o girlfriend hoax, called a church friend in early December crying and admitted to duping the Heisman finalist, the friend told "Outside the Lines" Thursday.
The friend, a woman in her mid-20s, agreed to be interviewed under the condition that she not be identified, saying she was fearful for her family's safety because of the overwhelming publicity the story has generated. In the interview, she did allow for her voice to be recorded.

She said Tuiasosopo gave her the tearful confession and account of how he played what he said was at first a game on the unsuspecting Te'o. And, she said, he told her that it wasn't the first time he had done it.
"He (Ronaiah) told me that Manti was not involved at all, he was a victim. & The girlfriend was a lie, the accident was a lie, the leukemia was a lie," said the woman. "He was crying, he was literally crying, he's like 'I know, I know what I have to do.'
"It's not only Manti, but he was telling me that it's a lot of other people they had done this to."
Notre Dame issued a news release Wednesday after Deadspin.com reported it could find no record of Lennay Kekua, Te'o's supposed girlfriend, existing.
Notre Dame athletic director Jack Swarbrick said in a news conference Wednesday night that coaches were informed by Te'o and his parents on Dec. 26 that Te'o had been the victim of what appeared to be a hoax. Someone using a fictitious name "apparently ingratiated herself" with Te'o, the school said, then conspired with others to lead him to believe she had died of leukemia.
Swarbrick said that the relationship took place online and over the phone. Te'o had described staying on the phone with whom he thought was Kekua for hours each night over many months. Tuiasosopo's friend from church told ESPN that Tuiasosopo admitted to having his female cousin speak to Te'o over the phone.
Meanwhile, on Friday, an adviser to Te'o told ESPN's Jeremy Schaap that the linebacker has been huddling Friday morning with family members and a team of advisers, who are trying to determine the best way for him to address the controversy. The adviser, who's been part of the discussions, also said that all of the advisers are thoroughly convinced that Te'o is telling the truth in saying that he was a victim of a hoax.
OTL also interviewed two other people who said they have a cousin who had the same online hoax pulled on them by Tuiasosopo.

J.R. Vaosa, 28, of Torrance, Calif., and Celeste Tuioti-Mariner, 21, of Whittier, Calif., said that in 2008 their cousin began an online romance with a woman who portrayed herself as a model. Vaosa said the cousin showed Vaosa a picture on MySpace of a woman from a Victoria's Secret catalog that he said was Kekua. Vaosa said that the online Kekua would agree to meet his cousin at certain places. Vaosa said he went with the cousin to meet her.
"When Lennay said she was gonna be at this park one day, we'd go to the park and Ronaiah pops up and then we go to the gym in Orange County where the kids have volleyball tournaments, Ronaiah's there," Vaosa said.
Finally, the family convinced Vaosa's cousin that something wasn't right and he needed to cut things off not only with Kekua, but Tuiasosopo, whom they were convinced was the real Kekua, Tuioti-Mariner said.
"I just knew that my cousin would invite her to certain events and Lennay would always say she would go to those things, but she would never end up going and instead of her going we would see Ronaiah," Tuioti-Mariner said.
Then this fall, Vaosa and Tuioti-Mariner saw the story of Te'o's dying girlfriend.
"When I found out about the Samoan football player (and) his girlfriend, his Grandma died the same day, I was like, 'Whoa this is crazy,' I feel so bad for him, so I just looked him up," Vaosa said. "I found out his girlfriend's name was Lennay Kekua. And right when I read the name Lennay Kekua, I immediately thought of Ronaiah. Then I thought of my cousin -- that this has to be the same person."

The cousins said they were convinced Te'o was being victimized, but they were uncertain of what to do. They said they began tweeting their suspicions. Many of their tweets were laced with sarcasm including claims that they were the real Lennay Kekua. After Deadspin.com broke the story on Te'o and Swarbrick held a news conference, Vaosa and Tuioti-Mariner found reporters at their door and said threats were made to them and their families on Twitter.
Another person involved in the hoax has come forward as well. The woman whose photos were portrayed as Kekua was identified by "Inside Edition" as Diane O'Meara. Her lawyer told the program that her client is also a victim and that her photos were stolen and used to create the illusion of Te'o's girlfriend.
Deadspin.com reported in its original story that the woman whose images were used as Kekua's was actually a former high school classmate of Tuiasosopo and that he used a ruse to get her to send him at least one photo.
Meanwhile, the woman who says Tuiasosopo confessed to her said she has urged Tuiasosopo to take responsibility for his actions.
She said he called her Wednesday as the news of the hoax was breaking. She said he sounded calm but she worries about his guilt over what he did to Te'o and what he did to his family name, one of the most prominent in all of Polynesian sports. She worries what he might do to himself.
"I (still) am worried for him (Ronaiah), not just him and his family but I know that you can't judge people like that and that's why I continue to just encourage (him) to come out and tell the truth," she said.

http://espn.go.com/c...girlfriend-hoax

9888d4ba-ad6b-4879-93aa-9ef1c6ed1dbd_zps

• 40,603 posts

Posted January 18, 2013 - 04:42 PM

Good read on the Te'o situation:

http://www.grantland...all-teo-mailbag

yo.

#51 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,244 posts

Posted January 18, 2013 - 05:30 PM

Posted Image

TMZ is reporting today that Manti Te’o had a real girlfriend, Alexandra del Pilar, and dated her shortly after learning that his catfish girlfriend had died of leukemia. Pilar is a student at the all-girls school St. Mary’s College, which is across the road from Notre Dame.
A Busted Coverage investigation has resulted in the above photo of Manti and del Pilar enjoying the Christmas season (photo was uploaded December 18) on Santa’s (defensive tackle Louis Nix) lap, which was also still around the time that Te’o was pushing the fake girlfriend story. Notre Dame says Te’o told them about the fake girlfriend December 26.

A search of of del Pilar’s Twitter account shows that she only mentioned Te’o in three tweets between November 16 and January 7. The January tweet has been deleted but remains in the Twitter cache.
http://network.yardbarker.com/college_football/article_external/manti_teo_girlfriend_alexandra_del_pilar_with_santa_pilar_at_bcs/12694558?refmod=backyard&refdst=4574&refsrc=foxsports

Edited by Gotrings?, January 18, 2013 - 05:31 PM.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

• 40,603 posts

Posted January 18, 2013 - 05:38 PM

YIKES!!! How many more twists and turns can this story have?

Lennay Kekua told Manti Te’o she faked her death to evade drug dealers

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/lennay-kekau-told-manti-te-o-she-faked-222952624--ncaaf.html

Edited by    , January 18, 2013 - 05:42 PM.

yo.

#53 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will

Posted January 18, 2013 - 08:28 PM

Supposed to be an interview with manti in about 30 minutes on sportscenter

Pau Gasol is GONE

• 40,603 posts

Posted January 18, 2013 - 08:47 PM

^ I know. Bart Scott!

yo.

#55 Notorious Arab

Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts
  • Fan Since:When I came to the USA

Posted January 18, 2013 - 09:12 PM

There's way too many twists in this story. We may never know what really happened.

Posted Image

#56 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted January 18, 2013 - 09:52 PM

This story makes my stomach turn.
htCCl0m.png

• 40,603 posts

Posted January 18, 2013 - 09:55 PM

Just saw the latest on Sportscenter ala the recap with Jeremy Schaap on some things from the interview, still I must say, a lot of things don't add up. Too many holes. Have to hear more from Te'o directly about several lies he himself made when he definitively already knew she wasn't real.

yo.

#58 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted January 18, 2013 - 10:09 PM

Just saw the latest on Sportscenter ala the recap with Jeremy Schaap on some things from the interview, still I must say, a lot of things don't add up. Too many holes. Have to hear more from Te'o directly about several lies he himself made when he definitively already knew she wasn't real.

The interview did more harm than good IMO.

No cameras allowed and no recording devices. Sounds to me like the main guy who "pulled" the hoax, got a nice deal to take the blame for the whole thing.

Again, I do not see how you go almost four years without meeting your girlfriend. This is something that happens to a high school or middle school student. Not a student at the University of Notre Dame

• 40,603 posts

Posted January 18, 2013 - 10:16 PM

^ Yeah man, I'm reading tons of peoples' comments from several sites over this and most people still aren't buying it and I think rightfully so. This is still not going away anytime soon imo. As long as the public continues to be intrigued and demand more sense/truth from this guy, the media also won't let it go cause ultimately, the general public/social media has a big say in what gets covered.

Schaap was asked what's next for Te'o and not surprisingly said that Te'o is just hoping this slowly calms down after this 'interview' and goes away, well I'm sorry MT, but I just don't see that happening.

Edited by    , January 18, 2013 - 10:22 PM.

yo.

#60 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted January 18, 2013 - 10:36 PM

RT @BFeldmanCBS: RT @ChiTribHamilton Why didn't Te'o visit GF in hospital? Te'o to ESPN: "It never really crossed my mind. I don't know. I was in school."

Wow....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users