• Please log in to reply
127 replies to this topic

#1 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 15, 2013 - 11:49 PM

Thought this thread will come in handy as we get further along in the playoffs.

Important games tonight:

Lakers defeat Bucks

Nuggets defeat Blazers

Clippers defeat Rockets

As a result, Lakers now 3 games back of the 8th seed (Portland) and 3.5 games back of the 7th seed (Houston). Nuggets hold the 6th seed and are 6 games ahead of the Lakers.

Interesting to note that Houston is on a four game losing streak and will now go on a 4 game road trip (DAL / IND / MINN / CHA) and will play 7 of the next 9 on the road with their two home games being against Denver and Brooklyn.

#2 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted January 15, 2013 - 11:50 PM

I like our chances to make the playoffs. If we do watch out. When you have guys like Kobe, Nash, and Dwight you are very dangerous and could beat anybody in a seven game series. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they became the first 8th seed to ever win the championship. There's a first time for everything.

Edited by Cowboys&LakersFan, January 16, 2013 - 12:01 AM.

htCCl0m.png

#3 God Shammgod

God Shammgod

"Drink Hennessey straight, with tomato juice"

• 647 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 11:57 PM

If we can keep up our well rounded play on BOTH ENDS of the floor, and if Houston/Portland start to skid, we're in. Those are some of the biggest "if's" our organization and we as Laker fans have had to face, but if that's our chance I believe we can do it. :pray:

#4 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

Superstar

• 7,104 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted January 16, 2013 - 12:01 AM

I think Golden State will slip before Denver. McHale doesn't look like he's engaged and I think Houston's lack of talent OVERALL will hurt them as the season progresses. ONE injury for them hurts a ton.

The Blazers will be okay, but I think the recipe is get to .500 or so by the ASB and then get hot..win 5 of 6, and 4 of 6, and 3 of 5. Stev,Dwight and Kobe gotta stay healthy and we willmake it.

#5 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,243 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted January 16, 2013 - 12:02 AM

I actually went through the whole scheduale about an hour ago and made counted all the best teams as loss's and all the bad teams as wins and then the decent teams on wether we do well against them and came up with about 7-8 wins above .500. A majority of those wins come late in the schedule and we will be flirting with .500 for about 2 months.

Basically if we can win almos all the easy ones win more than less of the decent teams and maybe win one or 2 to teams like the thunder or miami then we defiantly have a great chance.

Now the last 2 games have been a good indicator that we are starting to beat the teams we should be but we have seen this before. If we want any chance we need to win the easy ones. They are even more important than the games verse teams like thunder, spurs, clipper, miami, etc because there are a lot more weaker teams we play than harder and especially in the last 4 weeks.

Edited by bigfetz, January 16, 2013 - 12:03 AM.

#6 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,859 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 01:22 AM

We are not in a position of looking on others schedule and scores because of the lack of consistency .. I do hope we at least have a streak of 7 or 8 games ,, if we could manage to win up to utah game or okc it will be great( 25 -21) or we could go 8-2 for the next ten games . Miami game will open doors for us ..

#7 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted January 16, 2013 - 01:26 AM

We are not in a position of looking on others schedule and scores because of the lack of consistency .. I do hope we at least have a streak of 7 or 8 games ,, if we could manage to win up to utah game or okc it will be great( 25 -21) or we could go 8-2 for the next ten games . Miami game will open doors for us ..

Posted Image

#8 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted January 16, 2013 - 01:27 AM

Dont expect the Rockets to drop any games other than maybe the one in Indy .
Posted Image

#9 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,037 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted January 16, 2013 - 01:53 AM

D'Antoni really needs to make some changes. Not sure if tonight was the start of that, but hopefully so. Using Kobe/Dwight more clearly gets us farther than the Suns offense ever could. I think just using those two will get the Lakers to a bottom playoff seed.

However to make an impactful playoff run, we'll need more than just that. First, an offensive designed to use Nash's shooting more and allow Kobe/Dwight to create. Then on defense, hopefully Dwight's improved health will yield better results, but we'll need a scheme of some sort involving baseline funneling to Dwight and necessary rotations on the PnR. Trading Pau for a defensive-minded player will help there.

#10 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,733 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted January 16, 2013 - 04:14 AM

This thread makes no sense if we lose to Miami on Thursday night.

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#11 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,037 posts
  • Fan Since:2004

Posted January 16, 2013 - 06:15 AM

It makes no sense when we're mathematically eliminated.

#12 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,573 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 16, 2013 - 06:19 AM

I disagree.
We're not going to go 44-0 from now until the end of the regular season and we don't NEED to get 40-some wins because of recent years' 8th seed wins. We need to do one thing: End up with a better record than 7 of the teams in the western conference. Today that means getting 4 more wins than Houston, Utah, Portland and Minnesota - or at least 3 of them.

Tonight the Heat play the Warriors which means we get them on the second night of a back-to-back, and they have been struggling a bit lately (6 losses in 10 games).

A few other games of interest tonight.
Denver at OKC. Denver needs to lose.
Houston at Dallas. Houston needs to lose, badly. Hopefully get a few suspensions.
Cleveland at Portland. Cleveland needs to win, but it'll be tough.
Miami at Golden State. Golden State needs to put up a massive fight, and lose in 5th OT.

#13 thrilla86

thrilla86

Rookie

• 219 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted January 16, 2013 - 07:27 AM

Miami is just one game, against an Eastern Conference opponent. Honestly in the W/L column it would mean a lot more if we were playing a Western Conference team in the playoff hunt.

#14 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,545 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted January 16, 2013 - 08:15 AM

Ive always believed we were going to make the playoffs...but I see so much flip flopping, just a week ago a good amount of people said this season was over lol

Edited by LakeShow805, January 16, 2013 - 08:15 AM.

#15 KjaX24

KjaX24

KjaX24

• 305 posts
  • Name:keith jackson
  • Fan Since:a wee little lad

Posted January 16, 2013 - 08:37 AM

People need to look at the Heat as of late. Look at them they are on a road trip where they have already went 1-4, there is something going on behind the scenes in the locker room.. I.E. Bosh and wade. They will be playing GS tonight and on a back to back will be facing a team that believe it or not is on the up swing as of right now that is. It is not un-realistic that the lakers DO win tomorrow. However on that note...IF they do win I am not proclaiming anything really due to the points I made at the beginning of my post.

Edited by kj24, January 16, 2013 - 08:39 AM.

#16 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,423 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 08:57 AM

If this thread doesn't make sense to you, DON'T POST IN IT.

Unfortunately for you guys, I know that over the coming days, weeks, and months, this forum will get threads like "Rockets lost, we need to win tonight" or we'll have our third "Next ten games" thread.

While this is for the fans that are interested in keeping track, it's also a way to limit a bunch of thread making over the coming weeks.

Again, don't come in here and say this thread doesn't make sense. Actually contribute to it or don't post at all in it.

#17 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,228 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted January 16, 2013 - 09:07 AM

All wins count as a win, all losses count as a loss. At the end of the season you can't make the playoffs because you beat OKC and won't get booted from the playoffs because you lost to the Cavs. Just play the schedule and try to win them all, even knowing that isn't realistic.

#18 JGuez

JGuez

Off The Bench

• 2,648 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 09:10 AM

Denver is more of a stretch but mine as well post it:

Tonight there's

DEN @ OKC
HOU @ DAL
CLE @ POR

Hopefully the bolded teams lose tonight.

Edited by JGuez, January 16, 2013 - 09:10 AM.

#19 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,848 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted January 16, 2013 - 09:38 AM

yikes...

this is what has happen to the mighty lakers...

looking ahead, HOPING to makethe playoffs

#20 KjaX24

KjaX24

KjaX24

• 305 posts
  • Name:keith jackson
  • Fan Since:a wee little lad

Posted January 16, 2013 - 09:55 AM

yikes...

this is what has happen to the mighty lakers...

looking ahead, HOPING to makethe playoffs

Well if you think about it... Who could of known Nash would of been injured for twenty some games, followed by injuries to their three bigs. Honestly, are we to believe if this team were healthy for the beginning of the season would their record be the same? I highly doubt it would, not saying they would be in the top five seed.. but come on we were having third and fourth string players having to put a lot on their shoulders.. Come to think of it, this city has had a lot of " luck " with eighth seed as of late. :nod:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users