Photo

Was the Bernie Bickerstaff era an anomaly?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Rookie

• 393 posts
  • Fan Since:@birth

Posted January 11, 2013 - 07:26 AM

I couldn't watch games during this period as I was w/o power from superstorm Sandy. I was only able to see box scores and judging on that alone isn't enough. Was Bernie just fortunate to take over the team for its once-a-month winning streak, like they did a few weeks ago going 6-1 under D'Antoni or were the Lakers doing something much different offensively and defensively?

#2 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,154 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted January 11, 2013 - 07:27 AM

Bernie geared the offense to the players attributes. Coach D does not.
Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#3 Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Rookie

• 393 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 07:40 AM

Can you elaborate? I'm very curious.

#4 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,154 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 08:16 AM

Can you elaborate? I'm very curious.

They really didnt care about setting up an offense everytime they were in half court setting. Sometimes they just ran down the court & gave the ball to D12 in the post 4 times in a row & allowed him to be more comfortable in his usual role. Sometimes they ran PnR, sometimes they ran his version of Princeton/triangle O; & sometimes they played pick up basketball = no plays at all just took advantage of the mismatches on the floor at that given time (this is when they had their best success). He finally changed the player rotations (stopped taking Kobe & D12 out at same time & played D12 with bench) minor things = common sense things when a team is desperate.

#5 KobeBeef24

KobeBeef24

O' Canada!

• 1,250 posts
  • Fan Since:2007
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, MWP, Swaggy P, LO, Pau

Posted January 11, 2013 - 09:19 AM

He pretty much let them play, he knew what players he had and got out of the way.

#6 Red September

Red September

Your Future Ex

• 2,713 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000ish
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24`

Posted January 11, 2013 - 09:26 AM

Why is it hard for mike d'antoni to let them play like adults.. We won by common sense ball.

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

#7 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,932 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted January 11, 2013 - 09:40 AM

Everybody is spot on. The team just played so freely. It was actually beautiful at times.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#8 iJizzPurple&Gold

iJizzPurple&Gold

Rookie

• 77 posts
  • Name:Johnny
  • Fan Since:im just a fan of kobe since he always wows me
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted January 11, 2013 - 11:18 AM

Not to mention under bickerstaff they crushed rockets, kings, and gsw, but under d'failtoni they lost to both of them and struggled vs the warriors.

#9 Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Rookie

• 393 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 11:22 AM

Was the defense any better or did they just benefit from lesser TOs?

• 40,400 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 03:10 PM

Everybody is spot on. The team just played so freely. It was actually beautiful at times.

Pretty much. Sometimes keeping it simple is all that's really needed, especially when you have so much talent already. Let it do its thing. Don't bombard it with so much.

yo.

#11 Red September

Red September

Your Future Ex

• 2,713 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000ish
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24`

Posted January 11, 2013 - 03:43 PM

Mike needs to that. Keep it simple. Let them know. Do the right thing and win. Maybe put few plays here and there but just play like its a pick up ball

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

#12 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,154 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 07:11 PM

Mike needs to that. Keep it simple. Let them know. Do the right thing and win. Maybe put few plays here and there but just play like its a pick up ball

unfortunately his wheel chair pride wont let him do the right thing. look how damn long it too him to mix up the rotations finally & he still aint doing it right. SMFH.

#13 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,553 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 11, 2013 - 08:52 PM

The players were so happy to get rid of brown, that was the biggest thing

Bernie let them play, Bernie was more concerned with saying funny phil Jackson type quotes to the press, then he was with telling the players how to play basketball.

It was not flukey, it was not just against bad teams. Lakers have serious talent, and they are better then the other teams, Bernie let them play, and just worry about on the court, an just win the darn game, dantonie wants to install a system, rather then win games

I don't think Bernie would have the best winning percentage in lakers history if he was coach for a couple seasons, but he would be better then dantone

#14 reryo

reryo

Rookie

• 1,321 posts
  • Name:Lee
  • Fan Since:2006
  • Fav. Laker:Odom

Posted January 11, 2013 - 09:38 PM

Bickerstaff just told them to play some [expletive]en basketball. No system, no pressure, no positioning, no overthinking. Everyone did what they were best at.

#15 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,917 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 12, 2013 - 01:47 AM

It was just a honeymoon period after Brown was fired.

It happens with all teams when an unwanted coach is let go. It all would've come crashing down just like it has now.

But, he would've been better than D'Antoni. I am still beside myself trying to figure out what the Lakers were thinking picking a coach from an ego standpoint rather than a practical one. Simply idiotic.

#16 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,710 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted January 12, 2013 - 02:01 AM

Lol the only reason we played so well is because everyone hated MB so much. Also the teams we were playing werent that good. All bernie did was tell them to play pick up ball. Even kobe said that. Bernie didnt really do much but set rotations which compared to MB were brilliant. Theres a reason why when we played a legit team like the spurs we lost because that free playing offense wont do it.

All bernie showed is that allot of our players have the ability to play well but they are too lazy to or just dont care.

#17 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,154 posts

Posted January 12, 2013 - 06:12 AM

Well they all must hate D'Antoni even more so let Bernie take over! They need the W %

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users