#1 wydellmd

wydellmd

Rookie

• 443 posts
  • Name:dell d
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 09, 2013 - 11:27 PM

I think that part of our problem is that we are essentially starting and playing with two centers on the floor, in a league that has gotten a lot smaller and athletic...Pau just can't keep up defensively with many of the power forwards in the league today, and just isn't an effecient enough outside shooter to be playing in Dantoni's system...However, I don't see why we can't use him the way the Celtics used Kevin Mchale back in the 80's. Although Mchale came off the bench, he was an extremely valuable asset to Celtics, and Pau would be the same for us....Pau would be a lot more comfortable as the number one option for the second unit, and having to gaurd back up centers, then being the third our fourth option with the starting unit, trying to defend the cat quick power forwards around the league...Plus, I think his knees will feel a lot better with the reduced pounding...So, when Pau comes back, I think the new lineup should be......
Nash
Kobe
Peace
E.Clark
D. Howard...

Yes, Clark.....He showed me a lot tonight...I know it was just one game, but I know talent when I see it...And he definately has the skill set to be a perfect strecth 4 on offense, and can cover a lot of ground on defense....
My second unit would be.....
Morris
Meeks
Ebanks(don't know why he isn't playing, he should definately get more minutes)
Hill
Gasol... A heavy dose of Gasol on offense would really help stablize the second unit....His minutes are being waisted with the starters.....

The first unit would have enough scoring power, and would have players in better positions both offensively and defensively.... Giving Gasol the opportunity to be the primary offensive weapon on the second unit, as well as allowing him to gaurd back up centers on defense, would maximize his productivity for our team.....

Edited by wydellmd, January 09, 2013 - 11:29 PM.

#2 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,803 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 11:31 PM

I stopped reading after seeing your starting line up .. One game is not sufficient enough to judge a player ..

#3 MadSci

MadSci

Stay Gold

• 4,753 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 09, 2013 - 11:51 PM

I'd replace Morris with Duhon for the time being until Blake returns

Having Pau come off the bench is not a bad idea, I think its worth a shot. Put him at the 5 and let the offense go through him.

The North Remembers

#4 wydellmd

wydellmd

Rookie

• 443 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 11:54 PM

I stopped reading after seeing your starting line up .. One game is not sufficient enough to judge a player ..

I have been around basketball long enough to know when a player gets lucky, and when somone is skilled....Earl Clark is skilled...The shots were going in because he is a good shooter, and the ball handling ability he displayed tonight was that of a skilled ball handler who knows what he is doing, and can get the job done.....If given the opportunity, I think Clark can prove to be a very valuable asset for our starting unit, and would be a far better fit than Gasol right now....Gasol is a center...He can't gaurd the power forwards of todays game, and is best offensively when he is down low, not out at the three point line.....Bring Gasol off the bench for Howard, and lets unleash Clark....

#5 wydellmd

wydellmd

Rookie

• 443 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 11:58 PM

I'd replace Morris with Duhon for the time being until Blake returns

Having Pau come off the bench is not a bad idea, I think its worth a shot. Put him at the 5 and let the offense go through him.

Yeah, I am not sure about Duhon.... I would like to develop Morris a little more...With some development, I hope he could turn into another Rondo type of point gaurd...

#6 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,408 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 10, 2013 - 12:05 AM

I have been around basketball long enough to know when a player gets lucky, and when somone is skilled....Earl Clark is skilled...The shots were going in because he is a good shooter, and the ball handling ability he displayed tonight was that of a skilled ball handler who knows what he is doing, and can get the job done.....If given the opportunity, I think Clark can prove to be a very valuable asset for our starting unit, and would be a far better fit than Gasol right now....Gasol is a center...He can't gaurd the power forwards of todays game, and is best offensively when he is down low, not out at the three point line.....Bring Gasol off the bench for Howard, and lets unleash Clark....

You know that Clark has never been a three point shooter, not in college or in the NBA this far.

Don't get me wrong, I hope he can stay consistent but I wouldn't go as far as labeling him a good shooter. He had a good night but it doesn't mean it's a sign of things to come.

He runs the floor well, handles the ball well in transition and uses his length on defense. Most importantly he plays with energy.

Gasol isn't coming off the bench. He'll either be starting or he'll be traded. Clark is perfect at that back up 3 & 4 spot depending on matchups.

#7 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,213 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted January 10, 2013 - 12:09 AM

I would like Pau off our bench. There's not enough touches for him in the starting lineup. Also when he comes in he'll be playing with a chip on shoulder. I would like this happen.

#8 wydellmd

wydellmd

Rookie

• 443 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 12:27 AM

You know that Clark has never been a three point shooter, not in college or in the NBA this far.

Don't get me wrong, I hope he can stay consistent but I wouldn't go as far as labeling him a good shooter. He had a good night but it doesn't mean it's a sign of things to come.

He runs the floor well, handles the ball well in transition and uses his length on defense. Most importantly he plays with energy.

Gasol isn't coming off the bench. He'll either be starting or he'll be traded. Clark is perfect at that back up 3 & 4 spot depending on matchups.

Gasol should come off the bench, because starting him just isn't working.......He can't gaurd 4's, and isn't being utilized offensively...He needs to be able to gaurd slower centers, and be more of a primary weapon on offense, which is not happening with the starting unit....If we can trade him for useful players, fine, but if not, we shouldn't continue to force a lineup that clearly isn't working, and isn't utilizing Pau's strengths....

#9 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,575 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted January 10, 2013 - 12:36 AM

This is an interesting idea, I disagree with it but it's worth discussing I think. The problems I have with it are
1) It banks too heavily on an unproven player to be consistent and
2) Even when Pau does get post up opportunities he squanders them. He plays soft now, he gets the ball on the low block against smaller players and shoots little fade aways instead of dominating them like he used to. I don't think the problem with Pau is his touches or where on the floor he gets them. When he's on the floor without Dwight, he still doesn't play like a 7 footer. He puts his back to the basket and then shoots turnaround jumpers or gives it up.

This is just my opinion based off what I've seen though. I could be wrong, (I'm no expert analyst) but I think Pau is done. Too old, too injured. I can't see him getting better, he's in decline.

#10 integrate0

integrate0

Rookie

• 73 posts
  • Name:j
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:magic

Posted January 10, 2013 - 01:21 AM

1. Nash
2. Kobe
3. Metta
4. Hill
5. Dwight

1. Duhon/Morris
2. Meeks
3. Clark
4. Pau
5. Sacre

#11 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,803 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 01:37 AM

^ Sacre will be sent back to the D league when our bigs return,, he still needs a lot of work to deserve a place in the roaster ..

Clark showed he deserve an opportunity but not a constant spot, he'll sure get a better look, but you cant guarantee whether he'll play good consistently or not,.

#12 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,160 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted January 10, 2013 - 06:35 AM

i said this weeks ago. Pau should not be finsihing 4th quarters either it should be Hill.
Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#13 tsidebotham

tsidebotham

Rookie

• 104 posts
  • Name:Travis
  • Fan Since:birth

Posted January 10, 2013 - 08:15 AM

Pau can come off the bench, fine with me (it kind of makes sense that he would to help with rotations), but the problem is, even when he is the only big in the game, he is often still out by the three point line. you can [expletive] and complain all you want about getting the ball down in the post, but if you don't move your ass down there, its impossible.

#14 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 10:27 AM

1. Nash
2. Kobe
3. Metta
4. Hill
5. Dwight

1. Duhon/Morris
2. Meeks
3. Clark/Jamison
4. Jamison/Clark
5. Pau

Fixed.

#15 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,160 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted January 10, 2013 - 10:43 AM

jamison is a terrible option at 4 spot
Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#16 steven v

steven v

Off The Bench

• 1,876 posts
  • Name:steven
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:The L.A. LAKERS

Posted January 10, 2013 - 11:52 AM

I would use Hill instead of Clark for rebounding and defense reasons. Let Pau be the backup 5 and Clark be the backup 4.
The Lakers FO knows more than you. Sorry.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users