Photo

Lakers Intrigued By Tyreke Evans?

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,736 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted January 09, 2013 - 10:18 PM

Posted Image

By Ailene Voisin
avoisin@sacbee.com

Tyreke Evans counts the number of guards on the Kings roster. He hears the persistent trade rumors. He remembers that his bosses refused to extend his contract last fall.

He also is miffed that the organization failed to arrange for a second opinion on his sore left knee, leaving his brothers and his agent to schedule a visit with Lakers orthopedist Dr. Steve Lombardo.

Without issuing any trade demands – that's not his style – Evans said he would be neither shocked nor devastated if he were sent elsewhere before the Feb. 21 deadline.

No tears. No fuss. No regrets.

No more pain. That's his main deal.

"The Kings need to do whatever they can to help the team win," said Evans, who played Monday after missing 11 games with soreness in his left knee. "I just want to go out there and play every night. That visit to (Lombardo)? That let me know that I wasn't totally wrong. I just need to get treated right. That was pretty much it."

These next several weeks will be interesting. Kings officials have no intention of trading center DeMarcus Cousins despite rampant speculation to the contrary.

Additionally, while Cousins' new agent, Dan Fegan, met with Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie earlier Monday and expressed concerns about the roster and the organization's direction, no trade demands were issued.

In terms of movable assets, salary cap considerations, and shaking up the roster, that means the next man up is Evans. Having passed last fall on offering an extension, the Kings next summer can tender a one-year, $6.9 million qualifying offer that would make their fourth-year veteran a restricted free agent.

The options would then include negotiating a new deal, allowing Evans to solicit other offers and matching the terms (a figure probably somewhere between $10 million and $12 million per season), or pursuing a sign-and-trade with another club.

Despite the Kings' assorted issues, among them an unbalanced roster that features an abundance of small guards, a lack of perimeter shooting and frontcourt shot blocking/rebounding, and the confounding inability to acquire a quality facilitator – and that remains issue No. 1 – Petrie can ill afford another damaging personnel move; there is never a time to panic.

Trading Evans for aging, declining veterans, or worse, for other players who hear "pass" and immediately think "four-letter word," would be an absolute arena emptier.

But the Kings should be – and they definitely are – willing to listen. Given the inordinate number of injuries suffered by players on contending teams, a healthy Evans will generate more interest by the day.

The Memphis Grizzlies, who are aggressively attempting to shed payroll and are shopping small forward Rudy Gay, have made inquiries. The Lakers and Denver Nuggets have long been intrigued. So have the Boston Celtics.

There is a major caveat here – health. What about that left knee?

Evans has complained of swelling and discomfort since colliding with Minnesota's Andrei Kirilenko on Nov. 27. An MRI revealed no structural damage. An exam and X-rays taken during his recent visit to Lombardo didn't reveal any loose bone chips or cartilage issues, either.

Yet Evans sat out 16 of 20 games before returning Monday night against the Grizzlies, delaying any potential deal and raising questions about his market value.

Asked whether he wanted to remain with the Kings or welcomed a trade, the soft-spoken Evans sounded receptive to either outcome. In a surprising admission, he also said his uncertain contract status led him to approach rehabilitation with unusual caution.

"Definitely," he said, forcefully. "That's why I sat out so many games. I wasn't going to come back until I was ready, near 100 percent. You have to think about that. But the knee feels good now, it doesn't hurt. I just want to get back out there and start playing like I can."

Getting the 6-foot-6, 220-pound Evans back into game shape is the first priority. He is noticeably thicker, and to use coach Keith Smart's word, was "panting" during his return against the Grizzlies.

Before colliding with the wiry Kirilenko, Evans was in exceptional shape and playing the best all-around basketball of his career.

After two ill-conceived seasons as a point guard and most of last season at small forward, he began to thrive at two-guard – cutting underneath, moving without the ball, defending the perimeter, scoring on quick hits and familiar court-length bursts.

No, whatever happens, Evans is an accomplished player. But an NBA star? That takes time and sustained excellence, and it requires proof of health. He has to stay on the court.

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/01/09/5101590/ailene-voisin-evans-future-is.html#storylink=cpy

#2 K0be10-11

K0be10-11

Starter

• 4,496 posts
  • Name:Don't Worry About It
  • Fan Since:Since 2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 09, 2013 - 10:26 PM

Get him
Posted Image

#3 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,432 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 09, 2013 - 10:28 PM

http://www.sacbee.co...l#storylink=cpy

Get him along with Jimmer!

#4 K0be10-11

K0be10-11

Starter

• 4,496 posts
  • Name:Don't Worry About It
  • Fan Since:Since 2000

Posted January 09, 2013 - 10:31 PM

Pau For Evans
Posted Image

#5 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,280 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 10:33 PM

He'd be perfect starter to side with Kobe. Ebanks + Duhon . Do it Mitch!

#6 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,030 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted January 09, 2013 - 10:41 PM

He'd be perfect starter to side with Kobe. Ebanks + Duhon . Do it Mitch!

was that a serious trade offer? cmon son

#7 iJizzPurple&Gold

iJizzPurple&Gold

Rookie

• 77 posts
  • Name:Johnny
  • Fan Since:im just a fan of kobe since he always wows me
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted January 09, 2013 - 10:41 PM

Did you guys skip the part where it said he noticeably got thicker? We dont need a fat [expletive] on this team.

#8 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,030 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 10:42 PM

LAL get - evans/ilyasova

Bucks get - thorton/Pau

Kings get - ellis

#9 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,517 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 10:43 PM

Not that he's perfect because he's not but at least he gives us a future with Dwight.

Pau to Minnesota

D will, pekovic, and a pick to Sacramento

Tyreke and Jj barea to the lakers

Something along those lines would be fine by me
Posted Image

#10 Paris

Paris

Rookie

• 606 posts

i think they should go after him. he IS what we NEED. he can score, play the 1,2, or 3, finish at and around the rim, has size defensively, can make plays for himself and others, and would be great for our transition/fastbreak game. I think we may need 1 or 2 more players out of this deal tho. As for Evans, he's what the doctor ordered IMO.

#11 Notorious Arab

Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts
  • Fan Since:When I came to the USA

Do it for Pau.

Posted Image

#12 last stand 2.0

last stand 2.0

Legend

• 19,517 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 10:44 PM

i think they should go after him. he IS what we NEED. he can score, play the 1,2, or 3, finish at and around the rim, has size defensively, can make plays for himself and others, and would be great for our transition/fastbreak game. I think we may need 1 or 2 more players out of this deal tho. As for Evans, he's what the doctor ordered IMO.

Evans has tunnel vision. He's a work in progress
Posted Image

#13 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,030 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 10:47 PM

Evans has tunnel vision. He's a work in progress

thats not what he needs to work on. (some players are just scorers,and hes played PG) HE NEEDS TO GET A FRICKIN JUMPSHOT #1, and thats about it. he does that he can avg 25 ppg. saw a stat, he shoots the 2nd most shots in the paint for a guard, ramon sessionssssss #1 this year...

#14 Notorious Arab

Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts
  • Fan Since:When I came to the USA

Posted January 09, 2013 - 10:47 PM

He's a work in progress but his potential is something we shouldn't pass up.

Posted Image

#15 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,030 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 10:49 PM

He's a work in progress but his potential is something we shouldn't pass up.

AGREED. BIG difference between potential in a player whos career ppg is 18, and a player whos career ppg is less than 10(DERRICK FREAKING WILLIAMS)

#16 Paris

Paris

Rookie

• 606 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 10:50 PM

sure he's a work in progress, with his tunnel vision, he still gets you 5 ast a game. morris has tunnel vision, metta has tunnel vision, evans is a above average passer.

#17 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,432 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 10:52 PM

The Kings have some nice young guys that I would love to have on this team.

#18 iJizzPurple&Gold

iJizzPurple&Gold

Rookie

• 77 posts
  • Name:Johnny
  • Fan Since:im just a fan of kobe since he always wows me
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted January 09, 2013 - 10:56 PM

Do you think evans would demand a trade if the kings actually went to seattle?

#19 lakerfan0307

lakerfan0307

Off The Bench

• 1,432 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 10:59 PM

Do you think evans would demand a trade if the kings actually went to seattle?

He might be happy currently because of his decreasing role with the team. Hopefully the current sale of the team doesn't hinder that.

#20 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,859 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted January 09, 2013 - 11:17 PM

We couldn't get him in a straight up deal, would probably need a third team like Minnesota if we were serious. I've always been a fan of his, even with the tunnel vision and broken jumper. If he were traded here somehow, I think he could definitely work through and fix those issues in his game. He's got great length, nice speed and athleticism, only 23 years old, has all the physical tools to be a good defender, and he's one of the best at getting into the paint. Problem is that I'm worried about his health issues (always seems to get injured) and I'm having a hard time envisioning him fitting in with this team as a starter.

Unless we were to run him as a super 6th man for now then groom him for the post-Nash future, I don't really see him having a role on this team. He's too ball-dominant to share with Nash and Kobe in the starting lineup. However, if we continue to push the pace with this team, I could see him thriving.

PG: Nash
SG: Kobe
SF: MWP
PF: Hill
C: Howard

6th Man: Evans

Not bad, then we use the bench fodder to fill in holes. If we started to run through Kobe and Dwight more and got Nash more shooting opportunities (instead of just playing LA Suns ball) we'd be pretty damn solid. Getting someone on the staff to make an actual defensive scheme would also work wonders for us. I'd be very happy If we were able to pick up another piece in any potential deal (Barea, Kirilenko, etc.) to shore up other positions of need. We don't need a "homerun" from Mitch for a star at this point. Picking up a young serviceable player and adding to bench depth is all we'll need. Just get guys that can play the game, that's the bottom-line. We NEED guys who can fulfill a given role on a nightly basis.

Not my first choice in potential dream scenario trades, but I'll take anything to get rid of Pau Gasol and his fear of the paint.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users