• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Inverse

Inverse

Rookie

• 445 posts
  • Fav. Laker:The Mad Dog

Posted January 09, 2013 - 08:00 PM

Remember the 2002-2003 Lakers? After winning 3 chips in a row, they came out the gates extremely slow ala the lakers of this year. About this time of year they had pretty much identical records...and then they went on a tear. Here are the results of the season: Check out the "W-L" column.

http://www.lakersweb...s_2002_2003.htm

Now I know this team compared to that team is a lot different, but no one can deny that this team still has great players. i still believe this team will pull it together, they've showed spurts where they are a dominant team, now its all about channeling that for the full 48 minutes. Defense is key, and at this point, defense isn't about how much the coach emphasizes it or not, its about how much heart you have and how much pride you have, to make shutting down the other player more important than making baskets. I think what the lakers did in the last 5 minutes of that spurs game was phenomenal, and maybe they will realize something they were doing right on the defensive end.

It's easy to be pessimistic right now. But the tides will turn for us, and when they do, this team will finally be living up to expectations. Here's hoping for that.

Edited by Inverse, January 09, 2013 - 08:04 PM.

Today I'm a prime minister and Today i passed a bill that gave kittens to life prisoners

#2 Red September

Red September

Your Future Ex

• 2,713 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000ish
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24`

Posted January 09, 2013 - 08:05 PM

During this losing stretch, this is where the real fans are made of. and im one of them

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

#3 K-Kris

K-Kris

Forum Browser

• 615 posts
  • Name:Kris
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 09, 2013 - 08:07 PM

We still got a chance guys!

#4 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted January 09, 2013 - 08:08 PM

Tonight did give me renewed hope, but we gotta start winning games.

15-20. Finish 35-12 and that's 50 wins and probably sixth seed.
htCCl0m.png

#5 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,723 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted January 09, 2013 - 08:10 PM

Little problem with your 02-03 start. Shaq was out I believe 15 games to start that season. Then he has some time to get back into shape. When your most dominating player isn't on your team then yes theres a excuse.

If we trade pau very soon maybe we can salvage the season but with this current roster we have no chance.

#6 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted January 09, 2013 - 08:15 PM

Og my
Posted Image

#7 Alpha Four

Alpha Four

Fugitive Alien

• 501 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 09, 2013 - 08:19 PM

Too bad about 80% of this forum has.

MDADefense_zpsb51f57fb.jpg

#8 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,787 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted January 09, 2013 - 08:19 PM

Big difference between what is possible and what is probable. You can still be a fan and be a realist.

#9 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted January 09, 2013 - 08:42 PM

It's still a long shot at best.

I'm calling it that we're not beating OKC on Friday, so we'll be 15-21. It's not like we have this figured out or anything. SA went to sleep and we finally showed some urgency and defense in the 4th. The problems are still there though. Clark was a bright spot, but I still don't see us going on such a run to get us to 48-50 wins.

#10 DanishLakerFan

DanishLakerFan

Starter

• 4,481 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted January 09, 2013 - 08:45 PM

Little problem with your 02-03 start. Shaq was out I believe 15 games to start that season. Then he has some time to get back into shape. When your most dominating player isn't on your team then yes theres a excuse.

If we trade pau very soon maybe we can salvage the season but with this current roster we have no chance.

So injuries haven't been a problem this season?

#11 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 16,723 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted January 09, 2013 - 08:50 PM

So injuries haven't been a problem this season?

They have but even when everyone is here we still arent winning. Also dwight not being 100% doesn't mean anything. By the time he is 100% it doesn't matter. In the 02-03 season once they got shaq back they dominated.

Our team is plain and simple not good enough. Like I said before if we dont make some move(s) we will not salvage this season. No moves no chance.

#12 Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Rookie

• 393 posts
  • Fan Since:@birth

Posted January 09, 2013 - 09:01 PM

02-03 Lakers couldn't win w/o Shaq and the current squad can't win with each other. I'm hoping that these last few games are giving Pau and Howard a chance to see how they can play with Nash the way Sacre and Clark being used.

Edited by Piston Honda, January 09, 2013 - 09:04 PM.

#13 bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy

Superstar

• 4,035 posts
  • Fan Since:2004
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 09, 2013 - 09:02 PM

The difference is we will not lose to the Spurs in the second round :pray:

#14 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,775 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 09:17 PM

There is no indication when the team start to play basketball consistently, you just cant predict whats going to happen .. you saying going to 32-12 would get us to a possible 6th seed but people have said similar things throughout the season , at one point they said you have to win 5 games for every loss and now they have to win 2 games out of three for a possible 8th seed ..

from a " Potential Champion" to a "Can they make the playoffs" to "can we pick up a 1st round draft"

Time is crucial , and apparently it cant get any worse ..

Even if we notched the 8th seed , you still have to think about OKC.

Edited by fozi, January 09, 2013 - 09:17 PM.

#15 Lagunero

Lagunero

☑ Nash ☑ Howard - Win Championship ☐

• 1,617 posts
  • Fan Since:98
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe, Kareem, Shaq.

Posted January 09, 2013 - 09:20 PM

it will be tough the way it has looked so far, but i still believe we can make the playoffs and make some noise if we start firing on all cylinders.

Posted Image

#16 steven v

steven v

Off The Bench

• 1,876 posts
  • Name:steven
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:The L.A. LAKERS

Posted January 09, 2013 - 10:16 PM

We still got a chance guys!

for what?
The Lakers FO knows more than you. Sorry.

#17 AnnoyingCustomer

AnnoyingCustomer

Meh...

• 2,756 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Kobe Fish Fox Horry

Posted January 09, 2013 - 11:58 PM

Remember the 2002-2003 Lakers? After winning 3 chips in a row, they came out the gates extremely slow ala the lakers of this year. About this time of year they had pretty much identical records...and then they went on a tear. Here are the results of the season: Check out the "W-L" column.

http://www.lakersweb...s_2002_2003.htm

Now I know this team compared to that team is a lot different, but no one can deny that this team still has great players. i still believe this team will pull it together, they've showed spurts where they are a dominant team, now its all about channeling that for the full 48 minutes. Defense is key, and at this point, defense isn't about how much the coach emphasizes it or not, its about how much heart you have and how much pride you have, to make shutting down the other player more important than making baskets. I think what the lakers did in the last 5 minutes of that spurs game was phenomenal, and maybe they will realize something they were doing right on the defensive end.

It's easy to be pessimistic right now. But the tides will turn for us, and when they do, this team will finally be living up to expectations. Here's hoping for that.

You already pointed it out yourself, but: that '02-'03 team was coming off a 3-peat. They were a good enough team to recover from the slow start. This current Laker team is coming off 2 straight 2nd round embarassments. They are NOT a good enough team to recover from the slow start...

2zi2dsm.jpg

"I don't want to be remembered, I want to be forgotten..."

-George Costanza, Seinfeld

#18 AnnoyingCustomer

AnnoyingCustomer

Meh...

• 2,756 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Kobe Fish Fox Horry

Posted January 10, 2013 - 12:00 AM

There is no indication when the team start to play basketball consistently, you just cant predict whats going to happen .. you saying going to 32-12 would get us to a possible 6th seed but people have said similar things throughout the season , at one point they said you have to win 5 games for every loss and now they have to win 2 games out of three for a possible 8th seed ..

from a " Potential Champion" to a "Can they make the playoffs" to "can we pick up a 1st round draft"

Time is crucial , and apparently it cant get any worse ..

Even if we notched the 8th seed , you still have to think about OKC.

Winning 2 out of 3 would be worse than winning 5 out of 6...

2zi2dsm.jpg

"I don't want to be remembered, I want to be forgotten..."

-George Costanza, Seinfeld

#19 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,775 posts

Posted January 10, 2013 - 02:10 AM

5 for 1 to get in the 50w column , and now 2 out of 3 to be a possible 8th seed based on the 8th seed record for the two seasons before the lockout season ..

#20 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,924 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 10, 2013 - 02:21 AM

Right with ya LakerGeezer.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users