Photo

Earl Clark (Will Start Vs. OKC And Guard Durant)

backup SF

• Please log in to reply
222 replies to this topic

#161 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,123 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted January 14, 2013 - 12:42 PM

can this be a Alex Smith/ Colin Kapernick situation but instead with Gasol and Earl?

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#162 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,868 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 14, 2013 - 12:44 PM

Glad we have a reliable young player to count on right now. He's not a hybrid PF at the level LeBron James has become, but he probably steps out on our court and thinks he can play like him, and we need players with that mindset.

#163 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,017 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted January 14, 2013 - 12:53 PM

can this be a Alex Smith/ Colin Kapernick situation but instead with Gasol and Earl?

good one. it was so unexpected,indeed.
you what what i love about Clark the most; his Defense; he challenges SO many shots in the paint; if dwights not challenging the shot,most likely clark is.
and also;how about his improved jumper, he can shoot now; and you know Antoni absolutley LOVES that.
Clark is like Jordan Hill's little brother who can stretch the floor. Love how Earl cuts on Offense too, its great for the O, and Nash especially with all that weaving in the paint.
i really hope that Clark has made Pau expendable; i think we're better on both sides of the floor with Earl. id LOVE to see us trade Pau for wing depth;and a backup big. cant wait to come up with trade scenerios.
is Pau expendable now?what do you guys think?

Kobe and Randle led Lakers lead the team to a 32-50 record. the Lakers select Myles Turner with the 5th pick.

#164 Ham

Ham

Rap Enthusiast

• 6,551 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant

Posted January 14, 2013 - 12:54 PM

Glad we have a reliable young player to count on right now. He's not a hybrid PF at the level LeBron James has become, but he probably steps out on our court and thinks he can play like him, and we need players with that mindset.

He needs to start over Pau. Pau can play with the bench. I think that works better for us.

Mike D'Antoni is GARBAGE.

#165 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,915 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted January 14, 2013 - 12:55 PM

Eazy it is. ;D Keep it Eazy and continue to work hard, dude is going in everytime he gets play time.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#166 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,871 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted January 14, 2013 - 01:04 PM

Pau has turned into the slowest PF in the league, I mean Metta is not fast and Kobe is still at least average but PAU is slow.

We can't have a SLOW GUY out there with guys who aren't exactly FAST. Period.

His ability to drive past people in the half-court, his ability to sprint back on D. young energetic legs.

It's not like he is skilled, he just helps us not be SLOW, I never thought it was that simple, but if we CAN get a faster dude at the SF position who has a decent game, we really would be the team that can contest OKC and Miami.

Someone like Granger even, would help a ton.

#167 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,355 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Javaris Crittenton

Posted January 14, 2013 - 04:19 PM

clark gets tired fast, but that will improve. He's just getting used to playing.

Reminds me alot of Ariza but he's much taller and grabs boards.

I remember when Ariza first came here, his jump shot was terrible!!!

Edited by Michaelyumm, January 14, 2013 - 04:19 PM.

#168 Michaelyumm

Michaelyumm

Quick & Easy

• 10,355 posts
  • Fan Since:93
  • Fav. Laker:Javaris Crittenton

Posted January 14, 2013 - 04:21 PM

Posted Image

LMAO! waddup though!

Smush or earl? Lmao! Earl in High school

Posted Image

Edited by Michaelyumm, January 14, 2013 - 04:22 PM.

#169 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,209 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted January 14, 2013 - 05:00 PM

Posted Image

LMAO! waddup though!

Smush or earl? Lmao! Earl in High school

Posted Image

Looks more like RG3

#170 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,809 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 14, 2013 - 07:27 PM

Posted Image

#171 Rad

Rad

• 1,631 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 07:31 PM

^ lol.

#172 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,564 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted January 14, 2013 - 07:33 PM

Thank God he's not rocking the latrell sprewell anymore .

#173 Lagunero

Lagunero

☑ Nash ☑ Howard - Win Championship ☐

• 1,617 posts
  • Fan Since:98
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe, Kareem, Shaq.

Posted January 14, 2013 - 07:41 PM

great pictures.

Posted Image

#174 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Parasyte

• 8,505 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 07:43 PM

Posted Image

Oh my God, :laughing:

MMiRi9s.png

#175 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted January 14, 2013 - 07:43 PM

This is what John Hollinger
"Scouting report
+ Lean, long combo forward with defensive talent. Can run and finish.
+ Good handle for his size but a terrible offensive player. Can't shoot and has bad instincts.
+ Mostly shoots jumpers. Needs to add strength and get to rim. Tweener.

Analysis
Clark looks like he could be an NBA defender, but he's having trouble converting his potential into results. At times he looked fantastic and he had some great blocks, but in between the highlights there just weren't enough results. Every indicator is strongly negative: Synergy rated him the third-worst defender in the league with at least 200 plays defended, opposing power forwards rang up a 17.3 PER against him according to 82games.com and the Magic gave up 4.1 more points per 100 possessions with him on the court.

One might suspect this is partly a Dwight Howard effect -- Clark almost never played with Howard -- but checking on NBA.com's advanced stats tool, Clark actually made Howard's on-court numbers worse. Subjectively, I'd say Clark is better than his numbers -- he was fourth among power forwards in blocks per minute -- but it strains logic to argue he was particularly good last season.

And if he can't defend, he can't play, because the dude is just brutal offensively. Clark shot 27.0 percent outside the basket area, and that's where most of his shots came from. Among power forwards, he was in the bottom three in 2-point percentage, field goal percentage, TS% and PER. He also had one of the worst turnover ratios at his position."

#176 ツ  

ツ  

All-Star

• 5,675 posts
  • Fan Since:2003

Posted January 14, 2013 - 08:01 PM

This is what John Hollinger
"Scouting report
+ Lean, long combo forward with defensive talent. Can run and finish.
+ Good handle for his size but a terrible offensive player. Can't shoot and has bad instincts.
+ Mostly shoots jumpers. Needs to add strength and get to rim. Tweener.

Analysis
Clark looks like he could be an NBA defender, but he's having trouble converting his potential into results. At times he looked fantastic and he had some great blocks, but in between the highlights there just weren't enough results. Every indicator is strongly negative: Synergy rated him the third-worst defender in the league with at least 200 plays defended, opposing power forwards rang up a 17.3 PER against him according to 82games.com and the Magic gave up 4.1 more points per 100 possessions with him on the court.

One might suspect this is partly a Dwight Howard effect -- Clark almost never played with Howard -- but checking on NBA.com's advanced stats tool, Clark actually made Howard's on-court numbers worse. Subjectively, I'd say Clark is better than his numbers -- he was fourth among power forwards in blocks per minute -- but it strains logic to argue he was particularly good last season.

And if he can't defend, he can't play, because the dude is just brutal offensively. Clark shot 27.0 percent outside the basket area, and that's where most of his shots came from. Among power forwards, he was in the bottom three in 2-point percentage, field goal percentage, TS% and PER. He also had one of the worst turnover ratios at his position."

And look where he's at now.

#177 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts

Posted January 14, 2013 - 08:07 PM

It's funny not all scouting reports are accurate but it's only been 3 games so we will see

#178 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,017 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted January 14, 2013 - 08:11 PM

It's funny not all scouting reports are accurate but it's only been 3 games so we will see

well this can be the case from season to season. he couldnt shoot before this year..

Kobe and Randle led Lakers lead the team to a 32-50 record. the Lakers select Myles Turner with the 5th pick.

#179 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted January 14, 2013 - 08:25 PM

Posted Image

:laughing:
htCCl0m.png

#180 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,386 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 02:08 PM

This Lakers season has been filled by one letdown after another, but the story of Earl Clark's recent rise has been a pleasant surprise.

Here's a quick guide on Clark for Lakers fans so they'll know who they're cheering for:

1. Denver's George Karl helped set off "Earlsanity"

The game that gave Clark his opportunity to play was L.A.'s 112-105 loss to the Denver Nuggets, when three of the Lakers' big men -- Dwight Howard (shoulder), Pau Gasol(concussion) and Jordan Hill (hip) -- went out. When Gasol was hit in the nose by Denver'sJaVale McGee and awarded two free throws, Gasol was unable to shoot them because he had to check out of the game to stop his nose from bleeding. By NBA rule, the opposing coach is allowed to select anybody off the bench to shoot the replacement free throws, so Karl chose Clark to come in.

Clark hadn't played a minute yet that game and was only 1-for-2 from the free throw line on the season before then, but calmly checked in with 1:05 remaining in the fourth quarter, stuck both the free throws, and checked back out.The clock was stopped the whole time so Clark's line in the box score that night looked pretty interesting: zero minutes, two points.

"I was like, 'Seriously? Did he do that?', Clark said of Karl singling him out. "I'm glad I was ready and knocked them down. It was like kicking it in his face."

Lakers coach Mike D'Antoni said it only goes to show how much Clark has improved at shooting to the point where the scouting reports on him are wrong.

"I was kind of surprised he chose him because he’s one of our best shooters," D'Antoni said. "But, they didn’t know and we didn’t know. That’s why he sat at the end of the bench. Nobody kind of knew. His knock in Orlando was he couldn’t make shots, so that’s the scouting report and that’s why they did it and that’s kind of why he was the last guy to get a chance. He worked on it evidently all summer. Somewhere he got confidence in it and he’s knocking it down."

2. He has two double-doubles in the last three games after one double-double in his first 149 games

Before Clark's 22-point, 13-rebound breakout performance against the San Antonio Spurs, he had just 14 total points and 16 total rebounds on the season. In his last three games he's averaging 15.0 points, 10.7 rebounds, 3.3 assists and 2.0 blocks. His career averages in four seasons in the league are 3.2 points, 2.2 rebounds, 0.4 assists and 0.5 blocks per game.

3. His name is Earl, but call him "Eazy"

"They all just call me 'Eazy,' man, that's it," Clark said when asked if he's picked up any nicknames. "A few guys call me the 'sanity' thing which I don't really like."

Clark's old nickname was "E5" because he wore No. 5 in college and No. 55 as a rookie with thePhoenix Suns. He wears No. 6 for the Lakers.

4. He can guard all five positions on defense

"It also gives us a guy that’s extremely versatile," D'Antoni said of Clark's emergence. "He can guard all from 2s to 3s, actually 1s to 3s to 4s and can even switch to a 5. He’s been doing a terrific job and he’s got to keep it that way. I know it’s only four games, but that’s better than no games. We’re extremely happy with where he is right now and hopefully he will keep progressing. His energy and his length on defense, his body is just alive, and it’s given us a good jolt."

5. He almost played in China

As Mark Whicker of the Orange County Register pointed out, during the NBA lockout Clark was one of a couple dozen players to defect from the league and try to find work overseas. If he had stayed over there and caught on instead of returning from China to be with his pregnant wife, maybe this all never would have happened.

6. He's a sneakerhead

Clark has been wearing the new Kobe VIIIs recently, but before that you could see his feet adorned in a wide array of different sneakers -- some classic, some custom, some exclusive colorways -- because Clark doesn't have a shoe contract so he's allowed to wear whatever pair of sneakers fits his fancy that day.

7. He's a family man

"Off the court, I'm mostly with my kids and my wife," Clark said. "We're gone so much, I like to spend a lot of time with my daughter and son and catch up, see what they're learning in school and see what my son has picked up because once you go on the road for seven days, we come back and they do something new. So, you kind of miss out on a lot."

Clark's daughter, Ke'nya, is three and his son, Nazir, is one.

Clark's birthday is actually this week. He turns 25 on Thursday, the same day the Lakers play the Miami Heat.

"All I would like is a win and maybe some cake, man," Clark said.

8. He's made a couple comical mistakes

At the end of the first quarter when the Lakers played Oklahoma City, Clark ran off the court towards the locker room. D'Antoni thought it was because Clark got confused and said it was halftime. Clark claims it as just because nature was calling. Regardless, it gave the team a good laugh.

Then, after the Cleveland game, Clark committed the mortal sin of overlooking the Lakers' next opponent in the Milwaukee Bucks and talking about L.A.'s "next game" against the Miami Heat.

"Miami . . . Milwaukee . . . They both start with ‘M,’" D'Antoni said with a laugh. "They hadn’t seen the schedule yet."

9. Others are enjoying in his success

Former Laker backup Derrick Caracter, who played with Clark at Louisville, popped up on my Twitter timeline this week when he re-tweeted two of the positive notes I wrote about Clark's success.

Caracter is one of many former teammates of Clark to come out of the woodwork and cheer him on.

"A few of my teammates from former teams I've been telling me that they're glad to see me get an opportunity and to just keep going and make the best of it," Clark said.

10. He loves hearing Lakers P.A. announcer Lawrence Tanter say his name

Clark was asked what has been the most fun part of his run so far.

"I ain't going to lie, just getting my name called in the starting lineup at the Staples Center," Clark said. "That's a big accomplishment for me and my family. You know, sometimes at night it's what you dream about and it came true."

That dream has been realized in the last five games, but Clark played in just nine of the Lakers first 32 games this season.

"Some days are better than others," Clark said of being out of the rotation. "Some days you can be positive and feel good and upbeat and some days it's like, 'Man, am I ever going to get a shot?' But, like I said, I just tried to stay positive and continue to work and be prepared for when they did call my name."

That last one speaks volumes about him. Really shows he values the opportunity to play in the NBA. Glad he's playing well

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users