I think we can all cut Mike Brown some slack now

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 leor_77

leor_77

Hall Of Fame

• 8,410 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 12:32 AM

Now...Mike Brown isn't an epically great coach, but come on, I think we can agree that he wasn't the colossal failure that we all thought he was (we'll leave that to MDA, or MA). We're seeing that defense is usually a lot more important than offense, and maybe those long, grueling practices were actually good for the team. Instill defensive principles into their brains for 4-5 hours a day if you have to if they're not getting it (which they're obviously NOT GETTING NOW). So most guys are not getting our defense down now, but it's Ok to just let these guys off the hook? From my observations, this entire coaching staff has a substitute teacher mentality.

Brown at the very least played to our strengths and force-fed the bigs, slowed down the game, etc. Our rebounding and defensive statistics were right there on the top tier the entire year. I would love to have him back as a defensive assistant coach...I don't care how stupid we look, we couldn't possibly look worse than we are right now. He just had to can that stupid Princeton Offense (and implement whatever we had last year), and we would probably be fine, at least a 6th seed team. People forget something about our defense for the first 4 games with Brown, it was just the turnovers (from this terrible offense that was confusing everyone) and the resulting uncontested shots that were skewing and making our D look worse statistically than it really was.

Sure, the guy wasn't that great with in-game adjustments, and wasn't an offensive genius, but who cares? Offensive genius got D'Antoni no where, results-wise. As far as last year, the truth is that we had the OKC series, but Kobe kind of gave the game away.

Edited by leor_77, January 09, 2013 - 12:35 AM.

• 40,603 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 12:41 AM

Bring back Mike Brown just for the defense. Is it impossible? He's stealing millions doing nothing anyway.

Edited by    , January 09, 2013 - 12:42 AM.

yo.

#3 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted January 09, 2013 - 12:46 AM

Agree haha
Posted Image

#4 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 14,274 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 09, 2013 - 12:49 AM

Nah

Posted Image

#5 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted January 09, 2013 - 12:52 AM

But no i dont cut mike brown or MDA any slack. The guys are paid millions its not like they are making 12/hr. He interviewed for the job and accepted. They both knew this team was title or bust. Brown knew his number was coming up thats one of the reasons he was experimenting so much just trying to buy time.
Posted Image

#6 jax24

jax24

Starter

• 881 posts
  • Name:Jax
  • Fan Since:1979
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 09, 2013 - 12:52 AM

Yeah with the way things have unfolded I think we have to cut MB a bit of slack. While I wasn't a fan of his hire he did ok compared to what MDA has done so far. At least he got us to the playoffs last year which is looking like a tall order for MDA this season. While Brown has played a part with the bad start to the season, Dantoni really hasn't made this team look that much better since he has taken over. So it has been partly proven that all of our woes weren't on MBs coaching. However I think it's clearly shown that the players are owed part of the blame as well.

#7 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,063 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 09, 2013 - 01:05 AM

If Mike Brown ran the 4 in 1 out offense he was trying to run last year. It would have been PERFECT with our current lineup. Absolutely PERFECT.

Though I wish we'd had more time to implement what he was trying to do. The times we ran 4 in 1 out it was very very effective and actually shot us back in games.

When the bench unit was in and Brown was running 4 in 1 out through Dwight it worked VERY well.}

Really wish I could have seen what he and Kobe had talked about. Because what they were running through Bickerstaff was what Brown and Kobe had decided to run as a team before he was fired.

They were gonna take out some of the complications of the Princeton and implement some other simpler things.

THOSE things are what you saw during our 4-1 game winning streak where we ran some Princeton here and there among more free form stuff.

As Kobe said, him and Brown had talked about Brown being more "hands off" and simplifying things a bit the day of their last practice together and the NIGHT before he got fired. Never gonna see it now though unless Bickerstaff is back at the helms. Why do you think Bickerstaff gave Brown the credit when they went 4 and 1...

But it's too late to go back now isn't it :)

Gonna have to make it work with D'antoni. Which it CAN but Nash is gonna have to be fed amore by Kobe and aggressive(like he was tonight) and Gasol is going to have to roll to the basket more allowing Nash to take advantage of the times he's doubled off the pick and rolls. And WHEN they are less likely todouble him off pick and rolls he'll be able to shoot more. Like..tonight :P

Edited by Majesty, January 09, 2013 - 01:11 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#8 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,924 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted January 09, 2013 - 01:16 AM

If Mike Brown ran the 4 in 1 out offense he was trying to run last year. It would have been PERFECT with our current lineup. Absolutely PERFECT.

Technically, that was John Kuester, but yes...much better than what we are attempting to do today.

EDIT: I'll go ahead and push credit Brown's way, too, since he brought it over from Pop. Kuester is the guy that taught the players the offense last year, though.

#9 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,270 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted January 09, 2013 - 01:23 AM

If Mike Brown ran the 4 in 1 out offense he was trying to run last year.

Lol this is the second time I've had to correct you on this. It's the 4 OUT 1 IN. NOT the 4 IN 1 OUT.

#10 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted January 09, 2013 - 01:35 AM

All this pinning/blaming everything on the coach really gets old. At the end of the day the coach is sitting on the bench not playing. It's up to the players to do their job and play with passion, energy, and effort. The Lakers players outside of Kobe, Nash when healthy, and World Peace haven't done that.
htCCl0m.png

#11 AnnoyingCustomer

AnnoyingCustomer

Meh...

• 2,770 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Kobe Fish Fox Horry

Posted January 09, 2013 - 02:18 AM

:huh:

You don't cut garbage slack just because it smells slightly better than your current garbage...

2zi2dsm.jpg

"I don't want to be remembered, I want to be forgotten..."

-George Costanza, Seinfeld

#12 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,967 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted January 09, 2013 - 02:48 AM

I think its MB's fault we have guys like jaminson, ebanks, and still pau. They fit his little "system" and now all those players are sucking up this team. I gave MB a new chance this season but right after we lost that horrible game to the jazz and he just would look around with that dumb face not knowing what the hell to do it was the last straw.

People forget to soon and I still think MB is a big reason why this team is a stinker.

Edited by bigfetz, January 09, 2013 - 02:51 AM.

#13 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,737 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 09, 2013 - 04:13 AM

The Lakers pulled the trigger too quickly on MB's dismissal. The Lakers are giving up almost 120 ppp in the last two weeks, If we had Mike Brown as a coach, our team would only allow 90 points a game.

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#14 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,280 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 04:56 AM

Mike Brown was a genius.

R.I.P.

#15 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 6,120 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted January 09, 2013 - 05:51 AM

Don't know where to drop this, so I'll put it here.

I think the Lakers may have been better off continuing to let Dwight rehab and play Pau in the post. Assuming that some of Pau's issues are mental, and not just physical/fatigue, he may have performed better if he headed into training camp/season knowing he would play a more significant role, at least until Dwight's return.

Nash's injury, of course, was unrelated. But, it was another factor in Mike Brown's demise.

Just so many things have gone wrong. And the draft is weak to boot.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#16 t-1

t-1

Rookie

• 559 posts
  • Fan Since:2009

Posted January 09, 2013 - 05:55 AM

Mike Brown couldn't win even with full training camp. He doesn't deserve any slack.

#17 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Kimagure Orange Road

• 9,037 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Grant

Posted January 09, 2013 - 06:04 AM

No slack for him.

He got fired from the coaching staff for a reason.

"You watch anime?"

- "Yeah, I just got into it! Just recently, I just started watching Attack on Ti-"

"Get away from me, pleb."

#18 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,371 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted January 09, 2013 - 06:17 AM

Blame most of yourselves for him being gone! A large majority of Flaker fans ran him outta here b4 he even got a chance to salvage the start of season.
Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#19 RayRay

RayRay

Sixth Man

• 3,525 posts
  • Fan Since:Since 96
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Hobe

Posted January 09, 2013 - 07:23 AM

hell naw.
only Kobe can stop Kobe.

#20 Mumford

Mumford

Rookie

• 168 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 08:10 AM

Morris-Metta-Jamison-Hill-Howard.

THAT'S a lineup that this moron actually put on the court in his (fortunately) last game as Laker coach.

Edited by Mumford, January 09, 2013 - 08:11 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users