#41 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,933 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted January 09, 2013 - 05:46 AM

At this point, if the Lakers play well enough to make the play-offs, then being a contender is not completely out of the question.

It sounds very silly, but that's the hole this team has dug. Must play quite well just to get in now, including winning some games against top teams.

Assume a trade at some point, and a healthier Dwight Howard.

I don't think this is the most likely scenario, just pointing out what it will take to get there and what that will most likely mean in terms of how we are playing heading into April.

Nash commented that it may take "through the summer" to get better. He's right. I think this team is starting to focus on the 2013-14 plan, which likely includes A) no Pau, B) a decent addition through the draft, and C) fill in your wish list here.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#42 SportyIntellectual

SportyIntellectual

Rookie

• 161 posts
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 09, 2013 - 07:35 AM

At this point, if the Lakers play well enough to make the play-offs, then being a contender is not completely out of the question.

Assume a trade at some point, and a healthier Dwight Howard.

Faith is a wonderful thing (for some people), because it does not require any examination of reality.

Look, I get the fan who says, "This is a good team. Just look at all the terrific players we have!", but while that may be true, it's a very limited picture which ignores the strengths of teams like the Clippers, OKC, San Antonio, and even Golden State. All those teams have strong point guards who can break you down off the dribble.

For a possible trade to be beneficial, assuming matching contracts, you need 3 critical components:

1) trade-worthy assets
2) the availability of an impact player
3) a willing trade partner

If any 1 of those 3 is missing, then a trade does you no good.

#43 gque24

gque24

Sixth Man

• 4,157 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted January 09, 2013 - 07:45 AM

yes
Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#44 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,933 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted January 09, 2013 - 07:50 AM

Faith is a wonderful thing (for some people), because it does not require any examination of reality.

Look, I get the fan who says, "This is a good team. Just look at all the terrific players we have!", but while that may be true, it's a very limited picture which ignores the strengths of teams like the Clippers, OKC, San Antonio, and even Golden State. All those teams have strong point guards who can break you down off the dribble.

For a possible trade to be beneficial, assuming matching contracts, you need 3 critical components:

1) trade-worthy assets
2) the availability of an impact player
3) a willing trade partner

If any 1 of those 3 is missing, then a trade does you no good.

IF the Lakers play well enough to win the games it takes to make the play-offs, then it is not outside the realm of possibility that they will be a contender.

It's a long shot to even make the play-offs at this point, and frankly, I don't think they'll get there.

However, looking at the schedule and what it will likely take to get there, they will need to play well and actually beat some very good teams in the process.

There is only a slim path to the #8 seed that does not include wins over the likes of Miami, OKC, SAS, LAC, MEM, etc.

Get to the play-offs without accumulating some wins over any of those teams, then they are not a contender. Get to the play-offs and win some big games against some of the top opponents in the league, then there is reason to believe that they could contend.

It's not that complicated when viewed from the perspective of what must happen to get to the play-offs at this point.

What is complicated is making the play-offs, given our current record, injury situation, and remaining schedule.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#45 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,787 posts
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted January 09, 2013 - 08:52 AM

The sad part is that this could really have all been avoided. To "fix" this mess, we need to look at what went wrong.
-The bench was never any good. The FAs signed by Mitch made no sense, given that better talent was available for equal or less $.
-The hiring of Mike Brown made no sense and the hiring of DanTan makes no sense, given the roster.
-The trade of a first round pick last March for Ramon Session was at best questionable.
-The trade of a first round pick for Jordan Hill last March was better but could also be questioned.
-As much as I love the player and person, the Nash deal will turn out to be a bad one in the long run. Too much was given up for the short term. 4 draft picks for a 2 year player with a bad back and who would inevitably get hurt at some point just seems too risky to me.
-The failure to trade Pau when he was still playing well but it was clear that his skills/ interest was declining but his value was much higher was a mistake.

See a trend here? And before you guys start the "draft picks ain't worth nuthin" chatter, I disagree. You fill out a bench with quaility picks. You draft and trade young talent for established talent with quality picks. Or you use the future picks to gain a "missing piece" on a roster. But you dont just chuck your picks year after year for (at best) B grade talent. It WILL come crashing down at some point.

Edited by LakerGeezer, January 09, 2013 - 09:01 AM.

#46 Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Rookie

• 393 posts
  • Fan Since:@birth

Posted January 09, 2013 - 08:55 AM

Lakers need a win in 2013 before even thinking about the playoffs.

#47 SportyIntellectual

SportyIntellectual

Rookie

• 161 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 09:19 AM

IF the Lakers play well enough to win the games it takes to make the play-offs, then it is not outside the realm of possibility that they will be a contender.

It's a long shot to even make the play-offs at this point, and frankly, I don't think they'll get there.

However, looking at the schedule and what it will likely take to get there, they will need to play well and actually beat some very good teams in the process.

There is only a slim path to the #8 seed that does not include wins over the likes of Miami, OKC, SAS, LAC, MEM, etc.

Get to the play-offs without accumulating some wins over any of those teams, then they are not a contender. Get to the play-offs and win some big games against some of the top opponents in the league, then there is reason to believe that they could contend.

It's not that complicated when viewed from the perspective of what must happen to get to the play-offs at this point.

What is complicated is making the play-offs, given our current record, injury situation, and remaining schedule.

Fair points. I see what you're saying now...that if they can get to a point where they're playing .690-or-better basketball, then they'd make it into the playoffs playing in a way that would make them a tough out. I get that.

BUT, as the 7- or 8-seed, we're talking about running into OKC or the Clips right off the bat and having no real shot to get out of the 1st round.

To get up to the 5th slot, we're talking about needing probably 53 wins, which from this point would mean winning at a .790 pace.

This is the point of the season at which the math really does become a factor, especially since we're talking about being 8 losses behind the team currently in the 5th slot (GS), with only 48 games left to play.

#48 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&a

• 23,127 posts
  • Name:Kyler
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Swaggy and Kareem

Posted January 09, 2013 - 09:22 AM

at this point NO

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#49 SportyIntellectual

SportyIntellectual

Rookie

• 161 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 09:32 AM

The sad part is that this could really have all been avoided. To "fix" this mess, we need to look at what went wrong.
-The bench was never any good. The FAs signed by Mitch made no sense, given that better talent was available for equal or less $.
-The hiring of Mike Brown made no sense and the hiring of DanTan makes no sense, given the roster.
-The trade of a first round pick last March for Ramon Session was at best questionable.
-The trade of a first round pick for Jordan Hill last March was better but could also be questioned.
-As much as I love the player and person, the Nash deal will turn out to be a bad one in the long run. Too much was given up for the short term. 4 draft picks for a 2 year player with a bad back and who would inevitably get hurt at some point just seems too risky to me.
-The failure to trade Pau when he was still playing well but it was clear that his skills/ interest was declining but his value was much higher was a mistake.

See a trend here? And before you guys start the "draft picks ain't worth nuthin" chatter, I disagree. You fill out a bench with quaility picks. You draft and trade young talent for established talent with quality picks. Or you use the future picks to gain a "missing piece" on a roster. But you dont just chuck your picks year after year for (at best) B grade talent. It WILL come crashing down at some point.

Solid - there's no justification to give up 1st-round picks for 3rd-round 'talent'.

Now, though, we've got to admit that the team is hamstrung for at least another year or 2 because of those moves that were made in haste. I mean, honestly, I never heard of Ramon Sessions before the trade. Any word on what he's up to these days? Oh, according to the team website, looks like he's the backup PG on a 9-24 team.

#50 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,566 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted January 09, 2013 - 09:38 AM

After they lose to the Spurs and Thunder, I think they need to finish out the season going 33-13 (or something roughly like that, off the top of my head) to secure a playoff spot. That would probably be the best record in the league. JUST TO GET A 7 OR 8 SEED. It's doable, but right now I haven't seen a single thing which shows me they are capable of it.

So no, I don't think they'll make the playoffs. ENORMOUS failure of a season.

#51 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,207 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted January 09, 2013 - 10:13 AM

Judging by the math, no, they will miss the playoffs. Made some horrible moves, waited to long, had some bad luck.

#52 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted January 09, 2013 - 10:18 AM

Lakers need a win in 2013 before even thinking about the playoffs.

Good point never even thought of that haha we are winless in 2013
Posted Image

#53 LakerGeezer

LakerGeezer

Off The Bench

• 1,787 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Dennis Rodman

Posted January 09, 2013 - 10:32 AM

Judging by the math, no, they will miss the playoffs. Made some horrible moves, waited to long, had some bad luck.

Agreed, but not sure about the "bad luck" part? Are you referring to injuries? Old players get injured more often and more seriously than younger players, not sure luck has anything to do with it. At any given time, the Lakers should be planning for one of their older players to be injured.

#54 Warren2ThaG

Warren2ThaG

• 7,484 posts
  • Name:Danny P
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 09, 2013 - 06:14 PM

no again, and its not to early to say no. you guys are stupid if you think we make it

All About Tha NW

russelwilsonfinalforums.jpg
"It's gonna take the man in me to conquer this insanity..." -Tupac.
-----------------------

#55 manaro90

manaro90

Sixth Man

• 3,349 posts
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant, Magic, Nick Young

Posted January 09, 2013 - 06:16 PM

I dont think so..

We dont have good D and we have psycho effect of this mess season which we already having right now..

I dont see the team getting fix those problems...noa..

Germanys Craziest & Finest LA Lakers Fan #Manaro90

"Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post. I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the shield that guards the realms of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come."

#56 Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Rookie

• 393 posts
  • Fan Since:@birth

Posted January 09, 2013 - 06:28 PM

Agreed, but not sure about the "bad luck" part? Are you referring to injuries? Old players get injured more often and more seriously than younger players, not sure luck has anything to do with it. At any given time, the Lakers should be planning for one of their older players to be injured.

I'm not sure if Nash's broken fibula and Pau's concussion are due to old age. It could have happened to any player at any age — more like wrong place, wrong time type of injuries. Now recovery time can be attributed to age, but Nash came back in about 7 weeks which is on par for the injury.

#57 Mr Terrific

Mr Terrific

Dwight Howard Is A Wanker!

• 7,040 posts
  • Name:Prince George
  • Fan Since:2014
  • Fav. Laker:Prince & The Revolution

Posted January 09, 2013 - 07:42 PM

Posted Image

FACEBOOK MR TERRIFIC HD Bottom Line Is We're Gonna Win With You Or Without You And If You Don't Get That, Then It's Best You Go Somewhere Else--Dean Smith

#58 leor_77

leor_77

Superstar

• 8,341 posts

Posted January 09, 2013 - 07:49 PM

Only thing I'll say is that we've been here (5 games under .500) before. A 5 or 6 game win streak is very doable and happens all the time with teams in the NBA.

#59 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted January 09, 2013 - 08:14 PM

Posted Image

That's [expletive]ed up. :laughing:
htCCl0m.png

#60 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted January 09, 2013 - 09:18 PM

I think the OKC game is key. If we can win that game without Dwight than that could give us the confidence to go on a long win streak and get ourselves in the playoffs. Once we get in if we do anything can happen. Anytime you have star power like we do you can beat anybody.
htCCl0m.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users