Photo

Lakers are 4th in 3-pointers attempted, but 17th in 3-point %. D'Antoni's offense is killing the Lakers.

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 integrate0

integrate0

Rookie

• 73 posts
  • Name:j
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:magic

Posted January 08, 2013 - 07:47 PM

This is exactly why D'Antoni was a really bad hire. How many 3 point shooters do we have?

Also, you can't just hire gunners like Jodie Meeks. You need guys who can also shot fake, pull up for the mid range and drive to the basket. The 08-09 Magic had Rashard Lewish and Hedo Turkolgu at their peaks, which is why they were so good. We also had Jason Kapono last year, but we let him guy...why? Because he can only shoot and can't play D.

Who on our team are real 3 point shooters? Even Jodie really isn't because he's so streaky.

Lakers are also 20th in turnovers. The offense doesn't allow good passing lanes to open, causing all these tough passes, not making the opposition defense work that hard. Passing the ball well allows the offense to seriously use a lot less energy than the defense. Even if the offense doesn't score, the opposing defense will work so hard just for one possession.

Edited by integrate0, January 08, 2013 - 07:48 PM.

#2 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,017 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted January 08, 2013 - 07:51 PM

he wasnt lyin when he said its a problem if we dont score 110-115,,,,cuz the other team sure will! :smh:

Kobe and Randle led Lakers lead the team to a 32-50 record. the Lakers select Myles Turner with the 5th pick.

#3 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,865 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 08, 2013 - 07:52 PM

Of course, our best three-point shooter is the guy passing the ball out to three-point shooters.

Continue enjoying the season, guys!

#4 integrate0

integrate0

Rookie

• 73 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 07:58 PM

Of course, our best three-point shooter is the guy passing the ball out to three-point shooters.

Continue enjoying the season, guys!

We're seriously screwed, but it doesn't look like our defense is getting better.

We just don't have enough young guys to play solid defense for 48 minutes.

#5 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,092 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 08:02 PM

One bothers me about our offense is that we fail to make the extra pass at times. What pisses me offer even more is that there are possessions where Dwight doesn't even touch the ball in the post. If we go down low to Dwight, the opposition is going to double. When we go to Dwight, it is usually at the low corner block, not on top of the key. When we go down low, whoever is beyond the arc near Dwight's side needs to go the opposite side and clear out. That leaves the defense to make a choice whether to play Dwight one-on-one, or double. If they do double, Dwight needs to kick it out. If our spacing is correct, someone is going to be left open. And if we move the ball from side to side, we are going to get easy and open looks. There is NOT one defender that can beat the pass. Sadly, we do committ most of our turnovers down low and on entry passes to the post. These turnovers will translate into points for the opposition, as our transition defense is just horrid. As RD mentioned. Nash needs to shoot the ball more. We need to make our 3-point shooting threat known. I remember last year where team didn't even care Metta was beyond not arc. They dared him to shoot the 3 ball.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#6 Alpha Four

Alpha Four

Fugitive Alien

• 501 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 08, 2013 - 08:02 PM

Yeah we need to stop jacking up so many threes =/

MDADefense_zpsb51f57fb.jpg

#7 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,604 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 08, 2013 - 08:04 PM

We were 6th and then we went 3 straight games shooting terribly from three.

And tonight we shot 45% from three and if that continues for another 4 games we'll go back up in the top 10. Those things are fickle.

Edited by Majesty, January 08, 2013 - 08:04 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#8 integrate0

integrate0

Rookie

• 73 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 08:10 PM

We were 6th and then we went 3 straight games shooting terribly from three.

And tonight we shot 45% from three and if that continues for another 4 games we'll go back up in the top 10. Those things are fickle.

3 point shooting teams just don't win. It's an unfortunate fact for the Lakers.

What happens when a team locks up the Lakers in 3 point shots? The Lakers don't know how to score near the basket.

#9 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,865 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 08:10 PM

Long jumpers and threes missed create long rebounds and fast breaks that we can't stop, because we are slow.

Also, pushing the tempo runs our players tired, and our defense tends to collapse because of it.

We can be 6th in the league scoring buckets, points per 100 possessions, but it's a problem because 1) the style has a negative effect on our defense and 2) we are still relying on Kobe to give us 30 PPG at 40+ minutes a night.

So, yes, the offense is a problem.

#10 Mumford

Mumford

Rookie

• 167 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 08:16 PM

Long jumpers and threes missed create long rebounds and fast breaks that we can't stop, because we are slow.

Lol the other team score us in fastbreak even after we made a basket.

Our transition defense really sucks.

#11 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,865 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 08:19 PM

Lol the other team score us in fastbreak even after we made a basket.

Our transition defense really sucks.

It would be the one thing I'd preach to my team (if I had one) going up against the Lakers. Just run them to death.

#12 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,604 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 08:29 PM

Also, pushing the tempo runs our players tired, and our defense tends to collapse because of it.

We can be 6th in the league scoring buckets, points per 100 possessions, but it's a problem because 1) the style has a negative effect on our defense and 2) we are still relying on Kobe to give us 30 PPG at 40+ minutes a night.

So, yes, the offense is a problem.

Thing is.. that WASN'T the case tonight

Mike Trudell@LakersReporter
LAL got back on D (only 6 FB pts allowed) & won 2nd chance pts 15-8. Rockets just repeatedly got to the rim off the dribble.

A majority of that happened when Jamison was in funnily enough as Parsons burned him on near every single play that Tawn was on him :smh: Jamison was guarding Parsons and Delfino tonight...

Wasn't fast break points that got us.

Houston only had 6.

Thoughts?

#13 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,162 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 08, 2013 - 08:53 PM

Bottom line... The Lakers Defense sucks.. Be it Jamison, Nash, Kobe, the water boy, the towel boy or even Michael McDonald... The are terrible at defending. PERIOD!
Posted Image

#14 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,865 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 08:55 PM

A majority of that happened when Jamison was in funnily enough as Parsons burned him on near every single play that Tawn was on him :smh: Jamison was guarding Parsons and Delfino tonight...

Houston only had 6.

Thoughts?

We didn't have Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol out there.

It's easier when we have guys like Clark, Morris, and even Sacre all running back...they are young, they have legs.

But this isn't the team we'll have for long...and this particular team would never win it all.

That's not saying we should play those young guys more, though, because that cripples our offense against elite teams.

#15 Notorious Arab

Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts
  • Fan Since:When I came to the USA

Posted January 08, 2013 - 08:57 PM

Houston only had 6.

Thoughts?

We didnt get killed in transition entirely, but semi-transition.

Posted Image

#16 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,604 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 09:00 PM

We didn't have Dwight Howard and Pau Gasol out there.

It's easier when we have guys like Clark, Morris, and even Sacre all running back...they are young, they have legs.

But this isn't the team we'll have for long...and this particular team would never win it all.

That's not saying we should play those young guys more, though, because that cripples our offense against elite teams.

Do you think having Dwight there with the lineups that were also apparent tonight(as in if you took out Sacre and put in Dwight and had Sacre with the bench unit) how much of a difference does that make?

Because I have a feeling like Clark and Dwight on the floor defensively at the same time would have stopped a lot of those iso shots.

I think we missed Dwight tonight above all else.

I honestly think that Dwight with the lineups we saw tonight could win. Not it all, but we'd put together much better defensive performances. Because they have young legs to protect against run outs and Clark compensates defensively for his offensive woes. But I agree it wouldn't work unless Dwight is out there with them

#17 KB24BlackMamba

KB24BlackMamba

Rookie

• 396 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Fan Since:2008

Posted January 08, 2013 - 09:05 PM

I´m really surprised that the Lakers organization has let it go this far, and it seems it ain´t getting any better, also. I mean, we are the frickin Los Angeles LAKERS, the Lakers, for godsake, and we aren´t even in the playoff picture, and far from it.
Posted Image

#18 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,865 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 09:09 PM

Do you think having Dwight there with the lineups that were also apparent tonight(as in if you took out Sacre and put in Dwight and had Sacre with the bench unit) how much of a difference does that make?

Because I have a feeling like Clark and Dwight on the floor defensively at the same time would have stopped a lot of those iso shots.

I think we missed Dwight tonight above all else.

I honestly think that Dwight with the lineups we saw tonight could win. Not it all, but we'd put together much better defensive performances. Because they have young legs to protect against run outs and Clark compensates defensively for his offensive woes. But I agree it wouldn't work unless Dwight is out there with them

Would have been a closer game at the end simply because it's Dwight Howard, but with him out there, we can't be sure that we would have scored the points that we did, either. Howard slows the game down, no matter what we try to run. Would Nash have shot 10 times tonight? Would he have thrown those assists? Would Kobe have seven or eight assists with Howard out there?

Bigger question is, would we have taken 31 threes with Howard in the game? The 31 attempts was a season high for us.

We allowed Houston to shoot 55% from the floor. This is the highest scoring team in the league.

So, while he would have made a difference back on defense, I'm not sure if it would have mattered enough, because it would have changed us on the offensive end as well...and not necessarily in a positive way, against a team that looks to rain buckets.

#19 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,092 posts

Posted January 08, 2013 - 09:34 PM

Defensively, we fail to successfully rotate and close out shooters beyond the arc. Teams that can shoot the three ball expose us.

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#20 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 13,204 posts
  • Fan Since:1986

Posted January 08, 2013 - 10:28 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by TKainZero, January 08, 2013 - 10:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users