• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,776 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted October 27, 2008 - 02:14 PM

I'm old enough to have seen Vlade play with the Lakers...I mean, YOUNG Vlade! Pau and Vlade are very similar in their approach and skill sets (except Pau seems to be the better man defender). They both have high bball IQs and the skills to play 3-5 (but not the athleticism).

Who was the better LAKER?
Who was funnier? for those who are too young, here is an old commercial to compare them:

Who is/was more skilled?
Who is/was more loved?

I know most of the responses are going to come from old heads so lets have it, Generation Rogaine!!!

Edited by GCMD, October 27, 2008 - 02:14 PM.

#2 popo

popo

Nawab

• 15,221 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Farmar/Divac

Posted October 27, 2008 - 02:31 PM

Skilled scorer-Pau
Skilled passer-Divac

Funnier-Divac

Vlade was one of my favorite players, he had to go up against the most dominant centers at his time. He put up good numbers for a period of 10 years including avging over 10rpg game twice with the Lakers.
Team Farmar

Team Pau

Team Ron Ron

#3 K. Dot

K. Dot

Spark & Fly

• 3,712 posts
  • Fan Since:1997
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 27, 2008 - 02:38 PM

Skilled Scorer-Pau
Skilled passer-Pau

Funnie-Vlade.

Vlade was unbeliable funny. Radmonivic is pretty funny too. Can never forget Turiaf though!

#4 Lakersfan1211

Lakersfan1211

Legend

• 17,646 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted October 27, 2008 - 03:29 PM

Pau beats Vlade on both passing and scoring, but yeah Divac is pretty funny when he gets punked.

#5 popo

popo

Nawab

• 15,221 posts

Posted October 27, 2008 - 03:31 PM

Vlade was a very good passing center. He is considered the 3rd best passing center after Hakem and Sabonis. I don't think you guys saw or were old enough to watch him play at his prime.
Team Farmar

Team Pau

Team Ron Ron

#6 wong63

wong63

boy chef goin off up in the kitchen.

• Pip
  • 441 posts

Posted October 27, 2008 - 05:55 PM

skilled scorer/passer - gasol
skilled flopper - divac

most loved - divac

#7 Icker

Icker

Hall Of Fame

• 8,925 posts

Posted October 27, 2008 - 05:57 PM

Vlade was a very good passing center. He is considered the 3rd best passing center after Hakem and Sabonis. I don't think you guys saw or were old enough to watch him play at his prime.

+1, Guys who never saw him who played in his prime shoudn't comment

#8 allornothing

allornothing

Rookie

• 195 posts

Posted October 27, 2008 - 05:58 PM

Even with the Kings, Vlade redeemed himself by passing to Robert HOrry in the WCF. He's a Laker at heart man.

#9 Imadogg

Imadogg

Rookie

• 0 posts

Posted October 27, 2008 - 06:00 PM

Even with the Kings, Vlade redeemed himself by passing to Robert HOrry in the WCF. He's a Laker at heart man.

LMAO

Vlade is an all-time bigman passer, Gasol isn't. Easy.

My dad has a pic with him haha, he looks like a midget next to Divac

#10 popo

popo

Nawab

• 15,221 posts

Posted October 27, 2008 - 06:06 PM

Exactly.
Team Farmar

Team Pau

Team Ron Ron

#11 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,776 posts

Posted October 27, 2008 - 07:15 PM

Yeah...Vlade is easily the best passing big the Lakers have had in the last 20+ years. Pau is good but not that good.

Vlade was one of my favorite Lakers during his first stint with the Lakers. Funny, skilled and a player you WANTED to root for. He was one of the FIRST European SuperStars.

I'm not sure Pau is that much better as a scorer though. Vlade had many, many post moves. He had a great mid range game. And he had a GENIUS B-Ball IQ.

#12 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,847 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted October 27, 2008 - 07:23 PM

Wow GCMD, you said Vlade and genius in the same sentence.

I hardly think Vlade had a genius basketball I.Q.. The guy knew how to play, the problem was he played a small forward game in a center's body. He may hve been a great guy off the court, but on it, he was mediocre at best.

I don't know if anyone here got to see his entire run, but I did. He was alright. There was honestly nothing above par with Vlade as opposed to other big men. He was soft when it mattered most, played minimal if any defense and if he did play paint D, he always backed down to his opponent. There was no toughness in Vlade's game at perhaps the position that calls for the most toughness.

I think his role on the Lakers has gotten romanticized over time, because the guy was aggravating to watch. Towards the end of his Laker tenure there was often a chorus of boos when he came onto the court or at various times during his play. He was a good passer, I'll give him that, but calling the guy a basketball genius is pretty hilarious to me.

Comparing a guy who has finished his career to a guy who is still building his, is always flawed. As of right now, nobody knows how Pau's career will end upowith the Lakers. To compare an active player to a player who has called it a day, is dicey at best.

#13 Kenrae

Kenrae

Metal Mutant

• 954 posts

Posted October 28, 2008 - 05:10 AM

Not as easy, both are. But I'd give the notch to Vlade. Pau is the better scorer by far, though.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent

#14 fanboyslim

fanboyslim

Rookie

• 238 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem

Posted October 28, 2008 - 09:42 AM

Career APG:
Vlade - 3.1
Pau - 3.1

Career PPG:
Vlade - 11.8
Pau - 18.1

Now, Vlade was absolutely funnier.

BTW, I'm old enough to remember Vlade when he played for Partizan Belgrade and Yugoslavia before jumping to the NBA.

#15 Kenrae

Kenrae

Metal Mutant

• 954 posts

Posted October 28, 2008 - 01:01 PM

BTW, I'm old enough to remember Vlade when he played for Partizan Belgrade and Yugoslavia before jumping to the NBA.

Me too. I always liked his game.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent

#16 kobynum

kobynum

Panic eliminator

• 10,358 posts
  • Name:LA Pharaoh
  • Fan Since:In Los Angeles, LA fandom is a birthrite
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba and Magic

Posted October 29, 2008 - 05:44 PM

i think Vlade and Gasol are even in passing and Pau is the better scorer. pau needs to be on a team that matters for a significant period of time to be considered "all time" anything
Again - this team, as currently constructed won't make it out of the second round of the playoffs, let alone the West or win the Finals.---fido on 2011 Lakers

#17 gcclaker

gcclaker

I Bleed Purple And Gold!

• 750 posts
  • Fan Since:The Glory Days of Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Michael Cooper DPOY 1987

Posted October 30, 2008 - 10:07 AM

Divac is craftier passer than Gasol though the latter will now have the opportunity to show that skill having better teammates than what he had in Memphis. Gasol has the edge on offense since he has a variety of moves on the low block. Defensively, Divac knows how to draw the charge when he falls down. Gasol falls down for no reason sometimes. Personality wise, Divac hands down. You can't go wrong with someone who looks like Yakov Smirnoff and has the same sense of humor. LOL! I've since forgiven him for being a Sacramento King.

Edited by gcclaker, October 30, 2008 - 10:09 AM.

Five guys on the court working together can achieve more than five talented individuals who come and go as individuals.
-Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

#18 Texas_Pete

Texas_Pete

Rookie

• 55 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Ariza

Posted October 31, 2008 - 06:20 AM

Gotta go with Pau overall. Pau is doing work against more athletic players. If Vlade was our starting 4, I'm not sure he could duplicate the same results. Besides, Vlade pissed me off as a King with all of his flopping. :rock:

BTW, that was a funny vid! :lol:

#19 G-Small

G-Small

Lakers World Order

• 441 posts
  • Name:G-Small
  • Fan Since:1988
  • Fav. Laker:Nickey Maxwell VanExel III

Posted October 31, 2008 - 07:31 AM

Vlade was waaaaaay funnier, but Pau is light years ahead of Divac when it comes to basketball. Not even close.

#20 phifedogg76

phifedogg76

I left my wallet in El Segundo's practice facility

• 1,838 posts
  • Name:Joe $
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Shaq and Kobe

Posted October 31, 2008 - 05:21 PM

Pau is a very good and skilled bigman, his scoring and shotblocking is much much better than vlade's, but like everyone else, i think vlade's passing is better than pau's (but not by that much imo, i just think he idolized magic so much he tried to personify him on the court by trying "showtime-esque" passing), but both have very high bball iq's ..... also, the hornets MUST HAVE thought vlade was really good to give up the 13th pick in the draft, people just dont give away picks that high for nothing dont you think

but for now, vlade is the funnier one and more loved, pau is still kinda new but i think within this year he probably will surpass vlade in the "most loved" department due to our (hopefull) upcoming success

Edited by phifedogg76, October 31, 2008 - 05:22 PM.

Posted Image

Go Lakeshow!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users