65 replies to this topic

#61 viktorkain

viktorkain

Rookie

• 365 posts
  • Name:Viktor Kain
  • Fan Since:1979

Posted January 09, 2013 - 01:54 PM

I not talking about all around shooting. I am referring to 3point %... You could be the best in the world but with little to know playing time ( How would you fair?)

We are talking about last season with the lakers where he did play and shot 37% from 3, that is not horrible but it was not good enough for them to keep him.

#62 t-1

t-1

Rookie

• 559 posts
  • Fan Since:2009
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 09, 2013 - 02:44 PM

I liked Goudelock and wanted lakers to keep him, but if we are honest he is not what we need. We are scoring alot of points, we dont need more scorers, we need better defence.

#63 integrate0

integrate0

Rookie

• 73 posts
  • Name:j
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:magic

Posted January 09, 2013 - 03:25 PM

He def can create his own shot

Thank goodness he made those shots, because he missed a handful of passes to Bynum for an easy dunk. This is probably why he got cut - his passing ability is lacking. Him and Meeks are actually similar in terms of driving to the basket: Goudelock will drive and automatically go for the floater where Meeks will try to take it to the rim - they are both not surveying the court to pass the ball at that point. Neither of them have patience, it seems.

Fortunately, Goudelock's passing can get better and he's set up the defense by having a floater and midrange to open up the center for an easy score (i.e. CP3). Meeks has neither of these things, or sure hasn't tried to show it. For Goudelock, it doesn't seem like he can finish at the rim like Meeks can potentially do and they're equally bad at defense. They seem close in athleticism and foot speed. Goudelock definitely has hops -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSuywOZ4H8c

In terms of overall ball handling, who really knows, but it does seem like Goudelock is more adept at beating a player one-on-one. Neither of them were in systems that dictated lots of ball handling. Jodie could be much more effective and dangerous if he learned how to draw fouls since he's such a good free throw shooter, so it makes sense why he keeps driving to the whole. The problem? He has no moves by the time gets to the actual basket so it's really easy to block him.

Overall, it was actually a clear choice for the Lakers: Meeks had similar 3pointer %, more consistent FG%, and more experience (knows opposition better).

With ALL that being said, I still would prefer Goudelock. Meeks has been in the NBA for over 3 years and hasn't shown ANY growth. He plays defense like he's in college (and that's not a good thing) and he's truly a one trick pony. Unless he somehow acquires JJ Reddick's soul and gets better, he's not going to progress as a player to a desirable level. Goudelock at least has shown he can 3 key elements for an undersized two: 3 pointer, floater, and pull-up midrange. He has the foundation for a smaller player to succeed. He will learn to defend and pass, something Jodie is unwilling to do.

Anyone watch Jeff Van Gundy just blast Jodie during the Clippers game?

#64 integrate0

integrate0

Rookie

• 73 posts
  • Name:j
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:magic

Posted January 09, 2013 - 03:34 PM

Meeks is a 3 year player that has started in this league and scored against starting lineups and shut down and scotched Ray Allen.

Those are things Goudelock will NEVER do in his 2nd year, he isn't even in the NBA in his 2nd year. To try to insinuate he's a better scorer than Meeks is, is an insult to Meeks.

Goudelock had a stretch of 5 good games and suddenly he's a better shooter than Meeks?

Meeks has done this for seasons, at a higher effective level while being a better defender than Goudelock.

Goudelock isn't a better all around shooter than Meeks. Even when we were talking about getting Meeks and I said there was no point because where Meeks is, Goudelock was gonna be within 2 years.

Goudelock is still years behind Meeks in terms of development and dependability.

5 good games from Goudelock in his rookie season doesn't trump anything Meeks has done. Meeks had 5 good games this year, he averaged 17 points coming off the bench.

Goudelock isn't going to do that right now in his career. Not anytime soon and definitely not in the NBA.

Watch Goudelock in the pre-season, what did he do? he hit a three...

But he's worse at taking it to the basket than Meeks, all he has is his floater and he wasn't even knocking that down with regularity, missing 75% of the ones he took in the Summer League and in the pre-season.

He also is a worse dribbler than Meeks which is saying something.

One thing I will say about Goudelock is that he MAY, he MAY one day be a more accurate three point shooter one day. It's not today, but one day. But the other aspects of his game is so weak, that he'll never be an upgrade to Meeks until years from now and that's only if Meeks remained as he is now and if Goudelock became extremely better.

Meeks is a capable starter in this league. Goudelock has yet to become a capable dependable 3rd player off the bench.

That's the difference.

You had me at "Meeks is a capable starter in this league."

3 point shooters are dime-a-dozen and Meeks is one of them and completely expendable.

• 40,404 posts

Posted January 11, 2013 - 10:40 PM

Call him up! We need better 3PT shooters if we're gonna' continue to shoot so many. Meeks frustrates me too much as well. Can't even create his own shot seemingly. Bet he wishes he had Glock's deadly floater.

yo.

#66 Warren2ThaG

Warren2ThaG

• 7,484 posts
  • Name:Danny P
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 11, 2013 - 10:43 PM

Call him up! We need better 3PT shooters if we're gonna' continue to shoot so many. Meeks frustrates me too much as well. Can't even create his own shot seemingly. Bet he wishes he had Glock's deadly floater.

id rather sign Maurice Evans

All About Tha NW

russelwilsonfinalforums.jpg
"It's gonna take the man in me to conquer this insanity..." -Tupac.
-----------------------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users