Photo

LA Injuries: Howard (Day-To-Day) / Gasol (Plantar Fascitis Sprain, MRI Today)

• Please log in to reply
443 replies to this topic

#321 muncher

muncher

Rookie

• 512 posts
  • Name:Simon
  • Fav. Laker:Gary Vitti

Posted January 15, 2013 - 10:10 PM

sign a decent back up gaurd with Hills money!

• 40,365 posts

Posted January 15, 2013 - 10:55 PM

Wow Steve Blake, just wow, really?

yo.

#323 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 21,333 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 15, 2013 - 11:37 PM

Kobe Bryant understands completely what Pau Gasol’s going through with his week-long concussion.

Bryant suffered one last season during the 2012 NBA All-Star game after Dwyane Wade accidentally elbowed him in the nose. Gasol suffered one last week during the Lakers’ loss Jan. 6 over the Denver Nuggets after JaVale McGee accidentally elbowed his nose.

Even though Bryant rightfully pointed out there’s nothing anyone can do to “expedite” his recovery, he also expressed irritation over how the Lakers’ forward has handled it.

“I was a little angry with him the other day because he’s coming to practice and coming to the games,” Bryant said. “Stay home. Cut all the lights off. Just rest. Let your brain rest. But he wants to be around [the team]. That’s the type of teammate he is.”

Gasol has sat on the Lakers’ bench in the past two contests, including the Lakers’ 104-88 victory Tuesday over the Milwaukee Bucks. Players, including Gasol, are advised to avoid bright lights and noise after having a concussion. It’s possible Gasol has progressed in that stage since Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni said the Lakers forward has participated in light shooting drills.

Still, an NBA official has said each player must pass a series of tests symptom free, including stationary bike, light jogging, running, jumping and agility drills, team drills with limited contact and returning to the court without limitations. With Gasol still lacking any medical clearance, he hasn’t passed at least some of the tests.

Bryant managed to receive medical clearance three days after the concussion and didn’t miss any games, partly because he spent every waking hour in dark rooms with minimal noise. He continued that process between games. Bryant also wore a plastic mask to protect the whiplash and tenderness of a broken nose.

“That’s the difference between me and him,” Bryant said. “I’ll stay home and cut the damn lights off. He’s more of a team guy. He wants to be around the fellas. He wants to do his treatment around the fellas.”

Nonetheless, Bryant said he’s “not concerned” on whether Gasol will recover. He will visit with neurologist Dr. Vern Williams Wednesday in what will mark his sixth visit since nursing the concussion.

“It just takes time,” Bryant said. “There’s nothing you can do really to expedite it. It’s not a muscle. You can’t massage it. There’s nothing you can do. You just rest.”

http://www.insidesocal.com/lakers/2013/01/15/kobe-bryant-wishes-pau-gasol-has-handled-concussion-differently/

#324 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted January 16, 2013 - 12:18 AM

Wow Steve Blake, just wow, really?

Who cares? Not much of a difference between him and Duhon. Blake is better defensively, but Duhon is the more consistent shooter.

In short they both suck.
htCCl0m.png

#325 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,701 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted January 16, 2013 - 12:20 AM

Who cares? Not much of a difference between him and Duhon. Blake is better defensively, but Duhon is the more consistent shooter.

In short they both suck.

lol duhon is our best defending pg blake cant guard
Posted Image

#326 J-H!zZl3

J-H!zZl3

New season, same goal.

• 13,773 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Worthy, Kareem, Kobe

Posted January 16, 2013 - 06:53 AM

lol duhon is our best defending pg blake cant guard

No Duhon is not the Lakers best defender at the PG position. Darius Morris is and I don't really consider Morris a PG but regardless, you get my point.

Posted Image

#327 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&#

• 23,006 posts
  • Name:Kyler Hay
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Nash.Young, Farmar

Posted January 16, 2013 - 12:09 PM

Mike Trudell@LakersReporter
Pau Gasol went through shooting drills & is playing some 3 on 3. He will be re-evaluated later today to determine status for tomorrow

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#328 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

• 23,006 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 12:53 PM

Mike Trudell@LakersReporter

Pau Gasol said he’s passed some of the concussion tests, needs to see the Dr. tomorrow for final clearance but is optimistic.

#329 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

• 23,006 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 01:03 PM

Mark Medina@MedinaLakersNBA

Pau Gasol said he & coaching staff has talked about him coming off the bench to phase him back in the lineup

#330 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,701 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted January 16, 2013 - 02:48 PM

This can turn into a permanent thing if it works out
Posted Image

#331 Drazard

Drazard

The Death Bringer

• 1,740 posts
  • Name:Drazard

Posted January 16, 2013 - 02:55 PM

yes backup center THANK YOU !

33bkfif.jpg

#332 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Zankyou no Terror

• 8,381 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 04:31 PM

Blake, we need you buddy!

MMiRi9s.png

#333 muncher

muncher

Rookie

• 512 posts

Posted January 16, 2013 - 06:41 PM

Source: http://blog.lakers.c...asol-and-blake/

The Lakers are getting closer to being at full strength for the first time this season.
After an abbreviated practice session on Wednesday, Pau Gasol (concussion) and Steve Blake (abdomen/groin) took part in a 3-on-3 scrimmage, with Gasol a possibility to return as soon as Thursday against Miami, and Blake out for at least a while longer.
Gasol has missed the team’s last five games since suffering the concussion against Denver on Jan. 6, but has improved in the past few days and passed some of the NBA-mandated concussion tests. He’ll still need to be cleared by Dr. Williams on Thursday prior to the game, but at this point the Spaniard is optimistic.
“I feel better – a lot better, actually,” he said. “I feel 100 percent now. Got a good workout in today and everything felt good. Tomorrow will be a go.”
In his mind, at least, as we’ll remind again that he’ll need final approval from the doctor. Regardless, it’s been a difficult week and change for Gasol, battling his first concussion.
“It’s been a learning experience,” he said. “The struggling of getting up every day and not getting better, constant headaches, being bothered by light or noise and not knowing what the next day will be like or not knowing when you’ll be healthy. You do a little research about concussions and it’s an unfortunate hit, but those can happen any day or any game. If you get concussed the second time, it’s a lot more dangerous.”
He initially failed certain tests, such as card games to see how one’s mind reacts, but finally passed them and thus was able to resume some basketball activity today.
If Gasol does return against the defending NBA champs, that will move Earl Clark to the bench, where his energy and versatility can be a big bonus for the Lakers. Clark actually missed Wednesday’s practice with gastroenteritis, so his status is “questionable” for Thursday.
Otherwise, Blake is the only player on the roster that will still be expected to be out for a few games as he sees how far he can push his abdominal/groin area, and if he can play through the current discomfort he’s feeling.
“Am I going to benefit the team by not playing at 100 percent?, he asked. “If the answer is yes, then I’ll do what I can do play through it. If I can’t, then I’ll sit out.”
It hasn’t been an easy process for the feisty point guard, who hasn’t played since Nov. 11.
“It’s frustrating when you think you’re going to heal and be totally OK, and then take care of one thing, and it just magnifies another issue that I was having,” said Blake. “It’s part of the game, things you have to deal with your body, things are all kind of connected and they go together. You have to deal with it and do what you can.”
Just as the Lakers have throughout an injury-plagued season out of which they’re hoping takes a turn for the positive.

Edited by muncher, January 16, 2013 - 06:42 PM.

#334 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 21,333 posts

Posted January 17, 2013 - 10:55 AM

@DuranSports

Pau will play but NOT start says D'Antoni

#335 Drazard

Drazard

The Death Bringer

• 1,740 posts
  • Name:Drazard

Posted January 19, 2013 - 08:24 AM

@DuranSports
Pau will play but NOT start says D'Antoni

THANK YOU !

33bkfif.jpg

• 40,365 posts

Posted January 19, 2013 - 12:58 PM

So what's the latest on Steve Blake?

yo.

#337 t-1

t-1

Rookie

• 559 posts
  • Fan Since:2009
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 19, 2013 - 03:22 PM

Breaking news: Magic Johnson has agreed to donate half his game to steve blake in the first ever Skills transplant surgery in America.

• 40,365 posts

Posted January 21, 2013 - 09:54 PM

Any updates on Steve Blake? Is he out for the season?

yo.

#339 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 35,812 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 22, 2013 - 04:32 AM

Any updates on Steve Blake? Is he out for the season?

We'll have an update after the road trip.

He's been practicing and beat Steve Nash in consecutive three pointers in one.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#340 muncher

muncher

Rookie

• 512 posts

Posted January 22, 2013 - 08:45 PM

Not much of an update, but for those who care:

Posted Jan 22, 2013 10:42 PM

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. (AP) -- Los Angeles Lakers forward Jordan Hill will have surgery on his left hip on Wednesday.

The team says Hill was examined Tuesday by a doctor in Nashville, Tenn. Hill was told on Jan. 12 that he needed season-ending surgery and he decided to get a second opinion.
Hill got hurt on Jan. 6 against Denver. He is averaging 6.7 points and 5.7 rebounds as the Lakers' top backup big man in his first full season with the team.
The team says an estimate on Hill's recovery time will be provided after the surgery.

Edited by muncher, January 22, 2013 - 08:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users