Photo

Slight reason to be positive - Schedule gets a bit easier further into the season

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 leor_77

leor_77

Hall Of Fame

• 8,410 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 10:54 PM

I glanced over our schedule, and I'm not going to lie to you...January is just flat-out brutal...BUT, February is easier, and March is a lot easier, with the exception of April, which will be tough. We're going to have a rough couple of games coming up, but if we can tread water and hold down the fort, we'll have a lot of winning games ahead of us.

I can just tell you right now, that the Clippers December looked a lot like our upcoming March. No doubt they're balling, but the win streak had a lot to do with their favorable December schedule (see their losses @ Denver and @GS recently). Don't worry Clippers fans lurking on here, you're still way, way better than us right now, regardless of schedule or anything else...

You also have to take into account the fact that the teams we're competing with will also eventually have to run into the same rough parts of their schedule that we're in the process of, right now. Again, just to recap what I already said, I'm talking about a "slight" reason to have optimism here.

February

Min, Det, Brk, Bos, Cha, Mia, Phx, LAC, Bos, Por, Dal, Den, Min

March

Atl, OKC, NOH, Tor, Chi, Orl, Atl, Ind, Sac, Phx, Was, GS, Min, Mil, Sac,

April

Dal, Mem, LAC, Noh, Por, GS, SAS, Hou

Edited by leor_77, January 06, 2013 - 11:04 PM.

#2 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 06, 2013 - 10:57 PM

And they'll be 6 games under 500 after the next 4 games.

The season is over.

The reality of the situation is that the Lakers have now dug such a deep hole that there's no getting out. They'd be best to make a couple deals, sit anyone not 100% and look to next year.

#3 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,925 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 06, 2013 - 11:00 PM

April is no good. This current team, the way they are today, COULD lose any given game to Memphis, Clippers, Portland, Golden State, San Antonio, and Houston. With Dirk back in Dallas, that's also a game they could lose.

Assuming we improve even a little bit, a lot of those games may still be losses.

March looks decent if we can improve, but 10 of those 15 are on the road...including a stretch where we go on the road for eight of 10.

#4 leor_77

leor_77

Hall Of Fame

• 8,410 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 11:06 PM

April is no good. This current team, the way they are today, COULD lose any given game to Memphis, Clippers, Portland, Golden State, San Antonio, and Houston. With Dirk back in Dallas, that's also a game they could lose.

Assuming we improve even a little bit, a lot of those games may still be losses.

March looks decent if we can improve, but 10 of those 15 are on the road...including a stretch where we go on the road for eight of 10.

Thanks for catching that - I meant to say February and March - I worded that wrong. The thing is, though...If you take a team like Houston. They're doing sooo good, but in reality, if you look at their schedule, they've gone against quite a bit of cupcake teams. Eventually they will struggle, and we will get the same cupcake teams and will make our push. Not saying it will be enough, but I'm at least a little bit more optimistic than I was before looking over the schedule entirely.

Other than that, I'm not trying to convince anyone anything. You all can look at the facts, and make your own judgements.

Edited by leor_77, January 06, 2013 - 11:07 PM.

#5 ____

____

Superstar

• 7,145 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 11:08 PM

Schedule may look easy, but this team makes it so damn hard on themselves that the only thing they make easy is finding ways to lose games. This team has no identity and no winning mentality.

Dudes are losing games at home to teams that are [expletive]ing terrible on the road, and the Lakers are a pathetic road team in their own right at 5-10.

Lakers may have to pull some miracles outta their asses the rest of the way, something like winning maybe at least 35 games out of the 49 games left to even be a lower 6-8 seed in the playoffs. Other than that, they might as well start preparing for next season.

#6 leor_77

leor_77

Hall Of Fame

• 8,410 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 11:15 PM

Schedule may look easy, but this team makes it so damn hard on themselves that the only thing they make easy is finding ways to lose games. This team has no identity and no winning mentality.

Dudes are losing games at home to teams that are [expletive]ing terrible on the road, and the Lakers are a pathetic road team in their own right at 5-10.

Lakers may have to pull some miracles outta their asses the rest of the way, something like winning maybe at least 35 games out of the 49 games left to even be a lower 6-8 seed in the playoffs. Other than that, they might as well start preparing for next season.

Lol yeah you are correct - Even I'll admit, I'm grasping at straws here. All any Lakers fan can do at this point.

#7 Projekt

Projekt

Sixth Man

• 3,062 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Derek Fisher

Posted January 06, 2013 - 11:23 PM

This is a team that struggled to beat the Bobcats. It doesn't matter who's on the schedule.

#8 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,925 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 06, 2013 - 11:25 PM

Just to take in how much of a hole we've created here...

We are 11 games behind the Thunder in the Western Conference.

Toronto and Orlando are 11.5 games behind Miami in the East.

#9 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,281 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 11:36 PM

We can't even compete with .500 line, lol are we gonna make the playoffs in West with that record? Nah.

#10 Rad

Rad

• 1,644 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 11:37 PM

Easier? The current team/roster just barely win against sub-par teams and struggle against average teams. Nothing is going to become easier for this team.

#11 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Kimagure Orange Road

• 9,040 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Grant

Posted January 07, 2013 - 12:04 AM

Lakers dug themselves into the Mariana Trench.

No one can help them other than themselves.

"You watch anime?"

- "Yeah, I just got into it! Just recently, I just started watching Attack on Ti-"

"Get away from me, pleb."

#12 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 11,910 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 07, 2013 - 12:07 AM

This team as it is can't help themselves that much is clear.

#13 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,281 posts

Posted January 07, 2013 - 12:40 AM

Posted Imagejadande J.A. Adande
2004-05 Lakers, w/Chucky Atkins at PG & Chris Mihm at C, were 18-15 after 33 games. 33 games into 2012-13, w/Nash & Dwight, LAL are 15-18

#14 Mehran The Great

Mehran The Great

Immortal

• 2,841 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24

Posted January 07, 2013 - 12:45 AM

As much I hate to say it. We suck but being optimistic. I think lakers will win 50 wins this year. Still disgusting.

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

#15 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Kimagure Orange Road

• 9,040 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Grant

Posted January 07, 2013 - 12:56 AM

^ that's such a stretch to say, man.

Until we see a major turn around with the Lakers, as in not just glimpses, they can probably win 40 games in the season.

"You watch anime?"

- "Yeah, I just got into it! Just recently, I just started watching Attack on Ti-"

"Get away from me, pleb."

#16 reryo

reryo

Rookie

• 1,332 posts
  • Name:Lee
  • Fan Since:2006
  • Fav. Laker:Odom

Posted January 07, 2013 - 01:06 AM

Posted Imagejadande J.A. Adande
2004-05 Lakers, w/Chucky Atkins at PG & Chris Mihm at C, were 18-15 after 33 games. 33 games into 2012-13, w/Nash & Dwight, LAL are 15-18

To be fair, the western conference wasn't as stacked back then. And this year's team wouldn't be sub .500 either if they had the '05-'06 Kobe.

#17 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,969 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted January 07, 2013 - 01:08 AM

Unless a trade happens soon theres nothing to be optimistic aout

#18 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,969 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted January 07, 2013 - 01:09 AM

To be fair, the western conference wasn't as stacked back then. And this year's team wouldn't be sub .500 either if they had the '05-'06 Kobe.

Kobe is having one of his best season in years. Pretty sure that doesnt make any change.

#19 reryo

reryo

Rookie

• 1,332 posts
  • Name:Lee
  • Fan Since:2006
  • Fav. Laker:Odom

Posted January 07, 2013 - 01:12 AM

Kobe is having one of his best season in years. Pretty sure that doesnt make any change.

His DEFENSE and ATHLETICISM, two areas everyone has been crying about with this team. This guy used to do chasedown blocks like Lebron does now.

#20 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,090 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 07, 2013 - 01:14 AM

or 08-10 Pau.

But if you want optimism or positives here it is.

Nash is starting to look to score and attack more and playing off of Kobe more often getting him wide open threes.
Nash and Dwight's chemistry is improving as he's finding him much more often.
They are starting to run double screen sets like the one Gasol got the alley oop off of.
Dwight is starting to run the floor again
Dwight is starting to become a rebounding monster again
Dwight's stamina seems to be getting better
Kobe and Dwight's chemistry also seem to be improving
Hil's game is coming around nicely and he fits well with the lineup when he's in
Metta seems to be coming out of his slump somewhat
Meeks seems to be coming out of his slump somewhat
Overall team body language was good as in terms they played like they liked each other which seems to be how everyone was trying to talk about, well they played with a lot more unity today.
If this team didn't start the season 1-4 then we'd be 2 games above 500 and around the 7th or 8 seed. As it stands we are a game out of the 8th seed as of right now which could increase as other teams actually catch up to the amount of games. So my optimism will only grow if our defensive consistencies do. If we start quarters holding teams to 0-9 shooting the score should be 0 to 15 at the very least. I liked how we looked tonight when Dwight was in, hated our rebounding when he was out. Like how we clamped down on defense at tne end of the 2nd and into the 3rd to get our lead, but then everyone got lazy when we got a lead as if Denver was going away....

I love that the game was close in the 4th.. HATE that Kobe was the only Laker with a field goal or even scoring in the 4th, who along with Earl Clark were the only 4th quarter scorers.

Although all those positives mean nothing with the inconsistency on the defensive end or the lack of aggression for 48 minutes of Pau Gasol. The most discerning fact is that our defense was in the game early, and we held the Nuggets 0-9 at the start of the game but we didn't capitalize them.

So they are chipping away and getting better and more cohesive but the problem tonight was not being aggressive in the paint, NOT taking advantage of our defensive stops, and Gasol looking old school in the first half and disappearing in the 2nd half. A trend all too familiar. if Hill could hit his mid range shot with regularity I'd feel better about it. But in all honesty Hill SHOULD be starting and Pau SHOULD be coming off the bench where his half of effort may actually be deemed useful. The other downer is that Duhon is only effected for 2 minutes a game, before the defense realizes he's Chris Duhon and stops giving him any attention defensively so his assists disappear. Know why they do? They play him close early on after he comes in and he converts with his assists because he knows the system.

However when the other team figures out he is NO offensive threat to him whatsoever they start gambling on other players because they know Duhon isn't going to burn them with any shot to keep them honest. Something they can't do with someone like Steve Blake but he's injured. Duhon is a liability UNLESS he looks to score, and I don't see that happening anytime soon.

It will take a "collective" effort by everyone on this team.

Steve Nash was correct when he said that we ARE getting better but not good enough to have anything to show for it.

So true as of right now.

As much I hate to say it. We suck but being optimistic. I think lakers will win 50 wins this year. Still disgusting.

Goes with what Kobe said just a few hours ago after the game.

Posted Image Kobe Bryant@kobebryant
"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will" Gandhi On to the next one. Keep focus.

A strength that come and goers refuse to have. No one endures what he is as he's the actual; one going through it on the inside and not on the outside looking in. Indomitable will is important, especially in times like this.

Edited by Majesty, January 07, 2013 - 01:25 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users