#1 zmarchbank

zmarchbank

Rookie

• 132 posts
  • Name:Zach
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Pau, Fisher

Posted January 06, 2013 - 03:20 PM

The more the Lakers play, the more I think they just don't have the talent to be as good as everyone thought they were. The dead weight with horrible contracts on this team is killing them.

Metta World Peace - He makes 7.2 a year and in my opinion is no better than vet's minimum level player. He is way overpaid and at this point, it's not that he's just underachieving. With the salary chunk he takes up, he's hurting the team far more than he's helping.

Pau Gasol - He's making over 2x as much as he should. He should be around Metta's current salary in my opinion, and that's assuming he can be even a shell of the player he was in 2009. He could be done as a productive big man. But I think if he was a 7 million a year player the expectations would be more in line with his abilities and he wouldn't be so bad anymore. I've tried to defend him for years but it's just getting to the point where I can't anymore. Either he's no good or he's not right for the system. Either way, at 19 million he's hurting way more than he's helping.

Steve Blake - Definitely a veteran's minimum player. Overpaid and doesn't contribute enough to warrant a 4 million a year salary when he's on the court.

Chris Duhon - goes without saying. Bad contract, below average player.

Jordan Hill and Jodie Meeks - These are the types of players/contracts we need to have outside the stars. They're players that fit a certain role and are on really good contracts. Also it's much more tolerable to have a 2-3 million dollar player under-perform than a player of Gasol's contract.

I honestly don't know if we can compete until after next year when all the contracts come off the books and we can reload with players that are worthy of their contracts and role players that don't make 8 million a year and actually contribute. As it stands now we have the highest paid role player in the league in Pau Gasol. He contributes nothing more than a good role player but makes among the highest salaries in the league. That is not a recipe for a championship team. Our cap situation is no better than Brooklyn, who has too much money tied up in Joe Johnson and Lopez. They're stuck in cap hell and so are we. Luckily we get some relief in two years.

I also think the chemistry of this team is a problem, whether people want to say it's overblown or not. It may not implode like Shaq and Kobe did, but their lack of chemistry is a problem.

I'm going to continue to watch every game and be a fan, but I'm officially a member of the doom and gloom group. I hope they can prove me wrong.

Edited by zmarchbank, January 06, 2013 - 03:24 PM.

#2 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted January 06, 2013 - 03:28 PM

Dead weight in order Pau Steve Blake MWP
Posted Image

#3 haztronic

haztronic

From Laguna/Love the Lakers

• 336 posts
  • Name:Harry
  • Fan Since:1993
  • Fav. Laker:KB

Posted January 06, 2013 - 03:33 PM

I've been talking about this over paid roster for months now. You are right, its ridiculous some of the contracts the Lakers have, and its even more ridiculous how we have the highest payed roster in the league and were not even in the playoff picture! How does that even make sense?!
DIE HARD LAKER FAN 4 LIFE!

#4 Alpha Four

Alpha Four

Fugitive Alien

• 501 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 06, 2013 - 04:53 PM

LOL@ People saying MWP is dead weight. Dude's been good this season. If anybody is dead weight it's probably Duhon/Clark. Possibly Gasol as well.

MDADefense_zpsb51f57fb.jpg

#5 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,275 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted January 06, 2013 - 04:59 PM

LOL@ People saying MWP is dead weight. Dude's been good this season. If anybody is dead weight it's probably Duhon/Clark. Possibly Gasol as well.

Every team has players like that.

#6 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 06, 2013 - 09:37 PM

He's not dead weight, but he is overpaid. He's also not quite the defensive stopper he used to be.

This is just my opinion, but I think this team would do good by getting rid of Duhon/Blake (unless signed for less)/Clark/Morris/Ebanks/Pau/DJO.

I'm on the fence with Metta. I love him and he's played fairly well, but I think he is paid too much for what he does at this point in his career. I honestly thought he was going to get amnestied awhile ago. Jamison hasn't done anything to really help us but at the vet's minimum he's not really hurting us financially by us taking a shot at signing him. Too much money tied up in old/under producing/not producing players though really costs us depth wise.

#7 Hollywood

Hollywood

"Hey Now"

• 17,703 posts
  • Name:Fernando
  • Fan Since:Kobe Shaq Era
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Shaq, West, D12?

Posted January 06, 2013 - 09:37 PM

lol
Posted Image

#8 EJ06

EJ06

Rookie

• 775 posts
  • Fan Since:1995-96

Posted January 06, 2013 - 09:43 PM

MWP is ok when he doesn't have to handle the ball. I don't know what the [expletive] has gotten in his head, but as hes aged he seems bent on playing PG.

#9 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,881 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted January 06, 2013 - 09:45 PM

Watching him dribble out the clock then miss his iso play tends to lend to the belief that he isn't very good. His play is similar to almost the whole roster. Good for two quarters, bad for two b

#10 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 09:57 PM

Watching him dribble out the clock then miss his iso play tends to lend to the belief that he isn't very good. His play is similar to almost the whole roster. Good for two quarters, bad for two b

Yeah, there will always be WTF moments with Artest on offense.

#11 zmarchbank

zmarchbank

Rookie

• 132 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 10:31 PM

He's not dead weight, but he is overpaid. He's also not quite the defensive stopper he used to be.

This is just my opinion, but I think this team would do good by getting rid of Duhon/Blake (unless signed for less)/Clark/Morris/Ebanks/Pau/DJO.

I'm on the fence with Metta. I love him and he's played fairly well, but I think he is paid too much for what he does at this point in his career. I honestly thought he was going to get amnestied awhile ago. Jamison hasn't done anything to really help us but at the vet's minimum he's not really hurting us financially by us taking a shot at signing him. Too much money tied up in old/under producing/not producing players though really costs us depth wise.

He's way overpaid. If he were a free agent right now, I seriously can't imagine a team giving him much more than vet's min. There are tons of players who could contribute what he contributes at this point, and do it for a lot less.

#12 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 10:33 PM

He's way overpaid. If he were a free agent right now, I seriously can't imagine a team giving him much more than vet's min. There are tons of players who could contribute what he contributes at this point, and do it for a lot less.

Yeah, agreed.

My love for him is based more or less on his lack of sanity and what ensues with that.

#13 zmarchbank

zmarchbank

Rookie

• 132 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 10:45 PM

Yeah, agreed.

My love for him is based more or less on his lack of sanity and what ensues with that.

I understand. I always tend to defend players longer than they probably deserve to be but I just don't think there's any defending him or pau anymore.

Bottom line is I think this team has no shot at a finals appearance and very little to make the playoffs. Until we get younger and deeper with players who play defense and have a desire to win, I don't think we'll be having any success. This current roster isn't any of those things.

And Kobe is my favorite player and I hate to say it but until he decides to accept that he's not quite the dominant scoring force he was and he needs to help create an atmosphere where other people want to play with him, I think we may be in trouble.

#14 hotpocket

hotpocket

Rookie

• 933 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 10:53 PM

I understand. I always tend to defend players longer than they probably deserve to be but I just don't think there's any defending him or pau anymore.

Bottom line is I think this team has no shot at a finals appearance and very little to make the playoffs. Until we get younger and deeper with players who play defense and have a desire to win, I don't think we'll be having any success. This current roster isn't any of those things.

And Kobe is my favorite player and I hate to say it but until he decides to accept that he's not quite the dominant scoring force he was and he needs to help create an atmosphere where other people want to play with him, I think we may be in trouble.

Agreed with you until the Kobe part.

Yeah, he's not what he was in his 20's, but he is dominate this year. He's having a great year. We just aren't winning by letting Kobe do it all though.

RealDeal's posted about it in another thread, but the main changes we need (imo) are Pau traded for a scorer off the bench and defensive player(s), a good defensive coach, change in offensive philosophy/strategy, and health. Then we've got a shot.

#15 zmarchbank

zmarchbank

Rookie

• 132 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 11:01 PM

Agreed with you until the Kobe part.

Yeah, he's not what he was in his 20's, but he is dominate this year. He's having a great year. We just aren't winning by letting Kobe do it all though.

RealDeal's posted about it in another thread, but the main changes we need (imo) are Pau traded for a scorer off the bench and defensive player(s), a good defensive coach, change in offensive philosophy/strategy, and health. Then we've got a shot.

I just think something about the way kobe plays/is makes people just check out sometimes. We've seen it for years. When he gets the ball people just stand around. Kobe's pretty individualistic and if he needs to make others feel more included then that's what I think he should do. He can't do it by himself and that's been proven this year more than any. One of his best years are being wasted.

When things go badly I think his instinct is to yell and gripe until the players around him fix it. But maybe that just doesn't fit the dynamic of THIS specific team. Obviously there's some disconnect between him and Dwight and we need them to be playing well together.

Edited by zmarchbank, January 06, 2013 - 11:02 PM.

#16 lakersince75

lakersince75

Off The Bench

• 1,448 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted January 07, 2013 - 04:34 AM

LA has always overpaid. Luke Walton anyone?? The part I don't understand is the length of the contracts. Old is Old and defense is a young mans game. I think alot of the hype is with our socalled Basketball IQ. It's supppose to be high but I don't personally see it.

#17 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,146 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 07, 2013 - 04:36 AM

LA has always overpaid. Luke Walton anyone?? The part I don't understand is the length of the contracts. Old is Old and defense is a young mans game. I think alot of the hype is with our socalled Basketball IQ. It's supppose to be high but I don't personally see it.

If we didn't give Pau his contract we wouldn't have won titles. If we didn't get Artest we'd have lost to Boston.

We aren't really a one year deal team we're more of a want to succeed for 2-3 year team for the most part.

Those contracts only look bad if those players aren't playing up to their level. But Artest is having his best year in a while and Gasol is looking terrible.

If we were dealing with 1-2 year deals all the time we wouldn't have gotten some of the trade's we've pulled off in the last few years

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#18 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,737 posts
  • Name:Ignacio

Posted January 07, 2013 - 07:31 AM

Pau should be traded, MWP should be amnestied and D'Antoni should rot on the bench.

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#19 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,198 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted January 07, 2013 - 07:35 AM

pau gasol, ron artest, luke walton, sasha vujacic, jordan farmar

THIEVES

Pau Gasol is GONE

#20 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,482 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted January 07, 2013 - 07:36 AM

If Kobe was as dominant as everyone thinks, the Lakers would have a winning record. He is good. Very good. He is also way past his prime. I don't care what his scoring average is. At the end of games, he fails the eye test miserably.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users