Photo

Dwight Howard, On The Difference Between The Clippers And The Lakers: “They Share The Ball”

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Chad

Chad

Kings

• 3,318 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 05, 2013 - 11:07 AM

Posted Image
The confounding Lakers lost last night to the Clippers by five after going into the fourth quarter down 16. The loss dropped them to 15-17, 11th in a Western Conference that has roughly 11 solid contenders for the playoffs. While the team is still working to develop chemistry and Dwight Howard's back is clearly still bothering him, the disappointment can scarcely be blamed on injuries any more: the line-up, which, depending on how the rest of Howard's career plays out, features four likely Hall of Famers and a fifth that was once considered an MVP talent, is fully intact. This is the squad, and it has been since Steve Nash returned on Christmas day. This team, the one that sounded unstoppable before it stepped on the court, has played four games since its Christmas win over the Knicks and gone 1-3.

Throughout Los Angeles's struggles, Kobe Bryant has been more Kobe Bryant than ever. He's averaging as many minutes as he has since the 07-08 season, more points than he has since the season before that, and just under 22 field goal attempts per game, the most in the league by a full attempt. That statistic actually underrates the number of possessions he uses each game, because he's also fourth in the league in free throws attempted per game and tied for fifth in turnovers per game. His usage rate leads the league. Bryant has been the game's high-scorer in the Lakers' last 12 and the Lakers' high-scorer in their last 14—25 of 32 games overall.

So, a team of all-stars and Hall of Famers which should be formidable has led to Kobe Bryant's best—or most stubbornly heroic—individual season in a while, and a bad record. Dwight Howard, your thoughts on the crosstown rivals that beat you last night?

"Look at the difference between our team and theirs," Howard said. "They just play together. They share the ball. Everybody's excited when something happens. We have to be like that to be a great team."

Howard is currently playing with one of the best distributors of all time in Steve Nash and a brilliant passing big man in Pau Gasol. Tough to figure what's keeping the ball out of his hands.
Maybe Howard could tell Kobe to pass him the ball on Twitter? He sounds receptive—just tag it #mambatweets.

http://deadspin.com/...-share-the-ball

Edited by Real Deal, January 05, 2013 - 11:10 AM.

¡Hala Madrid! Neymar Rules!  

#2 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,866 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted January 05, 2013 - 11:16 AM

Need a link for any article posted.

As far as that statement goes, of course...the Clippers are a team that is compatible with each other in an offense that FITS.

Howard took 14 shots last night. Kobe took 25 to try and bring this team back from an 18-point deficit (maybe even more than that, I don't remember), and Kobe made what...15 of his 25?

Instead of guys like Artest chucking 14 (like he did the other night) and Meeks getting 13 shots last night...maybe Nash needs to take more than just four or five, seeing that he's a 50/40/90 guy.

But no, we have to run an offense that eventually relies on Kobe to carry this team in ISO's, because our guys can't run AND they can't shoot threes.

It's mind-blowing that this coaching staff can't understand that...and I feel it's about satisfying a coach and his favorite player (Steve Nash) more than anything else, and consequently, we'll end up just like their teams did, or worse.

#3 jasonC

jasonC

Rookie

• 36 posts
  • Name:Jason
  • Fan Since:When Steve Nash became a Laker
  • Fav. Laker:Steve Nash

Posted January 05, 2013 - 11:24 AM

Share the ball, excellent concept.

Kinda hard though when one player on your team takes more shots than anyone else in the league.
Kinda strange too considering he has a hall of famer and two other all stars to share the wealth with.

On a totally unrelated note, why isn't Antwan Jamison playing better or more?

#4 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,848 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 05, 2013 - 11:28 AM

Oh and they show an actual desire to win.

#5 KarlCalaguas12

KarlCalaguas12

Off The Bench

• 2,066 posts
  • Name:Karl
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 05, 2013 - 11:34 AM

Oh and they show an actual desire to win.

I agree on the bolded part, fido.

#6 MyJohnsonIsMagic

MyJohnsonIsMagic

It really is.

• 1,825 posts
  • Name:Johnson
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant.

Posted January 05, 2013 - 11:35 AM

I like how you highlighted "share the ball" but didn't include "they just play together" way to troll.

Ball movement is nice, but when certain players refuse to shoot the ball when they are open and within their range it kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it?

That isn't the only problem, lots of guys stand around and don't play off the ball, they don't help with off ball screens, they don't communicate on defense (they don't help or rotate on defense).

But "sharing the ball" is always the problem and then the finger gets pointed at Kobe SMFH

#7 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 11:37 AM

How about you stop turning the ball over

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#8 MrKnowItAll

MrKnowItAll

Starter

• 5,177 posts
  • Name:Yosif
  • Fan Since:I was born
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe bryant

Posted January 05, 2013 - 11:58 AM

Dwight and Meeks are walking turnovers. They are both better off never putting the ball on the floor.

#9 Nego

Nego

El Duro

• 1,136 posts
  • Fan Since:Lakers traded for Kobe

Posted January 05, 2013 - 12:32 PM

I don't see a happy ending here the more I think about it the more I think Dwight's gone after this failure of a season

Posted Image

#10 David

David

Hall Of Fame

• 9,122 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 12:36 PM

And make your damn free throws

KOBE. #VINO. BRYANT.

#11 Drazard

Drazard

The Death Bringer

• 1,748 posts
  • Name:Drazard

Posted January 05, 2013 - 01:06 PM

LMAO pass the ball to you?

How about learning how to figure out not turning the ball over

33bkfif.jpg

#12 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,866 posts
  • Name:Brandon

Posted January 05, 2013 - 04:20 PM

Share the ball, excellent concept.

Kinda hard though when one player on your team takes more shots than anyone else in the league.
Kinda strange too considering he has a hall of famer and two other all stars to share the wealth with.

Time to put you on ice.

Kobe has attempted 20+ shots per game in every championship he has won.

He attempted just as many as this year, or more, in two of his five (2001 -- 22.2 FGA/G, and 2010 -- 21.5 FGA/G).

He's throwing his EXACT career average of 4.7 APG. In all five championships, he never averaged over 5.5 APG.

He is shooting a career-high 48.3% from the floor.

1) We have two superstars, a borderline all-star in Nash and a mere role player in Pau Gasol. Nash is NOT 33 years old anymore, so stop acting like he's still an all-star caliber player. He could barely drop 13 PPG last year on a Suns team that desperately needed him to. We DO NOT have two other all-stars with Kobe and Howard.

2) Kobe is doing EXACTLY what he has done in his other five championship seasons...arguably better. And he did this three times with Shaq, who was better than Howard and Nash combined.

3) I don't even need a #3. Shut up, real talk.

#13 steven v

steven v

Off The Bench

• 1,876 posts
  • Name:steven
  • Fan Since:1980
  • Fav. Laker:The L.A. LAKERS

Posted January 05, 2013 - 04:24 PM

I don't see a happy ending here the more I think about it the more I think Dwight's gone after this failure of a season

probably a good idea.

Dwight was never the solution for this team.
The Lakers FO knows more than you. Sorry.

#14 LakersAllDay77

LakersAllDay77

Rookie

• 753 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Fisher

Posted January 05, 2013 - 04:39 PM

Dwight should look in the mirror. Anytime i see him attempt to dribble the ball its stripped and turned over. If i were Kobe i would never pass him the ball at end of game situations unless you want to give the other team the ball. Can someone explain to me why he gets the ball stripped so easily when the guy is a physical specimen? Real deal maybe you can enlighten me?

Never seen a big get the ball stripped so easy. If this is the Dwight we are going to have, i'd rather we trade him. I dont't know anymore, i was so excited when we got him and he has just been dissappointing with crappy free throw shooting costing us games, and his constant smiling when he makes big mistakes.

Just feel sorry for Kobe he plays his heart out and this team is just crap. Only other two people that have any heart are Nash and Metta. Just so frustrated.. don't want to see Kobe go out like this.

Edited by LakersAllDay77, January 05, 2013 - 04:40 PM.

#15 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 04:45 PM

I dont know wtf hes talking about. He sounds really unhappy. Just STFU and play. SMDH

Twitter.com/RamonaShelburne

Dwight: "If you're an alpha male, you don't have to always show that you're the alpha male. Just be who you are."

Dwight: "It's not about making your mark or going around pissing everywhere. You don't have to do that."

Dwight: "My presence is felt every day and I don't have to come here and growl and snarl at people."

Dwight: "They [teammates] like when I come in, have fun, and enjoy myself. If they can't do it, it's not a great working environment."

B4 u freak out over Dwight's ''alpha male" quotes, he was speaking generally. Can't conclude he's talking about Kobe. Tho one has to wonder

Here's the context: Kobe spoke first today. We relayed his quotes to Dwight. Then asked him generally if he saw himself as an alpha male

Dwight asked me to define "alpha male" behavior. I said: "It's a dominant, everybody get out of my way, I'm the man attitude"

Dwight said: "That's not being an alpha male. If you're an alpha male, you don't have to always show that you're the alpha male."

Like last stand mentioned he has some of those Lebron qualities hes not healing up well and his physical tools so far have abandoned him in the recovery process. Not handling that physical adversity well and hes being a little b1tch about it.

Edited by MDI, January 05, 2013 - 04:49 PM.

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#16 LakersAllDay77

LakersAllDay77

Rookie

• 753 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Fisher

Posted January 05, 2013 - 04:52 PM

Im getting annoyed with this guy. He's like a little girl.

#17 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,691 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 05, 2013 - 05:35 PM

I dont know wtf hes talking about. He sounds really unhappy. Just STFU and play. SMDH

Twitter.com/RamonaShelburne

Like last stand mentioned he has some of those Lebron qualities hes not healing up well and his physical tools so far have abandoned him in the recovery process. Not handling that physical adversity well and hes being a little b1tch about it.

1) Kevin Durant

Also also, Dwight was speaking generally.

Him and Kobe's definitions of alpha-male is different and they both see themselves as alpha male.

Seriously getting tired of the "every little quote" means something negative.

Know what quote deserves more attention? Pau's quote about it "not being his job" to involve himself into the offense.

That to me is a quote of more worry than Dwight's general opinion about what alpha-male means to him.

Edited by Majesty, January 05, 2013 - 05:36 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#18 5thDroog

5thDroog

Kapow!

• 14,731 posts
  • Fav. Laker:24,32,33,44,13,22,16,34,5,2

Posted January 05, 2013 - 07:08 PM

But no, we have to run an offense that eventually relies on Kobe to carry this team in ISO's, because our guys can't run AND they can't shoot threes.

It's mind-blowing that this coaching staff can't understand that...and I feel it's about satisfying a coach and his favorite player (Steve Nash) more than anything else, and consequently, we'll end up just like their teams did, or worse.

Kobe has to bail them out most of the time because the other 4 are just standing around watching. Dwight isn't fighting for position as aggressive as he can be, and Pau is much worse. Nash is too unselfish

#19 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,691 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 05, 2013 - 07:34 PM

Kobe has to bail them out most of the time because the other 4 are just standing around watching. Dwight isn't fighting for position as aggressive as he can be, and Pau is much worse. Nash is too unselfish

See what Hill does when he rolls to the basket off of screens from Nash he gets easy shots.

See what Pau does when he pops away from the basket off off screens? He doesn't get as good of shots and shoots worse.

if Pau freaking rolled to the basket just ONCE he'd benefit from Nash and make it so that Nash doesn't have to bring the ball back out and give it to Kobe cause the play is wasted because Pau refuses to go the right way

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#20 Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Rookie

• 391 posts
  • Fan Since:@birth

Posted January 05, 2013 - 07:40 PM

See what Hill does when he rolls to the basket off of screens from Nash he gets easy shots.

See what Pau does when he pops away from the basket off off screens? He doesn't get as good of shots and shoots worse.

if Pau freaking rolled to the basket just ONCE he'd only get 2-3" of elevation and get blocked at the rim.

FTFY

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users