• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#21 MyJohnsonIsMagic

MyJohnsonIsMagic

It really is.

• 1,825 posts
  • Name:Johnson
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant.

Posted January 05, 2013 - 02:10 PM

I hope Magic understands that Jerry was in on it, too...

Add Mitch too, they are both playing yes man to Jim.

#22 Alpha Four

Alpha Four

Fugitive Alien

• 501 posts
  • Fan Since:1992
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 05, 2013 - 02:39 PM

I hope Magic understands that Jerry was in on it, too...

Even though Jim Buss is a bit, lol...

Apparently nobody seems to get this.

Everybody knows everything about the Lakers FO. Everything "bad" that happens with us is attributed to Jim Buss.

Also Magic needs to STFU.

Edited by Poppy Bros. Jr., January 05, 2013 - 02:39 PM.

MDADefense_zpsb51f57fb.jpg

#23 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,853 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 05, 2013 - 03:00 PM

Magic knows all this but he has far more respect for Mitch and Jerry than he does for Jim.

Magic deserves to say whatever he wants to about the franchise he helped make an institution in L.A..

I just think most everyone can't cope with direct criticism of the organization from an honored pro.

#24 MyJohnsonIsMagic

MyJohnsonIsMagic

It really is.

• 1,825 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 03:02 PM

Magic knows all this but he has far more respect for Mitch and Jerry than he does for Jim.

Magic deserves to say whatever he wants to about the franchise he helped make an institution in L.A..

I just think most everyone can't cope with direct criticism of the organization from an honored pro.

Bingo.

#25 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,732 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted January 05, 2013 - 03:06 PM

I agree with him, Jeff Van Gundy would have been a great coach for this Lakers team.

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#26 MyJohnsonIsMagic

MyJohnsonIsMagic

It really is.

• 1,825 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 03:07 PM

I agree with him, Jeff Van Gundy would have been a great coach for this Lakers team.

Lets ask Dwight what he would of thought about being coached by the guy whos brother he had fired in Orlando (you know, Stan Van Gundy).

#27 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,732 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted January 05, 2013 - 03:25 PM

Lets ask Dwight what he would of thought about being coached by the guy whos brother he had fired in Orlando (you know, Stan Van Gundy).

The only thing that really matters is that JVG is an extremely good defensive-minded coach who has usally overachieved with his former teams.

Edited by Nak, January 05, 2013 - 03:26 PM.

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#28 MyJohnsonIsMagic

MyJohnsonIsMagic

It really is.

• 1,825 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 03:36 PM

The only thing that really matters is that JVG is an extremely good defensive-minded coach who has usally overachieved with his former teams.

The only thing that matters in what?

I really don't get what you are saying.

#29 noknife

noknife

Sixth Man

• 3,190 posts
  • Fan Since:1978
  • Fav. Laker:Shaquille Oneal/Kobe Bryant

Posted January 05, 2013 - 04:05 PM

Tragic is a troll. Great player. Bad talk show host. Bad coach. Terrible analyst.

#30 Cato

Cato

Rookie

• 432 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:THE BLACK MAMBA

Posted January 05, 2013 - 04:34 PM

Whether Magic should be criticizing the Lakers publicly is debatable. But everything that he says, even if it stings, tends to be true.

Jim Buss not hiring Phil was likely what doomed our season - it just seemed so right for him to come back, I think that was the only way to salvage our season. Magic has every right to call out Jim for that. Trading for Dwight and signing Nash does not excuse him for poor (or egotistical) decisions down the road.

#31 KobeWillReturnTriumphant

KobeWillReturnTriumphant

TheNefariousJim&HisSilverSpoon

• 1,768 posts
  • Fan Since:Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic/Kobe/Tony Smith

Posted January 05, 2013 - 05:28 PM

I find it humorous that people get offended when Magic criticizes the Lakers. Last I checked, the man was one of the primary reasons the Lakers brand became great. As a player he was exposed to one of the greatest coaches and the greater owner of all time. Clown on the guy all you want but when you separate his hyperbole from the bare facts of what he is saying, you should probably listen.
As far as Dr. Buss making the entire choice to hire/fire these destitute head coaches/hacks I think the truth may be a bit more convoluted. If Dr. Buss loves his son, maybe he takes more of the blame to shield Jim. Look at history, Jim Buss has twice hired loser coaches (for the same of argument I am not counting MDA) that were at a complete conflict with the assembled roster. Lets further look at Jim's insistence upon playing an increased role within the organization.
Dr. Buss was great because he brought vision and support to Jerry West and let the GM do his work. I would argue that across the spectrum of the sports world, whenever owners become partial or complete GMs things don't go well. The bungling of Phil Jackson, making Jeannie Buss illusive at games, taking over PJs office, and trying so hard to prove his basketball acumen are things that bother me. Yeah, Jim Buss was around for this epic offseason so he deserves some credit. However, as his insists upon being a public figure, he deserves blame for assembling a roster that had a junk bench and garbage coaches. Seriously you hire a coach recovering from knee surgery? Jim Buss isn't the sole problem, but to not point out that his imprint hasn't worked yet is also a cop out.

#32 5thDroog

5thDroog

Kapow!

• 14,731 posts
  • Fav. Laker:24,32,33,44,13,22,16,34,5,2

Posted January 05, 2013 - 07:12 PM

It's just common sense, you don't hire a coach who's system is faster than Jim Levinstein's climax when your personnel is built for a half court offense.

#33 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,195 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989

Posted January 05, 2013 - 07:28 PM

I agree with Magic. All he did was tell it like it is. It ain't working...why go away from what was working? Ego?!
Posted Image

#34 kray28

kray28

Rookie

• 1,161 posts
  • Fan Since:1988

Posted January 05, 2013 - 08:32 PM

Magic's not wrong about Jimbo.
Posted Image

#35 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,855 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted January 05, 2013 - 09:05 PM

Who hired Mike D in the 90s? Who hired Del Harris? Who hired Magic Johnson? Did those guys maximize the talent?

How many rings did Dr. Buss win in the 90s?

Magic is as emotional as some of the people on thew internet.

If Jim picked Andrew and that's his guy( even Magic said it) , then Jim was in charge when we won our last 2 rings.

People always want it both ways.

Last year we weren't winning with guys like Goudelock and sessions...this year he got 90% of the pieces we could have wanted and the 2nd most popular coach out there.

Are you telling me that KOBE and DWIGHT can ONLY win with Phil. If so, then TRUST me, the problem ain't Jim.

#36 MyJohnsonIsMagic

MyJohnsonIsMagic

It really is.

• 1,825 posts

Posted January 06, 2013 - 06:34 AM

If Jim picked Andrew and that's his guy( even Magic said it) , then Jim was in charge when we won our last 2 rings.

LMFAO

#37 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,853 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted January 06, 2013 - 02:12 PM

Bynum did nothing to help win either of those rings. Such a moot point.

#38 BasketballIQ

BasketballIQ

All-Star

• 6,855 posts
  • Name:2 Jordans and 2 Steves
  • Fav. Laker:24

Posted January 06, 2013 - 03:12 PM

Bynum did nothing to help win either of those rings. Such a moot point.

What?

YOU and I did nothing..Bynum was our best interior defender when we beat Orlando and Boston... He wasn't as important as Kobe or Pau or Odom but to say he did nothing is both inaccurate and insensitive. Bynum played through injury both time and we don't win in 2010 if Bynum decides he couldn't play with the torn meniscus BUT...

EVEN if BYNUM did nothing- Jim drafted Bynum so his ERA started in that year (2006), which means Ariza,Artest,Farmar, etc all were moves made under the Jim Buss era.

Let's not forget the great Dr. Buss was getting DUI's in 2007 and going to gambling tournaments while Lakers were playing very high profile games, so you either have to say Jim was the MAN when we won, or you can say he never drafted Andrew, that was a llie. People can't have it both ways.

#39 mikel24242

mikel24242

Rookie

• 1,390 posts
  • Name:mikel
  • Fan Since:1996
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted January 06, 2013 - 05:00 PM

Sign me up for this program. Where's the petition for Jeannie to take the helm?

hahaha you mean phil.... :woot:
"As far as me hitting a wall, so what if I did? I didn't, but so what if i did." - Kobe
what does it mean if you did?
"It means nothing" -Kobe
because...?....
"Cause, ill run strait through it" -Kobe

#40 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts
  • Name:Joshua
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted January 06, 2013 - 10:25 PM

It so obviously is, the fact that most people can't see it baffles me.

The rest of Magic's statements you can ignore, but hes spot on when he blames Jim for the troubles we have now.

Mike Brown wasn't a fit in the first year, he should of been fired in the off season so that we could of had a training camp
with another coach and we wouldn't be going through the learning experience throughout the season.

Piss poor management, then instead of hiring the guy whose offense won us 5 championships he gives the okay to D'antoni.

So far the Lakers have been playing through Kobe, so why wasn't the triangle a good idea again?

You are correct

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users