Photo

Steve Nash: "I'd love to shoot 20 times a night."

Nash expresses himself

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,060 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 05, 2013 - 01:35 AM

Steve Nash took it upon himself to eliminate the misconception that he needs to shoot more or that he isn't being aggressive enough. Stating that, in fact, he'd love to put up 20 shots a night.

"I took what shot's I had, there were maybe 1 or 2 shots I passed up I could have taken, but that would have still gotten me only 6 or 7 shot attempts. Quite honestly I'd love to shoot 20 times a game. Absolutely I'd like to shoot more. But I need to react to what the defense gives me, and the defense double teams me hard after pick and rolls so naturally I'll give it to my teammate who should be getting an easier shot. I would love to shoot more often but I can't afford to force shots up. Not with this team. We have so many skilled players here I'd be doing them a disservice to not find them when they are wide open and instead force up bad shot attempts.

But if you're asking me if I'd love to shoot more.. yes, I'd love to take more shots, but if I'm being double teamed hard I'm going to be giving it to a teammate that has an easier shot instead of forcing it. The problem or I guess the paradox is that we need to figure out our connectivity and our rhythm, the bad side of it is that we don't have much time. So while we're finding those things out we need to play with an urgency and some players HAVE to be aggressive or we're in trouble."

Nash has never steered wrong any time before and I have to agree with his assessment. When he's doubled hard off screens that's supposed to be when Pau and Dwight move without the ball to the basket or create an easier opportunity for themselves for him to get the ball.
Dwight did do that tonight(21), Pau didn't(2 points), Hill did(13) :)

It's obviously clear, there is one person on Nash's mind when he talks about "aggression" and "urgency" that MUST be played with. Cause everyone else has been benefiting off the pick and rolls when aggressive. Especially tonight it was apparent who was, and who wasn't.

Edited by Majesty, January 05, 2013 - 02:44 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#2 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted January 05, 2013 - 01:45 AM

This whole topic is just stupid to me. Nash's main job is to facilitate not score. That's what he did tonight. When you're playing with guys like Kobe and Dwight you're not be able to put up 20 shots a night. Nash will take shots when available, but he ain't gonna be taking 20 a night and he shouldn't. This was a game where once again we scored just fine. 102 points, but the main problem continues to be defense.
htCCl0m.png

#3 Viper

Viper

Rookie

• 455 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 01:46 AM

I can't find the source for this online from my phone.

Can you please post the original link?

#4 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,060 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 05, 2013 - 01:59 AM

This whole topic is just stupid to me. Nash's main job is to facilitate not score. That's what he did tonight. When you're playing with guys like Kobe and Dwight you're not be able to put up 20 shots a night. Nash will take shots when available, but he ain't gonna be taking 20 a night and he shouldn't. This was a game where once again we scored just fine. 102 points, but the main problem continues to be defense.

What I'd really like to see honestly is what I saw tonight with Kobe feeding Nash the ball.

Kobe getting Nash wide open threes has worked for us before. But again Pau throws us off

more from Trudell

Mike Trudell@LakersReporter
Nash acknowledged the paradox of LAL needing time to figure out connectivity/rhythm & not having much time w/losses mounting.

More on Nash about Pau

Posted Image Kamenetzky Brothers@KamBrothers
Nash on Pau: "Six months ago he was unbelievable in the Olympics. That's still in there somewhere." BK

Jamison on Pau

Posted Image Ramona Shelburne@ramonashelburne
Jamison: "You can't say you're hurt or you're tired. [Kobe]'s been doing this for 17 yrs & is still leading the league in scoring."

Edited by Majesty, January 05, 2013 - 02:01 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

#5 Disaster in Paradise

Disaster in Paradise

Kimagure Orange Road

• 9,037 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Grant

Posted January 05, 2013 - 02:04 AM

At least Jamison realizes what's up with Gasol.

"You watch anime?"

- "Yeah, I just got into it! Just recently, I just started watching Attack on Ti-"

"Get away from me, pleb."

#6 L.A.K.E.R

L.A.K.E.R

Gomu Gomu

• 14,859 posts
  • Name:Shamim
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 05, 2013 - 02:16 AM

He needs to shoot way more. We didn't bring him here to just play like Steve Nash in Phoenix where he just facilitates for others and takes a handful of shots every night. That's completely ignoring his abilities as the greatest shooting pointguard of all time. The whole point of pairing Kobe and Nash was so they would open up eachother's games. That hasn't really happened to this point for Nash, Kobe's been fine. Nash needs to shoot far more than he has to this point, otherwise we're completely misusing his talents. He is the best shooter on this roster, there is absolutely no reason why he shouldn't shoot more from beyond the arc, especially when a guy like MWP is jacking up nearly 6 a night.

We can't keep playing Nash as if we're the LA Suns. He needs to adapt to the fact that he's playing alongside Kobe Bryant and Dwight Howard and look for his shots. An aggressive Nash who is a threat from the perimeter opens up the game more than a Nash whose sole objective seems to be facilitating the offense and passing in the pick-and-roll (instead of looking for his shot). Our three best players should be seeing the majority of the shot attempts on a nightly basis, not the likes of MWP or Gasol who are completely inefficient.

#7 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 2,044 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 02:26 AM

Someone has to do a better job with gasol. someone has to wake him up. Kobe has to call him out more, diss him ,make fun out of him.. anything .. the guy has to show his aggressive side .. his lack of confidence is inevitable. a starter cannot have 2/4/2 ..

Howard wasn't effective despite 21/15 ..

When we see howard and gasol have the energy like hill has we'll start winning ..

back to Nash,

yes he should shoot more, his ability to score is unbelievable.. but he made it clear, he wont force shots or turn down a better look for others.. but he should defiantly average couple more buckets.

Edited by fozi, January 05, 2013 - 02:33 AM.

#8 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,918 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted January 05, 2013 - 03:25 AM

Jamison knows what the [expletive] is up

Pau needs to man the [expletive] up.

2div

#9 Rad

Rad

• 1,644 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 03:32 AM

Pau needs to man the [expletive] up.

No, Pau needs to be shipped the [expletive] out.

#10 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,918 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted January 05, 2013 - 04:03 AM

What NBA team wants him with the way he's been playing

Dude belongs on the Sparks

2div

#11 Estate

Estate

Rookie

• 235 posts
  • Name:Dennis
  • Fan Since:Since Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic! Kareem!

Posted January 05, 2013 - 06:03 AM

Why is Pau jacking up 3's....he is never a threat from beyond the arc...clearly something is wrong.

#12 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,371 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted January 05, 2013 - 07:11 AM

Well Nash was terrible last night. IF he is gonna let CP3 check him & make the night that difficult for him = at least he could do is gun. He has to forget about his career averages & take more shots period. It cant always be wide open looks. He is good enough to take contested shots.

4 shots a quarter Nash focus on that
Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#13 gque24

gque24

Starter

• 4,371 posts
  • Fan Since:1985
  • Fav. Laker:KOBE

Posted January 05, 2013 - 07:31 AM

Why is Pau jacking up 3's....he is never a threat from beyond the arc...clearly something is wrong.

Cause he doesnt understand how to take 2-3 steps closer in to make that wide open shot a mid range more realistic shot for him! he is the sole reason why he keeps getting further & further away from the basket. his lolly gagging is beyond annoying
Never Wrong Always Right Like Freeway Exits!!

#14 jasonC

jasonC

Rookie

• 36 posts
  • Name:Jason
  • Fan Since:When Steve Nash became a Laker
  • Fav. Laker:Steve Nash

Posted January 05, 2013 - 08:30 AM

Regardless, Nash needs to take more shots than he does. Put up at least 10 a night my man, what kind of 2 time MVP only has 4 FGA's?

#15 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted January 05, 2013 - 08:56 AM

Well Nash was terrible last night. IF he is gonna let CP3 check him & make the night that difficult for him = at least he could do is gun. He has to forget about his career averages & take more shots period. It cant always be wide open looks. He is good enough to take contested shots.

4 shots a quarter Nash focus on that

Terrible? :laughing:

The man has 12 points and 10 assists in just 30 minutes.
htCCl0m.png

#16 jasonC

jasonC

Rookie

• 36 posts
  • Name:Jason
  • Fan Since:When Steve Nash became a Laker
  • Fav. Laker:Steve Nash

Posted January 05, 2013 - 10:10 AM

Someone who is the only player in history to shoot 90% from the free throw line, 50% from the field and 40% from three point land multiple times(Mark Price and Larry Bird both did it at least once) should not be that gun shy. It was frustrating to watch last year in Phoenix when he would nail back to back threes at the end of a game just to keep his team in it. I would always be like "Why didn't you do that 3 minutes ago when it would have made a difference?" I don't know why he is more reluctant to shoot these days, it wasn't a problem before.

• 40,603 posts

Posted January 05, 2013 - 02:25 PM

He needs to shoot way more. We didn't bring him here to just play like Steve Nash in Phoenix where he just facilitates for others and takes a handful of shots every night. That's completely ignoring his abilities as the greatest shooting pointguard of all time. The whole point of pairing Kobe and Nash was so they would open up eachother's games. That hasn't really happened to this point for Nash, Kobe's been fine. Nash needs to shoot far more than he has to this point, otherwise we're completely misusing his talents. He is the best shooter on this roster, there is absolutely no reason why he shouldn't shoot more from beyond the arc, especially when a guy like MWP is jacking up nearly 6 a night.

We can't keep playing Nash as if we're the LA Suns. He needs to adapt to the fact that he's playing alongside Kobe Bryant and Dwight Howard and look for his shots. An aggressive Nash who is a threat from the perimeter opens up the game more than a Nash whose sole objective seems to be facilitating the offense and passing in the pick-and-roll (instead of looking for his shot). Our three best players should be seeing the majority of the shot attempts on a nightly basis, not the likes of MWP or Gasol who are completely inefficient.

:clap2:

yo.

#18 GCMD

GCMD

All-Star

• 6,887 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted January 05, 2013 - 09:49 PM

Nash is a true ball player. A really smart player who just wants to play the game the right way. I wish the rest of the team just followed his lead.

#19 Mehran The Great

Mehran The Great

Immortal

• 2,841 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24

Posted January 05, 2013 - 10:55 PM

Everyone in the team and fans are asking Nash to shoot more. I don't mind his shots. Just do well.

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users