#1 Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan

Go Lakers!

• 6,333 posts
  • Name:JD
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe & Shaq

Posted January 01, 2013 - 05:13 AM

This is a theory I have on the Lakers struggles and inconsistency this season. I honestly believe that after we signed/traded for Steve Nash and then also traded for Dwight Howard everyone kind of felt like we were the team to beat even though we had yet to play a game together. If you all remember correctly our two championships teams particually the 2009 one had a real issue playing down to the competition. Remember that Rocket team without Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady taking us to the brink of elimination because we thought it would be easy? I think that same thing has happened this season. When you got all this talent on a roster I think you feel like we don't gotta play hard every night. We can just beat teams on talent. I think when you compound that with losing a great player and leader like Steve Nash. You have a team that while talented, but lacking depth and leadership at the point guard position and it was a pretty horrendous start. 9-14. Since than though 6-1. I believe they're starting to realize we can't take teams for granted anymore. We gotta go out there compete, execute, and if you do that you'll start winning games consistently which has been the case since Steve Nash has been back.

Despite the mediocre record I still fully expect a championship.

Edited by Cowboys&LakersFan, January 01, 2013 - 05:16 AM.

htCCl0m.png

#2 Estate

Estate

Rookie

• 235 posts
  • Name:Dennis
  • Fan Since:Since Showtime
  • Fav. Laker:Magic! Kareem!

Posted January 01, 2013 - 05:31 AM

First of all..Mike Brown was a bad choice to begin with going back to last year when we should of taken OKC to game 7...instead we went to a game 7 with Denver. So by the time we play OKC, it's history. Miami was happy to face OKC than us Lakers...our size will dominate the heat or at least match them up better than OKC.

Coming in the his years, MB implemented the Princeton when you have a healthy Nash...he should of focus on PnR and D12 FT.

Too high expectation for all the pieces that haven't played together...

Then injuries...Blake, Nash, Pau

Of all we went thru and still at .500 ATM looking in....stay under the radar of being an elite them (which is impossible when you have Mamba, D12 & Nash...

Our main obstacle now is Health...if all stay healthy, we'll peak going into the playoffs...

Inconsistently with so many new pieces and high expectation is normal...

#3 24allday

24allday

Rookie

• 1,388 posts
  • Name:Gavin
  • Fan Since:3rd grade - first started watching and loved Kobe
  • Fav. Laker:Mamba, #STAYSWAG

Posted January 01, 2013 - 08:32 AM

2 new starters, 3 coaches this season if you include bickerstaff, Dwight Howard coming off major surgery, seems logical to think we would have problems with all that going on

#4 fozi

fozi

Off The Bench

• 1,768 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 09:02 AM

Well if thats the case, we would have realized that way before ..

its more of learning each other's timing and tendencies. we face different teams,different strategies and so we react differently..

but if the players themselves don't know whats wrong, then its all speculations.

#5 Jay Cee

Jay Cee

• 1,552 posts
  • Name:James
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The Mamba

Posted January 01, 2013 - 10:15 AM

In hindsight I say the slow start makes sense and I should have seen it coming. But at the time I believed this group could get off to a quick start. The pieces we have made sense, I thought it would be a pretty smooth transition for all the guys.
I wasn't anticipating all the craziness though. Losing Nash, losing Blake, firing Mike Brown, losing Pau, and I just assumed that since Dwight was playing he'd be fine (clearly he hasn't been the same Dwight he was in Orlando yet, which should have been obvious to me considering he wasn't expected to play until December/January during the offseason). Then bringing in a new coach and a new offense, and we still haven't got our backup pg back. I know Blake sucks, but he is better than Duhon/Morris in my opinion. Maybe Morris can still be used for his energy and defense.
Probably shouldn't even mention Morris, somehow our late 2nd round draft pick from a couple years ago who hardly does anything is a hot button issue for some people. Seen many "spirited" debates about him for some reason, I don't get it. Seems innocuous.

#6 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,017 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted January 01, 2013 - 10:35 AM

my theory that ill bet all my money on ,is that dwight not being 100% is why we're not the best team in the league

Kobe and Randle led Lakers lead the team to a 32-50 record. the Lakers select Myles Turner with the 5th pick.

#7 -Wade-

-Wade-

知己知彼,百戰不殆

• 5,879 posts
  • Name:Chao ❤
  • Fan Since:▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一
  • Fav. Laker:♛ Kobe Bryant

Posted January 01, 2013 - 11:27 AM

My theory around the Lakers inconsistencies isn't one much of inconsistency, per say. Many people were expecting the Lakers to come out and straight dominate. Yes, I was one of the people who hoped that, but I did not expect it.

As stated, LAL has gone through major change. Major change does not mean instant success. It often leads to a greater required persistence to make it work and get fit into it.

wKNsigp.png

"I'm always a firm believer in us being able to make our own decisions." --Kobe Bryant

#8 MyJohnsonIsMagic

MyJohnsonIsMagic

It really is.

• 1,825 posts
  • Name:Johnson
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant.

Posted January 01, 2013 - 11:27 AM

really don't care, just take it day by day and don't slack, work hard play harder.

#9 Nego

Nego

El Duro

• 1,136 posts
  • Fan Since:Lakers traded for Kobe
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted January 01, 2013 - 11:56 AM

Horrible defense is my theory

Posted Image

#10 MDI

MDI

Jesus Fan

• 35,947 posts

Posted January 01, 2013 - 12:09 PM

Injuries and having like 20 different starting lineups

Nash/Kobe/Gasol/Howard/Metta
Blake/Kobe/Gasol/Howard/Metta
Morris/Kobe/Gasol/Howard/Metta
Duhon/Kobe/Jamison/Howard/Metta
Duhon/Kobe/Hill/Howard/Metta
Duhon/ Kobe/Ebanks/Howard/Metta
Duhon/Kobe/Gasol/Howard/Ebanks
Nash/Morris/Gasol/Howard/Kobe

Injuries injuries injuries and Mike Brown. No other reasons

Howard hasn't been 100%, Pau missed a handful of games, Nash missed like 25 games. Mitch and Jim constructed this team to have these 3 guys play a huge role for this team and they haven't been able to...obviously the drop off between them and Hill, Metta, Duhon, Morris, etc is HUGE thats why we have been inconsistent and our record hasn't been impressive...we've won 6 of the last 7 thanks to some continuity! I have no doubt in my mind if we stay healthy the rest of the way and the playoffs we're the best team in the league

9u6kvo.png

Props to sidthekid871

#11 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,808 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted January 01, 2013 - 12:14 PM

my theory that ill bet all my money on ,is that dwight not being 100% is why we're not the best team in the league

This. Not the sole reason but to me its the biggest. Dwight right now is not 100% and is not dominating like he normally would be. That energy he had against POR is what he would bring every night if he was healthy, you saw how we ran POR out the building when he was firing on all clyinders.

This and team chemistry on the court too. With injuries and a switching rotation players havent been able to play together and develop this. Nash has helped a lot with this and really helped the team mesh a lot faster than what it normally would take. When Dwight is fully healthy though our team can still live up to the expectations we put on them.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#12 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,017 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted January 01, 2013 - 05:16 PM

This. Not the sole reason but to me its the biggest. Dwight right now is not 100% and is not dominating like he normally would be. That energy he had against POR is what he would bring every night if he was healthy, you saw how we ran POR out the building when he was firing on all clyinders.

This and team chemistry on the court too. With injuries and a switching rotation players havent been able to play together and develop this. Nash has helped a lot with this and really helped the team mesh a lot faster than what it normally would take. When Dwight is fully healthy though our team can still live up to the expectations we put on them.

yup. dwights putting up 18/12 and it hasnt been impressive,imo. imagine how many more rebounds he'll get when he starts to go and GET them,on the offensive and defensive glass,we'll have more posessions (you think jordan hill is the rebound master,wait til dwights 100%). on top of more posessions, our offense will be more potent.at the moment dwight isnt the best pick n roll man in the league,but add a few more inches on his vert and its lob city purp n gold edition. also ,a healthier dwight will of course improve our D, he'll be blocking/changing at least 5 shots a game,shoot he's at about 3-4 changed shots a game now.

after the 2010-11 season ESPN had Dwight ranked as the #2 player in the nba. but,considering ALL of the aspects dwight either dominates(boards/D) or almost dominates(20ppg shooting 50+ %) , i think dwight is the best player in the league , no player effects a game more.

btw, nash was very recently quoted saying that dwight will be the mvp of the team... just saying..

Edited by GMTradePau4aBench, January 01, 2013 - 05:17 PM.

Kobe and Randle led Lakers lead the team to a 32-50 record. the Lakers select Myles Turner with the 5th pick.

#13 LakersChamps243

LakersChamps243

5 rings on one hand. Onto the next. Silencing all the haters

• 5,358 posts
  • Name:Stephen

Posted January 01, 2013 - 06:09 PM

It's not a theory lol. It's true

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there" - John Wooden

#14 Red September

Red September

Your Future Ex

• 2,712 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000ish
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24`

Posted January 01, 2013 - 09:56 PM

You know my theory is? Defense and Rebounding. Common sense

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

#15 Notorious Arab

Notorious Arab

Starter

• 4,853 posts
  • Fan Since:When I came to the USA

Posted January 01, 2013 - 10:22 PM

Well how'd that go.

Posted Image

#16 MadSci

MadSci

Stay Gold

• 4,753 posts

Posted January 02, 2013 - 12:07 AM

We suck ass lol... I dont even know anymore

The North Remembers

#17 SportyIntellectual

SportyIntellectual

Rookie

• 159 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted January 02, 2013 - 12:57 AM

I blame the fans who endorsed the signings of Jamison and Blake and *continue* to talk about those guys as if they're keys to an NBA team's success.

#18 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,696 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 02, 2013 - 02:08 AM

James Worthy on the Bigs and Inconsistencies on defense tonight

"This wasn't about their shot not going in. This was about stopping the other team's ball going in. Spencer Hawes shouldn't be outplaying Dwight Howard, healthy or not after 3 days rest off simple pick and pops. But his mind wasn't set to do what he was supposed to do."

Gotta agree with James, was disappointed by the inconsistencies of the bigs tonight. On BOTH ends.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#19 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,924 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted January 02, 2013 - 05:25 AM

Dwight has been a no-show in our last 2 losses.

He was pretty dominant in our last win.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#20 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,696 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted January 02, 2013 - 05:27 AM

Dwight has been a no-show in our last 2 losses.

He was pretty dominant in our last win.

That's how the story will go with a majority of our wins and losses at this point.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users