#41 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 36,647 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted December 31, 2012 - 04:08 AM

The way the Lakers play from game to game, their attitude, their response to the coaching, the way they play defense and the completely inconsistent way they play the game right now, yes.

have you been watching Dallas, Denver and Minnesota play lately??? Dallas and Minne are in a worse place than we are in terms of how they are playing right now and both teams major stars are coming off of injury and either barely having playing time or came back too soon and is gonna take weeks to get back into form.

Here is why I jump on Greg anthony and why I'm challenging you.

You're entertaining that the Mavericks with an injured Dirk Nowitski 3 weeks from getting into game shape is going 38-13.
and hat Minesotta whose main point guard came back too quickly from injury and is gonna take a while longer to regain his timing is going 36-16 along with Denver...

and that it has a BIGGER chance of happening... than the Lakers going 35-17...

Just consider that...Dallas with an injured Nowitski a month away from returning to form has a better chance of going 38-13 than the Lakers do of going 35-17... And that without Rubio the Timberwolves have a bigger chance of going 36-16 than the Lakers do of going 35-17... that is what someone like Greg Anthony would be conceding...

Do you understand why I think that's silly and overly pessimistic? TO out and out try to say that Dallas going 38-13 in their current position AND OFF A SIX GAME LOSING STREAK has a more probable chance of happening that we can entertain it and that we should be more skeptical that the Lakers do of going 35-17..

Sorry but I'm more skeptical that Dallas would ever go 38-13 with Nowitski a month away from form and his team coming off a six game losing streak or that Minesotta who is struggling is gonna go 36-16.

if we went on five 6-1 streaks like the one we just had we'd have close to 50 wins.

Edited by Majesty, December 31, 2012 - 04:16 AM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#42 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,847 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted December 31, 2012 - 04:18 AM

I'd love to see the Lakers suddenly wake up, but this mini streak doesn't impress me.

I totally understand your points, but right now, no matter what the gap, the Lakers are looking up at the top 8. You're overly focused on what the other teams can or can't do and I think you're failing to see the wildly inconsistent and downright terrible play the Lakers have given so far. More attention should be given to what the Lakers have so far shown what they can and can't do.

I don't know why you think the Lakers could pull off 35-17 right now in any way, shape or form either. The schedule gets nothing but tougher now. The easy part of the Lakers schedule has gone away mostly. The leeway they had in the beginning of the year to establish a solid position is now gone. I have seen very little from this team right now that tells me they can put together 5 other 6-1 streaks.

I want them to prove me wrong, I really do. You can challenge Greg Anthony all you want, but his position on the Lakers playoff chances is completely legitimate.

Until the Lakers show that they care about winning on a night in and night out basis, and can get through a stretch of games winning the way they should be winning, I'll continue to doubt them - and their chances of accomplishing anything more than a quick first round exit.

Again, I hope they prove me wrong.

#43 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,647 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 04:24 AM

I'd love to see the Lakers suddenly wake up, but this mini streak doesn't impress me.

I totally understand your points, but right now, no matter what the gap, the Lakers are looking up at the top 8. You're overly focused on what the other teams can or can't do and I think you're failing to see the wildly inconsistent and downright terrible play the Lakers have given so far. More attention should be given to what the Lakers have so far shown what they can and can't do.

I don't know why you think the Lakers could pull off 35-17 right now in any way, shape or form either. The schedule gets nothing but tougher now. The easy part of the Lakers schedule has gone away mostly. The leeway they had in the beginning of the year to establish a solid position is now gone. I have seen very little from this team right now that tells me they can put together 5 other 6-1 streaks.

I want them to prove me wrong, I really do. But again, you can challenge Greg Anthony all you want, but his position on the Lakers playoff chances is completely legitimate.

Until the Lakers show that they care about winning on a night in and night out basis, and can get through a stretch of games winning the way they should be winning, I'll continue to doubt them - and their chances of accomplishing anything more than a quick first round exit.

Let's just say the wildly inconsistent Lakers that went on a 6-1 run to end the year and whose team seems to be getting healthier have a better chance of going 35-17 than the Dallas Mavericks who ended it 0-6 with their star a month away from recovering fully have of going 38-13 :) And that's all I shall say on that.

And we haven't been wildly inconsistent lately, we actually have been playing with more confidence, especially since Nash's return things seem to be falling more into place lately, our offense is fine, just defense. And honestly watching us play the last 4 games we seem to have found an offensive identity and am adding more dimensions to it game by game. And as Pau said, their ARE specific post plays D'antoni has designed for him that we haven't run yet. Even still our offense seems much better with Nash handling the ball, and our late in the game high pick and roll attack seems to be our identity.

Our problems are on defensive effort and rebounding. So that's what I'll look for. And 5 of those 6 wins were won because we shut the other team down defensively late in the game. So that's looking like where we want to hang our hats.

But watch Portland, watch Denver, watch Houston, watch Utah, watch Minnesota for a few days and then watch us.

Those teams are WAY more inconsistent looking than we look right now, we seem to be semi finding a groove, while these teams seem to hit a brick wall. So you can tell why I'm not so worried.

I'll say this, if we were the same team that went 0-4 we wouldn't have beaten New York or Golden State or Portland(who had won 7 of their last 8 before running into us and have now won 10 of their last 9 their lone loss being to us) the entire reason we're even .500 right now is because we started finding a nitch. And it's starting to work for us. That is what I'm seeing right now.

Edited by Majesty, December 31, 2012 - 04:28 AM.

#44 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,865 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 31, 2012 - 04:34 AM

It's clear that Greg Anthony is assuming this Lakers team will not get any better than they are right now.

I wonder if he also believes the Clippers will win the NBA championship.

#45 Majesty

Majesty

• 36,647 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 04:50 AM

It's clear that Greg Anthony is assuming this Lakers team will not get any better than they are right now.

I wonder if he also believes the Clippers will win the NBA championship.

Isn't Novak also the best shooter in the NBA?

#46 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,919 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fan Since:1981
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted December 31, 2012 - 05:09 AM

He could say the same thing about the Mavs, Twolves, Jazz, Nugs, Rockets and Blazers - but no one woud click on the link.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#47 Nak

Nak

2014 When wishes come true

• 3,732 posts
  • Name:Ignacio
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 31, 2012 - 06:29 AM

It is actually a possibility, who knows?

Arguably the greatest franchise ever

#48 MyJohnsonIsMagic

MyJohnsonIsMagic

It really is.

• 1,825 posts
  • Name:Johnson
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant.

Posted December 31, 2012 - 06:32 AM

Greg Anthony is an idiot. That's what I think.

I'm surprised you didn't get more likes to this comment bro.

#49 Lakers4Life

Lakers4Life

Bleeds Purple & Gold

• 3,269 posts
  • Fan Since:1999

Posted December 31, 2012 - 06:49 AM

IF he said this when we were 9-14 and looking like crap its OKAY. But at 15-15. After goign 6-1 and looking about 10x better since Gasol and Nash return you make that call? Thats just stupid.
Laker fan for life.

#50 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,109 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 07:23 AM

It's possible that Greg Anthony will turn to potato entering to new year.

Wanna know the odds, Greg?

#51 Piston Honda

Piston Honda

Rookie

• 391 posts
  • Fan Since:@birth

Posted December 31, 2012 - 07:25 AM

The last time the Lakers were winning games in succession (Bickerstaff era), they followed it up with a bunch of losses. And now the Lakers are entering the tough part of their schedule. So at the end of January they could still be a .500 team or worse while HOU, DEN, and MIN pull 1-2 games ahead, assuming they play to their winning percentage.

I think the point that fido is trying to make is that the possibility is real. Although the possibility of them making the playoffs is more likely based on their recent play, but there's very little room for error at this point.

#52 True Lakers Fan

True Lakers Fan

Dead Discussion! You will not win, because I will not lose&#

• 23,086 posts
  • Name:Kyler Hay
  • Fan Since:1990
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe, Nash.Young, Farmar

Posted December 31, 2012 - 08:05 AM

its not even the All-Star break and this team is getting better and better

Kobe%20Bryant%20Sig%20v3.jpg

#53 UKUGA

UKUGA

All-Star

• 5,919 posts
  • Name:UKUGA
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Posted December 31, 2012 - 08:09 AM

And as fun as the 50-win discussion remains, the current teams seeded 6-8 in the Western Conference are on pace to win 44, 44 and 43 games, respectively.

From my little perch in Charlotte, the Lakers look like a 47-51 win team, given the remaining schedule and the team's speculative "upside".

Barring catastrophic injury, I think the Lakers will end up with the 5th or 6th seed.

www.twitter.com/ukuga

#54 Lagunero

Lagunero

☑ Nash ☑ Howard - Win Championship ☐

• 1,617 posts
  • Fan Since:98
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe, Kareem, Shaq.

Posted December 31, 2012 - 08:57 AM

the bobcats will make the playoffs.

Anthony is a moron.

Posted Image

#55 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,044 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted December 31, 2012 - 09:30 AM

I agree with most of your post except for this part.

I think what looks like lack of effort is really the Lakers showing their age. You can't blame guys in their mid to late 30s looking tired after playing in the high 30s to low 40s in minutes every game.

Posted Image

#56 Cato

Cato

Rookie

• 432 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:THE BLACK MAMBA

Posted December 31, 2012 - 10:29 AM

Fido's right - this isn't a team capable of winning a championship right now.

There needs to be a few additions for us to get to that level, and Dwight HAS to be 100% healthy and the defensive monster he was in Orlando.

We don't need to trade Pau, but we do need to bring in an athletic SF and back up PG. We simply cannot contend with our 3 rotation and back up PGs.

Let's be real everyone, we're STARTING Darius Morris.

#57 fido

fido

Analyst, Moderator, Insomniac

• 10,847 posts
  • Name:Andy
  • Fan Since:1982

Posted December 31, 2012 - 11:03 AM

Age has nothing to do with it.

Thank Piston Honda, you actually understood what I was saying. I can tell by the passionate responses from a lot of people that in the back of their heads not making the playoffs remains a very large concern whether people want to admit it or not.

#58 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,377 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 11:24 AM

Age has nothing to do with it.

Thank Piston Honda, you actually understood what I was saying. I can tell by the passionate responses from a lot of people that in the back of their heads not making the playoffs remains a very large concern whether people want to admit it or not.

For me, it's a very small concern. Three weeks ago? It was a huge concern.

We are playing better, that's what it comes down to. Are we playing championship level ball? No but we are on the right path to that.

#59 Japago

Japago

Sixth Man

• 4,044 posts
  • Name:Pat

Posted December 31, 2012 - 11:24 AM

Fido's right - this isn't a team capable of winning a championship right now.

There needs to be a few additions for us to get to that level, and Dwight HAS to be 100% healthy and the defensive monster he was in Orlando.

We don't need to trade Pau, but we do need to bring in an athletic SF and back up PG. We simply cannot contend with our 3 rotation and back up PGs.

Let's be real everyone, we're STARTING Darius Morris.

I think people need to realize this roster was flawed from the very beginning. In a league that's becoming more about speed and scoring in transition, the Lakers had a huge speed disadvantage in 4 of 5 positions.

Even D'Antoni saw it, which is why he's playing Kobe more at 3 and Metta more at 4.

Posted Image

#60 Lords of the Rings

Lords of the Rings

Get Cho Basketball On

• 3,761 posts

Posted December 31, 2012 - 12:44 PM

have you been watching Dallas, Denver and Minnesota play lately??? Dallas and Minne are in a worse place than we are in terms of how they are playing right now and both teams major stars are coming off of injury and either barely having playing time or came back too soon and is gonna take weeks to get back into form.

Here is why I jump on Greg anthony and why I'm challenging you.

You're entertaining that the Mavericks with an injured Dirk Nowitski 3 weeks from getting into game shape is going 38-13.
and hat Minesotta whose main point guard came back too quickly from injury and is gonna take a while longer to regain his timing is going 36-16 along with Denver...

and that it has a BIGGER chance of happening... than the Lakers going 35-17...

Just consider that...Dallas with an injured Nowitski a month away from returning to form has a better chance of going 38-13 than the Lakers do of going 35-17... And that without Rubio the Timberwolves have a bigger chance of going 36-16 than the Lakers do of going 35-17... that is what someone like Greg Anthony would be conceding...

Do you understand why I think that's silly and overly pessimistic? TO out and out try to say that Dallas going 38-13 in their current position AND OFF A SIX GAME LOSING STREAK has a more probable chance of happening that we can entertain it and that we should be more skeptical that the Lakers do of going 35-17..

Sorry but I'm more skeptical that Dallas would ever go 38-13 with Nowitski a month away from form and his team coming off a six game losing streak or that Minesotta who is struggling is gonna go 36-16.

if we went on five 6-1 streaks like the one we just had we'd have close to 50 wins.

I always tell people to watch the League, watch the conference, watch the division....... and watch who is playing who and when.
I agree the other teams have to win also........... against us.... and the REST of the League....... Example...everyone has B2Bs....but whats important is who you play before and after those B2Bs....and whos healthy. For an "expert" to make a prediction and not explain using all of the variables involved is CRAZY and has no credability.....with me anyway. Again I'm with you....who is most likely to win 46-50 out off the teams who are around 500 now?? We have a better chance of the ones that are.
The LAKERS always have to contend with also the Networks wanting them to play certain teams that are ratings hits during lulls in the NFL season...Sundays....Thursday Nights...........The next 10 games highlight this aspect........ so though the season seems to get tougher....we will eventuall benifit........down the road from some teams slipping because they will face a 'tough" schedule also.

We went through a rough patch a few years ago....then came out of the ALL STAR break and went 17-1. Yeah we got bounced outta the playoffs in the 2nd round, but hey who knew that a fading Mavs team would get hot?
The Jerseys Hanging from the Rafters represent LAKER GREATS who are also NBA GREATS

LAKERS NO FAKERS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users