#1 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 35,883 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted December 28, 2012 - 05:20 PM

Thought this would be a nice piece, especially for the naysayers that say Kobe is somehow a terrible leader, and it ALSO provides some nice advice and banter here and there from the Mamba himself. Enjoy it, Kobe is quite the leader... IF you can take it

Chris Douglas-Roberts "Kobe taught me how to be a pro"

CDR recently penned an excellent Tumblr post describing his tough climb back to the NBA.

Here is his section on his time with the Lakers:

"Then out of no where, the Lakers called. They wanted me to come in and earn a spot. Once I got that call, it was made up in my mind that I’d be a Laker. I knew I was going to go in there and showcase my talent. Which I did. The very first day I was 1 on 1 partners with Kobe. And we were going at it. [expletive] talking…elbows were thrown. To my surprise, after that first practice Kobe went to media and spoke highly of me. Everyday I played well and practiced well. Kobe continued to mentor me along the way. The Laker fans embraced me. I just knew I was in.

"Then I got a call from Leon (my agent) saying they were going to let me go. They told me I played great. The numbers on the business side just wouldn’t work. It was one of the worst phone calls I’ve ever gotten, but I was at peace because I knew I played my ass off. I brought it every day. My motto is “control what you can control” and I did that. That didn’t matter though. Once it got released that the Lakers let me go, the people thought it was due to my game. People had jokes. People wrote me off. It was embarrassing. However, I took positives away from my month with the Lakers too.

"I developed a relationship with Kobe Bryant. He showed me how to be a pro. He showed me real work ethic. Playing against him everyday made me so much of a better player. He understood me. He understood that its a difference in having a bad attitude and being competitive and wanting to win every drill/game. One night after a game and we were in the showers and he told me 'you have no other choice. You were put here to be basketball player. You have to fight until you’re one of them boys. You’re too talented. I played behind mfers that I was better than up until my third year but I KNEW I would be who I am today then. I work too hard not to break through.'

"That stuck with me. So I appreciate the opportunity the Lakers gave me. I looked at that month with the Lakers as an internship under Bean. I gained knowledge that I couldn’t have gotten any other way. That’s what I took from that situation. It’s all about how you respond when times are rough."

The entire article is worth a look: http://humble-flashy...y-i-believe-the

But I didn't post this to praise CDR I actually posted it as yet another example of how GOOD of a leader and a mentor Kobe is.

People always seem to love to question his leadership or his ability to reach young players, because of his sternness. Here is a player whose life he left an impact on that he'll take with him for a very long time.

With Kobe it is as it always has been, if you can take it, the benefits will always outweigh any negatives especially when he takes the time to share that type of knowledge with players that he feels is truly worth it because of how hard they work and their determination.

Kobe is an great leader and the only reason he doesn't get more credit for it is because he's easy to make the a-hole and he doesn't look for attention because of the way he can lead.

Anyway, good on Kobe for doing this!!!!

Edited by Majesty, December 28, 2012 - 05:21 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

• 40,365 posts

Posted December 28, 2012 - 05:38 PM

Amazing article, amazing read. Great post. I can't wait till CDR gets his proper chance. He's got too much skill, passion, & competitiveness not to succeed. I really feel it's just a matter of time and proper opportunity.

yo.

#3 MysticBlu~

MysticBlu~

Rookie

• 943 posts
  • Name:Jennie
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted December 28, 2012 - 05:45 PM

Great read!

#4 Majesty

Majesty

Grats on making the Raiderettes cuzzo!!

• 35,883 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted December 28, 2012 - 06:06 PM

Amazing article, amazing read. Great post. I can't wait till CDR gets his proper chance. He's got too much skill, passion, & competitiveness not to succeed. I really feel it's just a matter of time and proper opportunity.

Pretty much, gambling on Ebanks for the contract over Barnes and/or CDR was an issue.

Thing is Barnes was still with us in pre training camp but Ebanks had already gotten the contract I believe. And the reason he held out on it was because he didn't want to be a piece in a trade for someone like Dwight Howard.

So Ebanks got his contract and we weren't able to sign the likes of Barnes back, or give CDR a well deserved contract, and yet for it all Ebanks has given us jack squat and legal troubles. SO there is a reason why the Lakers are trying to unload him. I'd throw Dallas a bone and see if they'd swap with CDR. They aren't playing him much anyway and have him there just to fill roster space.

But as I said, this just shows the kind of impact Kobe can have on young player who's willing to work hard and listen. I know if I was ever on any team with the guy I'd soak up any and all knowledge I could no matter how hard it came or how much I hurt in the morning cause of practice with the guy :laughing:

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores 

#5 ggim125

ggim125

Off The Bench

• 1,703 posts
  • Name:Glenn
  • Fan Since:1994
  • Fav. Laker:Black Mamba...attack, conquer

Posted December 28, 2012 - 06:25 PM

Great read...hope CDR does well in the league (well, unless it's against the Lakers).

As far as Kobe's leadership goes, I think most players, if not all, have been influenced by Kobe's work ethic. It's mostly the media (and some fans) that questions his leadership...

1949, 1950, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1972, 1980, 1982, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010

Kundla, Pollard, Mikkelsen, Martin, Lovellette, Mikan
Chick, Baylor, West, Wilt, Goodrich, Wilkes, Magic, Kareem, Worthy, Shaq, Kobe, Pau

#6 West Coast

West Coast

LakerNation Staff

• 21,345 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 28, 2012 - 10:25 PM

I do wonder if CDR would be on this team if D'Antoni was the coach from the get go.

#7 FranklinPeanuts

FranklinPeanuts

Just A Fan

• 3,072 posts
  • Name:JP
  • Fan Since:Since 1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson

Posted December 29, 2012 - 01:01 AM

^^ West

I do wonder if CDR would be on this team if D'Antoni was the coach from the get go.

I really think so West Coast... Kid can shoot and create his own shot.. I would think that Ebanks would've got the boot..
Posted Image

#8 Tensai

Tensai

█▄█▄█ █ █▀█

• 3,084 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 09:04 AM

where is he now? maybe we can still get him.

#9 androsays

androsays

representing infinity with presidencies

• 4,668 posts
  • Name:andro
  • Fan Since:90s
  • Fav. Laker:kobe

Posted December 29, 2012 - 09:30 AM

he's on the mavs

2div

#10 TKainZero

TKainZero

Renaissance Man

• 12,867 posts
  • Fan Since:1986
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 29, 2012 - 01:28 PM

I watched him play in the macs and he looks good

He is a big body on the wing
He would have been a much better sparing partner then Meeks, Morris, or ebanks for Kobe

Im not sure of the contract situation with CDR in dallas. 10 day contract vs 1 year

#11 Cj2008nw

Cj2008nw

Sixth Man

• 3,115 posts
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 30, 2012 - 12:52 PM

Why can't we just trade DJO for CDR

Edited by Cj2008nw, December 30, 2012 - 12:53 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)