#42 lakersince75

lakersince75

Off The Bench

• 1,448 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted December 29, 2012 - 06:01 AM

Where are you Phil..

Laughing his ass off in a cabin in Montanna waiting for 15 million per year from the Brooklyn Nets

#43 lakersince75

lakersince75

Off The Bench

• 1,448 posts
  • Fan Since:1975
  • Fav. Laker:Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Posted December 29, 2012 - 06:09 AM

Cause that 5 game winning streak where we played defense well to get us into games and Howard acknowledged the team was finally starting to "get it" all dissipated after one loss?

You mean that streak of games that most college teams could have won?? When we start beating Indiana, Memphis and Denver I will be happy. I won't even talk about OKC, Miami and San Antonio

#44 MyJohnsonIsMagic

MyJohnsonIsMagic

It really is.

• 1,825 posts
  • Name:Johnson
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Magic Johnson, Kobe Bryant.

Posted December 29, 2012 - 06:13 AM

This isn't news to most of us, this is exactly the reason why some of us wanted Phil back because we knew with Phil
back Rambis' hiring would follow and the defense would be addressed.

#45 Thanatos

Thanatos

Rookie

• 1,249 posts
  • Fan Since:2002

Posted December 29, 2012 - 09:18 AM

Everybody just overreacting after one bad game. Lakers looked pretty good last night, didn't they?
Posted Image

#46 Disturbed

Disturbed

Rookie

• 321 posts
  • Fan Since:1968
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted December 29, 2012 - 09:57 AM

Defense is played with heart and soul and speed and athleticism. This time of year defense is played at the end of close games, and is played more often in games between rivals, however come playoff time defense becomes a much higher priority and is played most of the game. Teams that have the will, talent, speed and athleticism will be the winners. OKC MIAMI CLIPPERS are the cream right now with MEMPHIS and maybe the BULLS with a healthy Rose will also rise. Memphis because they will beat you up in a 7 game series. Right now MWP, DH,Kobe and Morris are the Lakers defense...at this time the Lakers have holes in the defense and are not as good as the others mentioned before in my opinion. If the Lakers do not add some toughness speed and athleticism I don't believe they can win it all.
NEARLY ALL MEN CAN STAND ADVERISTY, BUT IF YOU WANT TO TEST A MAN'S CHARACTER, GIVE HIM POWER.
Abraham Lincoln

#47 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,034 posts
  • Fan Since:1998
  • Fav. Laker:#8

Posted December 29, 2012 - 10:03 AM

Defense is played with heart and soul and speed and athleticism. This time of year defense is played at the end of close games, and is played more often in games between rivals, however come playoff time defense becomes a much higher priority and is played most of the game. Teams that have the will, talent, speed and athleticism will be the winners. OKC MIAMI CLIPPERS are the cream right now with MEMPHIS and maybe the BULLS with a healthy Rose will also rise. Memphis because they will beat you up in a 7 game series. Right now MWP, DH,Kobe and Morris are the Lakers defense...at this time the Lakers have holes in the defense and are not as good as the others mentioned before in my opinion. If the Lakers do not add some toughness speed and athleticism I don't believe they can win it all.

one on one defense is played with the above things you metioned. but one on one defense is only half of defense in its entirety. while one on one on ball defense is being played, team defense is being played at the same time(4 guys playing team D, one playing on ball D,on ball is stil actually in the team D scheme,too,depending on shading) , team defense doesnt require all of those things you mentioned,tho, its played well with practice, as DH12 said.

#48 evil Monkey

evil Monkey

Rookie

• 418 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted December 29, 2012 - 10:08 AM

TC: I still don't know why you haven't replied to me. The topic title is misleading; mods should change it.
Posted Image

L.E.G.I.T.

#49 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,034 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 10:11 AM

TC: I still don't know why you haven't replied to me. The topic title is misleading; mods should change it.

youre calling a ticky-tack foul. the mods obviously dont agree with the call, or they would have changed the title from the jump, eh, maybe they will now..

#50 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 29, 2012 - 10:15 AM

youre calling a ticky-tack foul. the mods obviously dont agree with the call, or they would have changed the title from the jump, eh, maybe they will now..

It should be changed so I'll give you a chance to do it yourself.

#51 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,034 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 10:21 AM

It should be changed so I'll give you a chance to do it yourself.

you can do it, or just delete the thread since everyones too cool and too smart to care about it, verification is overrated huh

#52 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 11:03 AM

you can do it, or just delete the thread since everyones too cool and too smart to care about it, verification is overrated huh

Not sure what your deal is, but stop acting like a little kid who just got scolded by his parents.

You posted the thread title with a statement in quotes as if Dwight said those exact words. He wasn't quoted as saying that and you should have worded it differently.

#53 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,034 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 11:36 AM

Not sure what your deal is, but stop acting like a little kid who just got scolded by his parents.

You posted the thread title with a statement in quotes as if Dwight said those exact words. He wasn't quoted as saying that and you should have worded it differently.

thats not my issue at all, i could care less because essentially,dwight said they need to practice defense. what im upset about is the fact that this thread is no big deal to most here. thats what i was talking about in my response to u

#54 Disturbed

Disturbed

Rookie

• 321 posts
  • Fan Since:1968
  • Fav. Laker:Magic

Posted December 29, 2012 - 11:39 AM

one on one defense is played with the above things you metioned. but one on one defense is only half of defense in its entirety. while one on one on ball defense is being played, team defense is being played at the same time(4 guys playing team D, one playing on ball D,on ball is stil actually in the team D scheme,too,depending on shading) , team defense doesnt require all of those things you mentioned,tho, its played well with practice, as DH12 said.

There is no doubt that team defense is the most important, and is always being played to some extent, however you never know who you are going to be matched up against form possession to possession so you have to communicate with your teammates and the communication has to be talked about with the coaching staff, how the team plays the p&r needs to be talked about and practiced and playing the p&r from team to team can change, that also needs to be talked about and coached for sure. But when push comes to shove it comes down to the players willingness to give the max effort to make it succeed.
NEARLY ALL MEN CAN STAND ADVERISTY, BUT IF YOU WANT TO TEST A MAN'S CHARACTER, GIVE HIM POWER.
Abraham Lincoln

#55 West Coast

West Coast

LN Senior Editor

• 21,428 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 11:42 AM

thats not my issue at all, i could care less because essentially,dwight said they need to practice defense. what im upset about is the fact that this thread is no big deal to most here. thats what i was talking about in my response to u

It's not a big deal because its not a surprise to anyone. They hired D'Antoni for offense knowing his defensive past.

#56 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,034 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 11:45 AM

It's not a big deal because its not a surprise to anyone. They hired D'Antoni for offense knowing his defensive past.

they should have told him he needs to change his ways on D,a little at least. i didnt expect our savior of a coach to come in and be neglagent to one side of the ball,,,,our savior of a coach shouldnt have had such tremendous flaws

Edited by GMTradePau4aBench, December 29, 2012 - 11:47 AM.

#57 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,986 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted December 29, 2012 - 12:13 PM

they should have told him he needs to change his ways on D,a little at least. i didnt expect our savior of a coach to come in and be neglagent to one side of the ball,,,,our savior of a coach shouldnt have had such tremendous flaws

Pretty sure we kicked ass on defense last night and its not like portland it a bad team. They are a .500 team.

#58 iDreamShake

iDreamShake

Off The Bench

• 2,034 posts

Posted December 29, 2012 - 12:25 PM

Pretty sure we kicked ass on defense last night and its not like portland it a bad team. They are a .500 team.

im pretty sure dwight knows what hes talking about..he said they need to practice defense more, so, they need to practice defense more

#59 bigfetz

bigfetz

Laker Fan

• 17,986 posts
  • Fan Since:2005

Posted December 29, 2012 - 12:46 PM

im pretty sure dwight knows what hes talking about..he said they need to practice defense more, so, they need to practice defense more

Thats the video where he says all the quotes from your article. That is a frustrated pissed off dwight.

Here there is a interview after the last game. Its after the highlights
http://latimes.cinesport.com/los-angeles-sports/howard-powers-lakers-past-trail-blazers/
This is a normal dwight howard.

He was frustrated last game nothing more. Players can be pissed and it happens.

#60 Majesty

Majesty

Luol Deng's cousin is awesome. Thanks for the pizza!!

• 41,459 posts
  • Name:Jay
  • Fan Since:1987
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe present, Magic past

Posted December 29, 2012 - 02:10 PM

Yeah, it is funny though how no one really comments on the fact that D'antoni has said many times he's thinking defense first with this group and that is the sole reason why Morris starts and that he wants him to develop into a defensive combo guard that can give Nash some rest on his legs especially against the quicker point guards. If Morris can do what he did with Lilliard as well as play controlled and hit some shots it will benefit Nash a LOT! That's how D'antoni feels about it and I agree. When Morris doesn't have to leave 3 minutes into the game an Metta have to come in and carry the load there, it benefits the team greatly.

After the game Kobe also stressed the importance of it saying that there isn't a lot of guards his size in the league that can be a combo guard known for their defense, and he says it's a perfect opportunity for Morris to get that reputation if he wants it. Kobe believes in him and Metta works with him.

I won't say that I'm sold 100% but I will say that he goes to Steve Nash to learn about being a point guard, he goes to Kobe to learn about game moments and mentoring, he goes to Metta World Peace for tips on defense and he goes to Bernie to learn how to slow his game down. The kid is taking every single advantage he has to get better so I give him credit. Whether or not it stays consistent we'll see.

But D'antoni's entire lineups are based on defensive matchups now. It's tellable. it's why Jamison doesn't get playing time when we are against forwards that either put it down, fight in the post, or fight for rebounds and Jamison does get playing time against stretch 4s.

Edited by Majesty, December 29, 2012 - 02:14 PM.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to Djokovic? - Robert Flores

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users