9 replies to this topic

#1 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,866 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted October 27, 2008 - 04:06 AM

Over the last four years, my site has been warned twice for posting full articles (by Yahoo and ESPN).

Here on out, we need to enforce this here. Post 2-3 blocks of text, and link to the rest of the article.

You may not understand why other sites want this, but there are two main reasons:

1) With this being the biggest reason, the article links give hits to those sites providing the article...and, what's the point of even clicking the link if the entire article is posted elsewhere?

2) To be sure credit is given to the correct author/source, viewing the full article on the original page is necessary.

Let me put it this way: if you wrote a huge season preview, posted it in your featured blog (say you're paying for a website of your own), and wanted everyone to read it...would you be angry if sites were copying your text and posting it everywhere, without a link and without proper credit? Not to mention, they'd post the full article, and nobody would visit your site, which means you lose hits and, in some cases, revenue from your ad placement.

Just a couple of blocks of text posted, with a link at the top or bottom...and it not only helps their site out, but may keep TLN out of trouble.

Thanks guys. :huh:

#2 Guest_Nissan_*

Guest_Nissan_*

Posted October 27, 2008 - 10:28 AM

You should also quote the article. :nervous:

#3 SaintNicholasVanExel

SaintNicholasVanExel

"Dont put that kind of pressure on him."

• 3,271 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Fan Since:Birth
  • Fav. Laker:Terry Teagle

Posted November 19, 2008 - 02:03 PM

So, how does the blog get away with dirtbagging 10+ paragraph (in some cases) articles?

#4 Guest_Nissan_*

Guest_Nissan_*

Posted November 19, 2008 - 02:25 PM

So, how does the blog get away with dirtbagging 10+ paragraph (in some cases) articles?

Post some examples...

#5 SaintNicholasVanExel

SaintNicholasVanExel

• 3,271 posts

Posted November 19, 2008 - 03:37 PM

i'm not going to go back through everything, but a lot of posts on the blog are longer than "a couple blocks of text"
http://lakernation.c...-stay-positive/
just one of them.
i'm not trying to cause any problems, i just found that kind of weird.

#6 SaintNicholasVanExel

SaintNicholasVanExel

• 3,271 posts

Posted November 19, 2008 - 03:38 PM

another
http://lakernation.c...-like-mind-set/

#7 Guest_Nissan_*

Guest_Nissan_*

Posted November 19, 2008 - 03:43 PM

This is not more than 2-3 paragraphs. Explain to me how this is more than 2-3 paragraphs. You can't post 8-10 sentences in one paragraph, when you're posting a blog/post because it's going to be too hard to read it. If TLN was breaking this rule... why doesn't anybody contact TLN about the forum and blog?

Stay positive, Luke Walton tells himself. Continue working hard, Walton reminds himself. Don’t get down or discouraged, Walton keeps repeating.

These are not the best of times for Walton, his playing time dwindling to almost nothing.

He is averaging 3.37 minutes a game, the lowest on the team.

This has happened two years after Walton was the starting small forward for the Lakers, when he averaged 33 minutes. Last season, Walton averaged 23.4 minutes.

He has played in seven of the nine games this season for the Lakers, but his minutes have been limited.

“I’m surviving,” Walton said. “But I’m working my tail off and waiting for my opportunity. That’s all I can do.”

The stat sheet said Walton played three minutes even Tuesday night against the Chicago Bulls.

Walton first entered the game with 8.1 seconds left in the first quarter. He replaced Lamar Odom, who picked up his first foul.

Walton entered the game again with 22.5 seconds left in the second quarter, again replacing Odom, who picked up his third foul. Walton missed his only shot in the second quarter.

He entered the game for the final time with 2:29 left, finishing 0 for 2 with zero points.

#8 SaintNicholasVanExel

SaintNicholasVanExel

• 3,271 posts

Posted November 19, 2008 - 03:50 PM

damn. defense.
i don't know. it says "blocks of text," not paragraphs.

L.A. Times: When Magic Johnson spoke Wednesday about the Lakers and what confronts them this season, his voice was serious about how it has to be all about €œbusiness.€

Johnson had come to talk at halftime of the Lakers-Clippers game about how he and his wife, Cookie, cried when hearing that Barack Obama had become the president-elect Tuesday night and would become the first African American to hold the highest office in the United States.

Johnson spoke about how Obama was competitive from playing basketball and how he has that fire that burns deep inside.

In Johnson€™s eyes, the Lakers should have that same zest after losing to the Boston Celtics in the NBA Finals.

He recalled how the Lakers had the better team, but still lost to the Celtics in the 1984 Finals. He recalled how the Lakers came back the next year and beat the Celtics for the championship.

Johnson€™s team was on a mission in 1985, and that€™s what he wants to see from this talented squad.

€œThey have to remember that this is a business year, though,€ Johnson said.

€œOne thing that we always did is we always understood that it was a business year. . . . Like when the Celtics beat us in €˜84, we came back and made it a business year.

€œAnything and everybody in front of us, we were going to destroy and we were going to get back to that Finals. So they€™ve got to do the same thing. Everybody in front of them, they have to take them out and get back to that Finals to see if they can€™t win it all. So hopefully they€™ll be in that mind-set, and it looks like they have started that.€

that's a better example. more than half the article is c&p'd in. again, i don't really care, i just brought up a question. Just wondering if there was any correlation between the guidelines for the message boards, and the blog itself.

Edited by SaintNicholasVanExel, November 19, 2008 - 03:51 PM.

#9 Real Deal

Real Deal

Legend

• 14,866 posts
  • Name:Brandon
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted November 26, 2008 - 08:38 AM

I'm not sure, to be honest. From my understanding, the rules apply to anything...but I'm here to manage the forums, so it's my job to make sure this happens here. :)

#10 SaintNicholasVanExel

SaintNicholasVanExel

• 3,271 posts

Posted November 29, 2008 - 01:27 PM

thanks real
:thumbsup:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users