Photo

LeBron: If I Wanted To, I Could Lead The League In Scoring, But That's Not My Job Here

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 LALakersFan4Life

LALakersFan4Life

16 Time NBA Champions Los Angeles Lakers!

• 10,578 posts
  • Fan Since:1989
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe and Ron Artest

Posted December 24, 2012 - 10:03 AM

Posted Image

By Tom Haberstroh | ESPN.com

MIAMI -- So, what's more impressive to LeBron James?

He has scored at least 20 points in each of his first 23 games this season. He's the first player to do that since Karl Malone in 1989. Not bad. But then there's this: James hasn't been whistled for a foul in five straight games.

He was called for an offensive foul in the first quarter against New Orleans two weeks ago, but not a whistle since. That's a span of 212 minutes and change.

So which streak is James more proud of?

"The foul thing is more impressive to me," James said at Saturday's shootaround ahead of the Heat's matchup against the Utah Jazz. "I don't care about scoring as much."

James is averaging a career-low 18.2 field goal attempts per game this season and he admitted that he sometimes wonders what it'd be like to have 20 or 25 shots per game like some other superstars have taken over the years.

Currently, James ranks fifth in scoring with 25.2 points per game behind Kobe Bryant, Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Durant and James Harden. But Bryant and Anthony have a greater license to shoot this season, averaging over 20 field goal attempts per game.

James won the scoring title in 2007-08, the season after he reached the NBA Finals. He averaged 30.0 points per game that season and the Cavs lost in the Eastern Conference semifinals to the Boston Celtics.

If James could shoot the ball that much, the scoring title would be his, James believes.

"If I wanted to, I could lead the league in scoring, but that's not my job here," James said.

"My job is to do a lot of everything -- rebounding, passing and defending so that takes away from my scoring. I've done (the scoring title) before. I'm capable of doing it, but my game sometimes doesn't allow me to have those big nights."

Heat coach Erik Spoelstra says James' scoring streak has been more impressive to him because James isn't solely focused on scoring. James has also managed to rank in the top 10 in assists and Spoelstra made it a point to note that James was the only non-point guard in the top 10.

If James wasn't so concerned about passing, how much could James average in the scoring column?

"He could average 37 points a game, realistically I think," said Spoelstra.

Back in 2005-06, James scored a career-high 31.4 points per game while averaging 23.1 field goal attempts per game, but he wasn't nearly as efficient as he is now. James is shooting 54.2 percent from the floor and 43.4 percent from downtown here in his 10th season in the NBA.

As if James hasn't been impressive with his physical play already, James ran through the numbers in his head in front of reporters.

"I'm shooting 54 percent from the field right now, so if I shoot 54 percent at 25 shots a game? Pff, that's like ... doing my math ... that's 27 points right there. That's without shooting free throws and shooting 42 percent from the 3-point line."

If he maintained those percentages, the scoring title would likely be his.

"I could do it if I wanted to," James reiterated.

When a reporter brought up the fact that Bryant took 46 shots when he scored 81 points, James laughed and said he wouldn't be able to do that on this Heat team with Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh also needing the ball.

"There's only a couple guys in the league that can do that, shoot 46 shots and Kobe is one of them," James said with a smile. "Melo, KD, maybe when he's feeling it. Monta (Ellis). Wow, 46 shots. I don't know."

The five games without fouling is James' longest streak since 2009 when the streak evolved into another impressive feat: just three fouls over the course of nine games. The longest foul-less streak over the past 15 seasons belongs to Steve Nash, who registered a goose egg in the "PF" column for 11 consecutive games last season in Phoenix.

James can extend both his scoring and foul-less streaks on Saturday against the Jazz, but he joked that the reporters jinxed him.

"I'm about to have two fouls in the first three minutes (on Saturday)," James joked to the circle of reporters. "And going to the bench, you watch me, I'm going to look at you guys over there. I know where you all sit."

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miamiheat/story/_/id/8772666/lebron-james-says-lead-league-scoring-not-my-job-miami-heat

#2 KB24BlackMamba

KB24BlackMamba

Rookie

• 396 posts
  • Name:Kevin
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant

Posted December 24, 2012 - 10:14 AM

So could Durant, if he didn´t have Westbrook on his team, probably Melo too, and Kobe is the leading scorer right now. I still think that those 3 I mentioned are still better pure SCORERS than James while James being a better complete offensive player.

Edit: And when he would take more shots and more 3 pointers, he sure wouldnt have a 54% FG and a 43,4 % from downtown. More shots, more chance of an error .

Edited by KB24BlackMamba, December 24, 2012 - 10:35 AM.

Posted Image

#3 NYCLakerfan

NYCLakerfan

RIP

• 14,066 posts
  • Name:Joshua
  • Fan Since:2000

Posted December 24, 2012 - 10:24 AM

He prob could even though he's not as good of a pure scorer as Melo, KD, and Kobe he still scores mad easily and efficiently

#4 PhillyLaker24

PhillyLaker24

Sixth Man

• 3,808 posts
  • Name:Joseph
  • Fan Since:2001
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bean Bryant

Posted December 24, 2012 - 11:30 AM

He prob could even though he's not as good of a pure scorer as Melo, KD, and Kobe he still scores mad easily and efficiently

I agree with everything here. All the guys you mention are better scorers then James, and if James did set out to do that I'm sure he would. The again if any of the guys you named try to do that they would do it as well.

All I want for Christmas is a Laker girl :D

#5 King Joseph

King Joseph

Rookie

• 153 posts
  • Name:Jonas Joseph
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe Bryant & Lamar Odom

Posted December 24, 2012 - 12:15 PM

I think with James he would probably be the more efficient of all the top scorers. So if he wanted to average 35, he probably would have the best percentage.
Terry "Mother[expletive]ing" Kennedy: "Skateboarder Pro"

Posted Image

#6 flota

flota

Barca, Lakers, Cowboys, Chivas

• 2,368 posts
  • Fan Since:2008
  • Fav. Laker:Magic, Kobe

Posted December 24, 2012 - 01:01 PM

hes a complete player, if he wanted to he would lead in scoring, he doesnt want that
Imposible is nothing.

There is no such thing as a plea of innocence in my court. A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time. Guilty. Inquisitor Lord Fyodor Karamazov.

Alea Iacta Est. Julius Caesar.

• 40,395 posts

Posted December 24, 2012 - 01:55 PM

I'm pretty sure he's said this before, possibly last season. Don't know why he has to keep repeating himself. This goes without saying anyway. We already know this.

yo.

#8 Windu

Windu

Shatterpoint

• 43,079 posts
  • Name:Will
  • Fan Since:1999
  • Fav. Laker:Kobe

Posted December 24, 2012 - 06:17 PM

Oh shut up

Pau Gasol is GONE

#9 LakeShow805

LakeShow805

Superstar

• 7,458 posts
  • Name:Tyler
  • Fan Since:2000
  • Fav. Laker:The mamba

Posted December 24, 2012 - 06:19 PM

Not with Kobe and Durant in league

#10 LikeABosh

LikeABosh

Off The Bench

• 2,537 posts
  • Fan Since:Kobe/Fisher
  • Fav. Laker:Fisher

Posted December 24, 2012 - 07:03 PM

No doubt

#11 Paris

Paris

Rookie

• 587 posts
  • Fan Since:1998

Posted December 24, 2012 - 09:59 PM

AND, YOUR POINT. no reason for that to be said. don't talk about it, do it then.

#12 LakersChamps243

LakersChamps243

5 rings on one hand. Onto the next. Silencing all the haters

• 5,358 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Fan Since:Birth

Posted December 24, 2012 - 10:15 PM

AND, YOUR POINT. no reason for that to be said. don't talk about it, do it then.

Exactly. It's just like his comment on Mike Brown getting fired, saying that wasn't right. Shut the [expletive] up.

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there" - John Wooden

#13 Red September

Red September

Your Future Ex

• 2,712 posts
  • Name:Mehran
  • Fan Since:early 2000ish
  • Fav. Laker:Who ever has that number 24`

Posted December 24, 2012 - 11:47 PM

Ehhh, and Kobe can avg 40+ ppg if he really wanted to.

Man I promise, I'm so self conscious, That's why you always see me with at least one of my watches - Kanye West

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users